PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about our uniforms?

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok, this poll shouldn't be too confusing

Shingotime!!
01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Thats better

HomeFish
01-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I really don't care for the away uniform. I know they are supposed to suck, but I just don't see anything redeeming in them. They're gray and dull.

Then again, what team has a good away jersey?

MUsoxfan
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
I really don't care for the away uniform. I know they are supposed to suck, but I just don't see anything redeeming in them. They're gray and dull.

Then again, what team has a good away jersey?

I happen to love the away uniform. I just purchased one a few weeks ago

Jerome
01-16-2005, 11:32 PM
I like our uniforms, but really like a lot of our old ones too. We should have a lot of retro jersey days, like 10 per season.

HomeFish
01-17-2005, 12:22 AM

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but what do you find appealing about it? I simply don't find anything in it that is inspiring in any way.

FightingBillini
01-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but what do you find appealing about it? I simply don't find anything in it that is inspiring in any way.

The very classy "Chicago" in script, the cuff that also runs down the pants, the diamond sock logo on the sleeve...

The best thing about our uniform is that is look natural, its in our color scheme. Every team has gray uniforms, but most teams dont have gray as one of their colors. We have unis in our three colors, white, grey, and black.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
The very classy "Chicago" in script, the cuff that also runs down the pants, the diamond sock logo on the sleeve...

The best thing about our uniform is that is look natural, its in our color scheme. Every team has gray uniforms, but most teams dont have gray as one of their colors. We have unis in our three colors, white, grey, and black.

Exactly. The black script across the gray jersey is very classy looking and the diamond on the sleeve is probably the nicest patch of any team in baseball

HomeFish
01-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Well, I'll take another look at the away jersey next time I'm at the cell.

I actually may be interested in getting one. I want something that says "Chicago" across the front that would allow me to "represent", so to speak, when I am out of town. A Sox away jersey would be ideal, but, as I said before, they look sort of dull for my tastes.

jabrch
01-17-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm convinced Homefish would bitch about the taxes he'd have to pay if he won the 130mm megamillions jackpot.

doublem23
01-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Exactly. The black script across the gray jersey is very classy looking and the diamond on the sleeve is probably the nicest patch of any team in baseball

Agreed. The Sox's road grays are a very classy look. I don't like baseball jerseys that have a lot of bells and whistles, and the "Chicago" script across the chest is simple and solid.

The current Sox uniforms are still awesome and are in no need of changing. I think they were the black tops too much now, but if that's the biggest sin, then so be it. I've said this before, but the only change I'd make to the Sox's uniforms right now are I'd make the button on top of the Sox's hat white and I would introduce a new, alternative/Sunday hat; one that has a black S-O-X on a white background. I was at the Lids in the HIP a week or so ago and they now sell one like I described and it does look solid.

The only reason I'd like to not see that happen is that the Sox have traditionally been innovators in terms of uniforms and uniform design and a lot of teams have those alternative hats and I'd hate to see the Sox become a follower and not an innovator.

Our uniforms are great. No need to change 'em.

mweflen
01-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Count me as another in favor of the road grays. Love em. The script is SUPER classy, and the color scheme just looks so good. Agreed that it's natural with our team color scheme in general.

Have you seen how silly some other teams' road grays look? Toronto springs to mind.

I wish we'd do away with the black alternates for a while and do something else for an alternate.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
The only people who ought to be clamoring for a new Sox uniform are memorabilia shop owners. These are the best Sox uniforms in at least 35 years.

Anyone clamoring for a return of the '82 "Astros wannebe" pullovers needs to visit the memorabilia shops (see above), rip some cheesy pop rap cd's, settle into their bean bag chair with their iPod and get over it already. That uniform sucked. That's why it was retired after five measly seasons.

Irishsox1
01-17-2005, 09:45 AM
The only thing that White Sox lead the MLB in is uniform changes. Since the White Sox switched to Black, Grey and White, I've never been happier with the Sox uniforms. I don't mind the retro jerseys every once in a while, but the current home and away jerseys are great.

nlentz88
01-17-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the Sox have fine uniforms. The script fonts, pin-stripes, and color scheme all evoke a classic, timeless style.

I would make one change, though, if I had the authority to do so. I would ditch the uniforms consisting of the pin-striped vest over the black undershirt. I never really understood why they wear these. Vests are dorky.

TheBull19
01-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I'd like to change just one thing about the road uniforms- the cursive script 'Chicago' to the script from the navy '78-81? road uniforms, but otherwise exactly the same.

MrRoboto83
01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
I like the uniforms just the way they are, i would only be for maybe a special Sunday promo day again with a retro look perhaps 1959 Sox

FightingBillini
01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I think the Sox have fine uniforms. The script fonts, pin-stripes, and color scheme all evoke a classic, timeless style.

I would make one change, though, if I had the authority to do so. I would ditch the uniforms consisting of the pin-striped vest over the black undershirt. I never really understood why they wear these. Vests are dorky.

I actually really liked when we wore vests. I thought it was a classy look, a throwback to the 40s and 50s (though the Sox didnt wear them then to my knowledge). Our current jerseys are not vests anymore. The home alt jerseys are normal home jerseys with attached black sleeves. To me, that is really dumb. I think they should either bring the vests back or ditch this jersey alltogether. I talked to the guy an grandstand and he said the players didnt like them because they were itchy or something like that. I dont know how that could be true, players wear team undershirts under their jerseys anyway. Also, I havent heard the reds or pirates complaining about their uniforms. In the last few years, the rangers, angels, d-rays, and indians got new vests. Maybe that guy didnt know the whole story, but if the Sox arent going to do it right and have an actual vest, they should eliminate it.

chisox2005
01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Bring back the shorts

Nick@Nite
01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
I can't stand the vest's, regardless of which team is wearing them.

RustyKuntz
01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd REALLY like to see the White Sox actually wear white socks. Like the 1919 uniforms.

It would give the Sox something unique.

SouthSideHitman
01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
The Sox' uniforms are great, although I agree that they should ditch the faux vests and either do nothing or have an actual undershirt. I heard that they changed it after 2001 because the players were too hot with the undershirts. I also think the road uniform is great. Every other team's road unie doesn't work because grey just doesn't go with any color scheme... except black and white. Grey/silver is one of the team colors, which just makes the whole thing work.

The one other thing that bothers me is the lack of a patch on the home pinstripes. It used to have the New Comiskey patch, but since they sold the name, they've replaced that patch with... nothing. They should either slap the old "sock in a diamond" patch seen on the other jerseys on to it, or ideally, design a new patch. I think the new patch should bring back the flying sock design from the early fifties and this very website.

MarkM2112
01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
The Sox' uniforms are great, although I agree that they should ditch the faux vests and either do nothing or have an actual undershirt. I heard that they changed it after 2001 because the players were too hot with the undershirts. I also think the road uniform is great. Every other team's road unie doesn't work because grey just doesn't go with any color scheme... except black and white. Grey/silver is one of the team colors, which just makes the whole thing work.

The one other thing that bothers me is the lack of a patch on the home pinstripes. It used to have the New Comiskey patch, but since they sold the name, they've replaced that patch with... nothing. They should either slap the old "sock in a diamond" patch seen on the other jerseys on to it, or ideally, design a new patch. I think the new patch should bring back the flying sock design from the early fifties and this very website.

I agree with this 100%! If the home uniforms had the Diamond-Sock patch, they would be perfect! The current road uniform is currently the best looking road uni in the majors, and quite possibly the best of all time!

Brian26
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
The uniforms are perfect. Don't change a thing!

The Critic
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I love the uniforms.
The only two changes I'd make or would have made are:

1 An alternate cap with the diamond sock logo

2 I'd have used the diamond sock logo on the black alternate jersey, and put the script Sox on the shoulder.

I love the diamond sock ( as if you couldn't tell ) and I think it's underutilized.

zach074
01-17-2005, 04:50 PM

I happen to love them as well, and the coats that look like them also.

zach074
01-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Bring back the shorts

Please tell me you dont know about teal. Teal is used for sarcasim.

:welcome:

SpringfldFan
01-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd like to change just one thing about the road uniforms- the cursive script 'Chicago' to the script from the navy '78-81? road uniforms, but otherwise exactly the same.

I think that would look rather nice also. However, if they did that now they would look an awful lot like the Red Sox away jerseys, since they use a similar old west type of font now.

LT

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 05:12 PM
This is the most lopsided poll I ever recall seeing on this site.

Realist
01-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I voted for a change, but I wish only for a slight change. I'd like to see that little hint of red added to the jerseys around the Sox logo like it was on the '59 team's uniforms.

C-Dawg
01-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I love the diamond sock ( as if you couldn't tell ) and I think it's underutilized.

I agree - Its a great logo!

seththesock1
01-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Is it just me or is any other sox fans want to see our team in new threads? Give us a new look, like go back to our old logo from 1917 and old colors of navy blue and dark grey. Any one agree or have ideas?

:dtroll: :marilyn

seththesock1
01-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Is it just me or is any other sox fans want to see our team in new threads? Give us a new look, like go back to our old logo from 1917 and old colors of navy blue and dark grey. Any one agree or have ideas?

:dtroll: :capone

Whitesox029
01-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Is it just me or is any other socks fans want to see our team in new threads?

You mean Sox fans?

chisoxmike
01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
No. Keep em.

fed ex 4 pasqua
01-17-2005, 07:59 PM
buy a retro jersey and enjoy 12 years of consistancy.

seththesock1
01-17-2005, 08:05 PM
If you think the sox uniforms(home or away) are awesome, your a joke! They are to plain and are to modern(to 90's) We should have a uniform based of the 1920's uniform(navy blue and grey) and the old large s logo with o and x inside it , but with a modern mix. Also, we are the white sox so lets have white sox!

redandwhite
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I love the White Sox uniforms. On top of that, the cursive written "Chicago" on the away jersey is my favorite logo in sports. I love them.

Hitmen77
01-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Aside from minor tweaks, I'm puzzled why the topic of the Sox needing new uniforms keeps coming up. The current uniforms are great!

Are you guys all to young to remember the pre-1991 uniform era to appreciate how good we have it? When I was growing up during the dark ages of Sox uniform design - the 70s and 80s, the Sox went through a period of frequent uniform changes and many of the designs were embarassingly bad or bland. As a Sox fan, I had to put up with endless ridicule from Cub fans because Sox uniforms were such a joke. We went from "pajama" uniforms to tacky Astros-ripoff uniforms to a superbland design with a Campbell Soup looking logo on the cap. It's hard to take a team seriously when you can't keep track of their logos, colors, and uniforms and then can't stop ridiculing their uniforms.

Then, in 1990, the Sox announced that they were going back to their classic uniform design from the 50s with the pinstripes, the black and white color scheme and the old English Sox logo. Wow! It was like a dream come true! I couldn't believe it - the Sox actually had great uniforms with an awesome logo. And on top of that, the Flubs made some stupid looking uniform changes by adding that ugly baby bear logo and that generic road uniform.

I think some of you guys that are complaining about the Sox uniforms don't know how good we have it. The only thing I'd change would be to add another color to our color scheme - perhaps the red underlying the black and white from the 50s.

SadChiSoxFan
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
My favorite hat is the 59 version.

I say go back to the last World Series Sox uniforms, but bring them into the new millenium...maybe, drop the stripes in the game socks (we never see anyway.)

The 59 Sox unis were classic and very similar to the current versions, but the color a very dark navy with a bit of red. :cool:

Not like today's version of Raiders silver/black crap appealing to the ghetto gang bangers.

59 was classic, timeless baseball with real color.

That's my vote!

Brian26
01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Then, in 1990, the Sox announced that they were going back to their classic uniform design from the 50s with the pinstripes, the black and white color scheme and the old English Sox logo. Wow! It was like a dream come true! I couldn't believe it - the Sox actually had great uniforms with an awesome logo.

Yep. I'll never forget when I saw Paciorek interviewing Torborg while Jeff was wearing the new road jersey on the infield of Old Comiskey during the summer of 1990. Then they showed the press conference with Ozzie and Fisk wearing the new threads. Torborg, even then, talked about how classy the uniform looked, especially with the diamond sock logo. I couldn't wait until '91 to see the unis everyday. And then, amazingly, they decided to start wearing them for the end of the 1990 season. An awesome time in Sox history!

batmanZoSo
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Aside from minor tweaks that I think would be nice, such as numbers on the sleeves, a silver billed cap on the road, and piping instead of stripes on the road pants, our uniforms are fine. I don't think there should ever be a major overhaul again. We have the classic logo that has some history to it, and we finally have the right colors. We had our fun with the blue and red garbage.

Nick@Nite
01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Yep. I'll never forget when I saw Paciorek interviewing Torborg while Jeff was wearing the new road jersey on the infield of Old Comiskey during the summer of 1990. Then they showed the press conference with Ozzie and Fisk wearing the new threads. Torborg, even then, talked about how classy the uniform looked, especially with the diamond sock logo. I couldn't wait until '91 to see the unis everyday. And then, amazingly, they decided to start wearing them for the end of the 1990 season. An awesome time in Sox history!

I'm glad you posted that. I always thought I remembered 1990 as having the current uniform design, but previous articles and/or and posts always referenced the other uniform design... the design they wore starting the 1990 season... and I thought I was just going nuts. :smile:

zach074
01-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Am I the only one who is sick of these new uniforms threads?

JUribe1989
01-17-2005, 09:09 PM
I love our jerseys now. They are way better than that other drunker side of town.

DVsoxfan
01-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Am I the only one who is sick of these new uniforms threads?

No, I am too

zach074
01-17-2005, 09:11 PM
I think everyone has been watching a little too much queer eye for the straight guy.:?:

FightingBillini
01-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I only stated this thread to put to rest all this stuff people are saying about "we need new uniforms". They may still want them, but maybe they will shut up when they realize 9 out of 10 sox fans dont. I personally think that our uniforms are the best in all of baseball.

I actually started this thread because the thread Takatsufan started had a midleading poll question, which lead to very different results than this one.

wsbaseball9
01-17-2005, 10:22 PM
I really like the alternate jerseys...but the home pinstripes will always be my favorite

nccwsfan
01-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Among the best uniforms in the majors! No way should they be changed. I agree with those that think the vests should go, and I would wear the black jersey a little more often, but no way should the unis or hats be changed!!!!

Takatsufan
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I really feel we should add more color to the uniform. I mean when you look at the history of our unifom, except for current times, the uniform has never been all black and gray. We should add some red and blue like in the 10's,20's,30's,40's,50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's

FedEx227
01-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Keep Em, they are the best in the majors, simple but effective, no need for a change at all.

darklord23
01-18-2005, 08:25 PM
home pin stripes its a classic you cant get rid of the pin stripes they are just to good

kraut83
01-19-2005, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]the '82 "Astros wannebe"QUOTE]

The only reason I like these is the memories of my first games as a kid that go along with them. I still wouldn't do a thing to the current uni's though. The road gray are by far my favorite!

JKryl
01-19-2005, 09:29 AM
I really feel we should add more color to the uniform. I mean when you look at the history of our unifom, except for current times, the uniform has never been all black and gray. We should add some red and blue like in the 10's,20's,30's,40's,50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's

Absolutely! Black and grey = boring. Spice up the uniforms, spice up the game. As for all the pinstripe lovers, they have red pin stripes too.

calderon
01-19-2005, 10:16 AM
don't change em' they're great.

Hitmen77
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Speaking of uniform changes, I saw that it was a rather prominant story in the Trib (online) and on WGN news last night that the beloved Cubbies are taking the players names off their jerseys. This was reported as a news story separate from the sports segment on Channel 9. If I'm not mistaken, the Trib online also listed this story as a "news item" apart from its sports section. Gimme a break! If the Sox were to totally change their uniforms, you know it would only get a 10 second mention at the very end of the sports segment.

My apologies for steering this thread to the topic of "media watch", but this endless fawning over everything little thing about the Cubs is sickening!!!

Nixey 02
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Speaking of uniform changes, I saw that it was a rather prominant story in the Trib (online) and on WGN news last night that the beloved Cubbies are taking the players names off their jerseys. This was reported as a news story separate from the sports segment on Channel 9. If I'm not mistaken, the Trib online also listed this story as a "news item" apart from its sports section. Gimme a break! If the Sox were to totally change their uniforms, you know it would only get a 10 second mention at the very end of the sports segment.

My apologies for steering this thread to the topic of "media watch", but this endless fawning over everything little thing about the Cubs is sickening!!!

Yes, the Trib online included this as a news story (apart from sports). To call it a "slow newsday" would be an understatement.

That being said, names DO NOT belong on the back of pinstripe uniforms. The only change to the existing Sox uni's would be a return to the pre-'94-strike nameless (on the back) home jerseys. jmo :smile:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2005, 04:35 PM
I think everyone has been watching a little too much queer eye for the straight guy.:?:

LMAO!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
The uni's are fine, just take the names
off the backs of the uniforms.

twsoxfan5
01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
If you think the sox uniforms(home or away) are awesome, your a joke! They are to plain and are to modern(to 90's) We should have a uniform based of the 1920's uniform(navy blue and grey) and the old large s logo with o and x inside it , but with a modern mix. Also, we are the white sox so lets have white sox!

When yelling at people about thier opinions and calling them jokes b/c they like the current uniforms, always remember that it is best to use proper grammer. When you want to say that something is too plain and too modern you might want to use the right form of to, as I did here. If not you end up looking like a fool rather than the tough guy you intended to look like.

C-Dawg
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM
When yelling at people about thier opinions and calling them jokes b/c they like the current uniforms, always remember that it is best to use proper grammer. When you want to say that something is too plain and too modern you might want to use the right form of to, as I did here. If not you end up looking like a fool rather than the tough guy you intended to look like.

Well said! Internet slang is SO 90s!!

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
(Mumbling to self) Just let it go. Don't say a word. You've been told that no one wants to hear it, so let it go. Pretend it isn't happening.