PDA

View Full Version : Magg+Boras+Cubs = What's the Score, dude?

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought that when the subject of Magglio Ordonez's departure was brought up at a seminar, someone would rip him on how he left us. Interestingly, though, White Sox personnel took a very high road on the subject. When a woman complimented KW during the Saturday seminar on how he handled the Ordonez matter, KW said that if he ran into Ordonez in an ice cream parlor he would buy Ordonez ice cream. Hawk and Ozzie did not make any negative comments about Ordonez either. I think this was a good thing. Much as been said about Ordonez by me and others than has not been warm and fuzzy. Taking the high road only shows how much more right I believe the front office was on the issue.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately, Reinsdorf didn't show the same class when he said "We offered a fair contract, he should have accepted it, and he got what he deserved." With every day that passes and every comment of his I read, it occurs to me more and more that JR is scum.

Aside from JR, we have great people in the front office. Brooks Boyer has been a godsent. KW is a diligent worker, and has put together a very good team, working with what little money JR has given him. This franchise is on the rise.

jabrch
01-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately, Reinsdorf didn't show the same class when he said "We offered a fair contract, he should have accepted it, and he got what he deserved."

I agree with JR...

It may not have been the PC or even the NICE thing to say. It may not make him popular amongst players, FAs or even our team, but the Sox did offer Ordonez a fair contract. He should have, based on him constantly saying that he wanted to stay, accepted it. And ya know what - I'm happy to see a greedy player who turned down such a large contract end up now having to prove himself healthy if he ever is to get big bucks...

I don't wish injuries on anyone. I hope Magglio gets better. But he should have taken the Sox deal - and by passing it up, he is now paying the price.

mealfred13
01-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, Reinsdorf didn't show the same class when he said "We offered a fair contract, he should have accepted it, and he got what he deserved." With every day that passes and every comment of his I read, it occurs to me more and more that JR is scum.

Aside from JR, we have great people in the front office. Brooks Boyer has been a godsent. KW is a diligent worker, and has put together a very good team, working with what little money JR has given him. This franchise is on the rise.

I'll be the first to admit that Reinsdorf is a cheap bastard, but you can't deny that what he said in his quote is wrong. Ordonez should have taken one of the contracts the Sox offered him. They were fair, and he chose to hold out for more money that he really doesn't deserve when compared to the players who are making more money than he is. I was always a big Magglio fan, and I'm very dissapointed with how his situation turned out, but the simple fact of the matter is that he made a mistake not accepting the contract, got injured, and is now going to have a hard time finding that kind of contract again. And the fact that Maggs then went and switched agents to Scott Boras only goes to show where his loyalties lie: in his pocketbook.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
I agree with JR...

I agree with him too. JR can call Magglio every night and yell "you blew it" into the phone for all I care, but as a professional, he has to have the class to turn the other cheek. Reinsdorf's vindication will come when Maggs signs for pennies elsewhere, not through bashing him in the media. Everyone knows that Maggs blew it. He was greedy, he wanted more money than superior players got, and he lied to the fans. He is slime, but I dont think that he "deserves" a possible career ending injury. I dont wish injury on anyone other than Ray Lewis. Its a shame the Mets got Beltran, because I would have liked Maggs to whither and die there in obscurity with 90 loss teams the next 4 years. Contract wise, Maggs is going to get what he deserves, but ownership should be above gloating.

jabrch
01-16-2005, 06:42 PM
but I dont think that he "deserves" a possible career ending injury. I dont wish injury on anyone other than Ray Lewis. Contract wise, Maggs is going to get what he deserves, but ownership should be above gloating.

I agree with those sentiments...except the Ray Lewis one. I don't wish career ending injuries on ANYONE. Lewis is a hell of an athlete and one smart football palyer who I enjoy watching play.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree with those sentiments...except the Ray Lewis one. I don't wish career ending injuries on ANYONE. Lewis is a hell of an athlete and one smart football palyer who I enjoy watching play.

Call the teal police. Though I hate Lewis with a passion, I dont really wish him injury.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 06:48 PM
When a woman complimented KW during the Saturday seminar on how he handled the Ordonez matter, KW said that if he ran into Ordonez in an ice cream parlor he would buy Ordonez ice cream.

I thought that was an amazingly cool comment by KW. He actually started to say if he saw Mags in a bar, he would buy him a drink- but he edited the story (I think because of the kids in the room), although the moral was the same. If he saw Mags at the ice cream shop, he'd buy him a cone. I thought that was really a great thought.

I wish Mags all the luck in the world as long as he doesn't end up at Clark and Addison.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm really split on this situation. Magglio Ordonez was great in his tenure as the White Sox right fielder and I really appreciate what he did for us in his 8 seasons with the sox. However, I was disappointed in the way Magglio Ordonez used the media to make the fans believe that he wanted to stay here. Even when he was healthy, I was split on the idea of resigning Magglio Ordonez. He was set to make a lot of money which was too much for only one player with the budget that the white sox have. However, what JR said was classless. Magglio Ordonez did a lot for this organization and it's silly to say that Magglio got what he deserved. He didn't deserve to get injured, he deserved to continue to play at an all star caliber level and get paid for it. Best of luck Magglio, just don't sign with the Cubs. :smile:

mealfred13
01-16-2005, 06:54 PM
I thought that was an amazingly cool comment by KW.

Pun intended?

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
No one deserves to get injured.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Pun intended?

Haha. Nice one.

DrCrawdad
01-17-2005, 12:56 AM
This may not be a popular opinion here, but I think Reinsdorf is largely a loyal, good guy to work for. A person I know, who's opinion I trust, works for the team. My friend admires and respects Reinsdorf and appreciates the loyalty Reinsdorf's shown him (and his family). However baseball is a business and in his position it would be virtually impossible to please everyone, to go without stepping on someone's toes. But I know for a fact that he's gone out of his way to help a friend when that friend was down on his luck. Reinsdorf did it without fanfare and hasn't trumpeted it.

Reinsdorf is a businessman, but he's not the evil greedy ogre he's sometimes made out to be.

SomebodyToldMe
01-17-2005, 01:13 AM
I don't wish career ending injuries on ANYONE.

:nandrolone
"Heyyyyyy! You're alright!"

OurBitchinMinny
01-17-2005, 02:56 AM
I thought that when the subject of Magglio Ordonez's departure was brought up at a seminar, someone would rip him on how he left us. Interestingly, though, White Sox personnel took a very high road on the subject. When a woman complimented KW during the Saturday seminar on how he handled the Ordonez matter, KW said that if he ran into Ordonez in an ice cream parlor he would buy Ordonez ice cream. Hawk and Ozzie did not make any negative comments about Ordonez either. I think this was a good thing. Much as been said about Ordonez by me and others than has not been warm and fuzzy. Taking the high road only shows how much more right I believe the front office was on the issue.

In your opinion. In my opinion they burned any possible bridge that might have led him to sign back here. No they didnt have to offer him arbitration and with his knee they would have been stupid too. But to battle this thing out in the press was ludicrous. Im never gonna give the sox brass the benefit of the doubt while fat uncle jerry sits at the top of the totem pole.