PDA

View Full Version : Any Ex/Current Roseland Fans?

RichieRichAllen
10-21-2001, 01:01 AM
That's Roseland, as in Far South Side....not to be confused by you New York lurkers for Roseland (NJ?).

How about it. Anybody from the very far South Side corner of the city out there?

I lived there from '59 to '74. Went to St. Louis of France Elementary School (117th and State) and put in a year at St. Willibrords aka St. Willys (113th and Edbrooke) before heading to the Southern burbs.

There's gotta' be at least one of you........

PS- To the younger members here....yeah, I'm old. Deal with it.

OfficerKarkovice
10-21-2001, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

We in no way participate in any forms of age discrimination here at WSI...all are welcome. :)

FarWestChicago
10-21-2001, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

We in no way participate in any forms of age discrimination here at WSI...all are welcome.Yeah, and you young pups are lucky... :)

duke of dorwood
10-22-2001, 08:40 AM
I spent lots of time there courting my first wife. She went to Fenger and I went to her prom. She had relatives all over Roseland. Also got my haircuts at the old "Barbertorium" run by the veterans. She was in school at Fenger when Bob Zemeckis, the film director was a student there.

rmusacch
10-22-2001, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
That's Roseland, as in Far South Side....not to be confused by you New York lurkers for Roseland (NJ?).

How about it. Anybody from the very far South Side corner of the city out there?

I lived there from '59 to '74. Went to St. Louis of France Elementary School (117th and State) and put in a year at St. Willibrords aka St. Willys (113th and Edbrooke) before heading to the Southern burbs.

There's gotta' be at least one of you........

My mom lived there until the late 50's, early 60's, I believe. I think she said she moved to Dolton when she was 7.

Nellsin
10-22-2001, 11:07 AM
I grew up in South Shore and went to high school on the East Side (de Sales). I remember the commercial strip in Roseland esp. Gateley's. I have a friend close to your age (OK, we're a bit older) who grew up in Roseland. He's not a member here (yet) but I'll alert him to your post.

duke of dorwood
10-22-2001, 12:34 PM
Remember Gately's Peoples Store, The Home Store, Original Nino's Pizza on 111th St. , The Rose Bowl on 115th & Michigan, and all those car dealers between 103 rd and 110th on Michigan

RichieRichAllen
10-22-2001, 09:18 PM
[i] Also got my haircuts at the old "Barbertorium" run by the veterans. She was in school at Fenger when Bob Zemeckis, the film director was a student there. [/B]

I didn't know Zemeckis went to Fenger. Any idea what years he was there?

LOL- I remember the Vet's Barbertorium. My dad took us for all our haircuts there. I had a real fascination with all the framed Chicago Americans and Tribunes documenting important events downstairs in the waiting area.

Of course, my brothers and I grew to hate the place in the 60's when we forced to go there as hair was getting longer. It seemed all the barbers pretty much has one standard haircut.....short.

RichieRichAllen
10-22-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin
I grew up in South Shore and went to high school on the East Side (de Sales). I remember the commercial strip in Roseland esp. Gateley's. I have a friend close to your age (OK, we're a bit older) who grew up in Roseland. He's not a member here (yet) but I'll alert him to your post.

Thanks, Nellsin.

Yeah, going to the commercial strip down Michigan Ave was called "going down the ave". I remember when Old Man Gately used to hang around and greet customers on occasion at the People Store. Ever eat downstairs in the small cafeteria? Scary burgers.

Anybody remember Don's Hot Dogs on 119th/Western? Great hot dogs. Kingsway Drive-In on Halsted? (Isn't it still open?) Cedar Park Lanes on 123rd Halsted. (Bowling) Pullman Wine and Liquor. Gonnella Bread right in their backyard. One of the original McDonalds on about 113th and Halsted?

I also have memories of the Mom and Pop stores (they all had penny candy, so I was a frequent customer). Adents, Jays, Shimkus (my main store) and a little store on the corner of 117th/Michigan.

OK, enough. Would love to communicate with more of you that have memories. Might even start up an ex-Roselander board someday. There is zip out there right now. Thanks to all that responded!