PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Lineup

mjmcend
01-16-2005, 12:29 PM
What does everyone think of next year's lineup that Ozzie mentioned at Sox Fest.

"Speaking at a fan seminar Saturday at SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency, Guillen sounded set on a lineup of Podsednik leading off, followed by shortstop Juan Uribe, right fielder Jermaine Dye, first baseman Paul Konerko, designated hitter Carl Everett, Rowand, catcher A.J. Pierzynski, third baseman Joe Crede and second baseman Willie Harris."

I am a little upset that Uribe is in the second spot, I would like to have seen him switched with Rowand. However, I just hope this lineup (or whatever one we actually start the season with) doesn't get switched around every other day.

Whitesox029
01-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I would split up Crede and Harris so that there is a decent bat between them--Crede, Pierzynski, then Harris. You're right--Rowand should at least bat in front of Everett if not second. I think Ozzie will tool around with it though. It's not like it's set in stone.
Ozzie is excluding Frank because he wants us to be prepared for the worst. If he says he thinks Frank wil be ready, and there's actually a chance he won't be, we'll be set up for disappointment. This way, if he's not back til June, we're expecting it, and if he's back before then, it's a pleasant surprise.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 12:37 PM
It tells me that the Sox organization is coming to the realization that Frank Thomas will not be ready to start the season (that dovetails with Williams' comments about Frank in the papers today...)

The Big Hurt has become the big question mark for this season.

Lip

DickAllen72
01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Flip Rowand with Uribe, and Everett with Dye, and you've got yourself a good lineup.

BTW, Podsednik should be starting in LF, with Rowand in Center.

johnny_mostil
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Flip Rowand with Uribe, and Everett with Dye, and you've got yourself a good lineup.

BTW, Podsednik should be starting in LF, with Rowand in Center.

Like it makes any real difference...

RKMeibalane
01-16-2005, 01:18 PM
It tells me that the Sox organization is coming to the realization that Frank Thomas will not be ready to start the season (that dovetails with Williams' comments about Frank in the papers today...)

The Big Hurt has become the big question mark for this season.

Lip

And that is why I have not picked the Sox to win the division in any of the prediction threads on this board. The Sox have a more well-rounded team coming into this season, but if they don't have their best hitter for the majority of the season, they're going to have some problems. Konerko and Rowand will put up good numbers. I have no doubt about that. However, I'm still waiting to see if Carl Everett shows up at ST in shape and ready to play, and if Joe Crede has finally found a way to remove his head from his ass.

As I said in another post, the Sox don't need a "career year" from anyone. What they need is for everyone to be healthy (in question with Frank being out) and for everyone to perform as expected. Too many times in the past four seasons, the Sox have had several players tank and drag the team down with their performance. If they want to win the division, that needs to stop. That, and they need everyone healthy (as if this hasn't been said enough).

If the Sox can stay within a few games of Minnesota until Frank returns, then they should be able to get it done. But, if they start slowly, they may have to go in another direction. In the interest of not causing anyone to hang themselves today, I'm not going to state what that might be, but I think some of you will have an idea of what I'm talking about.

SouthSideHitman
01-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Posednik
Rowand
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede
Harris

I guess I'm just not as sold on Uribe as Ozzie is, he's just too inconsistent and ARow just puts up better numbers and has better speed to be a top of the lineup table setter. Once Thomas comes back I would put him third, then Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski to break up the righties a bit.

But to respond to RK, I would say that the Sox are less dependant on Frank than you think. What's great about this year is that we're not banking on the offense. The lineup will just have to be able to keep us in games, which it will be far better able to do because it won't be as hit-or-miss and then the pitching can take over with five solid starters and a sweet pen. Sure the Sox will need Frank down the stretch but it's not as dire anymore.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 02:02 PM
As the team currently stands, my batting order would be:
Posednik
Rowand
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Uribe
Pierzynski
Crede
Harris

But, here is my ideal lineup:
Podsednik
Iguchi
Rowand
Thomas
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe
Crede
That is one bad ass team!

zach074
01-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Rowand deserves the 2 spot.

DickAllen72
01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Like it makes any real difference...

Rowand has a much stronger arm than Podsednik.

SoxFan48
01-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Yes, he is a good leadoff man if he can get on base...if. Based on last year's stats, both Aaron Roward and Willie Harris have substantially higher OBP than Podsednik.

And spare me that last year was an "off-year". Looking at his total professional career, last year was a typical Podsednik year.

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Yes, he is a good leadoff man if he can get on base...if. Based on last year's stats, both Aaron Roward and Willie Harris have substantially higher OBP than Podsednik.

And spare me that last year was an "off-year". Looking at his total professional career, last year was a typical Podsednik year.

:?:
Total professional career? OK, if you dont count the 19 games he played with the Mariners over 2 years, he played 2 seasons. How can you consider 2004 a typical Podsednik year when he played as many games as in 2003? Why wasn't 03 a typical Pod year? Oh, I see. 2004 was a typical Pod year because it helps your arguement. That is the only way I can think of that one could completely write off the ability he showed one year and accept his numbers from the second year as the true indicators of talent.

JRIG
01-16-2005, 02:54 PM
:?:
Total professional career? OK, if you dont count the 19 games he played with the Mariners over 2 years, he played 2 seasons. How can you consider 2004 a typical Podsednik year when he played as many games as in 2003? Why wasn't 03 a typical Pod year? Oh, I see. 2004 was a typical Pod year because it helps your arguement. That is the only way I can think of that one could completely write off the ability he showed one year and accept his numbers from the second year as the true indicators of talent.

2004 is a typical Podsednik year because NINE years in the minor leagues says that is more typical of his talent. 2003 sticks out like a sore thumb in his career line.

Jerome
01-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Yeah thats a big if. Podsednik has had two years. One great and one bad. If he plays like he did last year, Willie or Rowand should be leading off.

And about the two hole, wouldn't Rowand be kind of a waste? Ozzie probably will want to bunt a lot, shouldn't Rowand be in a better position to drive in runs?

Jerome
01-16-2005, 02:56 PM
2004 is a typical Podsednik year because NINE years in the minor leagues says that is more typical of his talent. 2003 sticks out like a sore thumb in his career line.

Ouch. I didn't know his minor league stats. Lets pray that he plays like in 2003, not last year.

SoxFan48
01-16-2005, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Jerome]Yeah thats a big if. Podsednik has had two years. One great and one bad. QUOTE]

Actually the Podsednik record is 11 years. BA for 9 years in minor is .265, OBA is .332. He never broke the .300 BA in the minors Record is one great year, 10 mediocre or less years. This is a trend and if it continues Podsednik will not be starting by the end of 2005 let alone leading off.

gobears1987
01-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Remember we still have a whole spring training ahead of us to see how players are.

Whitesox029
01-16-2005, 10:51 PM
And that is why I have not picked the Sox to win the division in any of the prediction threads on this board. The Sox have a more well-rounded team coming into this season, but if they don't have their best hitter for the majority of the season, they're going to have some problems. Konerko and Rowand will put up good numbers. I have no doubt about that. However, I'm still waiting to see if Carl Everett shows up at ST in shape and ready to play, and if Joe Crede has finally found a way to remove his head from his ass.

As I said in another post, the Sox don't need a "career year" from anyone. What they need is for everyone to be healthy (in question with Frank being out) and for everyone to perform as expected. Too many times in the past four seasons, the Sox have had several players tank and drag the team down with their performance. If they want to win the division, that needs to stop. That, and they need everyone healthy (as if this hasn't been said enough).

If the Sox can stay within a few games of Minnesota until Frank returns, then they should be able to get it done. But, if they start slowly, they may have to go in another direction. In the interest of not causing anyone to hang themselves today, I'm not going to state what that might be, but I think some of you will have an idea of what I'm talking about.
The latest return date I have seen for Frank is beginning of June. I will gladly give up the first two months if it means he will be fully recovered and will not get injured again. We will need his experience for the stretch run when the pressure is on. He's a White Sox player who's actually been to the playoffs twice in this uniform--a rarity.

jordan23ventura
01-17-2005, 07:27 AM
We will need his experience for the stretch run when the pressure is on. He's a White Sox player who's actually been to the playoffs twice in this uniform--a rarity.

A rarity?

A virtual impossibility!

MrRoboto83
01-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Posednik
Rowand
Dye
Konerko
Pierzynski
Everett
Uribe
Crede
Harris

This is how my line up would look. I think even possible to have A.J. batting 2nd instead of Rowand.

Dadawg_77
01-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Lineups really don't make that much of a difference. Just some players mentally think they belong in a certain spot in the lineup. The leadoff hitter had 23,031 PA and the 9th Place hitter had 18,768 PA, thus a difference less then one PA per game.

The lineup will produce a more consistent offense which Ozzie likes, just too bad that doesn't mean scoring five runs a game but 3-4. Without Thomas, this is 500 to below 500 team.

B M l o t 7
01-17-2005, 11:24 AM
I agree that they should split up Crede and Harris and I think they should put Uribe there and put Rowand second. Rowand had 17 steals and with everyone worrying about Scott posednik stealing they will pay less attention to Rowand, plus posdenik could teach him a few pointers. Also Uribe batting 8 or 7 would less pressure on him and I think he could really produce there in terms of getting on base. You could even put Uribe right behind Harris so Uribe could try to bring him in. Let me know if this is a good idea:rolleyes: