PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers, ESPN; Why Tori Hunter Is Exciting? White Sox.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2005, 10:01 AM
I just want to share this with you guys. If you can, look at the MLB main page on ESPN.com. Some of you may see Tori Hunter running over Jamie Burke. Some of you guys have NO idea how bad that was and will be this season and other seasons to come. Line up the apologists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1968962

Here's how it starts off...

Over the last three seasons, the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chw) have hit 166 more home runs than the Minnesota Twins (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=min). Yet they've outscored them by only 143 runs. That's because the Twins make the most of the hits they get.

Even more revealing about the relative efficiency of these two teams is that over the last three years the White Sox have outscored their opponents by 168 runs; the Twins have outscored their opponents by 164 runs. Yet the Twins have finished a combined 26 games ahead of Chicago in the standings, including a nine-game difference last season.

Nothing new, but man, even our hometown guy (from the Cubune of course) is giving it to us on the national stage. Well deserved. I hope it hits home with some of these guys. Hopefully it doesn't take a Phil Rogers article to make them change, but it can only help. We've lost the division to the Twins 3 years in a row? Man, how bad did we suck?

Over By There
01-20-2005, 11:14 AM
If you haven't gone to read the article yet, don't waste your time. Pointless article, nothing that wasn't covered months ago. Why this article shows up on the ESPN MLB frontpage, and why this article was even written at this time, baffles me. I guess it's just a slow time of year.

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Love the caption under the pic of Hunter plowing down Burke. Yeah...he was really aggressively blocking the plate on that play. :?:

Brian26
01-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Love the caption under the pic of Hunter plowing down Burke. Yeah...he was really aggressively blocking the plate on that play. :?:

Yeah, standing 3 feet off the plate, not facing Hunter at all, and nowhere near even attempting to catch the relay throw. :angry:

doublem23
01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, standing 3 feet off the plate, not facing Hunter at all, and nowhere near even attempting to catch the relay throw. :angry:

But he's exciting.

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Hey, it takes guts to run over a guy that totally isn't expecting it.

Iwritecode
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM

We all know that nobody at the Cubune or ESPN would ever let facts get in the way of a good story...

FGarcia34
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
i hate the twins. i hate everything about them. i got to college up here in minnesota and all i hear about is how great the twins are and how great of team chemistry they have. the last 2 seasons ive watched the twins fail in the postseason with all these twins fans. i hope to god the white sox win the division this year and go deep in the playoffs. i will not be able to handle another season of "the twins, the twins, the twins."

Nick@Nite
01-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I guess it was Phil's turn in the rotation to have the cover story at ESPN.com/mlb.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2005, 02:33 PM
We all know that nobody at the Cubune or ESPN would ever let facts get in the way of a good story...

Hawk?? is that you???

Jjav829
01-20-2005, 03:35 PM
But he's exciting.

And he's from the hood! That must be why we keep losing to the Twins. We need more guys from the hood! :rolleyes:

JUribe1989
01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Torii Hunter is a heartless, dirty player with no respect for the health of players on other teams. Jamie Burke was 4 feet away from the plate and Hunter went out of the way to knock him down. It was cheap and dirty. Hunter talks a lot of **** for a guy who hit .271 and knocked a Hideki Matsui fly ball over the wall for a home run in game 3 of the ALDS. Hunter is a pathetic dirty piece of crap who should not have the respect of anyone. I hope he gets thrown at every time the Sox play him, or better yet lets just strike him out. Maybe he will knock a Willie Harris fly ball over the fence for a home run for us.

idseer
01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Torii Hunter is a heartless, dirty player with no respect for the health of players on other teams. Jamie Burke was 4 feet away from the plate and Hunter went out of the way to knock him down. It was cheap and dirty. Hunter talks a lot of **** for a guy who hit .271 and knocked a Hideki Matsui fly ball over the wall for a home run in game 3 of the ALDS. Hunter is a pathetic dirty piece of crap who should not have the respect of anyone. I hope he gets thrown at every time the Sox play him, or better yet lets just strike him out. Maybe he will knock a Willie Harris fly ball over the fence for a home run for us.

:roflmao:

Foulke29
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Phil Rogers is a xxcking hack that sucks the --- digits of the Tribune. He's worthless!

jackbrohamer
01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
The Burke photo is a cheap shot, it makes him look like he was unable to stand his ground even though he wasn't trying to.

Ol' No. 2
01-20-2005, 05:13 PM
http://www.olepetter.com/grafikk/forside/dogbert.jpg

FedEx227
01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
yeah, I rarely if ever read a baseball story on ESPN.com or the Cubune just because of their wildly bias towards certain teams...Peter Gammons (Red Sox, Yankees), and Cubune (theres other teams in the majors?)

zach074
01-20-2005, 05:58 PM
The Burke photo is a cheap shot, it makes him look like he was unable to stand his ground even though he wasn't trying to.

Where is that picture at? I looked at the artical and didn't see it.

zach074
01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Even though it was a cheap shot im still pissed that Ozzie did nothing about it.:angry:

JUribe1989
01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Just so everybody knows we did get a little retaliation on September 14 at the Metrodome when Freddy threw at Hunter and both benches were warned. Then he picked him off and threw him out at second base right after that.

jordan23ventura
01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Even though it was a cheap shot im still pissed that Ozzie did nothing about it.:angry:

I'm not anywhere near as pissed about what Hunter did. Don't get me wrong, I too think the guy is garbage, but you have to stand up for yourself after something like that. It should have been Ozzie to stand up and retort rather than praise the opposing player. It especially PO'd me when I read that he made a reference to Carlos, saying he didn't go in hard on a doubleplay. That's BS. If you are going to knock him for that, fine, but knock everyone for it. Don't make it seem like that was his chance at revenge and blew it. Stand up for your team Ozzie. The fans like you now, but if you don't get tough when you need to be, they will turn on you. And so will the team.

jordan23ventura
01-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Just so everybody knows we did get a little retaliation on September 14 at the Metrodome when Freddy threw at Hunter and both benches were warned. Then he picked him off and threw him out at second base right after that.

Freddy's a Southsider. I hope we keep him here long after his contract expires. But still, I'm guessing that was more Freddy standing up for his teammates than anyone else. I'm not going to forgive Ozzie for this one. Ozzie is, supposedly, one of Burke's strongest supporters and how do you think Burke felt after that? He busts his butt to get to the major leagues, finally finds a manager willing to start him in a game, and then this happens and Ozzie virtually praises Hunter. Burke then, to save face, goes to Torii to play make up afterwards. Pathetic.

Fredsox
01-21-2005, 05:18 AM

Old Joe Kennedy used to say "Don't get mad, get even". The only way to silence the critics, gain respect, and have people pissed at US for a change is to win the division and advance past the first round of the playoffs at the very least. Then we can ask Torii Hunter how he likes us, but until then we'll take the abuse and we'll like it. This team has not earned anything yet, so I don't think we can demand anything.

idseer
01-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Freddy's a Southsider. I hope we keep him here long after his contract expires. But still, I'm guessing that was more Freddy standing up for his teammates than anyone else. I'm not going to forgive Ozzie for this one. Ozzie is, supposedly, one of Burke's strongest supporters and how do you think Burke felt after that? He busts his butt to get to the major leagues, finally finds a manager willing to start him in a game, and then this happens and Ozzie virtually praises Hunter. Burke then, to save face, goes to Torii to play make up afterwards. Pathetic.

ever stop to think you're wrong? burke himself said it was a good hit. should you just assume he lied? ever stop to think oz was right? does it seem all the players don't respect him cause of how he treated the situation? THEY understand the game. THEY were there.

i thought all you namby pamby hunter whiners were through with this a long time ago.
get over it you big babies.

SoxSpeed22
01-22-2005, 07:45 PM
What happens happens, just as long as A.J Pierzynski hurts Joe Mauer in the Metrodome. Thats probably why he was a "Cancer" in San Fran, cuz he was pist that an unproven rookie takes his job. Knowin him thats why he signed with us.

buehrle4cy05
01-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I saw the picture of Hunter running over Burke on espn.com, and I almost cried. That was the play that ruined the season for the White Sox.

DSpivack
01-23-2005, 01:04 AM
First, history is written by the winners.

Second, that game was the last game I was at last year....man was that ugly.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Now I may think this because the Twins have won the division 3 years in a row, but does anyone else think that the White Sox don't get hyped up enough for these "rivalary" games? These series' don't have a Bears/Packers or a Red Sox/Yankees feel to them at all. Of course the BoSox/Yanks rivalary is the oldest in sports, but the Twins/Sox series just seems to be another series for the Sox.

Hopefully that changes this year.

Cubbiesuck13
01-23-2005, 03:14 AM
ever stop to think you're wrong? burke himself said it was a good hit. should you just assume he lied? ever stop to think oz was right? does it seem all the players don't respect him cause of how he treated the situation? THEY understand the game. THEY were there.

i thought all you namby pamby hunter whiners were through with this a long time ago.
get over it you big babies.

I'll drink to that.

ewokpelts
01-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Now I may think this because the Twins have won the division 3 years in a row, but does anyone else think that the White Sox don't get hyped up enough for these "rivalary" games? These series' don't have a Bears/Packers or a Red Sox/Yankees feel to them at all. Of course the BoSox/Yanks rivalary is the oldest in sports, but the Twins/Sox series just seems to be another series for the Sox.

Hopefully that changes this year.
the red sox /yankmees rivalry really began in 1986 with all that curse talk....and it started in1978 with the one game playoff...the bears/packers rivalry is longer...it's been throught the ENTIRE history of the nfl...

Gene

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
And he's from the hood! That must be why we keep losing to the Twins. We need more guys from the hood! :rolleyes:
How many " 'hoods" are in Arkansas?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Ozzie made a rookie mistake by not sticking up for his team and complementing Hunter on top of it. But for a rookie manager, he made less mistakes over the season than JerryM would make in a week. So I say we cut Oz some slack. I think he learned something and WON'T DO IT AGAIN. He better not.....:angry:

jackbrohamer
01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
ever stop to think you're wrong? burke himself said it was a good hit.

After it happened they showed Burke on the bench and he appeared to say it was a cheap shot.

idseer
01-24-2005, 09:17 AM
After it happened they showed Burke on the bench and he appeared to say it was a cheap shot.

he 'appeared' to say?
that's fascinating.

guess what? he didn't SEE it!

after he saw the replay he said it was a fair shot.

jackbrohamer
01-24-2005, 03:32 PM
he 'appeared' to say?
that's fascinating.

guess what? he didn't SEE it!

after he saw the replay he said it was a fair shot.

Guess what? According to the paper the next day, "Burke said he believed Hunter could have avoided him but stopped short of calling the play a cheap shot." Which is far from calling it a "fair shot."

idseer
01-24-2005, 03:44 PM
not what i read.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-15180_ITM&referid=2090

i'd assume if he didn't think it was a cheap shot .... he thought it was a fair shot.

miker
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Phil Rogers molests collies.

Sox Laundry Guy
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Don't forget that Phil Rogers did a gret piece about the assembly of a well-crafted Sox pitching staff for '05. This guy calls it straight. Or would you listen read/listen to Gammons just cream himself about the Red Sox...again? And again? And again? Yet again? Still again? Or that Cubune weirdo (not Greenstein) who just wanders through the Sox concourse mumbling to himself?

SoxFanTillDeath
01-28-2005, 09:52 AM
:whistle:

Sox Laundry Guy
01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
C'mon Sully....buy one or be one!