PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza agrees to terms w/Washington

WinningUgly!
01-19-2005, 09:49 AM
By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Who, exactly, is Esteban Loaiza? Is he the dominant right-handed starter who won 21 games and was the runner-up for the American League Cy Young award in 2003? Or is he the journeyman who has, that magical year notwithstanding, failed to win 12 games in a single season and was embarrassingly banished to the New York Yankees' bullpen last year?

The Washington Nationals are about to find out. Loaiza, a free agent, agreed to terms last night on a one-year, $2.9 million deal that includes incentives, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said on the condition of anonymity because Loaiza still needed to pass a physical before the deal was finalized. He was undergoing an MRI exam last night, delaying an announcement. Barring an unforeseen snag, Loaiza will be added to the Nationals' rotation today, where he will join righty Tomo Ohka, who yesterday became the last Washington player to avoid arbitration by signing a one-year, $2.75 million deal.

Washington Post Linky (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19247-2005Jan18.html?sub=new)
registration required

This is also being reported on ESPN News.

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I hope ELo passes the physical, so I can watch him pitch at RFK this season.

soxfan26
01-19-2005, 10:03 AM
$2.9 million? Esty did well for himself, I'm not too sure about the Nats though...

A rotation of Loaiza & Ohka? :o:

idseer
01-19-2005, 10:33 AM
$2.9 million? Esty did well for himself, I'm not too sure about the Nats though...

A rotation of Loaiza & Ohka? :o:

dumb signing.

Viva Medias B's
01-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Esteban Loaiza is now a Washington National, 1 year $2.9M. Apologies if posted already.

WinningUgly!
01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Apologies if posted already.

Apology accepted.:)

DC Sox Fan
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
I just can't get away from this guy :mad:

Saw him get ROCKED in Balmur last year. Looks like the Nats are going after all the Sox has-beens. Look for them to acquire Don Pall, Greg Hibbard and Matt Karchner to fill out their pitching staff....

FightingBillini
01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Good for Loaiza. I have a feeling he will have a great year. Not 2003 great, but he will win 13--15 games. I have nothing but respect for him. He showed heart in the playoffs. He always gave it his all, even when he didnt have his best stuff (which he didnt between may and september). He is by no means washed up. The way he pitched in the ALCS, there is plenty left in him. Even if he was a one year wonder, he can still be a consistantly good major league pitcher.

Dadawg_77
01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Washington Post Linky (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19247-2005Jan18.html?sub=new)
registration required

This is also being reported on ESPN News.

If he had switch the order of his year of great production, he would had a three year 27 million dollar deal this off season. I guess timing is every thing.

voodoochile
01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
If he had switch the order of his year of great production, he would had a three year 27 million dollar deal this off season. I guess timing is every thing.

Yeah, but the Sox might have signed him to a long term deal in that case and thus wouldn't have Freddy Garcia probably...

I know... I know... then they'd still have Reed and Olivo and probably be WS bound...

fusillirob1983
01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
This is a decent signing for the Nationals. These guys used to be the Expos. I don't think anyone should have expected them to sign any big name free agent this year, but he should help improve that team at least.

idseer
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
This is a decent signing for the Nationals. These guys used to be the Expos. I don't think anyone should have expected them to sign any big name free agent this year, but he should help improve that team at least.

i don't see why. except for one extreme burp in his career he's been loai-owwzy.

NonetheLoaiza
01-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I just wish he was signed by the Indians so we could see him 4 or 5 times a year...

mjharrison72
01-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I just can't get away from this guy :mad:

Saw him get ROCKED in Balmur last year. Looks like the Nats are going after all the Sox has-beens. Look for them to acquire Don Pall, Greg Hibbard and Matt Karchner to fill out their pitching staff....
Yeah... like I'm going to take the subway to RFK to see Esteban get worked by Carlos Beltran. Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun!:bandance: :bandance:

mjharrison72
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Umm, actually, the Nationals have made quite a few big-name signings... Vinny Castilla; Nick Johnson, who was the up and coming 1B for the Yankees before they picked up Giambi; Christian Guzman, who I was happy the Sox didn't sign but was a nice pickup for the Nats; and Jose Guillen. Add Jose Vidro at 2B, and they have a pretty decent infield. Put in Konerko for Johnson and I would trade the Washington IF for the Sox IF any day.
-M

hose
01-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Good for Loiaza , I hope he gets his fastball back and wins 13 + games for Washington.

He was a class act while he played for the Sox.

kraut83
01-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Best of luck to Esty! I read somewhere that RFK will be more of a pitcher's park. Hopefully between that & generally weaker NL lineups, he'll be able to put together 15 or so wins.

Foulke You
01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Good for Loaiza. I have a feeling he will have a great year. Not 2003 great, but he will win 13--15 games. I have nothing but respect for him. He showed heart in the playoffs. He always gave it his all, even when he didnt have his best stuff (which he didnt between may and september). He is by no means washed up. The way he pitched in the ALCS, there is plenty left in him. Even if he was a one year wonder, he can still be a consistantly good major league pitcher.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I always liked Loaiza. He had one of the most dominant years I ever saw a White Sox pitcher have. He should have won 23 or 24 games that year if we had solved the mystery that was the Tigers. He has lost some velocity off his cut fastball and the 2nd time around the AL the hitters had figured it out, especially since it was a tad slower. I can see him winning 12-15 games in the weaker NL where they haven't seen that cutter of his yet and he gets to face a pitcher instead of a DH.

JUribe1989
01-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm so happy he's not on the Yankees anymore. He is the #2 starter there right? Best of luck to Esteban. Hope he shuts out the Cubs!

quade36
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Just in case anyone is interested

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050119&content_id=932440&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Best of luck Loaiza in DC. Your 2003 season will not be forgotten! It was definitely the most memorable season I've seen from any Sox pitcher, albeit I was too young in '93 to see McDowell. If only the sox didn't collapse... :whiner:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Maybe I'm just being naive, but don't you need the town of which your team is supposed to reside WANT THE TEAM??? What happened to the fact that DC doesn't want to fund this franchise? Did I miss something? Hey wait...if Sosa goes too...

:D:

MUsoxfan
01-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Maybe I'm just being naive, but don't you need the town of which your team is supposed to reside WANT THE TEAM??? What happened to the fact that DC doesn't want to fund this franchise? Did I miss something? Hey wait...if Sosa goes too...

:D:

It's not that they don't want to, it's just that D.C. has alot more issues that they're money is better spent on. They want at least 50% private funding for the new stadium, IIRC

JoseCanseco6969
01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm so happy he's not on the Yankees anymore. He is the #2 starter there right? Best of luck to Esteban. Hope he shuts out the Cubs!

I guess I am the only one who remembers his bitching about no runs support here in Chicago. I will root for him against the scrubs, but definately against him every other game.

HoustonAstros967
01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I am really excited about this. Being a Sox fan i would love to see Loaiza back as a dominant pitcher like in 2003. The nationals pitching staff needed help and he was a great addition. He pitched good in the postseason and i could see him winning 15 games next season at least. OVERALL GREAT SIGNING! LOAIZA RULES!

petekat
01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
agree, Loaiza was a nice guy if you met him. Lost a little velocity but had some solid outings for the Yankees, especially in the pen during the playoffs. Dont fault him for not living up to expectations in the Big APple pressure cooker. Also feel he'll turn it around in Washington with lower expectations, and in a new league. Would have liked to have seen the Sox take a flyer on him- $2.9 probably too much, but how about an incentive laden contract to rejoin his teammates? Would have been nice security in case El Duque is not healthy (fearing the worst here)- also would have been cool to stick it to the Yanks with three ex-Yanks in the rotation!

MUsoxfan
01-19-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't know how he's gonna handle this though.....he's always been a Yankees fan and wanted to play for them. I bet he just retires from baseball if he can't play for the Yankees

Ol' No. 2
01-19-2005, 10:38 PM
And Osuna, too. So are they sending their castoffs to the Yankees to complete the cycle?

JB98
01-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I just wish he was signed by the Indians so we could see him 4 or 5 times a year...

True that, especially since we have noted Loaiza-killer Jermaine Dye on our roster now.

Hokiesox
01-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh, great! So, now when I want to go see a Nationals game (which I will, since RFK is in the middle of my commute), I have to see this loser? I'll wear my Sox gear every day he pitches there. Remind him of the team he sucked for last season...

Rocklive99
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Best wishes to Elo, I remember his first NYY start and the stupid ESPN crew was saying about how he was so happy to get out of Chicago and didn't like the fans etc etc etc. Of course none of it was true, Elo heard about it, and told ESPN to tell the truth. The next day ESPN was doing the daygame of OAK/NYY and quickly mentioned before the start of an inning that Elo wanted to make it clear that it wasn't true and he enjoyed Chicago. Jagbags

Nick@Nite
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Oh, great! So, now when I want to go see a Nationals game (which I will, since RFK is in the middle of my commute), I have to see this loser? I'll wear my Sox gear every day he pitches there. Remind him of the team he sucked for last season...

ELo did a helluva job for the Sox, considering the original expectations. Aside from his "no run support" whine at the time of the trade, he always carried himself well. I'll be at RFK too, and I'll be wearing my Sox cap. If I get the chance, I'll give Esteban a big shout of encouragement and a smile.

fusillirob1983
01-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Umm, actually, the Nationals have made quite a few big-name signings... Vinny Castilla; Nick Johnson, who was the up and coming 1B for the Yankees before they picked up Giambi; Christian Guzman, who I was happy the Sox didn't sign but was a nice pickup for the Nats; and Jose Guillen. Add Jose Vidro at 2B, and they have a pretty decent infield. Put in Konerko for Johnson and I would trade the Washington IF for the Sox IF any day.
-M

I really don't consider any of those big-name signings except maybe Jose Guillen, in terms of his ability to play baseball. Vinny Castilla wasn't too good away from Coors, and I don't consider Guzman a big name signing either. He's decent, and I agree that he's a nice pickup for the Nats, just how Loaiza is. I'm glad neither Guzman nor Loaiza are on the Sox. I think those were all smart signings by Washington, but I didn't really consider them big-name signings. They are all signings that should give them some credibility and may possibly make the Nationals an interest to future free agents.

DC Sox Fan
01-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Just to address a couple things here:

First, any bitterness I have towards Elo comes from that debocle up in Balmur last year. The 2 questions I had during that game where:

1) What happened to Eseban? and
2) Who the hell is Kelly Dransfeldt?!?!?!?

Don't wanna take anything away from his great 2003 season.

Regarding the stadium, things are under control. There were some last minute scares created by the DC council. Ultimately, they got a few more concessions from MLB (mainly getting the DC gov't off the hook if the new stadium isn't completed on schedule, and clarification that they're free to pursue private financing.) What was annoying about the whole thing was that people bitched and moaned about all this money going to the stadium instead of schools, hospitals, etc. This wasn't money earmarked for those programs, it was new money. The DC gov't is a complete joke.

As far as the rotation, Elo will probably be #2 behind Livan Hernandez, ahead of Tony Armas.

There was talk here last week that Corky was possibly coming this way. I prepared to burn my nationals hat before I even wore it to a game. fortunately, there's been no more talk, so hopefully it's died down.

As far as RFK being a pitcher/hitter park, I really don't know. Most are saying pitcher's park. Here's info about the dimensions from the team's website "mailbag" feature:

The stadium will be a pitchers' park. Here's what Nationals president Tony Tavares said about it two weeks ago: "The field will be 330 down the left- and right-field lines, probably 385 in the power alleys and 410 in dead center field. That's the way it is programmed right now."

So yeah, I'd say it's a pitcher's park the further you get away from the lines, but 330' to the poles doesn't sound like the ultimate pitcher's park to me.

Sorry to go on for so long, but I'm really excited about having a team in town. Something I've never experienced before. But make no mistake about it- MY SOX STILL ARE AND WILL ALWAYS BE #1! :D:

mjharrison72
01-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I really don't consider any of those big-name signings except maybe Jose Guillen, in terms of his ability to play baseball. Vinny Castilla wasn't too good away from Coors, and I don't consider Guzman a big name signing either. He's decent, and I agree that he's a nice pickup for the Nats, just how Loaiza is. I'm glad neither Guzman nor Loaiza are on the Sox. I think those were all smart signings by Washington, but I didn't really consider them big-name signings. They are all signings that should give them some credibility and may possibly make the Nationals an interest to future free agents.
Fair enough... I guess I just figure they're making a lot of smart moves with decent guys, maybe not the biggest names, but doing what they can to put a decent lineup out there. They are in the running for Shammy, too, which would be big-name, but probably a stupid move.

mjharrison72
01-20-2005, 03:23 PM
2) Who the hell is Kelly Dransfeldt?!?!?!?
I was thinking the same thing that night...