PDA

View Full Version : Who's your surprise team in 2005?

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Which team do you think will perform furthest beyond expectations in 2005?
I have to go with the Reds. The re-singings of Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn plus the additions of Joe Randa and Eric Milton will push them up around .500 I think.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Brewers. I smell 3rd place

ChiSoxRowand
01-17-2005, 10:52 PM
The Orioles, their pitching improved the second half of last year but it will be very tough for them to win with the Red Sox and Yankees in the division.

NowBatting19
01-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Either the Brew Crew or the Pirates. I'm pulling for Lee to help the Brewers out and I like a number of the players on the Pirates. I think the Pirates could improve as their younger players continue to grow.

cbrownson13
01-18-2005, 12:15 AM
For some reason, I am going to say the Diamondbacks, especially if they hang on to Vazquez. A rotation of Vazquez, Webb, Ortiz, Estes, and whoever their number 5 is, might not be too bad. If Green and Glaus can stay healthy those are two good guys for the middle of their lineup. And if Cintron can have a resurgant year, they may be in good shape. I realize that is a lot of "if's", but that's why they'd be a suprise.

WinningUgly!
01-18-2005, 12:29 AM
For some reason, I am going to say the Diamondbacks, especially if they hang on to Vazquez. A rotation of Vazquez, Webb, Ortiz, Estes, and whoever their number 5 is, might not be too bad. If Green and Glaus can stay healthy those are two good guys for the middle of their lineup. And if Cintron can have a resurgant year, they may be in good shape. I realize that is a lot of "if's", but that's why they'd be a suprise.

Casey Fossum will also be in the Arizona rotation.

SoxFan76
01-18-2005, 12:31 PM
For some reason I like the Reds. Probably because they are in the Central. I like that offense though, and they got some more pitching in the offseason. The Red Legs could possibly make a run.....for 2nd place.

veeter
01-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Brewers. I smell 3rd place Ditto

rdivaldi
01-18-2005, 04:01 PM
No one has talked about them yet, but I really think that the Kitties are going to surprise some people this year. They have a pretty decent lineup and I think Percival is going to be lights out in Comerica unless his back/hip finally gives out.

3rd place is a very likely possibility as I like their team better than the overrated Tribe.

HoustonAstros967
01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
The Reds are going to be a much better team in 2005 they improved their pitching and i could see them being above .500. Plus they have javier valentiene the cub killer!

wsbaseball9
01-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I gotta say Orioles and the brewers...i also am betting on el caballo hitting 35 homers with a .300 batting average

batmanZoSo
01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Which team do you think will perform furthest beyond expectations in 2005?
I have to go with the Reds. The re-singings of Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn plus the additions of Joe Randa and Eric Milton will push them up around .500 I think.

I think it's gonna be us. This is a pretty well balanced team now and nobody's picking us to do anything. I think we're generally happy with our chances (you have to be, at least compared to last year's apparent fiasco team going in) but the national guys probably don't have a grasp on how much we've improved.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-18-2005, 07:26 PM
The White Sox. In SI online, a columnist states that the Sox haven't improved, and that Cleveland will take the division by at least three. The Sox will win this division. And they'll be that team in the playoffs no one wants to play.

zach074
01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
The White Sox will win the WS! (is this deep pink?)

JKryl
01-19-2005, 09:54 AM
The Whitesox, of course! What's the matter with all of you Sox fans?

rdivaldi
01-19-2005, 09:58 AM
The White Sox. In SI online, a columnist states that the Sox haven't improved, and that Cleveland will take the division by at least three. The Sox will win this division. And they'll be that team in the playoffs no one wants to play.

Who in the hell is Albert Chen? Does this guy even know anything about baseball or does he use a dartboard for his dumb predictions?

NonetheLoaiza
01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Besides the White Sox, I think the Brewers and Dbacks will surprise people. Also, I don't know if it would be a surprise, but I think the Mariners will do a little bit of damage in the West. I know alot of people question the contracts they gave to Sexson and Beltre, but if they are healthy, there is no reason they cant win that division.

whitesoxwilkes
01-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Us of course, and then Seattle.

Other surprise will be the Red Sox failing to make the playoffs.

Jerome
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I think the Suprise team will be the Astros. I have to believe that this will be the year that it comes crashing down. Petitte will probably be injured, who knows if Clemens will be back, no Beltran, Kent, etc. Biggio and Bags are old.

As for a good suprise team, I agree with the Brewers. They made two very good trades. The prosepects they got in the Kolb trade should be good.