PDA

View Full Version : Rowand an All-Star?

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Scott Merkin, in his most recent mailbag article, (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931784&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) predicted Aaron Rowand would be an All-Star within the next two seasons. Merkin has been known to sip the Kool-Aide pretty heavily at times, and outfield is probably the toughest position to make the All-Star team. Still, he was near the top of the AL in most offensive categories last year. Thoughts?

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't disagree with that, but I think it might take him more like 3 or 4 years. The All-Star game is little more than a popularity contest, so it would take alot for him to gain respect, attention and votes

A. Cavatica
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe if we trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox.

Chicago83
01-17-2005, 03:13 PM
If he improves at all on what he did last year then I think he is a great possibility for the all-star team. If he can turn about 30 K's into 30 BB's then I'd say he is a definite all-star. However, we all know the all-star game is a sham and just because he should be an all-star doesn't mean he will be one.

Chicago83
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Maybe if we trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox.

Or we change his name to Soriano. I still don't understand how Alfonso was the leading vote-getter last year, that is a joke.

Vestigio
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I would like to see it, but the platoon of Guerrero/Ichrio/Shefield will field for the next few years.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I would like to see it, but the platoon of Guerrero/Ichrio/Shefield will field for the next few years.Even if these guys are the starters, Rowand could still get picked for the team, as long as Torre isn't the manager.

Dadawg_77
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Or we change his name to Soriano. I still don't understand how Alfonso was the leading vote-getter last year, that is a joke.

Who else was at second base in the AL?

Vestigio
01-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I know, but then you got Matsui, Manny, Damon, and maybe Hunter

Mickster
01-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Who else was at second base in the AL?

Willie Harris.

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
The voting system needs to be changed badly. For one thing they should do away with online voting and make you go to games to vote. I don't care if people in Japan want to vote for Ichiro. Ideally, there would be a system where only the players voted, or even something where each team voted one all-star in, and then the manager of the all-star team selected from that list, being allowed to make a set number of changes and additions in order to balance out positions. Everything would be kept quiet, so that teams wouldn't know who they had voted in. I'm sorry but the idea of people who know nothing about the game voting for all-stars based on name-popularity just isn't very good at all.

Mots09
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Can't agree enough that the voting style needs to change, but it 'gives the fans a voice.'

It's is the same in all sports its a popularity contest, and who is the most marketable.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 04:27 PM
The voting system needs to be changed badly. For one thing they should do away with online voting and make you go to games to vote. I don't care if people in Japan want to vote for Ichiro. Ideally, there would be a system where only the players voted, or even something where each team voted one all-star in, and then the manager of the all-star team selected from that list, being allowed to make a set number of changes and additions in order to balance out positions. Everything would be kept quiet, so that teams wouldn't know who they had voted in. I'm sorry but the idea of people who know nothing about the game voting for all-stars based on name-popularity just isn't very good at all.It's an All-Star game. A star isn't necessarily the best. It's for the fans, and I have no problem letting the fans pick. The best players are still going to make it, even if it's as a reserve. But I agree that internet voting has skewed things to a ridiculous extent. The way it is now, Ichiro could hit .131 with 15 errors and he's still be the top vote-getter.

There is a player ballot, and IIRC, the reserves are chosen from the top vote-getters on the players' ballot. The internet vote-in for the final roster spot is absurd, and should be dropped. All it does is to ensure an additional player from the big market teams.

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 04:52 PM
On that note, it will be interesting to see if Sham-ME gets in again. Sure the Cubs fans hate him, but what about all the other Yahoos out there who think it's still 1998?

ChiSoxRowand
01-17-2005, 04:59 PM
If they are gonna give home field advantage in the world series to the all-star game winner than there should be no fan voting at all. I am sick of seeing 8 Yankees on the roster and 1 guy from the Sox.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 05:02 PM
If they are gonna give home field advantage in the world series to the all-star game winner than there should be no fan voting at all. I am sick of seeing 8 Yankees on the roster and 1 guy from the Sox.The 8 Yankees weren't from the fan voting. It was Torre. He's not the A/S manager this year, so that won't be a problem.

OurBitchinMinny
01-17-2005, 05:24 PM
He has had one good year. He needs to prove himself all over again. If he keeps improving he has the potential to be one in the next 2-4 years. But if he reverts to his earlier career form he may not be on the team. This year will tell a lot about what aaron rowand is. One year doesnt make a career

HoustonAstros967
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't see im becoming an all star only because no one outside of chicago seems to pay attention to him. He is one of the most under-rated center fielders in the game. I think he deserves to make the team but you never know.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 05:34 PM
He has had one good year. He needs to prove himself all over again. If he keeps improving he has the potential to be one in the next 2-4 years. But if he reverts to his earlier career form he may not be on the team. This year will tell a lot about what aaron rowand is. One year doesnt make a careerHe hit .287 in 2003. It would be even better if you discount the first couple of months when he was less than 100%. Isn't that a pretty good year? He also hit something like .380 post-A/S break in 2002 when he finally got regular playing time. That qualifies as at least half a good year. I count 2 1/2 good years. And .293 in 123 AB in 2001.

About the only times he didn't hit well was the first half of 2002 when he played only sparingly and the first month or so of 2003 when he was hurt. What earlier career form are you referring to?

zach074
01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Once the season gets underway we will see if Rowand is still all-star caliber.

idseer
01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
the so called 'all star' game is worthless and a waste of time.

it should also be meaningless. but now that the worthless and meaningless commissioner has decreed the winner gets home field in the world series i can't say it's meaningless anymore.

so now we have a worthless waste of time affecting the world series of major league baseball.

sometimes i feel like watching the developement of major league baseball is like watching your child grow up to become a used car saleman who sells dope on the side.

Fredsox
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
We've seen a few good months from Rowand, but he's not an All-star yet. He needs to continue where he left off last year, and the Sox need to be in first place so they get some media attention. Realistically we'll get 2 spots and one of them is probably a pitcher, but who knows. He's also got to hope that the steroid testing holds down the competition, if you know what I mean. :wink:

A. Cavatica
01-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Francona will get to pick the team this year. He managed Birmingham from circa '92-'95. Pity none of the players he had then are still with us, or they might get extra consideration...

gosox41
01-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Scott Merkin, in his most recent mailbag article, (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931784&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) predicted Aaron Rowand would be an All-Star within the next two seasons. Merkin has been known to sip the Kool-Aide pretty heavily at times, and outfield is probably the toughest position to make the All-Star team. Still, he was near the top of the AL in most offensive categories last year. Thoughts?

I'd love to see it. Aaron seems like a good guy. According to some here, he went from a AAAA player with no defensive ability who couldn't carry Borchard's jock strap to potential All Star.

Me likey.

Bob

Sad
01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I love baseball, watch as many games as I can and I also enjoy the All-Star game (especially the Home Run contest)

but the fan voting thing stinks...
the players that should be starting- aren't. I want to see the players start that deserve to start and I vote in the same fashion, instead we always get the ones that would win a geographical popularity contest :mad:

SOXintheBURGH
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
the so called 'all star' game is worthless and a waste of time.

sometimes i feel like watching the developement of major league baseball is like watching your child grow up to become a used car saleman who sells dope on the side.

:rolling:

California Sox
01-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I think Rowand has as good of a chance as anyone. The Sox get one representative most years. The candidates from our club the way I see it are Buerhle, Garcia, Paulie, and Rowand. Someone else might sneak in there with a career year, but these are the guys who seem likely. Paulie often gets off to a slow start, hurting his all star chances and they only need four starting pitchers from the whole league, so if Rownad starts out hot, he's got a real chance.

SoxFan76
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I think Rowand has as good of a chance as anyone. The Sox get one representative most years. The candidates from our club the way I see it are Buerhle, Garcia, Paulie, and Rowand. Someone else might sneak in there with a career year, but these are the guys who seem likely. Paulie often gets off to a slow start, hurting his all star chances and they only need four starting pitchers from the whole league, so if Rownad starts out hot, he's got a real chance.

Every team gets 1 rep.

Nick@Nite
01-18-2005, 02:55 PM
If he ever does make it, I hope to hell he stays away from the HR hitting contest. It's a great event for the fans, but for some players it's a slump-enabler waiting to happen. Not to mention the potential for injury.

awesomefan
01-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Aaron Rowand is already an All Star to me.

If the White Sox win the World Series then you can bet that Aaron will get picked as an All Star in the near future or Ozzie is gonna have some splanin' to do :tongue:

Brian26
01-19-2005, 12:33 PM
If he ever does make it, I hope to hell he stays away from the HR hitting contest. It's a great event for the fans, but for some players it's a slump-enabler waiting to happen. Not to mention the potential for injury.

i.e. PK = 2002 in Milwaukee. Screwed him up for a year.