PDA

View Full Version : Roland Hemond?

bahn1225
01-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Roland Hemond will be the speaker at a local banquet coming up soon.
My question is; what does he do?
I know his title is Executive Adviser to the General Manager
which sounds great; but what does he actually do?

Daver
01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Not a hell of a whole lot.

I don't even think he has an office anymore.

voodoochile
01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Maybe he can teach people how to type in regular fonts...:?:

Soxforlife
01-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Roland Hemond talks to scouts and does some scouting himself. He advises Kenny on the decisions and is basically just a mentor type for Kenny. He does still have an office though I believe. After having several conversations with him, he is a great guy with a lot of knowledge.

jake27
01-20-2005, 08:08 PM
hes former GM of the white sox back in the day if im correct

Soxforlife
01-20-2005, 08:20 PM

Yes he was manager of Baltimore and the Sox and won executive of the year a couple of times. He has been in the game since he was in his early 20's

popilius
01-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Yes he was manager of Baltimore and the Sox and won executive of the year a couple of times. He has been in the game since he was in his early 20's

Are you sure he was a Major League manager, or just a Minor League manager? I can't find his managerial stats anywhere online or in my books. . .
:gulp:

Dadawg_77
01-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Are you sure he was a Major League manager, or just a Minor League manager? I can't find his managerial stats anywhere online or in my books. . .
:gulp:

General Manager.

Daver
01-20-2005, 09:27 PM

He never was a manager, he has been a general manager though.

Soxforlife
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
General Manager.

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear ... he was general manager of both.

dickallen15
01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Roland is a great guy. He'll talk to just about anyone, and answer all of your questions. My dad and I sat next to him at a Spring Training game about 20 years ago when the Yankees used to train in Ft. Lauderdale. The Sox usually would come down there for 1 game, and we happened to be there for that. He was talking about trades, all kinds of Dick Allen stories,,(he is my all-time favorite), he mentioned the White Sox were going to trade for Doug DeCinces but backed out after a couple of doctors looked at his back. The Sox won the game that day and Roland said even if its spring training its always nice to beat George.

bahn1225
01-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Thank you for you insights everyone.

I also apologize for this offensive font.:redneck

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Roland has so many great stories, he should write a Sox book.

Tekijawa
01-21-2005, 09:51 AM

He pulled a KW in 1983 and revamped the whole team, somethign like 18 roster changes or something in a 24 hour period... I hope the outcome is simmilar...

Dan H
01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Roland has so many great stories, he should write a Sox book.

I have approached him about a book about his career, but he is hesitant to to do it. Doesn't think fans would be interested.

Nick@Nite
01-21-2005, 10:15 AM
My dad and I sat next to him at a Spring Training game about 20 years ago when the Yankees used to train in Ft. Lauderdale. The Sox won the game that day and Roland said even if its spring training its always nice to beat George.

I agree with you, Roland. :cool:

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I have approached him about a book about his career, but he is hesitant to to do it. Doesn't think fans would be interested.

I know I'd be more than interested in reading a book on Hemond. I enjoy hearing and learning about my favorite era in Sox baseball 1967-1975. BTW Dan, "1959 and Beyond" is an excellent read. Enjoyed it on the flight home. Thanks!!

Medford Bobby
01-21-2005, 01:16 PM
:smile: Here's my Rollie Hemond story...When my Dad was still a meat cutter around 1972ish or so...My Dad was so excited about the White Sox around this time that he wrapped up about 5lbs of steak and dropped it off at Sox Park. I seemed to remember he addressed it to Chuck Tanner. Well a few days later we get a call at the house and I answer the phone and it was Rollie Hemond. I knew who he was and was surprised to hear him call us. I think he wanted to thank my Dad, but he was working. Any way, he sends us some Box seat tickets. I remember them being great seats, but don't remember the game.

About 5 years ago at Tucson Electric Park, Rollie was still a Diamondback executive. I saw Jerry Colangelo and former Rockie GM Bob Gebhart talking and asked Jerry if Rollie Hemond was around. He said I could find him at some box seat section. I said thanks and went to wards that section and walking out that way was Rollie and his son. I lay that memory on Rollie and his son says at's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my father".....Said bye, and walked to wards my seats and Jerry Colangelo walks up to me and asks if I found him yet. I said yes and thanks for being so helpfull.....I think we got the wrong Jerry as an owner............:whiner:

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Roland Hemond was one of those guys who probably saved the Sox for Chicago in the early 70's.

He was hired as Director of Player Personnel in September 1970. The Sox won 56 games that year, were a laughingstock, had no fans and played in a crumbling stadium that 'supposedly' was in a bad neighborhood.

That winter Hemond totally revamped the roster. In a period of five months he acquired solid contributing players like Luis Alvarado, Mike Andrews, Rick Reichardt, Jay Johnstone, Tom Egan, Tom Bradley, Vincente Romo, Tony Muser and Ed Stroud for guys like Gail Hopkins, John 'Pineapple' Matias and Jerry Janeski.

In 1971 the Sox won 79 games and drew almost 900,000 fans. Up around 400,000 from 1970.

Then he acquired Dick Allen for the 1972 season and the franchise was saved.

This isn't even getting into his work helping to put together the 1977 and 1983 teams.

Hemond ranks right up there as perhaps the finest Sox G.M. ever and compares closely to other successful Sox G.M.'s like Frank 'Trader' Lane and Ed Short.

Lip

Medford Bobby
01-21-2005, 04:34 PM
:smile: It was a mix of Hemonds new blood on the team and Harry Carey cheerleading fans into White Sox Park. And as much fun and excitement the team had from 1971 to 1974, it all seemed to end by 1975, thus the club almost exited Chicago to Seattle. I think people forget how close the club was to moving in to Seattle. The American owners wanted to end lawsuits Seattle had on them and was ready to move the club if no owner was apparent. (Charlie O. Finley was ready to move the A's to Chicago if the Sox left)

Now does anybody have any theories why Veeck after he took over the club got rid of Chuck Tanner?? I wonder how different the 1976 and 1977 seasons would have been. Though it was fortunate for Tanner that after his A's stint he went to the World Champion Pirates.........:whiner:

Dan H
01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I know I'd be more than interested in reading a book on Hemond. I enjoy hearing and learning about my favorite era in Sox baseball 1967-1975. BTW Dan, "1959 and Beyond" is an excellent read. Enjoyed it on the flight home. Thanks!!

Glad you liked the book. The 1977 South Side Hitmen are next.

ewokpelts
01-21-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm interested. We should start up a campaign to get him to start working on one.
Gene