PDA

View Full Version : Endless speculation: who is leaving Sox media corps?

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:31 PM
A week or two ago Grobber posted something about a possible change in makeup of Sox broadcasts with the possibility of one of the broadcasters leaving. Like him, I won't name names, but I did some snooping at SoxFest, and as usual he was right on the money.

As usual, Grobber was right on the money. Right now the person involved has not been hired by the other team. I've been told he will be interviewing with them later this week.

Edit: IT WAS LIP! I APOLOGIZE!!!!! My memory the content is a helluvalot better than my memory of the source!!!!!

zach074
01-16-2005, 08:33 PM
A week or two ago Grobber posted something about a possible change in makeup of Sox broadcasts with the possibility of one of the broadcasters leaving. Like him, I won't name names, but I did some snooping at SoxFest, and as usual he was right on the money.

As usual, Grobber was right on the money. Right now the person involved has not been hired by the other team. I've been told he will be interviewing with them later this week.

Please not Hawk.:whiner:

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Please not Hawk.:whiner:
I think it's DJ...but I asked around the comcast booth and they think dj will be in the booth, but they do not have final say.....also, there may or may not be a pregame show....
Gene

Shingotime!!
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Steve Stone :rolleyes:

chisoxmike
01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Maybe DJ since he wasn't at SoxFest, Hawk wouldn't leave. I think Hawk even said see you April 4 after the seminars

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Didn't Lip mention this too? Wow. Wonder who it could be.

pearso66
01-16-2005, 08:37 PM
He never specified it was in TV broadcasts, maybe one of the radio guys is leaving?

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Oops...I think it was Lip...Mod...could you change the title?

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Wasn't it Hawk with the Devil Rays that Grobber was talking about?

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:40 PM

The Rays are the team. Now someone help me because I'm getting totally confused. Who posted it...Grobber or Lip????? Can anybody tell I'm an auditory learner????

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Fenway started the thread about Hawk and the D-Rays

gobears1987
01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Given how Hawk was acting at Soxfest I'd say it isn't him. He was looking very forward to seeing this team so it isn't him.

zach074
01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
The Rays are the team. Now someone help me because I'm getting totally confused. Who posted it...Grobber or Lip????? Can anybody tell I'm an auditory learner????

Why can't you tell us who it is?

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:43 PM

Hal-

I'm 100% sure it was Lip.

He just said it was someone affiliated with Sox broadcasts. So, not counting Melton, it's one of five people: Hawk, DJ, Rooney, Farmer, or Wills.

We know Wills has interviewed for radio gigs with other teams (didn't he try Kansas City a year or two ago?)

Here's my educated guess, and I don't have anything to back this up:

It's either DJ or Wills. I don't think Rooney wants to leave (his kids are in school in the suburbs). Hawk is too much tied to this organization. Farmer isn't going anywhere.

zach074
01-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hal-

He just said it was someone affiliated with Sox broadcasts. So, not counting Melton, it's one of five people: Hawk, DJ, Rooney, Farmer, or Wills.

We know Wills has interviewed for radio gigs with other teams (didn't he try Kansas City a year or two ago?)

It's either DJ or Wills. I don't think Rooney wants to leave (his kids are in school in the suburbs). Hawk is too much tied to this organization. Farmer isn't going anywhere.

I hope your right those are the guys I wouldn't really care if they left.

beckett21
01-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Hal-

My guess would be Wills too, since I remember the KC interview you are talking about. He really wants to do play-by-play IIRC.

I would miss him a lot.

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Why can't you tell us who it is?

Because he doesn't have the job yet, and if it were me, I wouldn't like it if someone told my students that I was considering changing jobs.

santo=dorf

I could've sworn it was Grobber too. :?:

BTW, if you edit your original post, you can edit the title yourself.

Brian26
Willsy does a nice job on the radio. I'd hate to see him go. However, to be honest, he's probably the easiest guy of the five I listed to actually replace.

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:50 PM
I could've sworn it was Grobber too. :?:

I did not know that. I tried to once a long time ago and couldn't, but I don't remember when or why.

beckett21
01-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Willsy does a nice job on the radio. I'd hate to see him go. However, to be honest, he's probably the easiest guy of the five I listed to actually replace.

I know it's all speculation anyway. I just really like Willsy's style. But if he (or whoever, for that matter) has an opportunity for a better job, godspeed.

Daver
01-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Dave Wills is not employed by the Chicago White Sox.

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I did not know that. I tried to once a long time ago and couldn't, but I don't remember when or why.

Yeah, I just did it on the test board.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=575675#post575675

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I know it's all speculation anyway. I just really like Willsy's style. But if he (or whoever, for that matter) has an opportunity for a better job, godspeed.

Oh yeah, I agree. If he can do something he loves and provide for his family, that would be great.

I'd hate to see him go. He does a terrific job on the pre and post-game shows on the radio, and he's a great fill-in when Farmio can't travel to Toronto because of SARS. :D:

Erik The Red
01-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Correct, he is employed by ESPN. I think they were talking about people that were involved in Sox broadcasts, though, and not necessarily ones employed directly by the Sox.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM

Moot point. Lip said someone who was affiliated with White Sox broadcasts might be leaving.

Actually, the more I think about that, the unique wording by Lip to say "affiliated with Sox broadcasts" points more and more towards Willsy.

Erik The Red
01-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I think, if someone replies to your thread, you lose the ability to change the title. At least it works that way with other boards I've posted on that use vBulletin.

BTW, the title that you changed on that thread on the test board has not changed on the thread listing.

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I think, if someone replies to your thread, you lose the ability to change the title. At least it works that way with other boards I've posted on that use vBulletin.

BTW, the title that you changed on that thread on the test board has not changed on the thread listing.

Yeah I just noticed that. Your explanation seems to make sense.

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Given how Hawk was acting at Soxfest I'd say it isn't him. He was looking very forward to seeing this team so it isn't him.

Hawk is a company man. He is not going to tip his hand before something happens.

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Hal-

I wish it was Farmer. I can't stand him.

MUsoxfan
01-16-2005, 09:30 PM
I wish it was Farmer. I can't stand him.

He's why I turn down the TV and listen to the radio alot of the time

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah, I agree. If he can do something he loves and provide for his family, that would be great.

I'd hate to see him go. He does a terrific job on the pre and post-game shows on the radio, and he's a great fill-in when Farmio can't travel to Toronto because of SARS. :D:

Does Farmio really not travel to Toronto because of SARS?

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 09:31 PM
He's why I turn down the TV and listen to the radio alot of the time

I just can't take him sometimes. He thinks he is awesome and was the best to ever play the game.

MUsoxfan
01-16-2005, 09:32 PM

I don't think that Farmer really cares for our neighbors up north all that much

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Fenway started the thread about Hawk and the D-Rays

Yeah you are right now. I went back and found the post.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Fenway started the post. I jumped in after I was contacted by the individual who may be leaving. This individual asked me if I knew any of the media in the Tampa Bay / St. Pete area that they could contact to try to gather more information.

I simply confirmed that a member of the Sox broadcasts could be leaving but like Hal I'm not at liberty yet to tell you who it is that is being considered.

What I can say if that this individual is now one of the finalist...I'm assuming that's why they are going to Florida for a face to face interview.

I consider this person a good friend and while I would be sorry to see them leave Chicago, how many individuals get the chance to be involved in broadcasts surrounding MLB teams?

We'll see what happens.

Lip

Mickster
01-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Fenway started the post. I jumped in after I was contacted by the individual who may be leaving. This individual asked me if I knew any of the media in the Tampa Bay / St. Pete area that they could contact to try to gather more information.

I simply confirmed that a member of the Sox broadcasts could be leaving but like Hal I'm not at liberty yet to tell you who it is that is being considered.

What I can say if that this individual is now one of the finalist...I'm assuming that's why they are going to Florida for a face to face interview.

I consider this person a good friend and while I would be sorry to see them leave Chicago, how many individuals get the chance to be involved in broadcasts surrounding MLB teams?

We'll see what happens.

Lip

Wills. Plain and simple.

JDsDirtySox
01-16-2005, 09:46 PM
So have we confirmed whether this is a TV or Radio opening?

gobears1987
01-16-2005, 09:51 PM

We'll see what happens.

Lip
Rules out Rooney, Farmer, Hawk or DJ

SpammySosa
01-16-2005, 09:57 PM
To answer a question on a few other threads: On Friday someone in front of me asked Hawk why DJ wasn't there and he said because him and his wife just had a baby.

gobears1987
01-16-2005, 10:01 PM
To answer a question on a few other threads: On Friday someone in front of me asked Hawk why DJ wasn't there and he said because him and his wife just had a baby.
that's a good reason. Congrats DJ!

Brian26
01-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Rules out Rooney, Farmer, Hawk or DJ

LOL. Exactly. Lip just gave it away. Geez. "How many people get a chance."

Let's wish Willsy good luck. Man, talk about a dump to broadcast games from though.

lths06
01-16-2005, 10:09 PM
IF this is true, who would take over Wills' job? I would definetly miss him.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
IF this is true, who would take over Wills' job? I would definetly miss him.

Who's the Sox fan, Silvy or Carmen? Maybe Chris Bodin (it's been reported he a Cubs fan)? Jeff Dickenson? Chet Coppock? :D:

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Brian:

Depends on your definition of 'being involved in broadcasts' doesn't it? My comment wasn't implying that it would be someone's first time or if they have been doing it for a number of years...just being a member of that exclusive club in any capacity.

I think you are reading a mite to much into the comment.

Lip

soltrain21
01-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Boden was on Fox news today during halftime of the Eagles game.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Brian:

Depends on your definition of 'being involved in broadcasts' doesn't it? My comment wasn't implying that it would be someone's first time or if they have been doing it for a number of years...just being a member of that exclusive club in any capacity.

I think you are reading a mite to much into the comment.

Lip

Well, other than the five people listed above, who else could it possibly be?

Really, here's what gave it away for me:

I consider this person a good friend and while I would be sorry to see them leave Chicago, how many individuals get the chance to be involved in broadcasts surrounding MLB team?

It seems like you wouldn't have said "how many individuals get the chance to be involved in broadcasts surround MLB team" if someone already had a job like that (i.e. Hawk, DJ, Rooney, or Farmer). That comment is directed towards someone trying to break into the field (i.e. Willsy).

In addition, you interviewed Wills recently, where he mentioned that he interviewed for the KC radio gig.

In addition, and don't take this the wrong way, but I just can't imagine Hawk giving you a call to get info on Tampa Bay. If anything, he'd call one of his buddies who live down there on the golf courses, or even Piniella.

DMarte708
01-16-2005, 11:06 PM
If Wills is the Sox broadcaster seeking another job, I wish him the best of luck.

Wills likely feels (to some degree) that this decision will upset White Sox fans. Disappointed; surely, but if Tampa Bay provides the stepping stone to becoming a TV broadcaster Willsy should move onward. Any organization besides the Cubs is fine with me. :redneck

Perhaps one day his career will bring him back to the South Side of Chicago.

petekat
01-16-2005, 11:16 PM
hope it's farmer!

Hal-

Jerome
01-16-2005, 11:39 PM

Carmen DiFalco!

Rocklive99
01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
But what about the dancing Flames?

I don't get why so many people hate Farmer, I think Rooney and Farmer are the best in sports, obviosuly everyone has different tastes/opinions, but I like to listen to them

Jjav829
01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
I hope Willsy doesn't leave. I actually started listening to Sox pre and post-game shows on ESPN1000 just because of him. I want another full season of "Nnneeeeeeeeeeexxxxtttt!":D:

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 12:51 AM
I want another full season of "Nnneeeeeeeeeeexxxxtttt!":D:

Dammit! I forgot about that! I don't want anyone to leave. That "Nnneeeeeeeeexxxttttttt!" is awesome and is a great lead-in to Thunderstruck.

JUribe1989
01-17-2005, 12:58 AM
I would think that it has to be DJ. He was the only one of all those people who weren't at Soxfest. He has feuded with Hawk off the air (even if they are minor) and the Sox have to be disappointed in his "analysis."

Rocklive99
01-17-2005, 01:00 AM
I would think that it has to be DJ. He was the only one of all those people who weren't at Soxfest. He has feuded with Hawk off the air (even if they are minor) and the Sox have to be disappointed in his "analysis."

I think it was stated earlier in this thread, but his wife just had a baby, and I think this thread implies that whoever it is is leaving on his own, not the Sox firing/forcing him out

ChiSoxRowand
01-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Who's the Sox fan, Silvy or Carmen? Maybe Chris Bodin (it's been reported he a Cubs fan)? Jeff Dickenson? Chet Coppock? :D:

Carmen is the Sox fan, and he would be my guess to take over. He already does Bulls pre and postgame.

pinwheels3530
01-17-2005, 04:04 AM
How about the one and only Hangar:D: he can do pre games, but probably won't make it through the game:gulp: :gulp: to do the post.

SSN721
01-17-2005, 07:57 AM
How about the one and only Hangar:D: he can do pre games, but probably won't make it through the game:gulp: :gulp: to do the post.

I dont knwo if I could handle that much negativity, especially after each Sox loss, it might drive me to start drinking a lot more, which isnt necessarily a good thing. :smile:

Clement's beard
01-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Wait a minute. If Wills is indeed the guy we are talking about here, is he going to be rooting AGAINST the Sox when they play the D-Rays? He would have to pull for the Rays, right?

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Wait a minute. If Wills is indeed the guy we are talking about here, is he going to be rooting AGAINST the Sox when they play the D-Rays? He would have to pull for the Rays, right?

I'm not sure where you got Wills and D-rays together, but anyone that left the Sox and became employed by another team would typically have to root for that employer....at least outwardly.

Clement's beard
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure where you got Wills and D-rays together, but anyone that left the Sox and became employed by another team would typically have to root for that employer....at least outwardly.

I could not do that. When you're a fan of a team, you don't change colors, EVER! As far as the connection to Wills and the rays, it has been discussed in this very thread.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I could not do that. When you're a fan of a team, you don't change colors, EVER! As far as the connection to Wills and the rays, it has been discussed in this very thread.

Without looking back, I thought the connection was Wills to KC and Hawk to the D-Rays. Regardless....Wills or whomever else are broadcasters. If a better career opportunity was elsewhere I don't see a reason for somebody not to move on. For instance, Wills only does pre/post shows for the most part and wants to be play-by-play. I doubt Rooney and the Hawk are going anywhere so he wouldn't get his play-by-play opportunity with the Sox. Because someone moves to a different organization to advance their career doesn't mean that they're not still a Sox fan or have even become a fan of the team they're working for. Wills will never go to a team like the Cubs though for his utter disdain for them, but if Kansas City offers him a job and a paycheck to match, there's no reason not to do it.

Clement's beard
01-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Without looking back, I thought the connection was Wills to KC and Hawk to the D-Rays. Regardless....Wills or whomever else are broadcasters. If a better career opportunity was elsewhere I don't see a reason for somebody not to move on. For instance, Wills only does pre/post shows for the most part and wants to be play-by-play. I doubt Rooney and the Hawk are going anywhere so he wouldn't get his play-by-play opportunity with the Sox. Because someone moves to a different organization to advance their career doesn't mean that they're not still a Sox fan or have even become a fan of the team they're working for. Wills will never go to a team like the Cubs though for his utter disdain for them, but if Kansas City offers him a job and a paycheck to match, there's no reason not to do it.

I still say I could not do it. Imagine if the team you left the Sox for ends up in the ALCS against the Sox. Then what do you do? Celebrate a rays title, while the team you love is knocked out of it? Paycheck or not, it would be very hard to do.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 01:12 PM
I still say I could not do it. Imagine if the team you left the Sox for ends up in the ALCS against the Sox. Then what do you do? Celebrate a rays title, while the team you love is knocked out of it? Paycheck or not, it would be very hard to do.

It would be hard, but it's something that would need to be done. I'll compare it to being a player. It's rare that a player gets to play for his favorite team. Say he's a Sox fan and plays for the Astros. The two teams are in the WS and while he's always been a Sox fan, his job is to beat them. Same idea

thepaulbowski
01-17-2005, 05:20 PM

It is also called being a professional.

dickallen15
01-17-2005, 08:04 PM
It has to be Wills. Why would anyone in the booth go from a job in Chicago to one with the D-Rays. Plus, Wills was right across the aisle from the pencil pull. I'll guarantee you that same job pays less in Tampa. Wills station will probably lose the White Sox gig soon, and he would be out of a job. I enjoy listening to him and hope he gets the job and does well in Tampa.

Brian26
01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Wills station will probably lose the White Sox gig soon, and he would be out of a job.

Actually, it appears AM 1000 is making an attempt to renew both the Sox and Bulls contracts. I bet the Sox stay right where they are.

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 11:02 AM

I already know who the person is ........He told me himself.
But not sure I can divulge, didnt seem like something to be talking about ......

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Thats what makes Mike Murphy look so bad to the profession of Radio Broadcasters and Journalists

Nellie=FalseFace
01-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Being professional? That's one thing no one could ever accuse Dave Wills of.

voodoochile
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM

This is your first contribution to WSI? :o:

Are you stupic or just a :dtroll:?

Mickster
01-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Are you stupic or just a :dtroll:?

Probably stupic. :tongue:

Brian26
01-18-2005, 12:02 PM
I already know who the person is ........He told me himself.
But not sure I can divulge, didnt seem like something to be talking about ......

Yeah, I think we all know it's Willsy now.

Loose LIPS sink ships.

Lizard
01-20-2005, 01:51 PM

How can you make an asinine comment like that? Do you know the guy? Do you know how hard he must works at his job? He has been doing radio a long time and loves it, and it shows in his broadcasts! I would like to see you try and do it. You would probably fall flat on your face...DRILLROD!

Lizard
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM

It's true! Farmio himself said it on the air. Because of his transplant years ago, his resistance isn't what it should be.

LauraJ14
01-23-2005, 03:25 PM
But what about the dancing Flames?

I don't get why so many people hate Farmer, I think Rooney and Farmer are the best in sports, obviosuly everyone has different tastes/opinions, but I like to listen to them

I can't stand Ed Farmer either, I have a problem with announcers that talk over each other. I don't know how many times I have heard Rooney doing the play by play and Ed will start talking while John is still talking and 9 times out of 10, the info has nothing to do with whats going on in the game. Since I only listen in the car, I don't have video to see what is going on. I think Farmer talks way too much about Notre Dame, golfing, when he was a scout etc.
I have found as I get older that I can't listen to Ed and his stories and even Hawk's stories get on my nerves especially Boston Red Sox related ones.
When I listen to the game, tell what is going on and especially on the radio, give me the score and inning!