PDA

View Full Version : No one has signed Mags yet. You think the Soxs...

Dice
01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
...nah! It was a good though.

Hated to see him go but buisness is buisness I guess.

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
...nah! It was a good though.

Hated to see him go but buisness is buisness I guess.

You know ......... Wouldnt it be something if the SOX signed him
to start playing May 1st, to a heavily incentive-laden contract.
Talk about good feelings all around ...........If hes healthy and produces,
Good for us. If he doesnt recover, we dont lose too much.
Its something I think Kenny and Uncle Jerry should keep open .........
Jerry is very creative with contracts. I just know Maggs is going to
end up signing a deal where were going to say "Why didnt we just do that?"

rdivaldi
01-18-2005, 05:29 PM
I just know Maggs is going to

But we all know the answer to that question.

:borass:

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Somebody will sign him long before that with the same incentive based contract you spoke of. Orioles and Cubs are the likely suckers in the deal. The Cubs proved today they want people with no physical ability to play

Kadafi311
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, Maggs was a great bat for us and I certainly enjoyed his years here... but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the weenie Ozzie was talking about. Maggs showed about as much emotion as a pet rock.

This team needs a winning attitude.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Somebody will sign him long before that with the same incentive based contract you spoke of. Orioles and Cubs are the likely suckers in the deal. The Cubs proved today they want people with no physical ability to playMethinks he'll take almost any deal rather than come back to the Sox with his tail between his legs.

FightingBillini
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM

The Sox wouldn't take him back. He was replaced, we don't have room for him. We already have a RF. Besides, any "incentive laden" deal is going to have a base salary of at least $5mil. That is too much money to just throw away on the hopes that he will be healthy and produce like he used to. He most likely wont do either.

maurice
01-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Talk of Maggs (or anybody else of any consequence) signing with the cubs is nothing but BS generated by the blue-coolaid-drinking Chicago media. Hendry has repeatedly confirmed that, despite the cubs' recent salary-dumping, they lack the "cap space" to make major acquisitions without moving Sosa. Today, even Kiley (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub18.html) was forced to acknowledge this fact:
As for free-agent outfielder Magglio Ordonez, the Cubs will consider him only if Sosa is traded and they don't get an outfielder in exchange. They haven't even investigated Ordonez's physical status with his troublesome knee.
I'm sure the cubfest crowd and the associated media coverage will be very negative this year.

NSSoxFan
01-18-2005, 05:50 PM
No way Magglio signs with the Sox on May 1. Everyone in MLB knows that he is damaged goods right now, no matter if he is healthy. He will get a contract, but it will be full of incentives. On top of that, if Magglio has a down year, he will regret ever hiring Boras.

idseer
01-18-2005, 06:15 PM

no! he's worn out his welcome here. if we did that and he DID produce ... you think he'd stay after that? i think he'd go for the highest bidder all over again.
fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

HoustonAstros967
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, Maggs was a great bat for us and I certainly enjoyed his years here... but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the weenie Ozzie was talking about. Maggs showed about as much emotion as a pet rock.

This team needs a winning attitude.

Team chemistry is what the Sox really need to help push them over the edge and I think now that hes gone they have that.

SaltyPretzel
01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Team chemistry is what the Sox really need to help push them over the edge and I think now that hes gone they have that.

Exactly, I'd rather have a right fielder who wants to be here.

Dadawg_77
01-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Exactly, I'd rather have a right fielder who wants to be here.

I rather have an outfielder that can produce.

Flight #24
01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
no! he's worn out his welcome here. if we did that and he DID produce ... you think he'd stay after that? i think he'd go for the highest bidder all over again.
fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

No doubt, but if you can get him cheap, that could be a powerful midseason addition (I doubt he'll play much before then). Plus, getting him at a cheap deal means that you can offer him arb and he'll decline, so you get the comp picks.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Magglio might be a Met, Oriole, or even an Astro by the end of the week.

Staying on the topic, anyone listen to the Mike Murphy Show last night? If you did, did you happen to catch his contract offer that he thinks Jim Hendry should give to Magglio Ordonez?

Listen to this;
Sign Maggz to a 4-month contract (April, May June, July). Gurantee him $4,000,000. Add some reachable marks in the deal such as, "10 home runs", "40 RBIs", and "250 plate appearances". If he hits all those marks, than another 4-month contract kicks in for the 2nd half of the season at $8,000,000.

Quite frankly, I didn't and still don't know how to react to that. But it's so obvious Murph is just depressed and desperate hoping Hendry makes some sort of move that he's trying to do his job for him. Great work Murph. I'm sure 4-month contracts are the new hip thing in baseball.

Tekijawa
01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
The Cubs proved today they want people with no physical ability to play

Actually they've done this for much longer than just today!

Fredsox
01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I don't see a National League team taking a chance on him. At least in the AL if his knee is not fully healed he could DH and still earn his keep. If the Drubs took him he might be an awfully expensive pinch-hitter. I like the guy, but I don't think he's in a good postion right now.

SoxSpeed22
01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
The only thing that would make sense is if a team signs him for a long deal, but pays very low for the first year.

Nick@Nite
01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
If Maggs signs with the Sox after all that has happened, I'll shave my head bald. But if I do shave my head bald, do I keep my mustache and beard?

rdivaldi
01-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Staying on the topic, anyone listen to the Mike Murphy Show last night? If you did, did you happen to catch his contract offer that he thinks Jim Hendry should give to Magglio Ordonez?

I heard that trash, what an idiot. How can any sports fan listen to MIke Murphy, he relates everything back to his beloved Flubbies. The Score is rapidly declining compared to ESPN1000, it's time they got rid of the buffoons that pollute my commute to and from work every day (North and Murphy).

Rocklive99
01-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Did anyone here the ESPN1000 update today, they said something about Maggs still not being ready or being setback again. And Boras said he'd be ready to play if they started ST back in Oct...

Paulwny
01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=WhiteSoxFan84]
Listen to this;
Sign Maggz to a 4-month contract (April, May June, July). Gurantee him $4,000,000. Add some reachable marks in the deal such as, "10 home runs", "40 RBIs", and "250 plate appearances". If he hits all those marks, than another 4-month contract kicks in for the 2nd half of the season at $8,000,000.

QUOTE]

Offensive stat incentives cannot be part of a ml contract, ab's, games played, all star, gold glove, etc are allowed.

chaz171
01-21-2005, 03:12 PM
How many American League Teams Need Broken, Right Handed hitting, $70,000,000 twenty eight year old Designated Hitters?

chaz171
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
[/QUOTE]Offensive stat incentives cannot be part of a ml contract, ab's, games played, all star, gold glove, etc are allowed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
Unlike in football, the union will not allow offensive incentives
Unlike in Basketball, you cannot do 4 month deals (i.e 10-day contracts)
Unlike in poker, you can't play without both knees.