PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Alomar close to signing with D-Rays

Unregistered
01-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Not like many care where a light hitting 37-year-old is winding up, but I think it's important to know who we're going to have to trade with to get him back in the middle of the season. :D:

Link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/17/Rays/Rays_close_to_deal_wi.shtml)

RKMeibalane
01-17-2005, 01:01 PM
:KW

"I have his agent's phone number on my desk. We're ready to make the move."

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 01:02 PM

"I have his agent's phone number on my desk. We're ready to make the move."

I'm pretty sure his agent's phone number is the "fire dept" speed dial button on his phone

RKMeibalane
01-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure his agent's phone number is the "fire dept" speed dial button on his phone

So if the 'Cell catches fire at some point, KW will call Alomar's agent? LOL!

Brian26
01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Not like many care where a light hitting 37-year-old is winding up, but I think it's important to know who we're going to have to trade with to get him back in the middle of the season. :D:

Link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/17/Rays/Rays_close_to_deal_wi.shtml)

I thought he was a lock to go to the Cardinals.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 01:07 PM
So if the 'Cell catches fire at some point, KW will call Alomar's agent? LOL!

More like if he needs an emergency 2B to sit on the DL

Tekijawa
01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Done Dealhttp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1968838

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 01:23 PM

(on the phone right now with TB)
"Yes, that's right. No, I'm serious...McCarthy, Valdez, Garland and $800k. Tell him his uniform is waiting."

RKMeibalane
01-17-2005, 01:27 PM

(on the phone right now with TB)
"Yes, that's right. No, I'm serious...McCarthy, Valdez, Garland and $800k. Tell him his uniform is waiting."

What's really funny (or sad) about this situation is that the Sox probably have a locker space reserved for him when they trade for him in July.

mcfish
01-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Done Dealhttp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1968838
Who does Tampa Bay like in Birmingham?

CubKilla
01-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I thought he was a lock to go to the Cardinals.

The Cards signed Grudzielanek

Rocklive99
01-17-2005, 02:28 PM
I love the rotoworld take lol:

According to ESPN.com, the Devil Rays and Roberto Alomar have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, pending a physical.
This makes Tampa Bay worse defensively and probably offensively. A year ago, we still believed that Alomar could have had one or two more good seasons left in him. That seems unlikely now. Jan. 17 - 2:18 pm et

OurBitchinMinny
01-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Im not sure we should be bad mouthing any second basemen while ours is willie harris

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Im not sure we should be bad mouthing any second basemen while ours is willie harris

We can bad mouth him because if he was better than Willie Harris, he'd still be on the team....again

mcfish
01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
What is so incredibly wrong with Willie Harris that people around here can't shut up about the need for a new 2b? What about Crede? Why is he given such a free pass despite being as bad if not worse than Harris all year?

I would love to see the signing of another good middle infielder because I think it would help the team, but this is getting out of hand. Our best offensive and defensive middle infield last year was the 3 weeks that had Jose on the DL and Willie and Juan playing consistently in the same position every day. I know Uribe won't hit .380 and Harris won't hit .320, approx. the avgs. they had at the time, but why can't we at least give it a shot, especially if we're going to give Crede a free pass, apparently for the rest of his career? Harris got hurt too, and struggled mightily after that. Maybe the collision had something to do with his numbers as well. Maybe he really is decent after all.

DickAllen72
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I would love to see the signing of another good middle infielder because I think it would help the team, but this is getting out of hand. Our best offensive and defensive middle infield last year was the 3 weeks that had Jose on the DL and Willie and Juan playing consistently in the same position every day.

Thank you!

Harris got hurt too, and struggled mightily after that. Maybe the collision had something to do with his numbers as well. Maybe he really is decent after all.

That injury most likely cut down on Willies SB totals. He was about a half step slower to first base for the rest of the season after Magglio ran into his shin/ankle with a force so fierce that it ruined Magglio's season and possibly his career. People seem to have forgotten that.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 03:27 PM
That injury most likely cut down on Willies SB totals. He was about a half step slower to first base for the rest of the season after Magglio ran into his shin/ankle with a force so fierce that it ruined Magglio's season and possibly his career. People seem to have forgotten that.He had 5 SB in April and 3 in May (2 after the collision). Projecting that for the season is only marginally higher than his actual totals, so it's I don't think you can blame it on the injury. He just didn't seem to have the confidence. Hopefully, Raines can help him with that.

mcfish
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
He had 5 SB in April and 3 in May (2 after the collision). Projecting that for the season is only marginally higher than his actual totals, so it's I don't think you can blame it on the injury. He just didn't seem to have the confidence. Hopefully, Raines can help him with that.
Also to blame is the fact that he didn't get on base in June or July. Those were two dismal months of baseball. I'm hoping that those two months were directly related to his crash with Maggs and that he really is better than he showed last year. I know it's possible that that's not true and he just sucks, so I would also like to sign a backup solution if possible, but I think that it would be just as important to have a backup plan for Crede's eventual failure. Sign someone (there's probably no one left out there though) that can give you the ability to take out any of the three infielders at any time - that person would have to be able to play short and second, giving us the flexibility to have at least 2 people who could play every infield position.

chisoxmike
01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Tampa Bay, where all stars go to end their careers.

"Not so fast..."

OurBitchinMinny
01-17-2005, 09:49 PM
We can bad mouth him because if he was better than Willie Harris, he'd still be on the team....again

All I know is one guy is gonna have a plaque in cooperstown while the other is barely a major leaguer. Alomars skills have diminished, but he can still get a freaking bunt down. Harris has trouble moving runners over, let alone getting on base himself. And Im not saying trading for him last year or resigning him was a good idea, Alomar was a hell of player. Harris wasnt and never will be

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 09:57 PM
All I know is one guy is gonna have a plaque in cooperstown while the other is barely a major leaguer. Alomars skills have diminished, but he can still get a freaking bunt down. Harris has trouble moving runners over, let alone getting on base himself. And Im not saying trading for him last year or resigning him was a good idea, Alomar was a hell of player. Harris wasnt and never will be

Alomar is no longer even "average". I know Willie can't be what Alomar was 10 years ago with Cleveland, but I'm not asking him to be. I'm asking Willie to be average to above average. He has that potential

NowBatting19
01-18-2005, 12:35 AM
I remain hopeful that Willie will have a positive year in all aspects of the game and I really believe the others around him in the lineup will help push him. Not just in stolen bases. As for Alomar, maybe he can have a solid year like the "Crime Dog" did down in Tampa before he was traded to the Cubs. I don't want to see him end his career on a bad note, but it does seem like he could be setting himself up for another trade if he does well before the trade deadline. Oh boy!!

OurBitchinMinny
01-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Alomar is no longer even "average". I know Willie can't be what Alomar was 10 years ago with Cleveland, but I'm not asking him to be. I'm asking Willie to be average to above average. He has that potential

Yeah he has potential, but this year is it. Time to put up or shut up. Same with crede. Borchard is done in my book. Thats the thing about sox young guys, they all have "potential." Need to see results. Im just not confident going into the season with harris at 2B. I hope he does well and proves me wrong like rowand did last year. Time will tell

Banix12
01-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Anyway, if I had a choice to get an ancient middle infielder to fill a role on the team I would take Barry larkin over Alomar right now. At least Larkin showed that he can still get on base last year, alomar seemed to struggle mightily at the plate. neither player is going to wow you on the field.

I wouldn't fathom of calling Willie Harris a perfect 2b, but he's better than alomar at this point in time. Also while you look at his batting negatives, you have the positives that he has shown an ability to draw walks, he showed flashes of being a good hitter when he was healthy. His OBP of .343 isn't too shabby for a guy who batted .262. He'll be batting 9th, he can pick the ball pretty well, and he's cheap. He's worth one more look, especially considering most of the middle infielder alternatives available on the Market now.

jake27
01-18-2005, 08:43 AM
o man thta roto world is hilarious!:rolling: