PDA

View Full Version : Angels sued again

longshot7
01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
This time, by the city of LA, who doesn't want to be associated with them. hilarious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angelsnamechange&prov=ap&type=lgns

MUsoxfan
01-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I hope L.A. wins this. If they don't, it might cause a ridiculous trend.

Kogs35
01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
la counsil passed a reslotion syaing the dodgers r la's team and no1 else could be called la in baseball

kittle42
01-20-2005, 02:32 PM
la counsil passed a reslotion syaing the dodgers r la's team and no1 else could be called la in baseball

Is that you, WhiteSoxAaron?

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
This time, by the city of LA, who doesn't want to be associated with them. hilarious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angelsnamechange&prov=ap&type=lgnsIf you made this stuff up, nobody would believe you.

Kogs35
01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Is that you, WhiteSoxAaron?

no

longshot7
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Not that they have any authority...

I hate the name change... but enough already! Stop spending taxpayer dollars on lawsuits! The cities have no legs to stand on anyway.

StillMissOzzie
01-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Not that they have any authority...

I hate the name change... but enough already! Stop spending taxpayer dollars on lawsuits! The cities have no legs to stand on anyway.

Reminds of when hizzoner da mare was going to sue to prevent the Chicago Bears from using that name when they were threatening to build a new stadium in Arlington Heights.

SMO
:o:

HoustonAstros967
01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
The angels have the worst name in baseball. Let them keep their crappy name its not worth the money to sue them.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
did the Oakland A's change their names to the San Jose A's yet?

longshot7
01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
The angels have the worst name in baseball. Let them keep their crappy name its not worth the money to sue them.

Don't mince words - tell us what you really think.

chaz171
01-21-2005, 01:31 PM
How about the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of Sarasota?

The Dallas Cowboys of Irving?

The Quebec Nordiques of Denver.....

On the other hand.... Relocated teams like the Utah Jazz, should have to keep their previous moniker for posterity.

The Denver Nordiques has a great Ring to it.
Washington Expos does too!

NonetheLoaiza
01-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Boy, this is getting more ridiculous by the day...

Foulke You
01-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Why the heck don't the Angels just EMBRACE the fact that they are in a different part of California than L.A. It seems to me that they are too caught up with trying to lure Dodgers fans to their park when all they are doing is alienating the core fanbase that is in Anaheim.

I took some marketing classes 5 years ago and one of the first rules they teach you is that it is easier to KEEP the customers you have than it is to get new ones. Many marketing efforts that attempt to bring in new people will just anger and alienate the loyal customers you had!:?:

longshot7
01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Why the heck don't the Angels just EMBRACE the fact that they are in a different part of California than L.A. It seems to me that they are too caught up with trying to lure Dodgers fans to their park when all they are doing is alienating the core fanbase that is in Anaheim.

I took some marketing classes 5 years ago and one of the first rules they teach you is that it is easier to KEEP the customers you have than it is to get new ones. Many marketing efforts that attempt to bring in new people will just anger and alienate the loyal customers you had!:?:

Well, they're not really trying to bring in more fans. Anyone who lives here knows the two cities are not the same. What they're trying to do is tell potential advertisers that they don't only reach fans in Orange County, but in the whole LA market - a good idea, but poor execution imo. They want to raise ad revenues and fees & ca't if they're seen as a mid-market team. They're not.

If they HAVE to change the city name at all - they should just drop it entirely. They remain simply the "Angels" on their jerseys, hats, and all billboards and signage. No mention of either LA or Anaheim. Many world soccer teams are only one word - why not in baseball too?

samram
01-21-2005, 02:50 PM

True, but what if you don't think you have enough customers? It's one of the games marketing people have to play- find a way to attract new customers while keeping the existing ones. It's like the situation with the Sox last season when they announced the move of Fundamentals behind the LF bleachers. A lot of existing customers didn't like it because of the look, too kid friendly, etc. However, the Sox feel that the best way to attract new customers, which they need, is to market to families. Furthermore, they probably feel that the move will bring in enough new customers to replace any existing ones that leave.

I don't know what the Angels attendance figures are, but they feel they can do better, or they wouldn't be doing this. The cities should stop wasting taxpayer money on the suit and let the market take care of the situation. Frankly, the new name is dumb and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't help their revenues.

white sox bill
01-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Siggghhhhhh

Only in California:tongue:

Whitesox029
01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
An update on the situation: It seems the Angels have won the case over the city of Anaheim.
http://angels.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ana/news/ana_news.jsp?ymd=20050121&content_id=933214&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp
I had to laugh: at mlb.com, there's a listbox with the city names of all the teams to choose from (to visit their websites) and it now says "Angels" instead of Los Angeles or Anaheim, whereas all the other teams are still ordered alphabetically by city name.
Also, did their road unis say "Anaheim" or "Angels"? I guess if they said "Anaheim" before they will jsut say "Angels" now.

samram
01-24-2005, 12:08 AM
An update on the situation: It seems the Angels have won the case over the city of Anaheim.
http://angels.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ana/news/ana_news.jsp?ymd=20050121&content_id=933214&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp
I had to laugh: at mlb.com, there's a listbox with the city names of all the teams to choose from (to visit their websites) and it now says "Angels" instead of Los Angeles or Anaheim, whereas all the other teams are still ordered alphabetically by city name.
Also, did their road unis say "Anaheim" or "Angels"? I guess if they said "Anaheim" before they will jsut say "Angels" now.

They haven't won the case yet. The court would only issue a preliminary injunction if irreparable harm would be done to the city before a trial could begin. It seems the city is going to follow this all the way through a trial.

ChiSoxRowand
01-24-2005, 12:39 AM

The road uniforms said anaheim.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-24-2005, 12:44 AM
The Angels began using Angels on the road uniforms last year so it was pretty clear about what Arte Moreno was going to do. I don't understand how any Angels fan could complain after Moreno has brought in a ton of high priced FAs.

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Why the heck don't the Angels just EMBRACE the fact that they are in a different part of California than L.A.

It's not a different part of California, its a suburb. There's no way there would be a team in Anaheim if it weren't part of the LA market. Its like if the Phoenix Coyotes had changed their name to the Glendale coyotes when they built their new arena. Glendale is technically a different city than Phoenix, and about as far away from downtown phoenix as Anaheim is from LA, but its still a Phoenix team. The city of Anaheim should stop trying to kid themselves by thinking that they're not part of the LA metroplex, and that they are a major league city unto themselves

longshot7
01-24-2005, 12:09 PM
The Angels began using Angels on the road uniforms last year so it was pretty clear about what Arte Moreno was going to do. I don't understand how any Angels fan could complain after Moreno has brought in a ton of high priced FAs.

True. and that might be the thing that makes all this nonsense worthwhile - when Arte says he wants to raise ad revenue to spend more money on players - I believe him! And if that brings another championship (or two) - then right do I have to complain? I get my money's worth for every game I see.

Whitesox029
01-24-2005, 10:14 PM

Now for an update on that: MLB has solved the problem by ordering the teams alphabetically by Nickname. Stupid Angels...now I have to scroll down to get to the White Sox website.

NonetheLoaiza
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
This is all causing me to get a huge headache...if I was OCD, I would be going nuts right now...

Lip Man 1
01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
The Angels drew three million last season. Attracting fans is not an issue for them since they have been revitilyzed by new ownership.

Lip

santo=dorf
01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
The Angels drew three million last season. Attracting fans is not an issue for them since they have been revitilyzed by new ownership.

Lip
What are you trying to say?