PDA

View Full Version : Shocker! Cubune sayz Maggs doc sayz Cubz should sign with confidence!

Hitmen77
01-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0501190285jan19,1,1477134.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I don't know how to read into the subtitle of this article: Surgeon won't be shocked if Ordonez is ready. Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. If you were Ordonez and Borass, wouldn't you want it to say that the surgeon would be shocked if he wasn't ready? Oh well, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

Oh and by the way, the Trib just couldn't help getting this line in:

In case the Cubs or other major-league teams are wondering about that recovery, Schaden sees no medical reason the right fielder he helped repair last summer cannot return to full strength by spring training.

And this line:

In the case of Ordonez, that reduced his rehab time from six months to three months--to December rather than March. For a free agent such as Ordonez, the difference still could mean millions as a handful of teams, including the Cubs, maintain interest.

The Trib's Maggs-to-the-Cubs wet dream continues. I just hope it doesn't come true.

MRKARNO
01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
I interpreted this article as:

"Cubs nearing deal with Magglio."

01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
If the Scrubs offer Maggs a deal, it will be a one year heavily incentive loaded deal. Cubs still have Sosa on the payroll and just shelled out more cash to Barrett and soon to be Rameriez. I see the Tigers and Orioles making the better offer to him, plus if (or when) his knee acts up, they can use him as the DH, while the NL can only put him on the bench....Of course he is going to say he is OK...he is looking for work...and he may be OK now, but lets see how it feels after 2 months of play.

veeter
01-19-2005, 06:54 PM
In my opinion if Maggs signs with the Cubs it's only to stick it to the Sox. I say that because, if healthy, he will undoubtedly get better financial offers from other teams. The Cubs are not in spend mode. They have a lot of arbitration cases and are also convinced their team is o.k. as is. My prediction is he has a 0% chance of being a Cub because of Boras.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Don't be shocked when, if Magglio signs with the Cubbies, the stories are about how much Magglio all along wanted to play with the Cubbies. The stories and Cubbie fans will say that he turned down a better offer from the Sox so that he could fulfill his long held dream of playing for the Cubbies.

Tekijawa
01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Don't be shocked when, if Magglio signs with the Cubbies, the stories are about how much Magglio all along wanted to play with the Cubbies. The stories and Cubbie fans will say that he turned down a better offer from the Sox so that he could fulfill his long held dream of playing for the Cubbies.

Untill he leaves early durring a game, then they'll try and paun him off to Baltimore or the Mets...

34 Inch Stick
01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Interesting that they would interview the surgeon who performed the first surgery rather than the Vienesse doctor who performed a much more recent procedure.

slavko
01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
The story is an obvious plant, setting the stage for a possible future signing of the player. There have been similar hints thrown in that paper in the past few weeks. My question is: Is it against medical ethics for the doctor to discuss publicly a procedure performed on a patient without the permission of the patient? If so, is this all being orchestrated by the player's agent with the cooperation of the paper and being badly disguised as news stories? Oh, and the "Surgeon wouldn't be shocked" part is a reference to the shockwave treatment in keeping with the paper's new habit of snappy headlines.

soxwon
01-22-2005, 05:30 PM
In my opinion if Maggs signs with the Cubs it's only to stick it to the Sox. I say that because, if healthy, he will undoubtedly get better financial offers from other teams. The Cubs are not in spend mode. They have a lot of arbitration cases and are also convinced their team is o.k. as is. My prediction is he has a 0% chance of being a Cub because of Boras.

something a contreras fastball to the leg couldnt cure!!!

Brian26
01-22-2005, 05:35 PM
something a contreras fastball to the leg couldnt cure!!!

You are class personified.

NSSoxFan
01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I wish Magglio would just sign the best low-ball offer and be done with it. I'm sick of hearing about this clown.

Flight #24
01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0501190285jan19,1,1477134.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I don't know how to read into the subtitle of this article: Surgeon won't be shocked if Ordonez is ready. Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement. If you were Ordonez and Borass, wouldn't you want it to say that the surgeon would be shocked if he wasn't ready? Oh well, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

Oh and by the way, the Trib just couldn't help getting this line in:

And this line:

The Trib's Maggs-to-the-Cubs wet dream continues. I just hope it doesn't come true.

1) has the doc seen Maggs since the procedure? If not, how does he know if it's healing properly?

2) you don't think a doc using an experimental procedure would have a vested interest in it working and putting his work in the best possible light, do you? Nah...

As I believe PHG has said - the best evidence there is that Maggs knee is STILL not right are the actions of his agent. They've obviously decided that it maximizes his value not to have anyone look at that knee, which really only leaves one option - that a look would confirm what is now only rumored.

soxwon
01-22-2005, 10:15 PM
You are class personified.

actually im all for Maggs i loved the guy.
i wish him well, but NOT as a SCRUB. He is the enemy then.
after he leaves them ill cheer for him again.