PDA

View Full Version : Santana Asks for 6.8 Million

Tekijawa
01-19-2005, 10:49 AM
The Twins Offer 5...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969972

Enjoy spending that 6.8 Johan!!! You should have asked for more...

SoxFanTillDeath
01-19-2005, 11:31 AM
The guy should've asked for way more, but that only says something for the Twins organization and Johan. He wants to win, and knows that if he breakes the bank than the twins will have to trade away talent to afford him.

Don't tell anyone, but I really like this guy. If only he wasn't on the Twinkies...

Tekijawa
01-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Don't tell anyone, but I really like this guy. If only he wasn't on the Twinkies...

I've had him on my fantasy team for the past 3 years... I have a ball Signed by the guy... I'd buy a bigger season ticket package next year if I knew we could get him... the guy is a stud and the wins were HIDING him in their bullpen up until last year.

34 Inch Stick
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm sure they are working on a long term contract anyway.

Foulke You
01-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Man, for the sake of our Sox, I hope Santana doesn't have another year like last year. He was practically unhittable.

HoustonAstros967
01-19-2005, 08:57 PM
The Twins Offer 5...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969972

Enjoy spending that 6.8 Johan!!! You should have asked for more...

6.8??? He was the most dominate pitcher in baseball last year during the second half! He deserves much more! If clemens thinks hes worth 22 than Johan deserves more than that.

Mohoney
01-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm sure they are working on a long term contract anyway.

And Santana's initial demand is 3 years, $25 million.

01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Man, for the sake of our Sox, I hope Santana doesn't have another year like last year. He was practically unhittable.

We did Tatoo him in May in that game we scored 17 runs...but I guess you can't be perfect all the time

Tekijawa
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
And Santana's initial demand is 3 years, $25 million.

I'd give him 5years, 50 million to play here...

soxfan26
01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Santana's initial demand is 3 years, $25 million.

Seriously $6.8 million for Santana? That 3yr/$25m breaks down to something like $8.33m per season! Anyway you look at it, it is huge discount compared to the market prices for pitchers this offseason.

I'd give him 5years, 50 million to play here...

It's too bad your not writing checks for the Sox... :wink:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Santana hasn't proven ANYTHING yet. For all we know it was a fluke year. He needs at least one more season somewhat comparable to last to prove that he is the real deal. Before Albert Pujols signed that huge deal with the Cardinals, he agreed to a one-year, $600,000 contract to prove himself worthy of a huge contract. That was money well invested. I think Santana is the real deal, but $6.8 mill is too much to give to him so early. It would be smart of him to accept a $5.5-$6 mill one year deal, prove himself, and then ask for a boatload (4 years, $44 million). If he proves himself, he is worth it.

You guys want some good news that may be caused by this issue? Well, this is good news for the Sox at least...

Experts say Johan Santana's filing of $6.8 million might be too high to win in arbitration. If he were to lose his case, the Twins would win monetarily, but could lose good will with the left-hander. "Just give us a little opportunity here to sign him; you're jumping the gun again," Twins GM Terry Ryan said Wednesday.
-- St. Paul Pioneer-Press

Tekijawa
01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Santana hasn't proven ANYTHING yet. For all we know it was a fluke year...

Ummm, no...

Look at his career stats... then realize that they have burried him in their Bullpen for the past few years.

I'll be the Charter member of the FOJS club! If you think this guy's a fluke I'd like to be in your Fantasy Baseball league! He'll be at worst a middle second round pick in my book!

Dadawg_77
01-20-2005, 03:55 PM
The guy should've asked for way more, but that only says something for the Twins organization and Johan. He wants to win, and knows that if he breakes the bank than the twins will have to trade away talent to afford him.

This is about service time. I think JS is in his fourth service year, thus he gets paid less. MLB system works 4 year guy gets paid less then a 5 year guy, he gets paid less then a 6 year guy.

Chisox003
01-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Ummm, no...

Look at his career stats... then realize that they have burried him in their Bullpen for the past few years.

I'll be the Charter member of the FOJS club! If you think this guy's a fluke I'd like to be in your Fantasy Baseball league! He'll be at worst a middle second round pick in my book!

No he wasnt a fluke...I remember early 2003 when Peter Gammons (Yes, I know I was shocked too) said this guy was a stud...Johan had a solid 2003 "buried in the pen" for some of the season (12-3 3.07 ERA in 158 IP) and in 2002 had a good year also, 8-6 2.99 ERA 108 IP...Hes the real deal

Mid 2nd round pick for him sounds good to me...

Tekijawa
01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
This is about service time. I think JS is in his fourth service year, thus he gets paid less. MLB system works 4 year guy gets paid less then a 5 year guy, he gets paid less then a 6 year guy.

He's in his final year of Arbitration... He'll be a FA next year, after this his 6th year of service.

Dadawg_77
01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
He's in his final year of Arbitration... He'll be a FA next year, after this his 6th year of service.

Does he really have that much service time? I can't find that listed anywhere, I know he was up in 2000, but I thought the Twins didn't break with him and brought him up in the second half which bought them another year. But if this is 6th year, that is a low number to ask for.

Tekijawa
01-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Does he really have that much service time? I can't find that listed anywhere, I know he was up in 2000, but I thought the Twins didn't break with him and brought him up in the second half which bought them another year. But if this is 6th year, that is a low number to ask for.

30 games and 86 innings pitched in 2000, I think that would count towards a full year?!?!?

HoustonAstros967
01-20-2005, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=WhiteSoxFan84]Santana hasn't proven ANYTHING yet. For all we know it was a fluke year.

You could say that about Carlos Beltran too. His career stats are very inconsistant but teams went crazy over the chance to sign him.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
You could say that about Carlos Beltran too. His career stats are very inconsistant but teams went crazy over the chance to sign him.

Don't get me wrong, they BOTH have amazing talent and both are the real deal. But talking as a GM, Santana hasn't proved to be worthy of a 3 year, $25 million contract yet. One more year, and I'll be satisified.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, they BOTH have amazing talent and both are the real deal. But talking as a GM, Santana hasn't proved to be worthy of a 3 year, $25 million contract yet. One more year, and I'll be satisified.
Milton, Clement, Lieber, Jaret Wright, and ESPECIALLY Carl Pavano got a ton of money this year offseason for doing nothing nearly as special as Johan Santana. Santana's been good for the twins for quite some time, but he was mainly stashed in the bullpen as a spot starter up until the middle of 2003 and the 2004 season. The 2005-06 FA market is going to be VERY interesting with Tim Hudson and Johan Santana available...

ma-gaga
01-20-2005, 07:22 PM
30 games and 86 innings pitched in 2000, I think that would count towards a full year?!?!?

He'll be a free agent AFTER 2006. Last year was his first arbitration year, this year is his second. I don't know WHY this isn't his "sixth year", probably because he spent the majority of 2002 in the minors...

ma-gaga
01-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Not so much. 30+ stolen bases, 30+ homeruns, and gold glove defense. Plus his production in the 2004 post-season was pretty good. :cool:

If Beltran can maintain his averages of the past four seasons, he should have 436 homers, 562 steals and 2,695 hits at age 37. Give him three more years, and Beltran would have 3,208 hits, 523 homers, 673 steals and a plaque with your team's cap in Cooperstown.

These projections are listed along with the lifetime totals of other center field greats such as Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio and Ty Cobb. Lo and behold, Beltran is on pace to become, stats-wise, the greatest center fielder. "When owners see these names, then it starts to click," Boras said. "They start to realize what kind of player we're dealing with. I tell them, 'Now do you understand why I'm placing a premium on this guy?' I say: 'This isn't what Scott Boras says. This is what the facts are."'

http://cmdr-scott.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_cmdr-scott_archive.html

Dadawg_77
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM

Its not. That why you'll see minor leaguers brought up in June. There is a cutoff date where that year doesn't count as a full year. It usually falls in mid May and is based on when other minor leaguers come up. I am sure Daver can provide some more info based on the CBA.