PDA

View Full Version : Sox World Series Dream opponent (no Cubs votes!)

Sox Laundry Guy
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I think the Dodgers would be very appropriate after '59, and I just know that the Dodgers would be petrified to come to the Cell. Big Hurt or Aaron against Gagne? The city would stop for that.

WhiteSoxNation
01-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I think the Dodgers would be very appropriate after '59, and I just know that the Dodgers would be petrified to come to the Cell. Big Hurt or Aaron against Gagne? The city would stop for that.

I'd like Pods up against gagne since Lefty vs Righty :)
But 97MPH+Big hurts power (if solid contact)= 500ft white sox winner.

thecell
01-20-2005, 04:12 PM
My dream would be to play against anyone. We haven't been there in 43 years so I'll take what I can get.

Soxzilla
01-20-2005, 04:12 PM
My heart would stop for that.

It would be fun to beat up on the cardinals, though.

"What's that cubs? The AL Central is weak huh?":cool:

MUsoxfan
01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Brewers. I'd love to have my two favorite teams meet in the World Series

SaltyPretzel
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
The Reds so we could make up for 1919.

TheTwinsMustDie
01-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I would say the Twins. Yes, I know they are in the American league and thus, its not possible. However, they need to be punished for last three years. My ideal scenario is that the Sox sweep the all reg. season games against the Twinkles and win the Central. The Twinks win the wild card and we end up sweeping them again. We then pound the Yankees in the ALCS. After all the NL teams drop out from the WS in fear of entering our path of destruction, Buddy Selig decides to substitute the Twinkles, and we pound them again.

Hey, it could happen.

Rocky Soprano
01-20-2005, 04:56 PM
I would say the Twins. Yes, I know they are in the American league and thus, its not possible. However, they need to be punished for last three years. My ideal scenario is that the Sox sweep the all reg. season games against the Twinkles and win the Central. The Twinks win the wild card and we end up sweeping them again. We then pound the Yankees in the ALCS. After all the NL teams drop out from the WS in fear of entering our path of destruction, Buddy Selig decides to substitute the Twinkles, and we pound them again.

Hey, it could happen.

And if you drink Pepsi, they might even rename the Rams after you!

eriqjaffe
01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want the Sox to face the Cubs in the Series. I want the Sox to win a pennant (and a series), while the Cubs finish .5 games out of the post-season. Or, better yet, 74-88.

Whitesox029
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Hey, it could happen.
Theoretically, yes, except the Sox can't play the Twins in the first round of the playoffs.

ChiSoxRowand
01-20-2005, 05:05 PM
The Cardinals so we could see all the Cub fans suffer.

jabrch
01-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Anyone

TheTwinsMustDie
01-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Theoretically, yes, except the Sox can't play the Twins in the first round of the playoffs.

Please don't inject logic and truth into my bizarre fantasies.

Last night I dreamt that the Tribune sadly reported that Michael Barrett severely burned his arms while baking cookies and was out for the year. Moving quickly, Jim Hendry resigned Hector Villanueava to a 7 year contract @ $11 million per year. Hector then led the team to solid 24 games under .500 2005 season.

Kogs35
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM

isn't it snickers

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Hey, it could happen.

Theoretically, yes, except the Sox can't play the Twins in the first round of the playoffs.Yeah. I thought there was something wrong with that scenario.

HomeFish
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
The weakest team possible.

Jjav829
01-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Anyone, but the thought of any player on this team stepping into the box to face Gagne scares me. I want them to actually win the World Series, not get shut down by Gagne.

zach074
01-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Im gona have to go with anyone we can beat.:bandance:

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-20-2005, 06:03 PM
hmm..i would say "cubs" but the thought of them GETTING there would be horrifying. Good Thought=We beat the cubs in the WS! Bad thought=cubs fan-SO? AT LEAST WE MADE IT! :dtroll: id say IF we got there....the cards.

Fredsox
01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
It's gotta be the Cards. They're the class of the league from a historical perspective. Also, as was pointed out earlier, it would really stick the knife in and twist to all the stupid whiny Cub fans.

Rocklive99
01-20-2005, 06:28 PM
The Rockies or Nationals

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 06:54 PM

AHHHH!!!! Don't mention Pepsi in the same thread as a White Sox world series! Don't you know the reason why we haven't won the division since 2000 is because of the Pepsi Curse . The park changed from Coke to Pepsi products in 2001 and the team hasn't been the same since.

Bring back Coke products and then we'll have a winner!!!!! :wink:

Realist
01-20-2005, 07:05 PM
The Reds so we could make up for 1919.

I with you there. Hell, I'm with you in the same neighborhood too. :redneck

jake27
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
i think the against the brewers would be cool. fyi, i dont want the cubs anywhere near the world series. if they went 0-162, thats good for me

Takatsufan
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
What about Milwaukee? Think about it. We wouldn't have to drive far.

SoxBoy14
01-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I'd say anybody BUT the cubs because the slim possibility of them winning is enough to make me and i'm sure many other Sox fans jump off a cliff.

Well maybe not that intense but it would still be bad

Foulke You
01-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I'll toss my hat in the Brewer camp too. I have a friend who is a big Brewer fan plus it would be fun to ignite the old I-94 rivalry again. Plus, there is nothing like that old Chicago vs Wisconsin hatred that makes for fun rivalry.

Honorable Mention would have to be the Mets. Now before you say "Mets?!!" let me explain myself. Chicago vs NY can also be really fun (Bulls/Knicks, Sox/Yanks, etc) and the Mets and White Sox are the two "second class status" teams in their respective cities. It would burn Cubs and Yankees fans to watch their crosstown rivals in the World Series. Plus, both Chicago and New York crowds tend to be some of the loudest around. Probably would make for an electric World Series.

Foulke You
01-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I'd say anybody BUT the cubs because the slim possibility of them winning is enough to make me and i'm sure many other Sox fans jump off a cliff.

Well maybe not that intense but it would still be bad

I'm quite sure my heart, nerves, and stomach could not handle a Sox vs Cubs World Series for all the marbles. I got worked up about the crosstown series and those are just regular season games. I can't imagine how shot my nerves would be for the World Series.

One thing I do know, it would be the biggest sports story ever in Chicago if the two teams faced off after the long drought of no championships. This city would shut down for that 7 game series and I don't even want to think of the property damage/fights/mass hysteria that would take place when it was all over and one team won it.

samram
01-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Anyone, but the thought of any player on this team stepping into the box to face Gagne scares me. I want them to actually win the World Series, not get shut down by Gagne.

I was going to say the Dodgers too because I like them, but you raise a great point about Gagne. Maybe they could do what the Red Sox did this year and never trail and not have to worry about him.

nccwsfan
01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Any team would be fine with me. Just getting to the World Series would be a dream come true (of course play to win). For the sake of the argument I would prefer to see them play a "traditional" team like Cincinnati, St. Louis, LA, SF, or the Scrubs. Imagine if they played the Reds- my god we'd have to hear about 1919 a million times over!!

Chisox003
01-20-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm quite sure my heart, nerves, and stomach could not handle a Sox vs Cubs World Series for all the marbles. I got worked up about the crosstown series and those are just regular season games. I can't imagine how shot my nerves would be for the World Series.

One thing I do know, it would be the biggest sports story ever in Chicago if the two teams faced off after the long drought of no championships. This city would shut down for that 7 game series and I don't even want to think of the property damage/fights/mass hysteria that would take place when it was all over and one team won it.

Amen! I love the crosstown series, dont get me wrong, but I really cant take it anymore...My hate (and love for the Sox) for the Cubs and especially their "fans" is so great that when the Sox lose to them in the REGULAR season its time to jump off a cliff, let alone the World Series!

I honestly think the city would be destroyed if there were a Sox/Cubs series...Sadly, there would probably be a lot of people hurt and a lot of damage, which really I hope to never see because the Cubs anywhere near the WS is a nightmare...I say the Cardinals without a doubt, but as long as the Sox are there, it dont matter!

Hitmen77
01-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want the Sox to face the Cubs in the Series. I want the Sox to win a pennant (and a series), while the Cubs finish .5 games out of the post-season. Or, better yet, 74-88.

I agree. If there is justice in the sports world, then the Sox will win the pennant and the Cubs will finish in 5th place. If the Cubs and Sox both won the pennant, the Sox would still be an afterthought in the media. Even if we beat the Cubs in the WS, I would expect our celebrations to be drowned out in Chicago by all the stupid talk of "curse" and "heartbreak" and "lovable losers". The headline in the Trib might even read "Chicago's championship drought continues".

TtotheDHolla
01-21-2005, 01:14 AM
i would love to see the cubs vs sox but if not cubs def. the reds. just like it was mentioned up above

:eloaiza: washington capitals

Sox Laundry Guy
01-21-2005, 01:21 AM

Hell, if Gagne is holding a tie or lead and you see Aaron, Hurt or Paulie step in the box, lets see where they stand.

Dream, the impossible dream....

StockdaleForVeep
01-21-2005, 02:43 AM

i dont want the cubs anywhere near playoff contention, its gonna continue to be the cub playoff games beatin the sox and the media crappin even more on us despite bein a similar playoff team

soxtalker
01-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Ah ..., interesting question.

For me, there's no team that comes close to the Cubs. It would be agonizing in the final weeks of the seaon and in the playoffs with the prospect that they'd make it to the series and we wouldn't. Then it would be even more agonizing with possibility that they'd beat us. But nothing would be sweeter than a victory over them.

Having said that, the next team would probably be the Mets. The NY-Chicago city rivalry is pretty intense -- at least from our side (probably not from the NYC perspective). I loved it in the 90's when we were battling (and beating) the Knicks. The Cards are an interesting choice. That would be a tough series for Cub fans to watch. There's also a storyline with LaRussa, I suppose.

I guess that the problem is that I don't follow the NL very much, so -- other than the Cubs -- I just don't feel a very intense rivalry with any of those teams. There would probably be storylines against any foe, but it would be pretty much manufactured. If I make an analogy to the Bulls' run in the 90's, the teams that really stand out in my mind are the (a) Pistons and Lakers as being long-time winners and (b) the Knicks because Chicago feels a strong rivalry with the city of NY.

Hangar18
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Id Like to see a SOX vs Dodgers, because the MEDIA wouldnt be able
to sweep the SOX under the rug. Also for the Mets, same reason ........

But ultimately, a White Sox vs Cardinals World Series would be Awesome..

Hangar18
01-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Ultimately, a Sox vs Flubs, world series on paper, should be the
best series Ever. However, the Chicago Media would pee-their-pants
ogling and covering the Cubs "historic" trip to the series .......

Tekijawa
01-21-2005, 10:18 AM
The Pirates... because I think we could take 'em!

mjharrison72
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Every single one of these posts should be in pink.

soxtalker
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Ultimately, a Sox vs Flubs, world series on paper, should be the
best series Ever. However, the Chicago Media would pee-their-pants
ogling and covering the Cubs "historic" trip to the series .......

This seems to be a constant concern here. I think it is overplayed. The coverage might not be equal, since there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans, but there'd be plenty of Sox coverage and much dual coverage. However, I bet that the perception on both sides of town would be that the other side is getting an undue amount of biased coverage. I think that this happens to the national media in every championship series. When the Bulls were winning, there were continuous cries in Chicago that the national announcers were biased against us. Of course, in the other cities, it was perceived that the opposite was true. (And since MJ was such a huge positive story, they were probably right.)

TRL
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Anyone

My thoughts exactly.

Gosox1917
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Winning it all would be sweet no matter who it's against. A dream playoff run for me would be seeing the Sox beat the A's in the first round, winning in Oakland, beat the Twins in the ALCS at home, and sweeping the Flubs and clinching it at home.

Jjav829
01-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Hell, if Gagne is holding a tie or lead and you see Aaron, Hurt or Paulie step in the box, lets see where they stand.

Dream, the impossible dream....

That's not my dream though. If the question was, "How would you like to see the Sox win the World Series?," then I might answer with seeing Frank, Paulie, or Aaron face Gagne. But otherwise, I want it to be easy. If we were playing the Dodgers, I wouldn't want Gagne to get into a game because that would likely mean that the Dodgers are winning or the game is tied. And no, I wouldn't have faith in any of our players to do much against Gagne. I might have faith in Bonds or Pujols, but that's the short list of players I would trust against Gagne.

Shorty1983
01-21-2005, 02:32 PM
The A.L
Chisox vs Bosox "The Sox Series"

The W.S
Sox vs Giants

Can you imagine Frank against Bonds. Buerhle against Schmidt.

SoxWillWin
01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd have to say the Giants would be my favorite opponent. Guillen Vs. Alou could you imagine the press conferences after the games........

chisoxmike
01-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Like most of you all, I don't want the Cubs even in the playoffs to advance to face the Sox in the World Series. I want the Cubs to finish in last place the season whenever this extraordinary event would happen.

I would want the Sox to sweep the Twins in the ALCS to advance to the World Series. And... who do we play in the series? Who cares? We're in the World Series! As long as we win in fine fashion I would care less who the Sox play in the fall classic.

NSSoxFan
01-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Anyone! I am not a picky guy.

Sox Laundry Guy
01-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I'd have to say the Giants would be my favorite opponent. Guillen Vs. Alou could you imagine the press conferences after the games........

Yeah, no one would know what the hell they were talking about.

I think another dream opponent would be the Astros. That left field porch would be fantastic. Rowand has to play that CF canyon, but he's got the guts and hustle to play that abortion of aa hill and the Tiger Stadium ripoff flagpole.

Nick@Nite
01-22-2005, 12:47 PM
The Nats would be great because I'd be at the games played out here... the Mets wouldn't be a bad choice because the NY-media hype machine that would surround the Mets would piss off Steinbrenner.

TheBull19
01-23-2005, 01:00 AM

My thoughts, too, but what I'd like to see is the next year after the sox win it the cubs get to the WS only to be flogged by the defending WS champion white sox. Buehrle over Prior or Wood in game 4 at Wrigley.

HoustonAstros967
01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I think that a game against the Indians would be great to watch. C.C. Sabathia against Freddy Garcia. Coco Crisp looks up, you can put on the board...YES! and the Sox take the first of this three game series from Jermaine Dye's walkoff homerun!

PaulDrake
01-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Being the old coot that I am I remember vividly getting to watch the tail end of game 1 of the 1959 World Series. It was and is by far my biggest thrill as a baseball fan. Unfortunately it was all downhill after that. I'd love to see the White Sox beat the Yanks in the ALCS and then avenge that long ago WS by soundly thrashing the Dodgers of La La land.

SouthSideHitman
01-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I would say the Cardinals, because they're my favorite team in the NL and I would love to see them both in the series. Barring them, I'd kinda like the Pirates because I've always had a fondness for the city of Pittsburgh and their fans have just been screwed over in the last decade. Plus their park is so pretty.