PDA

View Full Version : Sox invite 17 to Spring Training

Jjav829
01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
So that's what happened to Tony Alvarez....

Other names of note: Chris Widger, Pablo Ozuna, Raul Casanova, and Jorge Toca.

And then of course, some of our minor leaguers.
Outfielders Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, pitcher Brandon McCarthy and third baseman Josh Fields, the top four prospects in the White Sox organization according to Baseball America, headline the list of players within the organization who have received invites to major-league camp.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050119soxmoves,1,851161.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050119soxmoves,1,851161.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

I click on the link, and it takes me to the log-in page. I log-in, then I get an error, but I'm allowed to go to the site-map. I eventually find the headline and click on it, taking me back to the log-in page.

Anyone else having problems?

MUsoxfan
01-19-2005, 04:08 PM
I click on the link, and it takes me to the log-in page. I log-in, then I get an error, but I'm allowed to go to the site-map. I eventually find the headline and click on it, taking me back to the log-in page.

Nope. I got right in, but I think I might be already cookied into the site

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Nope. I got right in, but I think I might be already cookied into the site

I must have had a poisonous-cookie because after I deleted them, along with my temp-internet files, I got right in. :cool:

DrCrawdad
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM

I have a personal Cubune username/pw. But try this if you don't want to sign up. (http://www.bugmenot.com/)

rmusacch

Who is Tony Alvarez? Never heard of him.

OEO Magglio
I'm looking forward to seeing Brian, Ryan and Brandon play since there will be 21 spring training games on tv, should be fun to see some of the spects in action.

Chisox003
01-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Brian, Ryan and Brandon play since there will be 21 spring training games on tv, should be fun to see some of the spects in action.

Are ALL of those games on Comcast (the old FSN)??

longshot7
01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I must have had a poisonous-cookie because after I deleted them, along with my temp-internet files, I got right in. :cool:

mmmmmm.......poisonous cookies....

Jjav829
01-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Who is Tony Alvarez? Never heard of him.

He's a former outfield prospect from the Pirates organization. He was once a highly thought of prospect, but nothing ever became of that.

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a personal Cubune username/pw. But try this if you don't want to sign up. (http://www.bugmenot.com/)

Thanks :cool: ... but I already have a username/pw, and I'm now able to get right in...

... I wonder what the point is bringing Jorge Toca. We already have Gload spelling PK. Toca's had a couple cups of coffee and that's it.

Whitesox029
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see Kelly Dransfeldt have a huge spring training and win a job on the team. I really liked what I saw of him last year.

rmusacch
01-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Who are the other eight players?

sti3
01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Who is Tony Alvarez? Never heard of him.Is he friends with Wilson Avaldez?

Mots09
01-19-2005, 04:58 PM
KW said watch for Pablo Osuana...

NonetheLoaiza
01-19-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty excited to see what Josh Fields can do in ST. It is going to be a blast to see him, Sweeney, Anderson, etc. on Comcast, so we can see the possible future makeup of the White Sox. Thank you Comcast...

DumpJerry
01-19-2005, 05:33 PM
My rep sent me an email today with all 17 names. Sounds like a fun group. Did anyone else get emailed by their reps?
Here's the email:
WHITE SOX INVITE 17 PLAYERS TO SPRING TRAINING

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts
with veteran catchers Raul Casanova and Chris Widger, infielders Pablo Ozuna and Jorge Toca and
outfielder Tony Alvarez. All five players, in addition to 12 players within the White Sox
system, have received non-roster invites to the club’s spring training camp in Tucson, Ariz.

Casanova, 32, and Widger, 33, have a combined 864 games of major-league experience.
Ozuna, 30, has played in 65 major-league games with Florida (2000-01) and Colorado (2003).
Toca, 29, appeared in 29 games with the Mets from 1999-2001, while Alvarez, 26, played in 38
games with Pittsburgh in 2002 and 2004.

Outfielders Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, pitcher Brandon McCarthy and third
baseman Josh Fields, the top four prospects in the White Sox organization according to Baseball
America, headline the list of players within the organization who have received invites to
major-league camp.

Anderson, 22, combined to bat .298 (131-439) with 31 doubles, seven triples, 12 home
runs and 73 RBI in 117 games between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham. He was
named to the Carolina League All-Star Team. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder was the Sox No. 1 draft
choice in 2003 and enters the 2005 season ranked as the No. 1 Prospect in the organization.

Sweeney, 19, hit .283 (146-515) with seven home runs and 66 RBI last season at
Winston-Salem. He was the Sox second-round draft choice in 2003 and batted .367 (11-30) with
three doubles and four RBI with the Sox last spring training.

McCarthy, 21, combined to go 17-6 with a 3.14 ERA (60 ER/172.0 IP) and 202
strikeouts between Class A Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham in 2004. The 6-foot-7,
190-pound right-hander led the minor leagues in strikeouts and ranked second in wins. He was
named as a starting pitcher on Baseball America’s Minor League All-Star Team.

Fields, the White Sox No. 1 selection (18th overall) in the 2004 draft out of
Oklahoma State, spent his first professional season at Winston-Salem, hitting .285 (73-256) with
seven home runs and 39 RBI. He was a two-year starter at quarterback on the Oklahoma State
football team, setting a school record with 55 career touchdown passes.

White Sox pitchers and catchers report on Wednesday, February 16, with physicals and
a workout scheduled for the following day. Position players are to report on Monday, February
21, with physicals and the first full-squad workout the next day.

Unregistered
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Including Raul Casanova and Chris Widger...

Non-moves, IMO

as per ESPN1000

EDIT: I lost the ability to read other threads before posting. :D:

Erik The Red
01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
ELo was a minor league contract signee, and he turned out to be fine, if only for one year. Let's hope KW can work some more magic with his minor league FA signings.

Tekijawa
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
why all these Catchers... Widger made my fantasy team a few years back while he was wit MON... could be a nice pick up.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Is there any chance that Iguchi would be willing to sign a minor league contract? :D: Like the poster said, you never know with minor league contracts, it's a crapshoot but sometimes you can get quality players. I'm hoping one or more make an impact on the team. :smile:

Randar68
01-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Is there any chance that Iguchi would be willing to sign a minor league contract? :D: Like the poster said, you never know with minor league contracts, it's a crapshoot but sometimes you can get quality players. I'm hoping one or more make an impact on the team. :smile:

Iguchi makes about 2 million dollars a year playing in Japan. He's said he won't leave Japan unless he's making measureably more than that.

rmusacch
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM

If they sign Iguchi, someone will be removed from the 40 man roster to make room for him.

rmusacch
01-19-2005, 06:19 PM
My rep sent me an email today with all 17 names. Sounds like a fun group. Did anyone else get emailed by their reps?
Here's the email:
WHITE SOX INVITE 17 PLAYERS TO SPRING TRAINING

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts
with veteran catchers Raul Casanova and Chris Widger, infielders Pablo Ozuna and Jorge Toca and
outfielder Tony Alvarez. All five players, in addition to 12 players within the White Sox
system, have received non-roster invites to the club’s spring training camp in Tucson, Ariz.

Casanova, 32, and Widger, 33, have a combined 864 games of major-league experience.
Ozuna, 30, has played in 65 major-league games with Florida (2000-01) and Colorado (2003).
Toca, 29, appeared in 29 games with the Mets from 1999-2001, while Alvarez, 26, played in 38
games with Pittsburgh in 2002 and 2004.

Outfielders Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, pitcher Brandon McCarthy and third
baseman Josh Fields, the top four prospects in the White Sox organization according to Baseball
America, headline the list of players within the organization who have received invites to
major-league camp.

Anderson, 22, combined to bat .298 (131-439) with 31 doubles, seven triples, 12 home
runs and 73 RBI in 117 games between Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham. He was
named to the Carolina League All-Star Team. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder was the Sox No. 1 draft
choice in 2003 and enters the 2005 season ranked as the No. 1 Prospect in the organization.

Sweeney, 19, hit .283 (146-515) with seven home runs and 66 RBI last season at
Winston-Salem. He was the Sox second-round draft choice in 2003 and batted .367 (11-30) with
three doubles and four RBI with the Sox last spring training.

McCarthy, 21, combined to go 17-6 with a 3.14 ERA (60 ER/172.0 IP) and 202
strikeouts between Class A Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham in 2004. The 6-foot-7,
190-pound right-hander led the minor leagues in strikeouts and ranked second in wins. He was
named as a starting pitcher on Baseball America’s Minor League All-Star Team.

Fields, the White Sox No. 1 selection (18th overall) in the 2004 draft out of
Oklahoma State, spent his first professional season at Winston-Salem, hitting .285 (73-256) with
seven home runs and 39 RBI. He was a two-year starter at quarterback on the Oklahoma State
football team, setting a school record with 55 career touchdown passes.

White Sox pitchers and catchers report on Wednesday, February 16, with physicals and
a workout scheduled for the following day. Position players are to report on Monday, February
21, with physicals and the first full-squad workout the next day.

Can you post the other eight here? If this is the email that your rep sent you, it only has nine names in it.

DumpJerry
01-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Can you post the other eight here? If this is the email that your rep sent you, it only has nine names in it.
Hmmmmmmm...............you're right....this was the whole email. Maybe the others are total unknowns..............

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm...............you're right....this was the whole email. Maybe the others are total unknowns..............

Maybe the other eight are;

Jackson
Weaver
Cicotte
Williams
Risberg
Gandel
Felsch
McMullin

:)

DumpJerry
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Maybe the other eight are;

Jackson
Weaver
Cicotte
Williams
Risberg
Gandel
Felsch
McMullin

:)

We could only wish................

SABRSox
01-20-2005, 02:00 AM
KW said watch for Pablo Osuana...

Maybe 5 years ago... at this point he's an ex-prospect that is, at best, a major league reserve, and probably won't make the club (I've got to believe that Wilson Valdez is a superior SS than Ozuna.)

Whomever said that these were non-moves was right. The White Sox seem to already have their lineup ready, though I'm sure they'll jump on the chance to switch out Harris.