PDA

View Full Version : Fanball ST preview: White Sox

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 11:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-springtrainingprevie&prov=fanball&type=lgns

I agree!

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 12:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-springtrainingprevie&prov=fanball&type=lgns

I agree!Except if he thinks Joe B. is going to make the team, he's been out to lunch. I'm looking forward to see what Escobar can do in ST. He's got a good shot at making the team.

voodoochile
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't understand the slams at Frank either. If Frank comes back healthy and Everett is killing the ball then Everett can go to left and Rowand or Pods (whoever is playing better) can stay in CF. No way they keep Frank on the bench when he is healthy.

jackbrohamer
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not a Crede fan but I don't think it's fair to call him a "perrenial disappointment" just yet

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm not a Crede fan but I don't think it's fair to call him a "perrenial disappointment" just yet

I think it's pretty fair. Has he or has he not disappointed us every year since he's been up here? At least offensively

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I think it's pretty fair. Has he or has he not disappointed us every year since he's been up here? At least offensivelyI would say 2004 was the only year you could characterize as a disappointment. Unless you expected him to come up and hit .310 with 30 HR right away.

SOXintheBURGH
01-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Gload, Valdez, AND Borchard on the bench? Guh?

SoxFan76
01-18-2005, 01:29 PM

I see no problem in having Gload on the bench....as long as he doesn't play the outfield anymore. :o:

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 01:29 PM

It could be worse, we could have Sosa, Patterson and Hollandsworth as our starting OF?!?!?

SOXintheBURGH
01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
It could be worse, we could have Sosa, Patterson and Hollandsworth as our starting OF?!?!?

LOL Good point.

mweflen
01-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Overall it's a fair assessment - Frank is petulant, but I don't know if you can go so far as to say he characterizes ALL of the Sox' problems is an exaggeration.

Crede was a mild disappointment last year, and it's true, the label "perrennial disappointment" is a little bit early. This is his make or break year, IMHO.

The rotation is stronger than it's been in years. Even a decade?

The appraisal of Borchard being on the bench obviously comes from a writer who has not had to suffer through 3 months of watching him play (like most of us.)

JUribe1989
01-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I hope to see much more of Wilson Valdez this year.

Irishsox1
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Joe is a "perrenial disappointment" to Fanball.com, which is for fantasy baseball players. But as a Sox fan, Joe has been a disappointment. His long, looping swing is very annoying and he has a knack for making critical errors in crucial games. However, don't be surprised if he has a great season this year. Crede is a free-agent after this year and his agent is Scott Boras. Boras puts a lot of pressure on his clients to perform during free agent year.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Boras puts a lot of pressure on his clients to perform during free agent year.How does he put pressure on them? What does he do, send them a postcard saying "Do good this year"? If that's all it takes, I'll send them all a postcard.

MisterB
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Joe is a "perrenial disappointment" to Fanball.com, which is for fantasy baseball players. But as a Sox fan, Joe has been a disappointment. His long, looping swing is very annoying and he has a knack for making critical errors in crucial games. However, don't be surprised if he has a great season this year. Crede is a free-agent after this year and his agent is Scott Boras. Boras puts a lot of pressure on his clients to perform during free agent year.

Crede is arbitration eligible next year, NOT free-agent eligible.

Jerome
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
I hope to see much more of Wilson Valdez this year.

Isn't Valdez pretty much the same thing as Willie Harris? I don't have the stats but aren't they similar?

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
How does he put pressure on them? What does he do, send them a postcard saying "Do good this year"? If that's all it takes, I'll send them all a postcard.

He sends skinny second basemen to break knees of those Clients that are not performing!

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Isn't Valdez pretty much the same thing as Willie Harris? I don't have the stats but aren't they similar?Depends. How confidant are you projecting from 43 career AB?

Mohoney
01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Assuming no other signings/trades, I don't see how Borchard makes the team.

Pitchers (11, possibly 12)
Buehrle, Garcia, El Duque, Contreras, Garland

Cotts, Politte, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Marte, Shingo, (possibly a 12th from among Adkins, Grilli, Munoz, Diaz, Walker, Jenks, etc.)

Catchers (2)
Pierzynski, Davis

Infielders (6)
Konerko, Harris, Uribe, Crede, Gload, Valdez

Outfielders (5)
Rowand, Dye, Podsednik, Timo, Everett (I think he's going to definitely play some outfield this season, how much I don't know)

If there are only 11 pitchers carried, then there is room for a 12th position player, but I can't see how it would be Borchard. Maybe he gets one last chance here in a reserve role before Frank gets back?

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Assuming no other signings/trades, I don't see how Borchard makes the team.Kenny said as much when asked about him on Saturday.

Mohoney
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Kenny said as much when asked about him on Saturday.

Really? Does this mean that they're officially done with him, or is he going back to Charlotte again?

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Really? Does this mean that they're officially done with him, or is he going back to Charlotte again?Back to Charlotte. They've got a big investment they're protecting. It costs them basically nothing to keep him there on the off chance he figures it out.

Irishsox1
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
How does he put pressure on them? What does he do, send them a postcard saying "Do good this year"? If that's all it takes, I'll send them all a postcard.

Pressure not in a Godfather way, where Joe wakes up and Poppy Hidalgo's head is cut off and thrown in his bed, but before the year free-agent year starts he will sit down with his client and project their numbers and what they will get on the market. He will also talk about the salary the player could be receiving if they were to hit certain numbers during that year. This is one of the reasons why Adrian Beltre played hurt all year this year, yet every year prior to that he was often on the DL. Slight pressure.

Also, I thought he was a free-agent after this year, I was wrong, arbitration after this year. There is no decent website where you can see a players contract and when it expires and bonus info.

voodoochile
01-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Pressure not in a Godfather way, where Joe wakes up and Poppy Hidalgo's head is cut off and thrown in his bed, but before the year free-agent year starts he will sit down with his client and project their numbers and what they will get on the market. He will also talk about the salary the player could be receiving if they were to hit certain numbers during that year. This is one of the reasons why Adrian Beltre played hurt all year this year, yet every year prior to that he was often on the DL. Slight pressure.

Also, I thought he was a free-agent after this year, I was wrong, arbitration after this year. There is no decent website where you can see a players contract and when it expires and bonus info.

This one isn't bad...

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_09_21_dugoutdollars_archive.html

It doesn't seem to load well in Firefox. You may have to use IE.

MRKARNO
01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Assuming no other signings/trades, I don't see how Borchard makes the team.

Anyone who thinks he will make the team doesnt know the team well enough to make an informed comment.

nccwsfan
01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Anyone who thinks he will make the team doesnt know the team well enough to make an informed comment.

Does anyone on this board know how many options the White Sox have remaining with Joe Borchard? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a player have a finite number of times that a major league player can be sent to the minors before they must be given waivers? Obviously I don't have a good grasp of this rule (if it even is a rule) so if anyone knows please post it here. Thanks....

MisterB
01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Does anyone on this board know how many options the White Sox have remaining with Joe Borchard? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a player have a finite number of times that a major league player can be sent to the minors before they must be given waivers? Obviously I don't have a good grasp of this rule (if it even is a rule) so if anyone knows please post it here. Thanks....

Once a player is placed on the active (25-man) roster, he may be given an 'optional assignment' to the minors during 3 different seasons before waivers are required to make the assignment. Borchard has been optioned to the minors in 2 different years so far (one more available).

Ol' No. 2
01-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Also, I thought he was a free-agent after this year, I was wrong, arbitration after this year. There is no decent website where you can see a players contract and when it expires and bonus info.So if I can paraphrase that, he tells them if he has a good year he'll make more money?:o:

Dadawg_77
01-19-2005, 10:37 AM
So if I can paraphrase that, he tells them if he has a good year he'll make more money?:o:

Yep, as seen in Carl Pavno and Jared Wright, Beltre among other this off season.

Ol' No. 2
01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Yep, as seen in Carl Pavno and Jared Wright, Beltre among other this off season.They may have had a career year, but I don't think they needed Boras to tell them that if they had a good year they'd make more money.

SoxFanTillDeath
01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
A good year for Borchard is his having less strikeouts than games played. If he's coming off the bench he better make contact a whole lot more often.