PDA

View Full Version : Dye Complaints

champagne030
01-18-2005, 05:58 AM
I saw some complaints about Dye not signing the sweet spot. Well, you should consider yourself lucky to get his autograph this past weekend. He was originally not scheduled to be at SoxFest because his wife was due to deliver their second child on Saturday. She ending up delivering earlier in the week and called KW to come to the Fest. KW told him to be with his family, but he insisted that he should be with his new teammates. Cut the guy some slack....see page two of today's Cubune.....

Realist
01-18-2005, 06:12 AM
I don't give a flying rat's ass if ever signs a "sweet spot" ever again in his life. As long as he can hit it with a bat... I'm happy.

To me the autograph hounds are just like the stat freakazoids. They very little in common with the baseball that I love.

davenicholson
01-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't give a flying rat's ass if ever signs a "sweet spot" ever again in his life. As long as he can hit it with a bat... I'm happy.

To me the autograph hounds are just like the stat freakazoids. They very little in common with the baseball that I love.
Amen, brother.

OurBitchinMinny
01-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Agree 100%

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Well, I'm a bit of an autograph hound. I have quite a collection. However, I don't stand in the lines or wait around in the hotel lobby. If I run into the guy an it is a moment that doesn't seem to put him "out" (for instance I saw Rowand twice before I got him to sign a bat of his that I bought...he was busy and I didn't want to interupt). For me, it's a memory of the moment. I could easily decorate a room (and someday will) with the Sox stuff I have collected since 1983. I never, ever will sell the stuff either. Nor will I buy an autograph if I didn't get it. BTW...I didn't get Dye's autograph this weekend (no complaints, though). Congrats to Mr. Dye on the birth of his child.

I like collecting baseball memoribilia. I hope that doesn't make me less of a fan in anyone's eyes, because I'm willing to bet that I love this sport as much as anyone here.

Sad
01-18-2005, 08:35 AM
yeah there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it

some people are just plain stoopid about autographs...

01-18-2005, 08:35 AM
From a non autograph hound, what is the "sweet spot"? Now I now the other def of the sweet spot in the other term....are you talking about the spot on the bat?

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 08:42 AM
From a non autograph hound, what is the "sweet spot"? Now I now the other def of the sweet spot in the other term....are you talking about the spot on the bat?

A spot on the ball:

http://www.tracercode.com/store/ProdImages/Baseball_MarichalBB.jpg

SEALgep
01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Maybe I was lucky, but Dye signed the sweet spot of my ball. I was going to ask him to, but I had also heard he won't do it. I don't know, maybe he forgot he doesn't, with my ball?

SOXintheBURGH
01-18-2005, 08:51 AM
What is Jermaine Dye on a supposed crusade against signing sweet spots?

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
A spot on the ball:

NICE JUDY WAIULOP Autograph!

Who's Signature is that?

Jerko
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
It looks like Juan something or other or Jerry Manuelop.

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 09:12 AM
NICE JUDY WAIULOP Autograph!

Who's Signature is that?

No idea. I picked it up on the internet. I don't have any of my balls on the information superhighway. :o: :wink:

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
The sweet spot is preferred because there's no writing, and it looks better when displayed. That's due to the stiching being paralel, almost framing the auto.
Gene

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
No idea. I picked it up on the internet. I don't have any of my balls on the information superhighway. :o: :wink:
zing!

Gene

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Joey belle?

Gene

Nah. It is Juan Marichal.

Jerko
01-18-2005, 09:14 AM

Me neither. :supernana:

Mots09
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
I saw Dye on the escalator at 3am heading up to his room on Saturday night. He was with a few other people, and some kids saw him walk in from the outdoors. They immediately jumped up and asked him to sign, but he refused. I thought that was kind of weak but as everyone has said as long as he hits .290 or so I will be happy.

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM

Totally agree!! Furthermore, if you want a guy's autograph because you really like the player, then you won't care where he signs it. People who want a player to sign the "sweet spot" are only thinking of selling the ball for a quick buck, IMO.

Nick@Nite
01-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I saw Dye on the escalator at 3am heading up to his room on Saturday night. He was with a few other people, and some kids saw him walk in from the outdoors. They immediately jumped up and asked him to sign, but he refused. I thought that was kind of weak but as everyone has said as long as he hits .290 or so I will be happy.

Maybe he had autograph-signer-fatigue? I'm in the non-autograph crowd... not my thing.

As for Dye, throw in 90+ rbi's with that .290 average... that would be good. :smile:

ssviland
01-18-2005, 09:40 AM
As someone who hasn't had an autograph signed in more than 20 years, I agree that as long as Dye drives in runs who cares what kind of auto he signs?

BUT, what's wrong with stat freekazoids? I have been one of these for nearly 30 years and so what! Does it make me less of a baseball fan because I know who first hit 30 homers for the Sox, or which Sox led the league in batting? Stats are part of the game and I like it.

I agree that a lot of Rickey Henderson's steals are meaningless, and that recent home runs milestones are tainted because of 'roids. Stats aren't everything, but they are fun. At my first games at Wrigley and Comiskey I learned tto keep score, and it was exciting! I still haven't figured out the best way to hold the scorecard and pen with my mitt on though.

I remember picking up journals like "Street & Smiths" and "Who's Who in Baseball" in the 70s. Hank Aaron was still playing, and it was incredible seeing him at the top of all of the all-time lists. He was a guy, like Michael Jordon, that everyone pulled for not because of his stats, because of his class. But who he was made it fun to watch his stats rise.

I like watching guys like Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens break records. Those guys worked hard and earned it, and played the game right.

So don't knock stat geeks. I don't like to point at someone and say they are not a "true baseball fan". Who am I to judge. I don't like going to a game and sitting next to someone who is on a cell phone or people who have no idea what the score is, let alone the game situation. But without them teams draw half as many fans, so God bless 'em. I just wish they would shut up while I'm sitting next to them.

Enjoy.

jabrch
01-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Personally, as long as he hits I don't care.

But if he is going to be there signing for fans, at a convention, why not sign the center of the ball? I just don't get it. What's the big deal? Is there a huge market for Jermaine Dye autographs?

Come on...

SEALgep
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Totally agree!! Furthermore, if you want a guy's autograph because you really like the player, then you won't care where he signs it. People who want a player to sign the "sweet spot" are only thinking of selling the ball for a quick buck, IMO.That's not true, some people prefer it to keep their collection uniform. I'll appreciate the autograph either way, but I prefer the sweet spot.

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Totally agree!! Furthermore, if you want a guy's autograph because you really like the player, then you won't care where he signs it. People who want a player to sign the "sweet spot" are only thinking of selling the ball for a quick buck, IMO.

I have lots of baseballs signed on the sweet spot (not my request...that's just where they signed it). Never sold one and I never will (especially my Frank Thomas foul ball that I caught and got signed).

Irishsoxfan
01-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Link http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/cp-app/prod/sports-memorabilia/SS-DYEJBAS000000

As you can see there is a market (or was anyhow). Perhaps he considers a fan fest a place for fans to get autographs for keepsakes and is not interested if it's going to be sold. As a guy who kept his word and signed for less money I guess it's just his principles.

mcfish
01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I saw Dye on the escalator at 3am heading up to his room on Saturday night. He was with a few other people, and some kids saw him walk in from the outdoors. They immediately jumped up and asked him to sign, but he refused. I thought that was kind of weak but as everyone has said as long as he hits .290 or so I will be happy.I think we're all missing the important question raised by this post: Why are kids out looking for Jermaine Dye's autograph at 3am?

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 10:14 AM

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to sign anything at 3am!!! I collect autographs never have and never will sell them, but there are lines that some people cross that shouldn't be crossed... I've seen 40 year old men push little kids out of the way, I've seen Dinner interupted by fans and cars chased down to get players signatures... I agree that there is some obligation on the players part to give autographs, but I think that there is an equal responcibilty to the people to respect the same person they have to get these signatures from. As Far as Signing on the Sweet spot goes, many players won't do that, Big Mac won't Sign on the Sweet spot, Babe Ruth rarely signed there... If you are truly collecting it for a keep sake it shouldn't matter where they sign it! I have a bunch of missigned balls and cards but I like them just as much as the ones that are perfect!

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Crede and Gload didn't sign on the sweet spot either. Sometimes they sign elsewhere thinking your going to have the whole team sign the ball and the sweet spot is usually reserved for the manager.

thepaulbowski
01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Crede and Gload didn't sign on the sweet spot either. Sometimes they sign elsewhere thinking your going to have the whole team sign the ball and the sweet spot is usually reserved for the manager.

It used to be that hardly any players would sign on the sweet spot because that was considered the managers spot.

Edit: Had Jaime Burke sign a ball for me and he ask where I want him to sign. I told him it was his ball and said "wow, I'm not used to signing in the sweet spot." I got a good laugh out of that.

thepaulbowski
01-18-2005, 10:38 AM

You have no clue what you are talking about. Just because I have a guy sign the sweet spot I'm looking to make a quick buck?!?! Please, I have over fifty baseballs & a ton of cards with autographs on them. The only ones I have departed with are ones I have given to friends that wanted them. It is called being a collector.

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 10:44 AM
I only have a couple of balls with a sig on the sweet spot. One is Frank Thomas (just because he's always been my favorite player and I'll never sell it) and the other is Loaiza (it's a ball with the 2003 ASG symbol on it). Other than that, I usually just go to Soxfest and get all my autographs on the same ball. Sometimes the very first guy that signs will put it right on the sweet spot (I think Valentin did) but it's not a big deal. This year Minnie Minuso did just because it was an open spot on the ball. :smile:

When I went to the private session with my brother-in-law, he asked Carl Everett to sign the sweet spot (the ball already had other sigs on it) and Carl asked "why me?". He told him that it was because he's going to be our big power guy hitting all the homeruns this year. Carl said something about not caring about homeruns, he just wanted to drive runs in.

Meeting Carl in the bar and seeing him interact with the fans at the private session made me realize that Carl is quite a character. He likes to joke around and have a good time. Seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse. :D:

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
When I went to the private session with my brother-in-law, he asked Carl Everett to sign the sweet spot (the ball already had other sigs on it) and Carl asked "why me?". He told him that it was because he's going to be our big power guy hitting all the homeruns this year. Carl said something about not caring about homeruns, he just wanted to drive runs in.

Meeting Carl in the bar and seeing him interact with the fans at the private session made me realize that Carl is quite a character. He likes to joke around and have a good time. Seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse. :D:

I agree. Carl was awesome. Joe Crede won me over, too. He's really working hard and I hope he does well this season.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 11:06 AM
You have no clue what you are talking about. Just because I have a guy sign the sweet spot I'm looking to make a quick buck?!?! Please, I have over fifty baseballs & a ton of cards with autographs on them. The only ones I have departed with are ones I have given to friends that wanted them. It is called being a collector.

Word.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm rooting for Dye as much as anyone else. Who the hell would want someone to fail and hurt our chances at winning the division because he wouldn't sign the sweet spot?

With that said...

Does anyone here have any idea how ridiculous it is for Dye to have one of the Soxfest organizers stand up 30 minutes after the autograph session began to remind everyone that Dye doesn't sign the sweet spot? ***. Give me a break. It's a fan fest. People paid $45 for the weekend ticket and $10 for a baseball. People are diehard Sox fans standing in line waiting for hours on end. Sign the ****ing ball any way the person politely requests.

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Whatever. If I like player X, I would be thrilled to have him sign a ball for me. The last thing in the world I would care about is where on the ball he chose to sign. He's already going out of his way to do something nice for a fan. I wouldn't push it by adding "oh by the way, can you sign it on the sweet spot?"

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm rooting for Dye as much as anyone else. Who the hell would want someone to fail and hurt our chances at winning the division because he wouldn't sign the sweet spot?

With that said...

Does anyone here have any idea how ridiculous it is for Dye to have one of the Soxfest organizers stand up 30 minutes after the autograph session began to remind everyone that Dye doesn't sign the sweet spot? ***. Give me a break. It's a fan fest. People paid $45 for the weekend ticket and $10 for a baseball. People are diehard Sox fans standing in line waiting for hours on end. Sign the ****ing ball any way the person politely requests.

In another thread about this, I beleive someone said that he has a contract with someone where he can only sign the sweet spot on their product or something like that.

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 11:27 AM

With that said...

Does anyone here have any idea how ridiculous it is for a fan to ask a player to sign a ball in a specific spot? Please, Please sign my baseball. Oh wait, not there, on the sweet spot! And don't talk back to me! Wait, not in blue ink, use black ink. Hang on AJ, don't sign it "AJ", I want you to spell out your whole name. Make sure I can read it too!

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Does anyone here have any idea how ridiculous it is for a fan to ask a player to sign a ball in a specific spot? Please, Please sign my baseball. Oh wait, not there, on the sweet spot! And don't talk back to me! Wait, not in blue ink, use black ink. Hang on AJ, don't sign it "AJ", I want you to spell out your whole name. Make sure I can read it too!

I can't think of anyone that does that. Besides, almost all of my baseballs are signed on the sweet spot...and I never asked for it there.

kaufsox
01-18-2005, 11:34 AM
What an interesting thread this turned out to be. To be honest, I didn't even know that there was a sweetspot for an autograph until this weekend. :smile: I kind of agree with the folks who aren't into the stats and collecting, but as long as they are not trampling kids to get stuff signed or quoting stats to me while I'm trying to watch the game, I've got no real problem. I only get so obsessive about my hobbies. For instance, love LOTR, and can quote passages from the books and movies, but I don't dress up nor can I speak elvish, that's just silly. But again if that's your thing just make sure your pointy ears aren't in my sight line.

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I can't think of anyone that does that. Besides, almost all of my baseballs are signed on the sweet spot...and I never asked for it there.

I'm with you. I simply ask a player to sign a ball and leave it at that. Wherever they sign it, they sign it. I'm just happy to have the autographed ball.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Does anyone here have any idea how ridiculous it is for a fan to ask a player to sign a ball in a specific spot?

It's not ridiculous at all. I guess if we're going to go that route, why don't we question the ridiculousness of human beings to ask other human beings to make a mark with a writing instrument signifying their name on a piece of material as a keepsake. Who invented this?

I've been going to Soxfest for years. This is the first time a player has ever made an announcement that he can't sign a certain way. And yes, if a player doesn't sign in the right place or with the right pen, your piece of memorabilia is basically ruined. Case in point, someone was telling me a story about Joe Crede signing a black bat with a black sharpie over the weekend. I guess it was an accident. If anyone knows anything about autographs, you never have a player sign a ball with a sharpie- it will fade in no time and look terrible.

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM

It kinda depends on the player. When I had Carl sign my jersey he picked up a black sharpie and said "Where to you want it?" I asked if he could sign in silver on the (black) number. He said "That's fine. All you have to do is speak up and tell me where you want it."

My bro-in-law asked if Tim Raines would sign a baseball card as "Rock" Raines and he did it. :cool:

Brian26
01-18-2005, 11:37 AM
In another thread about this, I beleive someone said that he has a contract with someone where he can only sign the sweet spot on their product or something like that.

Cool. I guess he's saving all of the sweet spot autos for the Cooperstown induction ceremonies.

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I only have a couple of balls with a sig on the sweet spot. One is Frank Thomas (just because he's always been my favorite player and I'll never sell it) and the other is Loaiza (it's a ball with the 2003 ASG symbol on it). Other than that, I usually just go to Soxfest and get all my autographs on the same ball. Sometimes the very first guy that signs will put it right on the sweet spot (I think Valentin did) but it's not a big deal. This year Minnie Minuso did just because it was an open spot on the ball. :smile:

I had Carl sign my game used bat of his. It has a small crack on the top. When we got up on the stage I pointed to crack and said "cracked bat on a ground ball to the pitcher" he and Tim Raines laughed, then CE took the bat and held it for a bit and said "I remember this bat, 2 rbi double, that's what cracked it" Everett is a stud.

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I've been going to Soxfest for years. This is the first time a player has ever made an announcement that he can't sign a certain way. And yes, if a player doesn't sign in the right place or with the right pen, your piece of memorabilia is basically ruined. Case in point, someone was telling me a story about Joe Crede signing a black bat with a black sharpie over the weekend. I guess it was an accident. If anyone knows anything about autographs, you never have a player sign a ball with a sharpie- it will fade in no time and look terrible.

Alright, I understand. Palehose13 had a good answer though regarding the announcement.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
It kinda depends on the player. When I had Carl sign my jersey he picked up a black sharpie and said "Where to you want it?" I asked if he could sign in silver on the (black) number. He said "That's fine. All you have to do is speak up and tell me where you want it."

Yep. Excellent example. And you probably paid a nice chunk of change for the jersey, so it should look like you want it to. I'm glad you asked him. Those jerseys look awesome when the player signs on the number.

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2005, 11:53 AM

My bro-in-law asked if Tim Raines would sign a baseball card as "Rock" Raines and he did it. :cool:

Konerko was the same way. I had 2 game jerseys, 1 game bat and a game helmet. He asked on each one where I wanted them signed and in what color of marker.

I had Raines sign a ball Tim "Rock" Raines.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Konerko was the same way. I had 2 game jerseys, 1 game bat and a game helmet. He asked on each one where I wanted them signed and in what color of marker.

Class act all the way, PK is.

santo=dorf
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Cool. I guess he's saving all of the sweet spot autos for the Cooperstown induction ceremonies.

Stop whining already.

He took less money to come play for us and felt that of all the teams to make offers, the Sox had the best chance to win the World Series.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Stop whining already.

He took less money to come play for us and felt that of all the teams to make offers, the Sox had the best chance to win the World Series.

Has nothing to do with his on-field play. He took less money, so should be allowed to rape and pillage too? Lots of great players are pricks off the field. Nobody is wrong in calling him out on it. I hope he hits 40 homers and 130 rbi's, but he's still a prick. Jermaine "Sweet Spot" Dye.

santo=dorf
01-18-2005, 12:36 PM
He took less money, so should be allowed to rape and pillage too? Lots of great players are pricks off the field.
I have no idea what led you to make that conclusion, but comparing not signing a baseball in a particular spot to rape is just stupid.

What if his contract prohibits him from signing the ball in the "sweet spot?" Stop thinking about yourself already.

He took less money to come here, he was originally not scheduled for Soxfest (which we now know was due to his wife being in labor) but he showed up anyways.

I suppose Garcia is a prick because of his Visa problems preventing him from coming to Soxfest?

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Has nothing to do with his on-field play. He took less money, so should be allowed to rape and pillage too? ... but he's still a prick. Jermaine "Sweet Spot" Dye.

He "Raped and Pillaged" because he signed your ball an inch and a half from where, Ideally, you wanted it? I think You should be gratefully he even touched a pen to your ball! We should all be happy that he even SHOWED UP! FRANK, BUEHRLE, SHINGO, GARCIA, HERNANDEZ, and many others didn't sign my ball on the sweet spot this year EITHER! I don't hear anyone complaining about that!

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Class act all the way, PK is.

Did anyone else happen to add up the number of sigs PK had this year? He was there all 3 days and IIRC, each day he signed 500+.

I was waiting in line at one of the stages (I don't remember for who) while PK was still up there just finishing up. I was talking with the guy in front of me and we started discussing how much PK was signing. We made sure that when he was finished and walked off the stage that he got plenty of cheers. :D:

jabrch
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM

I just don't understand why Dye wouldn't have this same attitude...this is a no-cost thing he can do to be nice to the fans. I can't see a downside to it.

Look - those going to SoxFest are not going to be making a ton of money selling Jermaine Dye Sweetspot Balls. It's just not happening.

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
A little off-topic but I had Willie Harris sign a batting helmet. He signed it on the side. Upside down...

Not sure why. :?:

champagne030
01-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Has nothing to do with his on-field play. He took less money, so should be allowed to rape and pillage too? Lots of great players are pricks off the field. Nobody is wrong in calling him out on it. I hope he hits 40 homers and 130 rbi's, but he's still a prick. Jermaine "Sweet Spot" Dye.

rape and pillage is a long way way from not signing a ball on the sweet spot and and turning down "kids" at 3 am......i've got tons of balls signed by players and never once did i ask for the "sweet spot". i understand peoples collections (for private use), but this is getting a little crazy!

Palehose13
01-18-2005, 01:22 PM
rape and pillage is a long way way from not signing a ball on the sweet spot and and turning down "kids" at 3 am......i've got tons of balls signed by players and never once did i ask for the "sweet spot". i understand peoples collections (for private use), but this is getting a little crazy!

I agree and thank you for providing the information about Dye (coming even though he was excused).

Brian26
01-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I have no idea what led you to make that conclusion, but comparing not signing a baseball in a particular spot to rape is just stupid.

My point exactly. It's just as stupid as you saying becase he took less money to come to the Sox I'm not allowed to say something negative about him. Just because he took less money to come here, it doesn't make him exempt for any criticism for the rest of the year.

What if his contract prohibits him from signing the ball in the "sweet spot?"

Wow, you just came to this conclusion? You're quick. I figured he had some sort of licensing contract about a half a second after the announcement was made on Friday night. Someone who signs a contract that says he can't sign a baseball in a certain location = prick.

Stop thinking about yourself already.

LOL. I'm such a selfish jerk. I spent 45 bucks on Soxfest tickets and bought a baseball for Jermaine Dye to sign so it sits on my shelf and looks cool for a couple of seasons. Man, I hope Jermaine is happy now that I won't be selling his sweet spot signature on Ebay for 6 dollars next week. Maybe he can pay the mortgage and cable bill on time this month.

He took less money to come here, he was originally not scheduled for Soxfest (which we now know was due to his wife being in labor) but he showed up anyways.

LOL. When is he officially going to be recognized as a saint by the Catholic Church?

I suppose Garcia is a prick because of his Visa problems preventing him from coming to Soxfest?

Now there's an ignorant comment. What are you going to do next, choose a screenname that makes fun of amputees?

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 01:46 PM
I disagree. I like my autos on teh sweet spot, but that's for display purposes.
Gene

SoxFan78
01-18-2005, 01:55 PM
This has gotten all out of control. People are pissed that Jermaine Dye didn't sign the ball in a certain spot?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Jermaine Dye didnt have to be there, he chose to be there and sign autographs. He wanted to reach out to his new fans. And just because he didnt sign it where you wanted him to sign it makes him a prick? Who gives a flying F? You got his autograph, you got to meet him. Is it gonna make that big of a difference if its not signed in the sweet spot?

Will you boo him when he makes a great play or hits a home run, cause he didnt sign your precious ball right where you wanted it?

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

This board amazes me sometimes...

jabrch
01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Will you boo him when he makes a great play or hits a home run, cause he didnt sign your precious ball right where you wanted it?

I don't think anyone said that - but people who do like to collect autographs (not me - btw) went to SoxFest partially because of this. Some people just don't get why Dye couldn't/wouldn't do something that is so easy for him to do, costs him nothing, and would make FANS happier?

It's not like anyone went to SoxFest to get 100s of autographs and sell them on E-bay.

Jerko
01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Pretty soon you're not gonna be allowed to bring balls into Soxfest if all this "complaining" keeps up. I can see it now; the players will only be allowed to sign photos that you have to buy when you first get in line for an autograph.

SoxFan78
01-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't think anyone said that - but people who do like to collect autographs (not me - btw) went to SoxFest partially because of this. Some people just don't get why Dye couldn't/wouldn't do something that is so easy for him to do, costs him nothing, and would make FANS happier?

It's not like anyone went to SoxFest to get 100s of autographs and sell them on E-bay.

I see your point about how Dye could of done something to make fans happier, but I ask this, how come fans couldnt be happy with just his signature? No matter if its on the sweet spot, top, bottom or side of the ball, the signature is gonna look the same.

If they are true Sox fans, and happy to get something signed, it really shouldnt matter, in my opinion.

Sad
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
let's just call him Sweet Spot & let it go or this thread's gonna win one of them rotten tomato awards

Schlitzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :redneck

SEALgep
01-18-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm sure this got lost in the shuffle, but I find it ironic that Dye signed my ball on the sweet spot. I didn't even ask him to, but I sure appreciate it.

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 02:10 PM
I wanna know why Willie signed the batting helmet on the side and up-side-down? Who cares about DYE-GATE!

SEALgep
01-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I wanna know why Willie signed the battign helmit on the side and up-side-down? Who cares about DYE-GATE!Willie isn't going to win any intelligent awards any time soon.

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Willie isn't going to win any intelligent awards any time soon.

Neither will I if I don't start using Spell check.... Jeez!

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
This has gotten all out of control. People are pissed that Jermaine Dye didn't sign the ball in a certain spot?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Jermaine Dye didnt have to be there, he chose to be there and sign autographs. He wanted to reach out to his new fans. And just because he didnt sign it where you wanted him to sign it makes him a prick? Who gives a flying F? You got his autograph, you got to meet him. Is it gonna make that big of a difference if its not signed in the sweet spot?

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

This board amazes me sometimes...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Great comments.

Let's see here. Player signs contract of lesser value to be with team X. Player's wife has a baby and he is told by the GM (rightly so) to stay at home with his family but player still shows up at SoxFest and signs autographs.
Fan is upset, not because player won't sign, but because player won't sign in one particular spot. Now help me out here, which party in this case is the prick????

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I see your point about how Dye could of done something to make fans happier, but I ask this, how come fans couldnt be happy with just his signature? No matter if its on the sweet spot, top, bottom or side of the ball, the signature is gonna look the same.

If they are true Sox fans, and happy to get something signed, it really shouldnt matter, in my opinion.

AMEN!!

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 02:19 PM

Let's see here. Player signs contract of lesser value to be with team X. Player's wife has a baby and he is told by the GM (rightly so) to stay at home with his family but player still shows up at SoxFest and signs autographs.
Fan is upset, not because player won't sign, but because player won't sign in one particular spot. Now help me out here, which party in this case is the prick????

The Baby?:dunno:

Brian26
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Fan is upset, not because player won't sign, but because player won't sign in one particular spot.

Honestly, "Sweet Spot" Dye should have stayed home. There was nothing of him being sold in a Sox uniform to sign (no cards, photos). If he doesn't want to sign the correct part of a baseball due to some selfish licensing agreement, he's a prick.

In the meantime, Big Ben Davis got the baseball that I originally purchased for Dye's auto. When I went up there Saturday morning, Ben took the ball and started signing on the inner portion (not the sweet spot). I told him no way- You get the Sweet Spot today Ben! So, Ben Davis #31 now sits on my shelf at home...sweet spot and all....and it's actually a pretty cool looking autograph too.

And I hope Dye hits .400 and wins the fricking MVP this year. He's still a prick though.

Nick@Nite
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Tekijawa is flowing like Niagara falls. :cool:

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Honestly, "Sweet Spot" Dye should have stayed home. There was nothing of him being sold in a Sox uniform to sign (no cards, photos). If he doesn't want to sign the correct part of a baseball due to some selfish licensing agreement, he's a prick.

In the meantime, Big Ben Davis got the baseball that I originally purchased for Dye's auto. When I went up there Saturday morning, Ben took the ball and started signing on the inner portion (not the sweet spot). I told him no way- You get the Sweet Spot today Ben! So, Ben Davis #31 now sits on my shelf at home...sweet spot and all....and it's actually a pretty cool looking autograph too.

And I hope Dye hits .400 and wins the fricking MVP this year. He's still a prick though.

...and fans have the audacity to wonder why some players refuse to sign autographs. Amazing......

South Side
01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
It's not ridiculous at all. I guess if we're going to go that route, why don't we question the ridiculousness of human beings to ask other human beings to make a mark with a writing instrument signifying their name on a piece of material as a keepsake. Who invented this?

From what I noticed Scott Podsednik was really prepared. He had a variety of writing utensils and while waiting in line I noticed that he looked down a couple times for a second to make a choice on which pen to use. It was kind of funny. Although I appreciated it b/c all of my autographs smudged b/c they were written in pen where as his did not b/c he used a sharpie.

OurBitchinMinny
01-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Seriously your equating raping and pillaging with not signing the damn sweet spot on your baseball? Who gives a **** where he signs the ball. I dont care if he refuses to sign anything unless you are 15 and under as long as he performs on the field. From everything I've heard he is a team guy and a good guy. What he does at a damn fan fest, I could care less.

Brian26
01-18-2005, 03:04 PM
What he does at a damn fan fest, I could care less.

Cool, nobody asked you. And the correct term is "I could NOT care less".

ja1022
01-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Willie isn't going to win any intelligent awards any time soon.

Or any intelligence awards.

thepaulbowski
01-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Whatever. If I like player X, I would be thrilled to have him sign a ball for me. The last thing in the world I would care about is where on the ball he chose to sign. He's already going out of his way to do something nice for a fan. I wouldn't push it by adding "oh by the way, can you sign it on the sweet spot?"

What does this have to do with you accusing all people who like to get autographs on the sweet spot of selling them? I like to get a ball signed on the sweet spot, I think it looks sharp. If he does it great, if doesn't that is great, too. I got Dye to sign a ball and it is not on the sweet spot, I don't care I just wanted the autograph. I'm not sure what the big deal is?

HoustonAstros967
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM

I couldn't agree more.

stillz
01-18-2005, 04:38 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Sign the sweet spot.
:smile:

AZChiSoxFan
01-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Cool, nobody asked you. And the correct term is "I could NOT care less".

This may not be true. It's possible that ChiSoxFaninMinny could actually care a little bit less, thus his statement may have been accurate.

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I wanna know why Willie signed the batting helmet on the side and up-side-down? Who cares about DYE-GATE!

I honestly don't know.

He took the helmet, looked at it for a second or two, then turned it over and signed the side upside down.

I've heard from more than one person that's met him that he's a bit of a prick. I saw him talking on his cell phone at one point while signing...

Clembasbal
01-18-2005, 05:17 PM
This may not be true. It's possible that ChiSoxFaninMinny could actually care a little bit less, thus his statement may have been accurate.

Nice, gotta love poking fun at somebody who is raging.

All this talk about the "p" word...can't we just use jerk?

And when I asked him if he could sign the sweet spot, his SoxFest corporate guy said he can only do it to a certain kind of ball...so lost in all of this shuffle, the guy who keeps mentioning that Dye signed his ball in the sweet spot...who manufactures that baseball?

Brain26, or whatever you screen name is, solve your problem and buy that type of baseball and ask Dye for an autograph during Spring Training...if you are going to be there, I mean you are a diehard Sox fan who cares less about autographs and more about the Sox right?

SOXSINCE'70
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM

I'd rather just shake his hand.Autographs mean little to me.
Help this team get into the playoffs.That's the main goal
(or should I say Jermaine's goal).:D: :D: :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
And when I asked him if he could sign the sweet spot, his SoxFest corporate guy said he can only do it to a certain kind of ball...so lost in all of this shuffle, the guy who keeps mentioning that Dye signed his ball in the sweet spot...who manufactures that baseball?

Only signs a certain kind of ball? All the ones old at Soxfest are OL Balls.

petekat
01-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Dude, nice to know you have your priorities set. I'm sure it'll upset Dye mightily that he's not sitting on your shelf.

LongLiveFisk
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
A spot on the ball:

I'm going to say it's Juan Marichal.

TtotheDHolla
01-18-2005, 08:34 PM
i am not against asking for autographs, but i met ditka at his resturant downtown and he grabbed his pen and i told him there was no need for that and he was much more happy with me than the other people that asked for one....its all about the expierence not the signature

Holla :buddylee

Clembasbal
01-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Only signs a certain kind of ball? All the ones old at Soxfest are OL Balls.

Well, the OL balls are typically the "Official" White Sox baseball, as they are will all of the team. Maybe Dye has a contract with Rawlings or Wilson, they make baseballs and I have autographs on them...who knows.

Clembasbal
01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd rather just shake his hand.Autographs mean little to me.
Help this team get into the playoffs.That's the main goal
(or should I say Jermaine's goal).:D: :D: :D:

I agree 100%, even though I do have autographs. But, I would much rather shake his hand, but I also like taking pictures with them to show that I actually met the person. That is cool, having a ton of pictures of myself and a baseball player or celebrity on my walls, rather than an autograph that I can buy anywhere and doesn't prove I met anyone.

AZChiSoxFan
01-19-2005, 09:05 AM
The Baby?:dunno:

Good one!!