PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't-make-Soxfest support group thread

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Couldn't get off work saturday or sunday, Mom wouldn't let me walk the mile and a half from Union station on a friday night. I really wanted to go too. Let's hear your stories.
(This might be Parking Lot material but I put it here because it concerns Soxfest...in a way. Move it if you get the urge, mods!)

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 12:18 AM
I just happened to have a really busy weekend. I wish I could've made it to the Atrium Bar if nothing else.

petekat
01-17-2005, 12:18 AM
right there with you. was in Boston all wknd. At least I got to hear the replay of the Phil Rogers interview on the Bobbie V. show on ESPN. Great segment--Phil captured the excitement around the Sox- while dissing the Cubs...and Cubs fans!!

Couldn't get off work saturday or sunday, Mom wouldn't let me walk the mile and a half from Union station on a friday night. I really wanted to go too. Let's hear your stories.
(This might be Parking Lot material but I put it here because it concerns Soxfest...in a way. Move it if you get the urge, mods!)

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-17-2005, 12:22 AM
It's pretty hard for myself to get to any white sox related event now that my dad died and I moved far away from the city. With my dad, we drove nearly 1200 miles to see the white sox play. Unfortunately, my mom wasn't willing to take me 100 miles to soxfest. I was going to go on saturday because my mom had to go somewhere in Schaumburg which has a metra station. I was going to take the metra train down to the city and then walk 2 or so miles. Unfortunately, the tickets sold out for Saturday and I lost all hope of going. On a good note, I got my driver's license on Friday so now I can go to future SoxFests, as long as I have a car to get there. :cool:

DrCrawdad
01-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I had good intentions. On Friday I was downtown with my wife and two daughters at the Chicago Childrens' Museum. I planned on stopping at SoxFest afterward. But my older daugther, who's three, was wiped out after hours of running around the museum. So we just went home and skipped SoxFest. I'll have to catch it next time 'round.

pearso66
01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
I happen to go to MI every weekend, so I missed it, Hopefully next year i can make it.

BRDSR
01-17-2005, 02:01 AM
I had every intention of going on Saturday but then a road trip to Mississippi gummed up the works. It was a bunch of fun, but my girlfriend got mad because I kept checking WSI to see if there were any big announcements at SoxFest. There weren't any, so I was kind of bummed but I'm glad everyone had fun.

On another note, for all the midwesterners who read this board, ya'll should get down to Mississippi sometime. It's a completely different world. My eyes were opened(plus it's a lot warmer down there). Highlights of my trip were partying with the band U.S., renowned for their cover of classic 80s tunes, and eating at Sonny's BBQ, which is by all accounts the best BBQ in all of the south. The walls were plywood and the parking lot was gravel but man was that good BBQ. Can't wait for opening day!

TornLabrum
01-17-2005, 08:15 AM
I had every intention of going on Saturday but then a road trip to Mississippi gummed up the works. It was a bunch of fun, but my girlfriend got mad because I kept checking WSI to see if there were any big announcements at SoxFest. There weren't any, so I was kind of bummed but I'm glad everyone had fun.

On another note, for all the midwesterners who read this board, ya'll should get down to Mississippi sometime. It's a completely different world. My eyes were opened(plus it's a lot warmer down there). Highlights of my trip were partying with the band U.S., renowned for their cover of classic 80s tunes, and eating at Sonny's BBQ, which is by all accounts the best BBQ in all of the south. The walls were plywood and the parking lot was gravel but man was that good BBQ. Can't wait for opening day!

This year the SoxFest Surprise was the signing of Aaron Rowand to a 2-year contract extension.

MrRoboto83
01-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I was stuck working the entire weekend, but I did enjoy listening to the broadcasts. I think it must of been the sound of Willsy and Rooney's voice on Saturday when I was dreaming it was summer time. I miss baseball!!!

Let's get this season going!! Can't wait for March!

34 Inch Stick
01-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I went and I have to ask, why does everyone get so excited about the event. It's long lines for autographs for players I would not walk across the street to see. There are no real novelties for sale. I just don't get it. I would go if I received free tickets (as I did this time), but would never put out too much money or effort to get there.

SouthSideHitman
01-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I went and I have to ask, why does everyone get so excited about the event. It's long lines for autographs for players I would not walk across the street to see. There are no real novelties for sale. I just don't get it. I would go if I received free tickets (as I did this time), but would never put out too much money or effort to get there.

Because it's a chance to get back into the feel of baseball. Myself, I"ve never done the autograph thing (although I could see the appeal for collectors of Soxomobilia), I just do the panels and walk the floor. It's a chance for my dad and I to gauge what the team has done over the offeseason, and therefore how excited we should be as well as to just talk about baseball. I also see if there's any Sox-era Robin Ventura cards that I've missed (none yet).

Sadly, I too wasn't able to go as my dad was out of town. I was going to go on Saturday anyway but after a long, celabratory friday night after my last high school finals, let's just say that without someone pulling off the covers, there was no way I was gonna be up before noon. And Sunday was church, sigh, my last Soxfest before college. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make up for it with a few more games.

Palehose Pete
01-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I wanted to make it to SoxFest, too, but my girlfriend's grandfather passed away after a bout with Alzheimer's and I decided that SoxFest could definitely wait until next year while I attended his wake and funeral. Sorry, didn't mean for that to be a downer, if it was to anyone. I did hear some interviews on the radio is my car while traveling back forth between my home and my girlfriend's house, and I liked excitement that I heard.

Hangar18
01-17-2005, 01:23 PM

For me, taking the Kids and for them to meet the players is awesome.
I also use it as an excuse to get a new jersey or something for myself
as a late xmas present, bummed wanted the Gray 83 jersey, but
TripleThreat wasnt there this year. Also, great to meet all of the
posters here and drink beers and reminisce and just a chance to talk
to some of the most Knowledgable, most Passionate fans in sports.

I also like it because I get to interact with the players, something one
wouldnt get to do on a normal basis. Talking to Carl Everett, I
mentioned that he has been here long enough, and knows SOX FANS
are pretty hardcore and into it, and he shook his head and said he
agreed, but then he said "yeah, but y'all also the ones that booed us
off the field that one time" and I explained to him to look past the booing
the fans were frustrated and it isnt necessarily to them personally, but
to the whole situation. I asked him to realize how Frustrated we get,
esp when the other team up north gets ALL of the media attention, ALL
of the Love, ALL of the respect and they dont deserve it, he shook
his head and said I was right and he aggreed to a point.
That to me is worth the time to come down to SoxFest :smile:

Brian26
01-17-2005, 01:48 PM

Wow. What a party pooper. I've always found it to be a great time. I just loving being around so many Sox fans at one time. It's like a giant pep rally. Lots of camaraderie.

Saturday this year was extremely crowded, and maybe that was the day you went. I'd suggest checking out Friday night or Sunday afternoon sometime. It's a lot more mellow those days.

SoxxoS
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm basking in the 80 degree rays...(sorry guys, I heard it was 5 degrees today and had to say something)...

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm basking in the 80 degree rays...(sorry guys, I heard it was 5 degrees today and had to say something)...

Yes, but we appreciate the warmth more when it returns...:D:

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Probably because I haven't been there since I was 4 and being in a building with a large number of Sox fans is like heaven for me.

Fungo
01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
This year the SoxFest Surprise was the signing of Aaron Rowand to a 2-year contract extension.
The real big news comes next weekend when the Sox announce the signing of Tadahito Iguchi as Kenny tries to steal the spotlight away from the cubs convention.

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 02:45 PM
The real big news comes next weekend when the Sox announce the signing of Tadahito Iguchi as Kenny tries to steal the spotlight away from the cubs convention.
Shouldn't that be in deep pink?

MikeW
01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
I would love to do Sox Fest, but I live on the East Coast. With kids it could get expensive getting there and finding a place to stay. I will be there in August for vacation..

mike squires
01-17-2005, 10:57 PM
I've mentioned it on here probably 100 times but I'll say it again...I'm broke and I don't have any interest in my one yea old daughter surrounded by a million noisy people. Nothing against Sox fans...you know what I mean. But to the grumpyoldman in the earlier post...Because Soxfest is cool. Yeah, I hate the long lines too but it makes my shelves look updated with new autographs, bobble heads etc...It's looking over the other side of the elevator while you're going down and see Minnie Minnoso going up...It's going out to dinner and seeing John Garland walk in and sit just a few tables down from you...It's hearing all the cool stories Hawk has to tell during the seminars...IT's having to make a decision of either getting on an empty elevator with Wilbur Wood or getting your pic with Minnoso on a deserted floor. (I picked Minnie) It's telling Harold Baines about he homerun he hit against Boston in 83 (my first game) and the Bulls roofshot on the same day and realizing Harold doesn't really care, but you don't care because you are talking to Harold Baines...I could go on and on...

Nick@Nite
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
No time.
No money.
No Soxfest.

Wait 'till next year.

34 Inch Stick
01-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I've mentioned it on here probably 100 times but I'll say it again...I'm broke and I don't have any interest in my one yea old daughter surrounded by a million noisy people. Nothing against Sox fans...you know what I mean. But to the grumpyoldman in the earlier post...Because Soxfest is cool. Yeah, I hate the long lines too but it makes my shelves look updated with new autographs, bobble heads etc...It's looking over the other side of the elevator while you're going down and see Minnie Minnoso going up...It's going out to dinner and seeing John Garland walk in and sit just a few tables down from you...It's hearing all the cool stories Hawk has to tell during the seminars...IT's having to make a decision of either getting on an empty elevator with Wilbur Wood or getting your pic with Minnoso on a deserted floor. (I picked Minnie) It's telling Harold Baines about he homerun he hit against Boston in 83 (my first game) and the Bulls roofshot on the same day and realizing Harold doesn't really care, but you don't care because you are talking to Harold Baines...I could go on and on...

You could have just said jock sniffing and saved the bandwidth.

This is what I thought the attraction was. I guess it's just not my thing. I have no problem with other people doing it. It's good clean fun. It just has a little bit of a Trekkie convention feel to it.

petekat
01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Did you and Crazy Carl get to talk dinosaurs?

Talking to Carl Everett, I
mentioned that he has been here long enough, and knows SOX FANS
are pretty hardcore and into it, and he shook his head and said he
agreed, but then he said "yeah, but y'all also the ones that booed us
off the field that one time" and I explained to him to look past the booing
the fans were frustrated and it isnt necessarily to them personally, but
to the whole situation. I asked him to realize how Frustrated we get,
esp when the other team up north gets ALL of the media attention, ALL
of the Love, ALL of the respect and they dont deserve it, he shook
his head and said I was right and he aggreed to a point.
That to me is worth the time to come down to SoxFest :smile:

petekat
01-18-2005, 08:31 PM
that or the Mr. Belvidere fan club (from Sat night live) comes to mind.

Agree that it's a great opportunity to go to seminars, meet other fans, and talk to some of the personalities informally. The obsessing over autographs and the long lines are a bit much though

You could have just said jock sniffing and saved the bandwidth.

This is what I thought the attraction was. I guess it's just not my thing. I have no problem with other people doing it. It's good clean fun. It just has a little bit of a Trekkie convention feel to it.

Gosox1917
01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Didn't get to go because I'm a poor college kid and don't have a car since I'm a freshman on campus. It's the rules. O well, wait til next year.