PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle gets opening day nod

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I read this in an article on Chicagosports.com. It also mentions Ozzie's ideas for the opening day line up

Guillen gave a clue as to what his Opening Day lineup would be: Scott Podsednik in center or left, Juan Uribe at short, Jermaine Dye in right, Paul Konerko at first, Carl Everett the designated hitter, Aaron Rowand in center or left, A.J. Pierzynski at catcher, Joe Crede at third and Willie Harris at second.

Guillen also said Mark Buehrle will get the ball April 4 at U.S. Cellular Field to open the season against the Cleveland Indians.

link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050115soxfest,1,3150633.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
well deserved

c.c. sabathia @ mark buehrle on monday
kevin millwood @ freddy garcia on wednesday

tought first 2 games

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
No surprise. Giving Buehrle the Opening day nod also means he will face the Twins on Sunday, whereas Freddy will miss the Twins series. Here's the bigger question. Who pitches in Game 3? I would start Contreras. We go to Minnesota right after facing the Indians. That Friday will be the Twins home opener. We got El Duque because he's a big game pitcher, so let him pitch the bigger game. What better way to try to send an early season message than to have our new starter go against the Twinkies in their home opener? I just hope Ozzie views in this way.

Then again, with the off day on Tuesday, we could skip Contreras or Garland and have El Duque, Buehrle, and Garcia go for us in that 3 game series.

Mohoney
01-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Then again, with the off day on Tuesday, we could skip Contreras or Garland and have El Duque, Buehrle, and Garcia go for us in that 3 game series.

Bingo. Skipping Garland might send a message to the lunkhead.

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Bingo. Skipping Garland might send a message to the lunkhead.

Actually, I screwed up. With the off day on Tuesday, there's no way Garcia could pitch Sunday as he'd be pitching Wesnesday. So really there's no point in skipping anyone, as that pitcher would just end up pitching on Sunday. I still maintain that El Duque should start Friday.

NSSoxFan2
01-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree with you Jjav that El Duque should start the first game of the Twins series.

Clembasbal
01-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Hernandez, so if he does bad will he not be a big game pitcher the rest of the year? Will we, as Sox fans, consider him a bust and bad mouth him as a bust until he is run out of this town?

I think so, I think he should pitch the 3rdgame, or not even at all during the series against Minn.

NSSoxFan2
01-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Hernandez, so if he does bad will he not be a big game pitcher the rest of the year? Will we, as Sox fans, consider him a bust and bad mouth him as a bust until he is run out of this town?

I think so, I think he should pitch the 3rdgame, or not even at all during the series against Minn.

I disagree. First off, your post is a bit confusing, although I get what you are trying to say. Any baseball fan knows that you can't judge a pitcher on one start.

Nick@Nite
01-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Hope the bull pen doesn't pour gasoline all over the damn place like they did in last year's Opening Day game at K.C.

I know Koch is long gone, but still...

veeter
01-16-2005, 05:19 PM
well deserved

c.c. sabathia @ mark buehrle on monday
kevin millwood @ freddy garcia on wednesday

tought first 2 games These are 2 tough games. This is why love the lineup changes. We should be able to attack and score in many ways. Mark Buehrle, still the best kept secret in baseball, has earned the opening day start. I'll be at game two and I can't wait!

zach074
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Woohoo! I haven't been to a game where Mark pitched since his hair was bleached blonde!:bandance:

WhiteSoxNation
01-16-2005, 05:32 PM
It's nice to have 2 potential 20game winners, Go beat C.C. MARK!

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Hope the bull pen doesn't pour gasoline all over the damn place like they did in last year's Opening Day game at K.C.

I know Koch is long gone, but still...

That seems like about 5 years ago doesn't it? Wasn't Beltran the one who hit it?

chisoxmike
01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
That seems like about 5 years ago doesn't it? Wasn't Beltran the one who hit it?

Yep it was him. I think if a meltdown like that happend at the cell on opening day, we'd burn the place down.

Nick@Nite
01-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Yup. Beltran hit the game winning blast.

But... but... the forgettable Mendy freaking Lopez hit the 3-run game tying shot as a pinch freakin hitter... un-freakin-believable.

Someone help me! I'm having Kaufman Stadium heart palpitations circa 2004, because I was there. :(:

Linky... damn it! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20040405&content_id=690253&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp)

gobears1987
01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm confident with Shingo, Hermanson, and Vizcaino. Marte ought to be good too now that he won't be overworked as he was last year. We will be screwed it Cotts goes in though.