PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sox game

Milkman43
01-18-2005, 10:50 PM
what was your all-time favorite sox game that you attended?

Harris=God
01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
We beat tampa bay 2 years ago we had seats in the first row and this guy was heckling carl everett saying something about fighting in his next at bat. Also it was great when my friend called rocco baldelli a choad when he was catching a ball at the track and he just looked at us all weird and walked away. Great times.

mike squires
01-18-2005, 11:00 PM
for as many games I've been too I have yet to see a bottom of the ninth dinger or anything like that. I attended the 14 inning game that I think Perry ended (maybe it was durham) with a base hit to left but I was in the last row of the upperdeck so a lot of the drama was lost by the time:) it got up there. When all said and done it would be my first Soxgame. 2 Luzinski homers including a roof shot, a Bains homer and a Marc Hill suicide squeeze that brought in Ron Kittle. I was only 10 but what a day.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
The best game I've attended was definitely the Friday game in 2003 vs the cubs at the cell. It was the one with the Jose walk off HR off of one of the cubs scrub pitchers. It was either Alfonseca or Cruz that served up the meatball. I was CHEERING when I saw those bums warm up for the cubs, I knew that they would blow it. Everyone was cheering JOSE JOSE JOSE while exiting the stadium. I know Brian26 still has the pic of Jose circling the bases in his sig...a great memory!

chisoxmike
01-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Ah, I often think of this one. I would say 7/24/04 vs Tigers. Not just becuase Crede's walk off, but the fact they were down 6-2 in the 7th. It was also the last day they were in 1st place in 2004.

TornLabrum
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Second game I ever went to, in June 1956. Larry Doby up for the Sox; Art Ditmar on the mound for the Yankees. Ditmar nearly puts one in Doby's ear. Doby yells something. Ditmar comes about halfway to the plate and yells something back. (I learned later it was a racial epithet. Ya gotta love those Yankees.)

Doby charges Ditmar, and both benches clear. Chaos on the field. My dad is holding me on his shoulders so I can see. The fight goes about 20 minutes, and the field is nearly cleared when somebody from the Yankess bench (Whitey Ford as I recall) and it starts all over again.

You may have seen the picture of Enos Slaughter walking back to the Yankee dugout with his cap askew and the shirt ripped off his back. That was done by Walt "Moose" Dropo. I can still remember my dad pointing him out to me.

The only bad thing was the Sox lost the damn game.

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
June 28, 2002. Cubs vs Sox @ Comiskey Park (Section 354 Row 3). The Cubs came out to bat and just absolutely rocked Danny Wright. Before I knew it, the score was 8-0 in favor of the bad guys. I went to the Skyline Lounge to get a drink to relax myself debating on whether or not I should leave. Soon it was 8-2 so I went back out to my seat to see what was going on. As soon as I got there, Paulie rocked a 2 run bomb off Kerry Woods and at that point I had to stay because the Cubs infamous bullpen was in. The runs kept coming and then an inning later, Paulie rocked another 2 run "no-doubter" bomb off JoBo to make it 10-8. Now I knew the Sox would win. A 3 run inning off the Farns sealed the deal.

That my friends, was the greatest baseball game I ever went to

chisoxmike
01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
June 28, 2002. Cubs vs Sox @ Comiskey Park (Section 354 Row 3). The Cubs came out to bat and just absolutely rocked Danny Wright. Before I knew it, the score was 8-0 in favor of the bad guys. I went to the Skyline Lounge to get a drink to relax myself debating on whether or not I should leave. Soon it was 8-2 so I went back out to my seat to see what was going on. As soon as I got there, Paulie rocked a 2 run bomb off Kerry Woods and at that point I had to stay because the Cubs infamous bullpen was in. The runs kept coming and then an inning later, Paulie rocked another 2 run "no-doubter" bomb off JoBo to make it 10-8. Now I knew the Sox would win. A 3 run inning off the Farns sealed the deal.

No doubt. I remember watching that on TV. Man, the next block had to have heard me.

batmanZoSo
01-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Opening day 2000 against Anaheim. Ray Durham made the most amazing catch on a pop up for an infielder I've ever seen. We won 8-5 or so. Just a beautiful day and plenty of pre and post game fun which I can't go into much detail here.

chisox06
01-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Agree 100%, I was in the last row of the upper deck. The great thing about that game is all the flub fans felt like they game was over and started running their mouths. When Paulie hit that dinger (not the mention the fact he was hit in the head by Wood in a previous at bat and stayed in the game) I turned from an indepth observer to a raging lunatic. The white sox rally towel came in handy when I ran down two rows and gave some flub fans a little "taste" of ol' whitey, these two morons were talkin it up to me the whole game. I will forever remember that and as it stands thats the best game Ive ever been too, and one of the coolest moments I can remember in general. In your face flubs!:bandance:

mike squires
01-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that one!!! reat game. Beautiful catch, homers by Frank and Paulie, 70 degree weather. That would rank right up there with my 83 game...

soxfan43
01-18-2005, 11:33 PM
cubs-sox a couple of years back. bases loaded walk off slam by Clee off farnsworth. the look on my 2 buddies who are cubs fans was priceless

greasywheels121
01-18-2005, 11:37 PM
I usually only make 1 game a year being young and in Indiana. However, I got to catch 2 sweet games this year.

July 8th....9-8 comeback win over the Angels

July 24th...Joe Crede walk-off...last day we were in 1st in '04...*tear*

StillMissOzzie
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
cubs-sox a couple of years back. bases loaded walk off slam by Clee off farnsworth. the look on my 2 buddies who are cubs fans was priceless

I thought that the sCrUB pitcher for that game was Courtney Duncan, because I was gonna pick this one too. There was another Sox vs. sCrUBS game that was a Friday day game, where the Sox pitchers struck out Sosa in two clutch AB's in a row, the 7th and 8th innings, IIRC.

Then there was the game where Manos game through with a clutch bloop hit off of Mariano Rivera to pull one out-another Friday night gem.

There was the Robin Ventura grand slam off of Gossage.

So many fine memories, it's hard to pick my absolute favorite.

SMO
:gulp:

BridgePortNative
01-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Oh, most definitely the one when we played the Yankees in 04, the first game and man, it was awesome........the atmosphere there was amazing. Good thing there wasn't any Yankee fans there. Packed house, Rain,"YANKEES SUCK", all through the game a battle with the offense

chisoxmike
01-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Oh, most definitely the one when we played the Yankees in 04, the first game and man, it was awesome........the atmosphere there was amazing. Good thing there wasn't any Yankee fans there. Packed house, Rain,"YANKEES SUCK", all through the game a battle with the offense

Yeah, that was the most fun I've had at a game where the Sox lost. They battled though.

JUribe1989
01-19-2005, 12:17 AM
8/18/03 Big Frank 2 homers including a walkoff hit just inside the foul pole to win it. Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye was being sung by everyone as we left the stadium.

wsoxfan
01-19-2005, 12:46 AM
yeah, definitly Lee's walkoff grand slam in extra innings to beat the queers from the northside..:bandance:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-19-2005, 12:48 AM
That was a fun game to attend. I remember Buehrle gave up a bunch of runs at the beginning of the game but the sox did mount a come back. Unfortunately, the pen continued to give up runs and the sox lost. The rain delay was pretty enjoyable as well. I "upgraded" to upper deck seats under the roof during the rain delay. The game didn't end until around midnight, and it was a school night for me as well. :D:

indysoxfan
01-19-2005, 12:56 AM

I think i was in sec. 118..... Best game ever. I have never heard a crowd so loud after Paulie hit that second homerun. Still brings tears to my eyes...:smile:

popilius
01-19-2005, 01:02 AM
The best game I've attended was definitely the Friday game in 2003 vs the cubs at the cell. It was the one with the Jose walk off HR off of one of the cubs scrub pitchers. It was either Alfonseca or Cruz that served up the meatball. I was CHEERING when I saw those bums warm up for the cubs, I knew that they would blow it. Everyone was cheering JOSE JOSE JOSE while exiting the stadium. I know Brian26 still has the pic of Jose circling the bases in his sig...a great memory!

I was at that game too. . . the electricity in the park that day was unbelievable! I remember the Cubs had guys on 2nd and 3rd with one out in two different innings, with Sosa and Alou coming up. Both times, Sosa and Alou fouled off a lot of pitches and finally made outs.

The entire stadium was cheering "JOSE" for about 15 minutes!

My favorite 2 games, however, are:

1. The 1993 division clincher. I was sitting about 10 rows up at first base, and vividly remember Bo Jackson's victory lap!

2. A game in 1995 (I think- can anyone correct me?) when Ozzie Guillen's triple won the game in the bottom of the 13th. Mike LaValliere scored from first, and there was a play at the plate! It was like 1:00 in the morning.

:gulp:

popilius
01-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Opening day 2000 against Anaheim. Ray Durham made the most amazing catch on a pop up for an infielder I've ever seen. We won 8-5 or so. Just a beautiful day and plenty of pre and post game fun which I can't go into much detail here.

I was at that game too! Durham's catch made me cry. . . it was too beautiful. . .

chisox117
01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
One of my favorite games in recent memory that Iíve attended in person was Cal Eldredís complete game shutout against the Indians in June 2000. Ray-Ray lead off with a homer and Cal could not be stopped. The Sox were absolutely on fire at the time having taken 3 of 3 at Jacobs Field and then following that up with a 4 game sweep of the Yankees in NY. It was a great time to be a Sox fan! :gulp:

Another favorite game was the first game vs. the Cubs at Comiskey in í99. Carlos Lee drove in the game winner with a sac fly in the 9th. My friends and I gave the frightened Cub fans hell at the top of our lungs all the way down the ramps to the Bullpen Bar. Miraculously we were able to get the perfect seats to see Carlos interviewed for the post-game show down there. (too bad the Sox dropped the next 2 though :cuss: )

FredManrique
01-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Favourite:
The best one I was in attendance for was Sept 20, 1991, Sox vs Angels at New Comiskey. It was freezing. Mark Langston was pitching, and he had that Sox number just like he always did. 2-0 bottom of the ninth... looked like another disappointing Sox loss, when from out of nowhere, pinch hitting for Ron Karkovice, Bo Jackson crushes an amazing opposite field home run. Sox go on to win it in 11.

2nd Favourite:
Last game of the year, 1987. Sox vs A's. Sox won this one 17-2, with an eleven run fifth, in which Tony La Russa got ejected. I had a great time screaming "nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye" to him with my friends.

Two games that meant nothing in the standings, but they sure meant a lot to me growing up.

MUsoxfan
01-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Welcome to the party we call WSI, Fred!:D: Where are you from, since you have your "favourites"?

npdempse
01-19-2005, 02:08 AM
The best game I've attended was definitely the Friday game in 2003 vs the cubs at the cell. It was the one with the Jose walk off HR off of one of the cubs scrub pitchers. It was either Alfonseca or Cruz that served up the meatball. I was CHEERING when I saw those bums warm up for the cubs, I knew that they would blow it. Everyone was cheering JOSE JOSE JOSE while exiting the stadium.

That's mine as well. 6/27/03, IIRC. The park was absolutely electric.

A couple of runners-up--not so much for the game but for the "wow" factor--

Last year's triple play vs. the Angels,
and,
Frank's 400th HR.

clee-hegone
01-19-2005, 02:13 AM
its a tie between the game at old comiskey when the yankees no hit us but we still won and when blackjack beaned i believe devon white and we had a bench clearing brawl. the game i wish i was at was the game against detroit with the brawl and the then unselfish maggs ordonez karate kicked someone. looking back now with what we know i wish someone karate kicked him.

FARMEO
01-19-2005, 03:03 AM
I have been very lucky to attend some great games. I saw C. Lee's grandslam and Jose's homerun against the Cubs. I was right in line the Konkero's 2nd homerun, I couldn't tell if it was going to make it or not. I was also at the 93 clinch game and opening day 2000 -there were a lot of great games in 2000. I will have to go with the game when La Russa picked up 3rd base and threw it towards the stands at old Comiskey during an argument with the umpires. Fisk had a homerun called back because the Orioles whined and claimed fan interference.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-19-2005, 07:22 AM
its a tie between the game at old comiskey when the yankees no hit us but we still won and when blackjack beaned i believe devon white and we had a bench clearing brawl. the game i wish i was at was the game against detroit with the brawl and the then unselfish maggs ordonez karate kicked someone. looking back now with what we know i wish someone karate kicked him.
I was at that Sox-Yankee game, July 01, 1990. Andy Hawkins no hit the Sox, but the Sox won 4 to zip. I think Fisk hit a sky-high pop up that was lost in the sun, and the Sox cleared the bases. I was in the right field upper deck at the Old park. The sun was so bright, we really couldn't see the field that well. It was also very windy too. It's an odd feeling being at a potential no hitter when it's a home game and your team is hitless. You want to win the game, but you become acutely aware that you're watching history in the making. You could see lots of victories, but the chances of witnessing a no-hitter are very slim. This game provided the best of both worlds.

nccwsfan
01-19-2005, 08:18 AM
for as many games I've been too I have yet to see a bottom of the ninth dinger or anything like that. I attended the 14 inning game that I think Perry ended (maybe it was durham) with a base hit to left but I was in the last row of the upperdeck so a lot of the drama was lost by the time:) it got up there. When all said and done it would be my first Soxgame. 2 Luzinski homers including a roof shot, a Bains homer and a Marc Hill suicide squeeze that brought in Ron Kittle. I was only 10 but what a day.

I was at that very same game and would also say that it was the best White Sox game I've ever attended. 11 years old at the time and I still remember so much about that game- Oil Can Boyd giving up back to back HR's, Luzinski's roof shot, Carl Yaztremski's final game in Chicago......the place was electric!

That 1983 Sox team is by far my favorite team of all time, and hopefully the upcoming versions can raise the bar even higher. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

eastchicagosoxfan
01-19-2005, 09:00 AM
In 1982, Steve Kemp hit a walk-off homerun, and I was there. It was really cool. It was a sparse crowd, as I recall it. Was it against Detroit? It may have been, or I may be associating his old team with the game.

SoxFan48
01-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Sep 1961--Yankees in a down a weekday for a make-up double header. Maris hot in chase of Ruth and Mantle just a few behind. Sox won the first game easily and game back in the second scoring 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

And, of course, there were about 4000 people at old Comiskey to see it...But I and two my HS pals were three of them.

ja1022
01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
September 17, 1983. My favorite game of recent memory was September 8, 2003. This was the first game of the four game set against the Twins in Cellmiskey. At the time, the Sox and Twins were dead even and Colon was pitching that first game of the set. We were in the Club section on the Sox side, and what was cool was the build up of applause as Colon slowly walked from the bullpen to the dugout. For this game it was different than I've ever heard it before. It seems everybody, myself included, was expecting the Sox to deliver a knock out punch and take control of the central. Of course, they won the first two of the set but settled for a split, and eventually, second place.

AZChiSoxFan
01-19-2005, 09:57 AM
July 24th...Joe Crede walk-off...last day we were in 1st in '04...*tear*

That's also the best Sox game I've attended.

SoxFan78
01-19-2005, 10:00 AM

This too was my favorite game. I was in row 29 of 30 in the upper deck. (Good thing I logged on at 10 AM when tickets went on sale back in March). It was unbelievable. Jose hit that home run and the place was electric.

WGN used that home run in their promos for the sox for the rest of that year. Awesome, just awesome.

Sox Laundry Guy
01-19-2005, 11:08 AM
I was at the game against the Tigers where the 2 fights occured. My car gave out at the front of the gate. There was about 15,000 attendance, and a beloved CPD let me park in the middle of Shields. Got in at the second inning, and it was a great day, beer flowin' like crazy. The lumber had come out, and Detroit got pissed at something. They threw, we threw.dean palmer got hit and the Magglio karate kick cane out. Then the second fight came on and Keith Foulke cut sucker punched by Robert Fick and Simas got jumped by 5 or 6 guys. Sox killedeme 14-6, and the crowd and team were going crazy for that win.

It really was the best by far. Honorable Mentions:

Coming back to the park after the sweep of NYY and CLE.
First real Cubs-Sox meeting.

mcfish
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
A couple of runners-up--not so much for the game but for the "wow" factor--

Last year's triple play vs. the AngelsThe wow factor in that game for me was how incredibly bad the Sox played that day. If not for that one play, the game would have been the absolute worst Sox game I have ever been to. With that play, it still ranks up there. It was the perfect situation though with Benji Molina at the plate, a grounder right to the bag at 3rd - Crede fields it and steps on the bag, throws over to second, and at that point they could have walked the ball over to Paulie with how slow Molina is. Very cool to see. What an awful awful game the rest of it was though.

FredManrique
01-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the party we call WSI, Fred!:D: Where are you from, since you have your "favourites"?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm actually from Chicago, born in the city, raised in the south suberbs. The English spellings are something that picked up living abroad after college. I should probably go back to the regular way since I've moved back to the States.

Go Sox!

CHISOXFAN13
01-19-2005, 11:46 AM
So tough to narrow this down.

I'd say right off the bat, one of my all-time favorite moments was being in section 512 when Ventura hit the slam off Gossage to win it in the ninth.

Sept. 23, 1993 was also another classic, as was the Sox rally against the Cubs in 2002.

I've been blessed to see so many fantastic White Sox games in person.

ja1022
01-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't remember much about the game, but one of my favorite memories was being at a game in '75 or '76 when Frank Robinson was the player-manager of the Indians. He put himself in to pinch hit in the top of the ninth and homered to beat the Sox.

SOXFAN82
01-19-2005, 12:05 PM
yes i have to say the friday 2003 game against the cubs was awesome...when jose hit the homerun off octupous fingers...

My second favorite has to be the olivo grandslam in the first for the sox vs the cubs at wrigley..... :bandance:

Max Power
01-19-2005, 12:31 PM

That's mine too! I was in the upper deck down by the right field foul pole and I'll never forget the energy of the crowd- even way up there. People were high fiving strangers... what a scene.

Medford Bobby
01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
:smile: Ditto the July 1st 1990 game with the Hawkins No-Hitter......it was the Hitless Wonders making their last appearance before the Baseball Palace of the World was to be demolished. And that was a last minute game to go too...I picked up a 5 dollar general admission and sat in Box seats behind home plate and first base..........Also I'll throw in a Sox -Boston game of July 1977...the park was packed and the scoreboard probably ran out of fireworks at some point.....loud and electrifying.....:rolleyes:

mweflen
01-19-2005, 01:05 PM

I too have to cite this game as my personal favorite. Down 8-0, winning it 13-8? Fuggedaboudit. It was the reversal of fortune and the looks on idiot Cubs fan faces that really iced the cake.

The game with Carlos' walk off grand slam abainst the Flubbies is close, too.

There were plenty against the Tribe in '00 that rocked the house, too. I need to dig out my scorecards and have a look at them, though.

Brian26
01-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Everyone was cheering JOSE JOSE JOSE while exiting the stadium. I know Brian26 still has the pic of Jose circling the bases in his sig...a great memory!

That is, without a doubt, the most electricity I've ever felt at the Cell after a win. The concourse on the upper deck felt like we had just won the seventh game of the World Series. It took a good 20 minutes to walk down the ramps, and that Jose Jose Jose hymn wouldn't stop.

Brian26
01-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Ah, I often think of this one. I would say 7/24/04 vs Tigers. Not just becuase Crede's walk off, but the fact they were down 6-2 in the 7th. It was also the last day they were in 1st place in 2004.

Absolutely the best game of the 2004 season. A perfect night. Fireworks night. The Twins lost. We won. An amazing comeback. Crede had a hell of a night too....he took a pitch down the rightfield line a few innings earlier to clear the bases. The place went nuts when the Crede homer just cleared the fence. The last day in first place for the season....And it all started to unravel the very next day. At the time, everything looked bright.

NonetheLoaiza
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
The clincher in 93 and Frank's 400th. I wanted to see him hit 400 so bad, and he hit one deep to the warning track on his first at bat, and everyone was going crazy thinking it was out. In his 2nd at bat, I think everyone in the park knew the ball was going to leave the yard, and it did, with the crowd going crazy. They had a little Frank montage of his historic homeruns. It was a great game.

If I may be sentimental here, every Sox game is my favorite, because I love that team.

wsbaseball9
01-19-2005, 01:20 PM
I think the sox were playing anaheim....w/e im not sure about all the details down by 1 in the 9th with someone on third and timo on first and all i remember is timo rounding 3rd and hearing hawk going COME ON TIMO COME ON TIMO and in a great display timo slid in to home safe

Brian26
01-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Let me throw one more out:

July 2, 2003.

PK comes up with an unbelievable home run (I think it was even a pinch hit) in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. This was after PK had been in a huge slump for the entire first half of the season. Then, in the bottom of the 12th, Frank takes Eddie Guardado to 18 pitches, fouling off pitch after pitch after pitch. Finally, he connects...a shot down the left field line......and the place went nuts.

:hawk

"WAYYYYYYYYYYY BACCCCKKKKKKK.....he looks up....you ...can...put it on the board.....

:hawk :DJ

"YES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

whitesoxwilkes
01-19-2005, 01:29 PM
1) Crede walk off vs the Tigers (anyone else remember how cold it was that night?)

2) Lee's slam vs the Cubs in 2001

3) Magglio's extra innings bomb to beat the Yankees in 2003.

nebraskasox
01-19-2005, 01:33 PM
That 83 game with the Luzinski roof shot is my favorite too. Oil Can Boyd tried to groove a 3-2 pitch to the Bull - what a mistake! I was in the upper deck down the right field line and had my zoom lens trained on the Bull for the pitch. I was focusing and clicked the shutter on the swing so I really didn't see the flight of the ball. There was a huge roar from the big crowd and everyone stood up. The fans in the upper deck in left field had their arms outstretched as if to catch a ball. The ball went over their heads onto the roof! The scoreboard explosions added to the fan frenzy.

My wife and I attended two other games that week. The Sox won them all - beating Texas, 5-0. Fisk had an inside-the-park HR and Baines added a 2 run shot. Then we saw Lamar Hoyt pitch a 4 hit shutout over KC. The Sox won 12-0 on 14 hits and set a new attendance record that night. Fisk and Wimpy homered. I still have the scorecard. It was a great week of baseball.

Lip Man 1
01-19-2005, 01:49 PM
A few points:

It's amazing to me reading these comments how young some of the posters are and how unfortunate it is that they never had the opportunity to see the Sox from say the 50's or through most of the 60's. That friends and neighbors was baseball as it should be played.

Hal, your reference to the biggest fight of the 50's was correct except it wasn't Whitey Ford, it was Billy Martin who 'revived' the brawl after things had apparently calmed down. By the way Art Ditmar the Yanks pitcher who threw at Doby and started the fight was NOT thrown out of the game!

As for my best moment...man that's hard. Among the contenders was my first game July 15, 1963...Gary Peters throws a one hit, complete game shutout of Baltimore striking out 11. Sox won 4-0 behind two run home runs from McCraw and Martin.....on the first Sunday of June 1977. The Sox take two from the Twins moving into first place. Larrin LaGrow strikes out Larry Hisle in the 9th of the second game to save it. The fans start shouting 'we're number one'...or June 1972, a Sunday DH with Milwaukee. The Sox win both but in one inning off Jim Lonborg, Luis Alvarado, Mike Andrews and Dick Allen all blast home runs. I was sitting the the left field upper deck near the foul line as Allen's blast fell a few feet in front of me.

But here's the winner...June 4, 1972. The Yanks are in town for a DH. Sox won the first game behind Tom Bradley. Allen rests in the second game. In the last of the 9th with two on he's called out to pinch hit (The Sox frantically had to find him because he wasn't in the clubhouse. According to Ed Herrmann and Bill Melton, Allen was found at a taco stand ACROSS THE STREET from the park!) Dick rushed back, grabs a bat and hits a three run ding-dong off Sparky Lyle to win it. The crowd went nuts, I was sitting in the lower deck in right center field. For thirty minutes they refused to leave the park! Chuck Tanner said in the clubhouse the noise was unbelieveable, the players actually felt the stadium swaying from the noise and the stomping.

THAT was an afternoon! Years later I actually got the broadcast of the game and the sound of Allen's bat meeting Lyle's pitch could be heard over the noise of 40,000 fans. It was very special.

Hmmmm....I may have to relisten to that game this afternoon!

:smile:

Lip

kingpin_rcs
01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I last posted.

A have many games that I remember vividly. But here are the top 3.

1. 1984 Harold Baines (in his prime) hits a walkoff homer against CLE (I think). Everybody was doing the HA-ROLD!! HA-ROLD!! All they way out of the park and into the parking lots. It was very cool.

2. The last game at Old Comiskey park. Nothing special about the game but I took a lot of pictures and took a lot of time to take one last look.

3. The clincher in 1993. Bo Jackson hit a "pop-up" that kept going, and going and going and became a 3 run homer. I have never felt energy at a ball game like that before or since. My friends and I made a banner and my friend got a picture of the scoreboeard with us on it - classic! I managed to get tickes to game 7 of the ALCS but as we know, it didn't happen. :(:

Sad
01-19-2005, 02:03 PM
My first game at "New Comiskey", and, the 3rd game for the SOX... it's memorable for me because it was their first win in the new park (vs. the Tigers)

it was looking like a sweep for Detroit and then the right fielder I believe it was dropped the fly ball allowing a run to score... dramatic finish somewhat obscured now by years of emptying beer cans :tongue:

CHISOXFAN13
01-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Let me throw one more out:

July 2, 2003.

PK comes up with an unbelievable home run (I think it was even a pinch hit) in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game. This was after PK had been in a huge slump for the entire first half of the season. Then, in the bottom of the 12th, Frank takes Eddie Guardado to 18 pitches, fouling off pitch after pitch after pitch. Finally, he connects...a shot down the left field line......and the place went nuts.

:hawk

"WAYYYYYYYYYYY BACCCCKKKKKKK.....he looks up....you ...can...put it on the board.....

:hawk :DJ

"YES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

One of my favorite all-time Hawk calls. Hell, I was at that game, too. Way too many great games to choose just one after reading everyone's choices!

:bandance:

Sad
01-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I was at the Crede walkoff and Jose games... they were awesome and I'll never forget 'em!

NonetheLoaiza
01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
A few points:

It's amazing to me reading these comments how young some of the posters are and how unfortunate it is that they never had the opportunity to see the Sox from say the 50's or through most of the 60's. That friends and neighbors was baseball as it should be played.

Hal, your reference to the biggest fight of the 50's was correct except it wasn't Whitey Ford, it was Billy Martin who 'revived' the brawl after things had apparently calmed down. By the way Art Ditmar the Yanks pitcher who threw at Doby and started the fight was NOT thrown out of the game!

As for my best moment...man that's hard. Among the contenders was my first game July 15, 1963...Gary Peters throws a one hit, complete game shutout of Baltimore striking out 11. Sox won 4-0 behind two run home runs from McCraw and Martin.....on the first Sunday of June 1977. The Sox take two from the Twins moving into first place. Larrin LaGrow strikes out Larry Hisle in the 9th of the second game to save it. The fans start shouting 'we're number one'...or June 1972, a Sunday DH with Milwaukee. The Sox win both but in one inning off Jim Lonborg, Luis Alvarado, Mike Andrews and Dick Allen all blast home runs. I was sitting the the left field upper deck near the foul line as Allen's blast fell a few feet in front of me.

But here's the winner...June 4, 1972. The Yanks are in town for a DH. Sox won the first game behind Tom Bradley. Allen rests in the second game. In the last of the 9th with two on he's called out to pinch hit (The Sox frantically had to find him because he wasn't in the clubhouse. According to Ed Herrmann and Bill Melton, Allen was found at a taco stand ACROSS THE STREET from the park!) Dick rushed back, grabs a bat and hits a three run ding-dong off Sparky Lyle to win it. The crowd went nuts, I was sitting in the lower deck in right center field. For thirty minutes they refused to leave the park! Chuck Tanner said in the clubhouse the noise was unbelieveable, the players actually felt the stadium swaying from the noise and the stomping.

THAT was an afternoon! Years later I actually got the broadcast of the game and the sound of Allen's bat meeting Lyle's pitch could be heard over the noise of 40,000 fans. It was very special.

Hmmmm....I may have to relisten to that game this afternoon!

:smile:

Lip

I love that era of baseball. I wish I could have seen that game of baseball being played, because as you said, that was the era that baseball was baseball. I am young, but I have tremendous respect for the history of the game of baseball, and in projects and research I have done, I have to say that I wish I was alive to witness that time of baseball.

Hosey22
01-19-2005, 03:18 PM
One high up on my list comes back in 2000, with Jeff Abbotts blast in the bottom of the ninth to give us the victory. I remember cursing when i heard that abbott was coming out to pinch hit. The Sox were in a bit of a skid at the time, but when he hit that ball everything changed. I remember seeing him hit it and knowing it was gone, then looking back from my seats right next to the sox dugout to see kelly wuncsh and everyone else going crazy. Great ballgame.

The sox over the twins to sweep them at home in 2003 was also amazing, seeing Paulie come out of nowhere to tie the game, and then Frank win it.

The CLee grandslam goes without saying. After maggs struck out I thought we'd strand the bases loaded, but that ball lee hit just sailed on out.

The clincher in 93' was the most electric game i've ever been at, I don't think anything could really beat that. You guys are right, there are a lot to pick from, to bad none of them are playoff games.

soxwon
01-19-2005, 05:26 PM
GAME 6 OF THE 2005 SOX-METS WORLD SERIES

BUEHRLE SHUTSOUT MARTINEZ 1-0

SOX WIN SERIES yesssssssssssssssssss

Palehose13
01-19-2005, 05:33 PM

That one. As soon as he hit the ball, he put his hands up in the air (like Touchdown!) and the stadium went nuts. It was AWESOME!

BigHurt359300
01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
I dont know what game it was, or what the score was, but it was in 2000, Frank Thomas was up everyone chanting "MVP, MVP!" and then he blasted a dinger.

close 2nd is Robin Venturas comeback game after breaking his ankle, game winning double

AZChiSoxFan
01-19-2005, 06:33 PM
That 83 game with the Luzinski roof shot is my favorite too. Oil Can Boyd tried to groove a 3-2 pitch to the Bull - what a mistake! I was in the upper deck down the right field line and had my zoom lens trained on the Bull for the pitch. I was focusing and clicked the shutter on the swing so I really didn't see the flight of the ball. There was a huge roar from the big crowd and everyone stood up. The fans in the upper deck in left field had their arms outstretched as if to catch a ball. The ball went over their heads onto the roof! The scoreboard explosions added to the fan frenzy.

My wife and I attended two other games that week. The Sox won them all - beating Texas, 5-0. Fisk had an inside-the-park HR and Baines added a 2 run shot. Then we saw Lamar Hoyt pitch a 4 hit shutout over KC. The Sox won 12-0 on 14 hits and set a new attendance record that night. Fisk and Wimpy homered. I still have the scorecard. It was a great week of baseball.

I'm pretty new to WSI myself, but nonetheless: :welcome:

MRKARNO
01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
8/18/03 Big Frank 2 homers including a walkoff hit just inside the foul pole to win it. Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye was being sung by everyone as we left the stadium.

I concur

Chisox003
01-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Unbelievable game! I was sitting in the upper deck along the first base line....If I'm not mistaken, that was Roberto Alomars first game with the Sox and he almost ended it with a long foul ball a few innings before...Also, Konerko hadnt played that game and came up in the 10th inning (maybe 9th) with 2 outs, and everybody started filing out (At the time, Paulie was hitting near the Mendoza line)....Paulie launched one out into left center, and a few innings later Frank won it....Awesome

Hawk & DJ's call was classic for that one too, I heard it the next day...I thought for sure Hawk croaked when Frank hit it

JUribe1989
01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Unbelievable game! I was sitting in the upper deck along the first base line....If I'm not mistaken, that was Roberto Alomars first game with the Sox and he almost ended it with a long foul ball a few innings before...Also, Konerko hadnt played that game and came up in the 10th inning (maybe 9th) with 2 outs, and everybody started filing out (At the time, Paulie was hitting near the Mendoza line)....Paulie launched one out into left center, and a few innings later Frank won it....Awesome

Hawk & DJ's call was classic for that one too, I heard it the next day...I thought for sure Hawk croaked when Frank hit it

Stay fair.....stay fair!!!.........YES!!!

brewcrew/chisox
01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Definitely Lee's grand slam in the bottom of the 11th inning to beat the Cubs. It was my first cub/sox game, and I'll never forget the excitement.

mike squires
01-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Hawk definately got emotional when Paulie tid it. PAUL KNOERKO HAS TIED THIS GAME...he had a little crack in his voice. Excellent call. I think everyoneknew THe Big Hurt was going to end the game...what an at bat.

mike squires
01-19-2005, 07:56 PM

NIce first pos and welcome aboard!!! A few years ago I got the paper out on microfilm at the lib nd looked this game up. Leyland was quoted as saying it looked like a golfball. Rudy Law almost hit one out down the rightfield line. You wouldn't happen to have doubles of that icture wouldyou. I would love to get it blown up. I would consider buying it off of you...what a firstSox game to attend.

santo=dorf
01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
There were some obnoxious Yankee fans in the upper deck, but there were still more obnoxious Cubs fans at that game.

Sitting in the bleachers on 7/02/03 was a great experience as was this game:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1720

santo=dorf
01-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Stay fair.....stay fair!!!.........YES!!!
Here you go! (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/frankwalkoff.wav)

santo=dorf
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM

no, no, no, no. Roberto's and Carl's first game was on 7/02/03.

Hawk's call was:

HIGH AND DEEP!!!!! WAAAAAAAYYYYY BACK!!!! THEY LOOK UP!!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOAAARRDD (losing voice) YES!!!!

Brian26
01-19-2005, 08:59 PM

I think you're mixing up two games. The 7/2/03 game was the one you described against the Twins. The 8/18/03 game was (I think) against the Angels, and Frank won it with a homer in the 9th off Washburn.

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
To date, this game is my favorite; Valentin homers in first three at-bats (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030731&content_id=452682&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) . It was as if everytime I stood up to get another beer, Jose went deep. :cool:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/07/30/XQUQysZZ.jpg
Manos dialing it up in KC - July 31, 2003

EDIT: Jose Valentin Goes Yard His First Three At Bats (rtsp://a592.v108693.c10869.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/592/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/mlb/open/2003/topplays/video/archive07/demand/073003_chakca_valentin_3_hr_300.rm?ct1=mlb)

santo=dorf
01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
To date, this game is my favorite; Valentin homers in first three at-bats (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030731&content_id=452682&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) . It was as if everytime I stood up to get another beer, Jose went deep. :cool:

Jose's second home run. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/jose2.wav)

Jose's third home run. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/jose3.wav)

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Jose's second home run. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/jose2.wav)

Jose's third home run. (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/jose3.wav)

Thanks :cool: ... I just added the video link to my post... ah the memories. :D:

Gosox1917
01-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Well, I haven't been to a whole bunch of games, but the best one would have to be my last one. It was 8/8/04 with the game tied at 2 in the bottom of the ninth. Konerko leads off the inning with a single to center I believe, Timo Perez pinch runs, and the next two batters get out. Then Big Ben Davis comes up and hits a gapper to right center and TIMO'S COMIN HOME! C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, here the play at the plaaaate!!! SAAAFFE!!!! YYYYEEESSS!!! Good times good times. Anybody have a sound clip from that game? If so please please post. thanks!

I want Mags back
01-19-2005, 10:00 PM
My 2 favorite games Ive been to our.

Vs Cubs the year we had David Wells. He had a terrible start giving up 2 runs with 2 bunt singles, before being pulled making no outs. I believe it was Sean Lowe, who came on and thru 7 innings of amazing ball. The Sox came back to make it 3-3, where in the bottom of the 10th, 2 outs 3-2 count and bases loaded, Carlos Lee hits the game winning Walk-Off Grand Slam. That place went nuts. Iwas in the 2nd to last row of the UD.

2nd favorite
Aug. 18 2003 vs. Angels (my birthday)
The team formerly just Anaheim took a no hitter into the 7th. They were up 2-0. Roberto Alomar gets our first hit, and then Thomas smacked a 2 run shot to left to tie it. It was 2-2 until the bottom 9th, when Thomas hit another 2 run shot to left to win it 4-2. It was amazing

Nick@Nite
01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, I haven't been to a whole bunch of games, but the best one would have to be my last one. It was 8/8/04 with the game tied at 2 in the bottom of the ninth. Konerko leads off the inning with a single to center I believe, Timo Perez pinch runs, and the next two batters get out. Then Big Ben Davis comes up and hits a gapper to right center and TIMO'S COMIN HOME! C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, C'MON TIMO, here the play at the plaaaate!!! SAAAFFE!!!! YYYYEEESSS!!! Good times good times. Anybody have a sound clip from that game? If so please please post. thanks!

Now I remember... MLB.TV had the Cleveland feed, even though the game was at the Cell. Timo scoring, but Indians announcer with the call - thanks MLB (<-teal) (mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2004/open/topplays/archive08/080804_clecha_perez_score_350.wmv?ct1=mlb)

JUribe1989
01-19-2005, 10:40 PM
I have looked all over the internet for the C'mon Timo clip. I was at that game as well and I taped the Hawk call when it came on sportscenter but it came out very fuzzy sound. For some reason there aren't many WCIU clips available on the internet. MLB.com doesn't show them as condensed games of anything. They only have one game from WCIU on MLB and its in Toronto against the Jays this year. If anyone had any of the following game video or audio calls, it would be unbelievable if you posted them.
Anyone have these Hawk calls?
6/22 Valentin Walkoff
7/24 Crede's Walkoff
8/8 C'mon Timo
Anybody have those?

nebraskasox
01-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty new to WSI myself, but nonetheless: :welcome:

Thanks - I'm getting excited about this season with all the winter moves. Hope (and disappointment) springs eternal for Sox fans.

nebraskasox
01-20-2005, 11:25 AM
NIce first pos and welcome aboard!!! A few years ago I got the paper out on microfilm at the lib nd looked this game up. Leyland was quoted as saying it looked like a golfball. Rudy Law almost hit one out down the rightfield line. You wouldn't happen to have doubles of that icture wouldyou. I would love to get it blown up. I would consider buying it off of you...what a firstSox game to attend.

Thanks. I tried the attach file option of a scanned image of the picture. It's a bit blurred since it was taken from a distance with a zoom lens so small movements are magnified. If this doesn't work, I'll try another method of posting the picture.

mike squires
01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Awesome pic. Do you have anymore taken of that day? Beig only 10 I left the camera at home.:(: I have a few of Old Comiskey but looking backI don't have near enough I would have liked. I have zero of the outside of the park. Other meores of that day was standing by the players enterence (parking lot) and seeng Tom P. and Carlton Fisk parking their car. I said hi to Carlton nd he turned around and waived. He had on one of his usual blue "hawaii" shirts on...I got Rich Gedman to sign my program that I still have. I was down the right field line trying to snag foul balls and here comes Harold walking wth 2 Sox security guards. I extended my program but I guess he had to do other things. He disapeard behind the right field wall and I never saw him come back out. Again, if you have negatives of that pic I would e ver interested in trading or buying it off of you. PM me if you are ierested. I would love to see it framed in my offce Thanks, MIke

Norberto7
01-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm impressed by the memories that some of you have on this board. You remember details from games fifty years ago, and I don't remember what I had for lunch on Tuesday.

Two of the games that I went to this year were especially sweet, but I don't remember details. One of them was against the Royals, where Joe Crede hit a couple of bombs in the late innings, including the game winner about 20' away from where I was jumping around. I think they scored like 6 runs in the last couple innings.

The other one is far more fuzzy...I don't even remember who they played, but they won it on a broken bat grounder to short. I think it was Borchard and Rowand involved, I don't even remember who was batting and running...I want to say Borchard was on second. Rowand breaks his bat, barely beats it out. The whole stadium is watching the play at first, and as soon as everyone is all excited about the play at first, they slowly notice Borchard making a break for home...the excitement level goes nuts when he beats the throw and wins the game. Plus I moved way down for the end to, it was cool being on top of it all. Feel free to correct me if I screwed it up, I probably did!

mike squires
01-21-2005, 12:06 AM
I think one remembers his first game the most or (favorite) I started going to more games per season in the mid 90's so they kind of start blending together and forget all the details. There was a time I could tell you which pitcher started the game for both teams, who went deep etc.etc...Now I couldn't tell you the score the week after. I think getting older and having more responsibilities has a factor also...

santo=dorf
01-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm impressed by the memories that some of you have on this board. You remember details from games fifty years ago, and I don't remember what I had for lunch on Tuesday.

Two of the games that I went to this year were especially sweet, but I don't remember details. One of them was against the Royals, where Joe Crede hit a couple of bombs in the late innings, including the game winner about 20' away from where I was jumping around. I think they scored like 6 runs in the last couple innings.

The other one is far more fuzzy...I don't even remember who they played, but they won it on a broken bat grounder to short. I think it was Borchard and Rowand involved, I don't even remember who was batting and running...I want to say Borchard was on second. Rowand breaks his bat, barely beats it out. The whole stadium is watching the play at first, and as soon as everyone is all excited about the play at first, they slowly notice Borchard making a break for home...the excitement level goes nuts when he beats the throw and wins the game. Plus I moved way down for the end to, it was cool being on top of it all. Feel free to correct me if I screwed it up, I probably did!

I remember that finish. Click on "plays of the game" (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/daily.jsp?ymd=20040918)for the highlights.

nccwsfan
01-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I think one remembers his first game the most or (favorite) I started going to more games per season in the mid 90's so they kind of start blending together and forget all the details. There was a time I could tell you which pitcher started the game for both teams, who went deep etc.etc...Now I couldn't tell you the score the week after. I think getting older and having more responsibilities has a factor also...

So true- I remember a game in July 1985 where Tom Seaver and Bert Blyleven BOTH threw a complete game. White Sox won 1-0 on a Carlton Fisk HR (that was the year he finished with 37 homers), and I can say with near certainty that I'll never see a pitcher's duel like that again.

I can't say that I can do that as well anymore....vague memories at best, but those old Comiskey games seem to stick in the head a little bit better.

JGarlandrules20
01-21-2005, 12:06 PM

I was at the game... one of the most exciting I've been to. The fact that there was 4 2-run homeruns in one inning was crazy. I thought for sure the game was over after Cotts had given up 4 runs.
The sox were pretty much out of contention by this time but it was good to see a game where they showed some heart.

tacosalbarojas
01-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Great stuff here. There are so many great games, it is hard to choose. The final game in Old Comiskey is probably one that will stay with me the longest. I still miss the old homeland. For pure energy and excitement though, two games stand out for me from the 2000 season. 1) The Monday night sellout against the Tribe after we came back from that 7-0 road trip in June. Great thing about that night is that it was so spur-of-the-moment. That happens for us so rarely - sold out that afternoon as I recall and the standing "o" as the guys took the field that night - wow...true goosebumps. 2) A Saturday night game in August against Oakland which is probably unremarkable in the pantheon of great games that 2000 team strung together that season, but again just the energy in my section that night was incredible. This is the game where Isringhausen balked in Singleton who had just previously stolen third. That tied the game, then Frank won it with a double to the base of the wall in left that just barely (wink, wink) scored Jose. We went bonkers! Man, that season was so much fun...never will forget it, not for the rest of my live long days.

DannyCaterFan
01-21-2005, 02:27 PM
September 17th, 1983 has to be number one on my list of favorite games. That was the night the Sox clinched the Western Division championship. The game itself was not that special, but I'll always remember that moment when Harold Baines hit a sac fly to center field scoring Julio Cruz in the bottom of the ninth. I had waited 23 years at that point for a first place finish and the exhilaration of that moment was indescribable as we charged the playing field. Still waiting for a home playoff win, or even an American League championship, or dare I say a World Championship.

Brian26
01-21-2005, 02:42 PM
2) A Saturday night game in August against Oakland which is probably unremarkable in the pantheon of great games that 2000 team strung together that season, but again just the energy in my section that night was incredible. This is the game where Isringhausen balked in Singleton who had just previously stolen third. That tied the game, then Frank won it with a double to the base of the wall in left that just barely (wink, wink) scored Jose.

Totally remember that game...

One of the greatest slides ever. Jose popped up after the slide and did the "safe" thing with his hands and then collapsed backwards to the ground in an animated, slow fall. Awesome.

jackbrohamer
01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
1. Game against Detroit in 2000 with all the fights

2. Turn-back-the-clock day in 1990 (turned it back to 1917, no loudspeakers & a guy with a megaphone on the field, IIRC tickets were like $1.00)

3. Game I think in July 1987, Sox sucked and were down like 6 runs in the 9th, Gary Redus hit a Grand Slam (I think a walk-off) and they came back to win it. I'm getting old and can't remember more details but it was about the most exciting game I've seen; (anyone remember more details?)

I also liked the game in 2001 when Royce Clayton got a hit to get his BA above .100 and fans started chanting "MVP MVP." Bad game but pretty damn funny

chisoxmike
01-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Yeah was September 18, 2004 vs the Tigers. Remember Borchard hit a 2-run homer in the 10th, and then Rowand hit a two-run homer to tie the game in the 10th. The Tigers scored 4 runes in the 10th to take a lead, then the Sox came back with 4 in their half.

The game was settled in the 12th with the Sox winning 9-8.

I was at that game, I remember A row of Tiger fans dancing and cheering and being flat out annoying that night after the Tigers took the lead in the 10th. I, and some other SOX fans got all over them when Rowand hit the tying home run.

BridgePortNative
01-21-2005, 08:49 PM
That was a fun game to attend. I remember Buehrle gave up a bunch of runs at the beginning of the game but the sox did mount a come back. Unfortunately, the pen continued to give up runs and the sox lost. The rain delay was pretty enjoyable as well. I "upgraded" to upper deck seats under the roof during the rain delay. The game didn't end until around midnight, and it was a school night for me as well. :D:
I also seemed to "upgrade" in seats, from upper to lower deck seats. :redneck

mike squires
01-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Great stuff here. There are so many great games, it is hard to choose. The final game in Old Comiskey is probably one that will stay with me the longest. I still miss the old homeland. For pure energy and excitement though, two games stand out for me from the 2000 season. 1) The Monday night sellout against the Tribe after we came back from that 7-0 road trip in June. Great thing about that night is that it was so spur-of-the-moment. That happens for us so rarely - sold out that afternoon as I recall and the standing "o" as the guys took the field that night - wow...true goosebumps. 2) A Saturday night game in August against Oakland which is probably unremarkable in the pantheon of great games that 2000 team strung together that season, but again just the energy in my section that night was incredible. This is the game where Isringhausen balked in Singleton who had just previously stolen third. That tied the game, then Frank won it with a double to the base of the wall in left that just barely (wink, wink) scored Jose. We went bonkers! Man, that season was so much fun...never will forget it, not for the rest of my live long days.

I really wish I could have attended that last game. There were a few plays that changed that game totally around. Calderon making a stab at a ball that was tailing away from him in left, Fisk pouncing on a buntd ball and throwing to second for an out but they just missed turning the DP...they got the lead man nonetheless, and someone tried to stretch a double into a triple but a perfect relay throw from Ozzie gunned him down at third. Thaty may be the last all around solid fundamental teams the Sox have had for awhile. Good pitching, decent defense and clutch hitting.

I went to the 5th to last game at the old park against Boston. Went with my uncle and cousin. He was one of those that left the game early. In this case it was in the ninth. Boston ended up loading the bases but they lined one back at Thiggy. I've silently never forgiven my uncle for that. But then again, he's never apologized either.

JUribe1989
01-21-2005, 11:17 PM
9/21/04 It was the day after we were officially eliminated from the division. Paul-ee hit his 40th homer and the people who were there went nuts. There were Twins fans who were incredibly annoying by us. I said to one of them "How come there are more of you guys here this week than have been at your games all year at the Baggy?" I also made mention of how they would just get kicked out of the playoffs in the first round. And guess who was right. Juan Uribe hit a pinch hit grand slam in the 7th to take the lead 8-6. The Gong Song played when Shingo came out and got the save. Gardenhire got in a pointless fight and was booed incredibly.

BigEdWalsh
01-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Boy, it's hard to pick a favorite when there's been so many. But after a lot of thought I decided it had to be Thursday night, Sept. 15th, 1983. I had predicted that would be the clincher and well, it turned out I was wrong by a couple of days but that was a magical night and a special one to witness.
The Sox played the Mariners. The game was held up for what seemed like hours due to rain. There was a huge crowd of at least 30,000 and the atmosphere was electric.I'll never forget the rain pouring down, all these thousands of people sitting there waiting and hoping that the game would still be played and Nancy Faust playing "Run Around Sue", the whole huge crowd singing along in the rain. It was so cool.
Finally, the game started. Hoyt pitched for the Sox and was nearly unhittable. The Bull homered for a 1-0 lead in about the 3rd inning. In the Sox half of the 6th, they exploded for 11 runs, I think Baines hit a grand slam. At about 12:30am they called the game due to rain. Final Sox 12 - Mariners 0.
A great night. On the way out of the park, I bought my Winnin' Ugly shirt that I still have. Though now it fits my kids, not me.

tacosalbarojas
01-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I really wish I could have attended that last game. There were a few plays that changed that game totally around. Calderon making a stab at a ball that was tailing away from him in left, Fisk pouncing on a buntd ball and throwing to second for an out but they just missed turning the DP...they got the lead man nonetheless, and someone tried to stretch a double into a triple but a perfect relay throw from Ozzie gunned him down at third. Thaty may be the last all around solid fundamental teams the Sox have had for awhile. Good pitching, decent defense and clutch hitting.

He was one of those that left the game early. In this case it was in the ninth. Boston ended up loading the bases but they lined one back at Thiggy. I've silently never forgiven my uncle for that. But then again, he's never apologized either.

As for that last game, man I was so fortunate to be able to attend that game. Only through my mom's co-worker's husband who gave us two of his season tickets behind the first base dugout for that game was I blessed to be able to go. I still remind him of how much that meant to me.

I hate people who leave the game early! Tell your uncle "tacos" says to apologize! Better yet, tell him my throwback Mike Squires jersey says to apologize!

cubhater77
01-26-2005, 02:10 AM
best game i went to was in 97 when we beat the flubs. second game of a 3 game set. tho we lost, my second fav was in 91 when thiggy drilled steinbach and the benches cleared. i was 14, and it was during the time da bulls were playing magic and co. for the title. 42,000 of us chanting oakland sucks! i remember larussa hurling a bat towards the stands. then there was the last home game in 88 vs kc, a come from behind win. my cousin n i had golden box seats behind the sox dugout. ozzie kept teasing us by offering a bat to us and pulling it back every time we reached for it, lol.