PDA

View Full Version : Indians Ink Cora

Uribe=MVP
01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
The Indians signed Alex Cora to a 2-year deal today. I personally think Cora would have fit well on the Sox, being that he is a left-handed bat to come of the bench and can play both 2B and SS. Although I may be biased after watching his ridiculously long at-bat which ended in a home run off of Clement last season.

Anyone think this was a missed opportunity?

NSSoxFan
01-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Bleh. Who cares, we didn't need him IMO. By the way, post stories like this in Talking Baseball.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
The Indians signed Alex Cora to a 2-year deal today. I personally think Cora would have fit well on the Sox, being that he is a left-handed bat to come of the bench and can play both 2B and SS. Although I may be biased after watching his ridiculously long at-bat which ended in a home run off of Clement last season.

Anyone think this was a missed opportunity?I thought he would have been a good signing for a utility IF. I haven't seen any dollars disclosed.

Foulke You
01-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I was never that convinced that Cora is a significant upgrade over Willie Harris. I think it is kind've a wash. I'd hate to commit a lot of money to a guy who is only going to be marginally better. I'd rather see KW keep his pennies in the piggy bank, and if Willie is still a weakness by May or June, look to upgrade the team at 2B through a trade.

BTW, where exactly are the Indians going to play Cora? Aren't Belliard and Perraulta their starting 2B and SS? Just a bench guy perhaps?

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 06:23 PM
I was never that convinced that Cora is a significant upgrade over Willie Harris. I think it is kind've a wash. I'd hate to commit a lot of money to a guy who is only going to be marginally better.I agree. But is he an upgrade over Wilson Valdez? I haven't seen any numbers either, but for $1M or so I'd take him for a utility IF and as insurance against someone not producing.
I'd rather see KW keep his pennies in the piggy bank, and if Willie is still a weakness by May or June, look to upgrade the team at 2B through a trade.I don't even want to go there.

Foulke You
01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I agree. But is he an upgrade over Wilson Valdez? I haven't seen any numbers either, but for $1M or so I'd take him for a utility IF and as insurance against someone not producing.
I don't even want to go there.

True...I forgot about Wilson "I belong in AA" Valdez. I guess I was only thinking of Cora from a starting 2B perspective. Hopefully, someone in our organization will step up in Spring Training and challenge Wilson Valdez for that reserve role. We're way overdue for an infield talent to come out of our organization.:(:

Ol' No. 2
01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
True...I forgot about Wilson "I belong in AA" Valdez. I guess I was only thinking of Cora from a starting 2B perspective. Hopefully, someone in our organization will step up in Spring Training and challenge Wilson Valdez for that reserve role. We're way overdue for an infield talent to come out of our organization.:(:Wilson Valdez has 43 major league AB. I wouldn't be too confident projecting from that sample size. He'll get a good look in ST. Was Lopez the other guy Kenny mentioned as a candidate?

chaz171
01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Ah Yes, But quoting another Rumor mill, We'll have Iguchi starting at 2nd base. A little voice told me to talk to my tarot card reader who's astrologist said that her sister will verify that we will sign Iguchi.