PDA

View Full Version : The Most UNDERRATED Team

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Now that I covered the overrated, lets see who is very underrated. I really see the Sox as the most Underrated team this year.

hubbard347
01-16-2005, 01:39 PM
100% agreement there. We are the most underrated team.

RKMeibalane
01-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Atlanta. Nobody's talking about them as being a contender now that Drew is gone, but I would expect them to be competitive again this season. Bobby Cox is one of the best managers in baseball when it comes to getting the most out of his players. That, more than anything else, is the reason why the Braves have been so successful over the past fifteen years. Very rarely do they have any of their players completely tank, as has been the case with the Sox the past four seasons.

The Braves may not win the division this season, but I'm not going to count them out. The only team they have to worry about is Philadelphia, and possibly the Mets.

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 01:51 PM
It's always tough to do these underrated/overrated things because I have no idea what teams are considered overrated/underrated. That said, a team I haven't heard much talk about is the Marlins. I think they'll make a good run at the NL East this year. Of course they do have some big questions, health-wise. But if their pitchers stay healthy, they'll have a very good staff. If they land Delgado, they might be the favorites to take that division. Does that excluse them from being underrated? I don't know. Doesn't seem like they are getting much hype but they have a good team.

Beckett, Burnett, Leiter, Willis, and Valdez has the possibility to be one of the best rotations out there, though it depends on Beckett and Burnett staying healthy. Their bullpen is okay. Still some questions on whether Mota can make the transition from being a great setup man to becoming a closer. Alfonseca was great last year, but can he repeat that success? If one of their young pitchers (Kensing, Hagerty?) can do well out of the pen, they should be okay there.

I like their offense. Pierre, Castillo, Lo Duca, Cabrera, Lowell is a nice 1-5. The question is what happens if they land Delgado. I know there has been talk that they might have to trade Castillo if they sign Delgado. That shouldn't really hurt them too much. And if they can land Delgado, plus trade Castillo for a solid reliever, they'll be even better. Pierre, Lo Duca, Cabrera, Delgado, Lowell, Encarnacion/Conine, Easley, Gonzalez isn't bad. Even if they don't get Delgado; Pierre, Castillo, Lo Duca, Cabrera, Lowell, Conine, Encarnacion, Gonzalez isn't too shabby. They really need to add that left-handed power bat, though. If it costs them Castillo, so be it. Delgado would be worth it.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 03:36 PM
The White Sox. Nobody has given them credit for assembling one of the better pitching staffs in baseball. There may be questions with some of these guys, but our 1-5 has the talent and ability to each win 18 games. We also have one of the better bullpens in baseball. Accept for the second lefty (Cotts? other?) we have a staff of solid veterans. Marte is one of the few shutdown lefthanded relievers in the game. Shingo will at very least be serviceable as the closer. Hermanson will be very good, and nobody realizes yet just how good Vizcaino really is.
Our defense is greatly improved. Podsednik will be a welcome addition in left, with probably twice the range Lee had. Rowand is underrated defensively, and he will only get better. Dye is a former gold glover, and he is not "injury riddled" like everyone thinks. He had two freak injuries, completely unrelated. Its not like we got someone with a history of back or knee problems. Dye will be healthy, and he will be better in right than Maggs was. Konerko is solid defensively, very underrated. Uribe is extremely underrated, nobody realizes that he has a great arm, great range, and a great glove. He will be a gold glover some day. Crede is very good defensively, whether he hits or not. Harris most likely wont be starting, so we shouldn't worry about him. Pierzynski is better than most on this board seem to think, and his lack of arm wont mean as much in the AL.
Our hitting wont be nearly as bad as most people think. Podsednik realized what he was doing wrong last year, and he will improve greatly. He will be much closer to 2003 form than 2004 form. Rowand is one of the hardest workers in baseball. There is no reason to believe he wont hit the same this year. He hit so good because he busts his ass everyday, not because it was a fluke. We know what Konerko gives us, and he might even improve in his contract year. Dye will be 100% healthy, and should hit over .300 with close to 30HR playing in the Cell 81 games. Nobody recognizes how good of a player Everett is when healthy. He is a clutch veteran switch hitter who can bat .300. Every playoff team needs a Carl Everett coming off the bench. He will be in shape when he comes to camp this year. Pierzynski is a career .300 hitter in the AL, and he should only hit better in the Cell. Uribe has lots of potential, and I see no reason why he can't duplicate last year's numbers. I think he will actually improve. As for Harris, he did improve last year when he played, but it looks like KW will bring someone in to play 2B. At very least, Crede and Harris can't possibly get any worse. Its only up from here.

OurBitchinMinny
01-16-2005, 03:50 PM
The sox to some extent I guess, but maybe its more apathy. Talent wise the sox have been the best team in the division the last 5 years and are 1 for 5. I think the most underrated team is cleveland. I think they are gonna be as much of a threat if not more than minnesota.

veeter
01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
The Sox are always underrated because of the national love for the bearettes. Other than the Sox I feel the Cards are being underrated. They did lose some key figures but when you add Mulder, Eckstein and Grudkljjdoifdnek you've had a very good off-season. Mulder could win 23 with that offensive support.

depy48
01-16-2005, 06:28 PM
texas rangers...
they showed what they can do last year, and if they can add delgado they'll be more potent.

MUsoxfan
01-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Brewers. While they're still not great by any stretch of the imagination, they have some components that will help them hit that magic mark of .500 this year for the first time in more than a decade

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Beckett, Burnett, Leiter, Willis, and Valdez has the possibility to be one of the best rotations out there, though it depends on Beckett and Burnett staying healthy. Their bullpen is okay. Still some questions on whether Mota can make the transition from being a great setup man to becoming a closer. Alfonseca was great last year, but can he repeat that success? If one of their young pitchers (Kensing, Hagerty?) can do well out of the pen, they should be okay there.

Beckett and Burnett can't stay healthy, Willis is too inconsistent, Leiter can't go more than 6 innings, and Valdez isn't that special either even if he is in the fifth starter's spot. With the Marlins, Mota was 3/7 in saves, and had a ERA of 4.81. I don't see them being any better than third place for the 2005 season.

Oh, the White Sox are the most underrated team right now.

ChiSoxRowand
01-17-2005, 02:43 AM
White Sox, Rangers, Mets

doublem23
01-17-2005, 03:05 AM
White Sox, Rangers, Mets

The Mets? Underrated? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, my vote goes to Cincinnati. Great line-up, some questions with the pitching, but could be another solid contender in the NL Central.

Foulke29
01-17-2005, 11:39 AM
The White Sox. Nobody has given them credit for assembling one of the better pitching staffs in baseball. There may be questions with some of these guys, but our 1-5 has the talent and ability to each win 18 games. We also have one of the better bullpens in baseball. Accept for the second lefty (Cotts? other?) we have a staff of solid veterans. Marte is one of the few shutdown lefthanded relievers in the game. Shingo will at very least be serviceable as the closer. Hermanson will be very good, and nobody realizes yet just how good Vizcaino really is.
Our defense is greatly improved. Podsednik will be a welcome addition in left, with probably twice the range Lee had. Rowand is underrated defensively, and he will only get better. Dye is a former gold glover, and he is not "injury riddled" like everyone thinks. He had two freak injuries, completely unrelated. Its not like we got someone with a history of back or knee problems. Dye will be healthy, and he will be better in right than Maggs was. Konerko is solid defensively, very underrated. Uribe is extremely underrated, nobody realizes that he has a great arm, great range, and a great glove. He will be a gold glover some day. Crede is very good defensively, whether he hits or not. Harris most likely wont be starting, so we shouldn't worry about him. Pierzynski is better than most on this board seem to think, and his lack of arm wont mean as much in the AL.
Our hitting wont be nearly as bad as most people think. Podsednik realized what he was doing wrong last year, and he will improve greatly. He will be much closer to 2003 form than 2004 form. Rowand is one of the hardest workers in baseball. There is no reason to believe he wont hit the same this year. He hit so good because he busts his ass everyday, not because it was a fluke. We know what Konerko gives us, and he might even improve in his contract year. Dye will be 100% healthy, and should hit over .300 with close to 30HR playing in the Cell 81 games. Nobody recognizes how good of a player Everett is when healthy. He is a clutch veteran switch hitter who can bat .300. Every playoff team needs a Carl Everett coming off the bench. He will be in shape when he comes to camp this year. Pierzynski is a career .300 hitter in the AL, and he should only hit better in the Cell. Uribe has lots of potential, and I see no reason why he can't duplicate last year's numbers. I think he will actually improve. As for Harris, he did improve last year when he played, but it looks like KW will bring someone in to play 2B. At very least, Crede and Harris can't possibly get any worse. Its only up from here.

Only problem with this team - as I see it - is that we're (again) one or two injuries to key guys away from finishing in third place. I'm not so sure we have the depth in our pitching to handle a guy being out for a significant amount of time. In addition to that, I'm not sure we have the farm to trade for a guy to fill in.

Jjav829
01-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Only problem with this team - as I see it - is that we're (again) one or two injuries to key guys away from finishing in third place. I'm not so sure we have the depth in our pitching to handle a guy being out for a significant amount of time. In addition to that, I'm not sure we have the farm to trade for a guy to fill in.

I was extremely against using Jason Grilli as our #5 starter. I thought it was a horrible idea to consider not getting another starter and going with Grilli. But, he's not a terrible 6th pitcher, assuming he has an option left where we can send him down to AAA. Should El Duque go down for a few weeks, we can do worse than using Jason Grilli for 3 or starts. Does anyone know if he has an option left?

NonetheLoaiza
01-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I've got to go with Atlanta. Especially with them losing Wright and Drew who performed well for them last year, no one is expecting them to do anything. Last year, with everyone expeccting that consecutive division titles coming to an end, they showed again why they are a great team with a great manager. That being said, I think I have to cast my vote for the Braves.

Tekijawa
01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Milwaukee and Detroit... I like what both teams have done...

santo=dorf
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Milwaukee and Detroit... I like what both teams have done...

:?:

Troy Percival and Vance Wilson are significant moves? That's all they have done this offseason.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I was extremely against using Jason Grilli as our #5 starter. I thought it was a horrible idea to consider not getting another starter and going with Grilli. But, he's not a terrible 6th pitcher, assuming he has an option left where we can send him down to AAA. Should El Duque go down for a few weeks, we can do worse than using Jason Grilli for 3 or starts. Does anyone know if he has an option left?Don't forget Hermanson can spot start if needed, too. With the luck they've had bringing up 5th starters from the minors, I'd bet they would go that way instead.

When Kenny got on the subject of Neal Cotts, he talked quite a bit about the practice of bringing up young pitchers and letting them get their feet wet in the bullpen first rather than putting them right into the rotation. I've always believed in that, too. It's a rare pitcher who can get called up and pitch well enough right away to justify a rotation spot. Let them learn to pitch at the major league level an inning or two at a time.

Tekijawa
01-17-2005, 03:40 PM
:?:

Troy Percival and Vance Wilson are significant moves? That's all they have done this offseason.

I guess I should be clear, I like what they've done to make themselves better over the past few years... and some times No Moves or few moves can make a difference, especially with the youth that both teams have...

AZChiSoxFan
01-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Atlanta. Nobody's talking about them as being a contender now that Drew is gone, but I would expect them to be competitive again this season. Bobby Cox is one of the best managers in baseball when it comes to getting the most out of his players. That, more than anything else, is the reason why the Braves have been so successful over the past fifteen years. Very rarely do they have any of their players completely tank, as has been the case with the Sox the past four seasons.

The Braves may not win the division this season, but I'm not going to count them out. The only team they have to worry about is Philadelphia, and possibly the Mets.

Totally agree. It seems like every year, they lose a bunch of players in the offseason and everyone writes them off. Then they go out and win the division again.

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Totally agree. It seems like every year, they lose a bunch of players in the offseason and everyone writes them off. Then they go out and win the division again.

I think the only time they got "written-off" was last year. Otherwise they're pretty much expected to win the division every year. It will happen again this year.....the Mets aren't convincing me that they're anything above average

AZChiSoxFan
01-17-2005, 05:52 PM
I think the only time they got "written-off" was last year. Otherwise they're pretty much expected to win the division every year. It will happen again this year.....the Mets aren't convincing me that they're anything above average

Agreed that ATL will win the div, but watch all the preseason pundits trip over themselves talking about how great the Mets are!!

HoustonAstros967
01-17-2005, 06:25 PM
The white sox have assembled a great team this offseason and still people are talking about the cubs. The White Sox pitching rotation is one of the best but still many people are picking the Twins.

SoxFanTillDeath
01-17-2005, 07:41 PM
The White Sox, obviously, but I think two other underrated teams are the Mariners and the Indians. I think the tribe will give the Sox a run for their money this year for the division, and the mariners are a pitching staff away from being a great team. (In other words, they aren't really that great, but they are a whole lot better than people are giving them credit for.)

DumpJerry
01-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Maybe because I am around too many Flub fans who can't say anything nice about us and Sox fans who make Homefish sound like a cheerleader, I'm going with us.

KW has quietly put together a solid (provided everyone stay reasonable healthy) top to bottom team. I always prefer spot signings and not the Big Signing (often a bust).

SOXFAN82
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
In the paper the other day they said the sox would finish 2 in the divison. Last time i check everyone is counting us out this year..Let's make them pay...

Brian:angry:

SoxSpeed22
01-20-2005, 01:45 AM
In the paper the other day they said the sox would finish 2 in the divison. Last time i check everyone is counting us out this year..Let's make them pay...

Brian:angry:
I not only agree with this, I think it is either us or the Phillies, nobody talks about either one. The problem the Phils had was too many flyball pitchers in a home run derby stadium, they fixed that and have Charlie Manuel as the manager. They also still have Thome and Abreu, Utley and Rollins improved as well.

Norberto7
01-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Not many people are talking about them these days, so I would definitely say the most underrrated team is the Chicago Cubs. They flew under the radar with their signing of Henry Blanco, who fills in the last hole on the team. They have a durable staff with Woods and Prior. They have a slugger with something to prove in Sosa, who is also very proficient at making highlight reel catches after misjudging a ball. If only they were owned by a media company, we would hear more about them....