PDA

View Full Version : Shock! MLB makes Cubs Bracelets, too!

South Side
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Mods. not sure if this belongs in here or Talking Baseball but... apparently the Cubs "believe". They're selling blue bracelets at their convention next week. I just came across this and found it to be "interesting". http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931828&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Cubs are copycats! The sox had wristbands first!!! :tongue:

FedEx227
01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
typical Cub-ness...

the white sox do something for charity, to help out the community

the cubs do something for themselves to make a little more money.

Mots09
01-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Everyone is selling these braclets not just the Cubs.

I know that the Illini have ones along with the Univ of Iowa.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I have no problem with everyone selling them so long as proceeds go to charity

South Side
01-17-2005, 07:32 PM
typical Cub-ness...

the white sox do something for charity, to help out the community

the cubs do something for themselves to make a little more money.

The proceeds go to the Cubs' own charity.

South Side
01-17-2005, 07:33 PM
I have no problem with everyone selling them so long as proceeds go to charity

Yeah, absolutely. It's their cheesiness that is obnoxious. Cub fans "believe". :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 07:33 PM
The proceeds go to the Cubs' own charity.

Okay.....and the White Sox bracelet proceeds go to "White Sox Charities". The Cubs are not spending bracelet proceeds on payroll or anything. I'm sure they have a fine charity

South Side
01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Okay.....and the White Sox bracelet proceeds go to "White Sox Charities". The Cubs are not spending bracelet proceeds on payroll or anything. I'm sure they have a fine charity

Never said they didn't.

ewokpelts
01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Mods. not sure if this belongs in here or Talking Baseball but... apparently the Cubs "believe". They're selling blue bracelets at their convention next week. I just came across this and found it to be "interesting". http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931828&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp
and the media didnt even mention the sox' efforts...but channel 7 had a whole feature on the cubs' bracelets...
Gene

South Side
01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
and the media didnt even mention the sox' efforts...but channel 7 had a whole feature on the cubs' bracelets...
Gene

Should we expect it to be any different?

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 09:37 PM
GeneAre you new in town?

Chisox003
01-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Gene

Whats next, the Sox being shown in the first half hour of Sportscenter rather than the last 12 minutes? Please....

We all know that Chicago media is all about the Cubs, and the rest of the nation is all about the Yankees and Red Sox...Always has been, always will be...

The Sox bring a new definition to KW's "Flying under the radar" when it comes to stuff like this...

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Whats next, the Sox being shown in the first half hour of Sportscenter rather than the last 12 minutes? Please....

ahhhhhhh!! :tealpolice:

NSSoxFan2
01-17-2005, 10:39 PM
All I got to say is..."Believe".

Viva Medias B's
01-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Once again, the media is fawning over the Evil Empire while we get the third degree. I hate to say this but we all know it's true. The Evil Empire convention will be as big as Pope John Paul II's 1979 visit to the media morons in comparision to our beloved SoxFest this past weekend.

Rocklive99
01-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Posted it in the other thread because I didn't check here first, but I'll say it again, Ugh, they talked about the Cubs' ones on SportsCenter

Uncle_Patrick
01-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey, the Sox "Wrist Bands" are cool, tough black. The Cubs "bracelets" are a girly blue. Ours are better, no matter what the media think. I've worn mine everyday since I got it.

SoxFan78
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Gene

When I saw that it made me sick, unbelievable. Not one mention about the Sox doing it, but as soon as that north side team does it, lets do a story on it.

Im not looking forward to this weekend when the Scrub Convention is starting. Im surprised Channel's 2,5,7,9,23,26,32,44,38,50,66 aren't gonna drop all of their regular programming and show the Scrub Convention live wire to wire.

Flight #24
01-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Saw this in the Herald this AM:

New item: The Cubs will be selling Cubs bracelets this weekend at the convention. The bracelets, designed by Forever Collectibles, are Cubs blue and feature the team logo and the word "BELIEVE" stamped on the band. Cost of the bracelets are $2 each, and the Cubs say purchases will support Cubs Care, the charitable arm of the organization.

Sound familiar? What's next: Churros at the Urinal?

EDIT: Oops, just saw this in the new forum. Thanks to the mod who merged.

NonetheLoaiza
01-18-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm sure they had these in the works at the same time we had ours in the works because of the popularity of them, but still...now I will see a whole bunch of losers walking around wearing those stupid blue wristbands.

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 09:57 AM
"Believe"? What happened to "In Dusty we Trust" or "We got Wood"?

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 10:35 AM
YUP. How many times have we seen im our lifetimes, the Cubs Blatantly COPYING something the SOX have done? Im sick of it. YES, there
was MILD (i use that term loosely) coverage leading up to the SOXFEST,
but im already hearing the Media going cubby blue over their convention.
Ours Sold OUt Friday nite after all, and so did Saturday. I hate this City.

Carl Everett told me over the weekend that he "Respects" the Chicago Media,
because theyve left him alone. I told him dont be so quick to give those
Imbeciles Credit, theyre Too busy over there (I pointed north) covering
that other team, Ogling their Players, and Covering up murders in Wrigleyville
to be paying attention to him. He Smiled and said I was right.

I hate the Media in this City ...........

Uncle_Patrick
01-18-2005, 10:41 AM
YUP. How many times have we seen im our lifetimes, the Cubs Blatantly COPYING something the SOX have done? Im sick of it. YES, there

Come on Hangar, you've got to be used to it by now. After all, the Cubs invented baseball and everything good about it.

Mickster
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I wonder if it will look like this:

"BELIEVE"

SOXFAN82
01-18-2005, 02:01 PM
The braclets say "Cubs Pride for Tribune profit" on it....

I think they will be using those at the games for beer braclets too....:gulp:

hsnterprize
01-18-2005, 02:01 PM
GeneActually...I have to correct you on that one. The media DID mention the Sox bracelets before and during Soxfest. I think it was Channel 2's Mark Malone who first reported what was going on, but I'm not 100% sure...I can only watch 1 TV station at a time.

What's weird about this whole "bracelet" thing is that other non-sports entities are cashing in on the trend. I glanced at a recent Red Eye, and saw an arm filled from wrist to elbow with a slew of bracelets in just about every color. In fact, depending on who you voted for in this past Presidential election, there are wristbands being sold online to show you did/didn't vote for. Bush supporters have red bands; Kerry supporters can choose either blue or black. I heard about some father/daughter who put their respective wristbands on some site on the radio this morning, and I think this wristband trend is already starting to get out of control.

Nothing wrong with an outward sign of support for a cause, but c'mon folks...too much of a good thing ain't good.

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM

what did carl say in response?
Gene

eriqjaffe
01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
what did carl say in response?
Gene

He Smiled and said I was right.

:rolleyes:

Tekijawa
01-18-2005, 03:59 PM
At least this will make it easier for them to identify each other now... they won't have to go around sniffing butts any more!

winning ugly 72
01-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Gene

i saw story on channel 7 too and it really bothered me that i saw nothing about the sox bands and their charities

Viva Medias B's
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
:giangreco
"The Sox should have had their wristbands blue too, since mostly blue seats go to Sox games."