PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix, Arizona SOX Fans Unite!

markopat
01-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Where is a great place to watch the games out here...Where can we gather and unite as one? Hoping to bring together the SOX faithful for games at a local drinking establishment in East Valley!

Anyone...Anyone?

:gulp:

South Side
01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
It's in Tucson, isn't it?

TheBull19
01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Where is a great place to watch the games out here...Where can we gather and unite as one? Hoping to bring together the SOX faithful for games at a local drinking establishment in East Valley!

Anyone...Anyone?

The best park in phoenix in my opinion is scottsdale stadium(giants), followed by Municipal Stadium(A's) right by Papago Park, and Hohokam(those we don't speak of) in Mesa. There's usually a lot of sox fans at the cubs/sox game, and pretty good amount at any other park(during sox games). Going to see them in Tuscon is worth the drive, too. I usually do once or twice a spring. Tuscon Electric is probably the best park in the cactus league, though I haven't been to Hi Corbett, which is also in Tuscon.

AZChiSoxFan
01-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Anyone...Anyone?

I would say McDuffy's or Horse and Hound, both in Tempe. H&H has all of the sports packages (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc.).

AZChiSoxFan
01-20-2005, 09:03 AM
The best park in phoenix in my opinion is scottsdale stadium(giants), followed by Municipal Stadium(A's) right by Papago Park, and Hohokam(those we don't speak of) in Mesa. There's usually a lot of sox fans at the cubs/sox game, and pretty good amount at any other park(during sox games). Going to see them in Tuscon is worth the drive, too. I usually do once or twice a spring. Tuscon Electric is probably the best park in the cactus league, though I haven't been to Hi Corbett, which is also in Tuscon.

Hi Corbett is nothing special. The new stadium in Surprise (Royals and Rangers) is the best Cactus League stadium, IMO. A close second is Scottsdale stadium (Giants).

soxwon
01-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I would say McDuffy's or Horse and Hound, both in Tempe. H&H has all of the sports packages (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, etc.).

will any of these bars have WRESTLEMANIA in MARCH ?

AZChiSoxFan
01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
will any of these bars have WRESTLEMANIA in MARCH ?

No earthly idea

markopat
01-20-2005, 09:33 PM
They had the baseball ticket last year and I caught a lot of games there...Pretty cool because the drink prices are "campus" cheap! McDuffy's is cool and they have the OTB there!

mark

SouthSideSid
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
As a sox fan regular of SixShooters in Tempe -
They will flip the game on if it is on the MLB extra innings
package - had the bartenders trained last season to
switch it when they saw me walk in.

skobabe8
01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Mcduffys is a cool place, but i'll go anywhere.

Takatsufan
01-24-2005, 09:41 PM
how's the food at Tuscon Electric

soxrme
01-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I haven't seen the A's park yet but in my opinion the Giants have the best facitlity and the Angels (the Sox supposedly moving here) have a nice one also. Ho Ho Cam is overated and overpriced. If you are near Bank One Park there are two good bars there - Coach & Willies and Coopers. C&W has a great happy hour and both have good outdoor seating and food.

chisox117
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM

They have your typical spring training consessions and a few specialty stands (Mexican, kosher dogs, BBQ beef sandwiches, kettle korn). In my opinion, the BBQ beef (down the 1st base side of the concourse opposite the kosher dogs) is the best of the options available (delicious food, short lines + fair prices).
Also: track down some local brew at the Nimbus Brewery stand for the best beer in the park!:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

AZChiSoxFan
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
They had the baseball ticket last year and I caught a lot of games there...Pretty cool because the drink prices are "campus" cheap! McDuffy's is cool and they have the OTB there!

mark

Sports Illustrated just listed McDuffy's as one of the top 25 sports bars in the country (IIRC, it was # 6)

SoxxoS
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Sports Illustrated just listed McDuffy's as one of the top 25 sports bars in the country (IIRC, it was # 6)

Wow. They do have great BBQ chicken pizza...I'll give them that.

TheBull19
02-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Special warning to Sox fans going to TEP

Last year they removed the ATMs for TEP for god knows what reason, and the concession stands do not accept cards. You have been advised.

JKryl
02-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Nothing special, just hot dogs and acessories.

Wanne
02-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Corbett is nothing special. The new stadium in Surprise (Royals and Rangers) is the best Cactus League stadium, IMO. A close second is Scottsdale stadium (Giants).

Surprise?!?...that has got to be THE WEIRDEST design I've seen...not to mention, most people (like lemmings) drive down Bell Road to get to it. I'll tell ya a way to cut 45 min off your drive. I never thought that stadium was any big whoop...kinda strange IMO. To me...the best is Peoria Sports Complex...plus...on only live about 5 minutes from there.

As for bars...the McDuffy's in Arrowhead is nothing to jump up and down about. I think your best best is find some of the little local hangouts. Heck...a Famous Sams for that matter.

skobabe8
02-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Surprise?!?...that has got to be THE WEIRDEST design I've seen...not to mention, most people (like lemmings) drive down Bell Road to get to it. I'll tell ya a way to cut 45 min off your drive. I never thought that stadium was any big whoop...kinda strange IMO. To me...the best is Peoria Sports Complex...plus...on only live about 5 minutes from there.

As for bars...the McDuffy's in Arrowhead is nothing to jump up and down about. I think your best best is find some of the little local hangouts. Heck...a Famous Sams for that matter.

Whats the shortcut?

AZChiSoxFan
02-10-2005, 10:46 AM

Well, favorite Cactus League stadium is of course simply a matter of opinion. However, I will say that Surprise is very new, you can see the field from the concourse, the second level seats are shaded and very nice, and the first level seats down the lines actually face back towards the plate (unlike most of the other Cactus League stadiums).

To clarify, McDuffy's in Tempe is the one that SI picked at the 5th best (earlier I said 6th, but I looked last night and it's actually 5th) sports bar in America. If you have a chance, check out the issue of SI. IIRC, McDuffy's has 86 TV's while most of the others in their top 25 list have less than 50. Since McDuffy's opened in 1988, they have shown every NFL game and every NCAA tourney game that has been played during that time. If there is a game being played in America, that has TV coverage, they will get it for you (college hockey, college baseball, whatever). Try asking for Minn vs North Dakota in hockey at your local Famous Sam's and you'll be lucky to get so much as a blank stare from the bartender.

Wanne
02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Whats the shortcut?

Depending where you're coming from...take Olive west. I don't care that you have to drive about 4 miles farther south if your going around the 101 from the east. If you're taking 10 west...go north on the 101 and get off at Olive. Take Olive west to Litchfield Rd. and go north (right). By the time you get to Greenway, you'll see the stadium to the left. DON'T GO all the way up to Bell. You need to attack it coming in from the south and avoid Bell Rd like the plague!!! You'll save yourself so much time and headache this way it's not even funny.