PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fest day 3 thread

Chrisaway
01-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Tis 7:43am and I'm just about to leave. I can hardly wait.:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

pinwheels3530
01-16-2005, 09:14 AM
I am on my way going to get Aaron Rowand to sign my picture I took of him while the Sox were playing in Cleveland.

C-Dawg
01-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I was just there on Saturday; now I'm tempted to go back down there to see if Sunday tickets are still available. :cool:

Soxzilla
01-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Where can one find parking? Will there be spots available at the hotel?

pinwheels3530
01-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Where can one find parking? Will there be spots available at the hotel?

There should be parking avialable the hotel has a East-West tower garage.

Hangar18
01-16-2005, 01:00 PM
There should be parking avialable the hotel has a East-West tower garage.

I was lucky enough to have been able to meet and chat with South-Side Willie Harris, Carl Everett both friday and saturday, my man Aaron Rowand,
and esp cool to talk to Joe Crede. He is one really laid back and nice guy,
and he feels bad he didnt hit more. I told him he will come around, just
let his Defense do the talking and the bat will come around. I was surprised
to learn that he really is into music, so pretty cool to talk music with him
for a while. Mot and a couple of other WSI'ers were chatting with
Rowand just behind me and making fun of me, and I turned around and Aaron
says "yeah I know that guy" (referring to our closing the bar last year) the group starts laughing, totally funny moment :cool:

Hangar18
01-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Funniest moment, I was introduced to
Carl Everett on Friday nite with "this guy hates the media" and he looked at
me and said "Oh Yeah?" and we had a funny conversation about that.

Later in the evening, he and South Side Willie were sitting at our table, and
went towards the front talking to a group of his friends, As I walked by
he noticed me and gave me the Pat on the shoulder and "Whats up Man".
I shook his hand and patted him back on the way past (the beer was really running thru me) and started up the stairs towards the bathrooms.
There were a ton of kids standing there trying to get his attention for an autograph and one kid, noticing my interaction with Carl, asks for MY AUTOGRAPH (thinking I was someone else heh heh)

I signed it Hangar18 and started laughing to myself
when a WSI'er notices and laughed at me ...........pretty funny

Baby Fisk
01-16-2005, 01:14 PM
one kid, noticing my interaction with Carl, asks for MY AUTOGRAPH (thinking I was someone else heh heh)

I signed it Hangar18 and started laughing to myself
when a WSI'er notices and laughed at me ...........pretty funny

I'm sure the kid's already got it for sale on eBay. :cool:

"RARE Chicago White Sox Hangar #18 autograph -- Buy It Now for $29.99"

WhiteSoxFan84
01-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm sure the kid's already got it for sale on eBay. :cool:

"RARE Chicago White Sox Hangar #18 autograph -- Buy It Now for $29.99"

Item is currently at $75.50

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Just saw that. Get this, the high bidder is "jreinsdorf1917."

RKMeibalane
01-16-2005, 02:27 PM

I think he could more than that for his signature. There is a Dan Pasqua autographed photo priced at $90.00.

Chrisaway
01-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Just got back. I met and chatted with Tim Raines (very cool guy). I also got sigs from Willie Harris, Carl Everett, and Joe Borchard. All of em were cool, Everett was even kind enough to sign both a card and my jersey. I also watched an ESPN1000 interview with Pods and A.J.. All in all a good time just wish that Bo Jackson was still there.

Soxzilla
01-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Had a good time as well. We got autographs from Ben Davis and Joe Crede ... and I made Ben sign a picture of himself "Bangin'" Ben Davis:redneck. He probably thought I was a total whack-job, ha. Crede didn't really say much, he was probably mad at me because I made him sign a picture of Davis:tongue: , but he seemed a little out of it.

The seminar was great, unfortunately Lip was there, and made some comments ot Kenny about how he gave away our two .300 hitters:rolleyes: . But he got booed, so Kenny got some props. And my brother also got Williams' signature.

Niel Cotts was also on the escalator behind as we were leaving, but I didn't notice him right away, and I looked him and he looked at me, like he wasn't sure if I would say anything. But I just nodded and let him on his way.

Very cool stuff.

Didn't find the 2004 video I was looking for though.:mad:

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Did you go to the garage sale? That was the only place they were selling them.

Also, I liked how Ozzie responded to the guy who challenged KW on the departures of Ordonez and Lee.

Harris=God
01-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Today was my first soxfest and it was awesome. i thought it was a productive day. Got willie, tim raines, davis, and credes autographs. also got my opening day tickets. had a blast. By the way hanger how did you manage to talk to the players.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I got up at 7:15, hoping to leave my place by 7:45 and walk over to the Hyatt. My plan was to be at the Hyatt just after 8...or maybe at 8:15 if I stopped at Starbucks to grab a snack on the way. As I was walking on Wacker between Michigan and Wabash, I remembered that I forgot to bring my Sunday Soxfest ticket from home! Argh. I didn't want to walk all the way back home or pay for a round trip cab ride back. I called my wife, and she was nice enough to drive the ticket over and meet me out front on her way shopping, so I only lost 15 minutes. I was in line in the ballroom by 8:30 am.

My goal for the day was to get Pods and AJ to sign some balls, and hopefully still have time to get PK to sign a black bat I bought at last year's Soxfest. It seemed like most of the people lined up early in the ballroom went immediately to the Pods/AJ Stage 2 line downstairs, so that auto took about an hour to get. I got out at 11:15am and immediately went to the PK line to get a wristband. I snuck up a bit in line and got the wristband...went to get a piece of pizza and beverage, and immediately went to sit down in line to wait for PK (this turned out to be a great decision). Most other people took their wristbands and went to watch seminars or browse the tables. Because I decided to wait in line, I was only in the 2nd row for PK (scheduled for 1:15). PK was doing a seminar from 12 to 12:45, so they had a 30 minute break built into the schedule for him. Much to our surprise, after the seminar he immediately came over and started signing autos at Stage 2 at 12:45! This guy is the hardest working guy in Chicago! He was cruising on the autos, too. PK knows what he's doing. I ended up getting PK's auto (looks really nice with the silver pen on the black bat) and getting out of the line by 1pm. I accomplished everything I wanted for the day, so I was happy.

I walked around a couple of more times. I picked up a set of Sox cards that I wanted from a dealer. I also took a survey from the Sox marketing team downstairs about the whole Soxfest experience. Two very interesting questions they asked: Would you be inclined to go more often if the event was held in the suburbs, and What do you enjoy most about the event? Autographs? Seminars? etc. So, I guess they are at least thinking about the possibility of moving Soxfest to somewhere in the burbs. Living downtown right now, I love that it is at the Hyatt. I'm sure if I lived in the suburbs, it would be easier to get to if it was out there. Still, I hope they keep it downtown. I think the whole event seems more special being in the city. It gives people a fun chance to spend the weekend downtown who regularly wouldn't make it into the city.

I went upstairs to catch the last half of the Marketing/broadcasting seminar with Hawk, Rooney, and Brooks. Hangar had the floor for the last question. I thought he was ready to hit a homerun, but I think he took it easy on the guys with his question: He asked about the possibility of putting an old time style clock on the scoreboard for the Turnback the Clock Game. Brooks said the sponsor doesn't like the idea of a clock, but they might explore the possibility in a couple of years when the sponsorship runs out. Hawk talked some more about how the fans are going to end up loving AJ. Hawk told the "real" story about the card-playing incident in SF (he made AJ sound like a saint). Hawk said AJ married his daughter's college roommate, so Hawk knows AJ pretty damn well.

Before I left, I picked up a bat tube for the PK bat and two new baseball cubes for the AJ and Pods balls. Also got one of those grey early '80s logo Sox t-shirts from the credit card table...I didn't fill out an application, they just gave me one for free.

All in all it was a fun weekend. Great seminars and great collectibles. As for auto's, I got 13 different guys:
Pierzynski - sweet spot baseball
Pods- sweet spot baseball
Raines- sweet spot baseball
Ben Davis- sweet spot baseball
Jamie Burke- color 8"x10"
Konerko - silver sharpie on black bat
Cotts- 2004 Topps Total card
Adkins- '03 Donruss Champions card
Rowand- 2004 Topps Total card
Farmio- '81 Fleer card
Baines- '84 Topps card
Walker- '83 Topps rookie card
Politte- 2004 Topps Total card

One other thing. Not sure about the validity of this, but someone in the PK line mentioned that there is a large convention happening in Florida this weekend involving sports dealers, and that's one of the reasons Triple Threat and Grandstand couldn't make it this year. Take that for what its worth.

Wow- didn't mean for that to turn into such a long post.

Go Sox!

WhiteSoxNation
01-16-2005, 06:36 PM
My aunt went, she got me a wristband and Podsednik autograph WHOOO! Go Scott...

Brian26
01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
My aunt went, she got me a wristband and Podsednik autograph WHOOO! Go Scott...

Pods will definitely be wearing Jose's old #22 this year. AJ doesn't know his number yet (as of this morning).

mike squires
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey Henry~ What kind of music does Crede like. From what I've seen of him and posters comments from this year on thing is obvious...He's the white man's arol Baines...

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
My final Soxfest haul:

3 AJs...2 on sweet spot, 1 on side panel
2 Rowand sweet spots
Farmer, Everett, Harris, Politte and Greg Walker on the ball I carried all weekend.
Joey Cora on a card

30 or so pocket schedules...PM me with your address if you'd like one.

5 wristbands, all of which are spoken for.

Blue late 60's fitted hat
Biddle or Schoeneweis game used pullover
Game used hat
Old Comiskey slat

2 wicked hangovers.

zach074
01-16-2005, 06:52 PM
2 wicked hangovers.

Isn't that was Sox Fest is all about?

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 06:54 PM
One other thing. Not sure about the validity of this, but someone in the PK line mentioned that there is a large convention happening in Florida this weekend involving sports dealers, and that's one of the reasons Triple Threat and Grandstand couldn't make it this year. Take that for what its worth.

That person was correct. There is a trade show in Florida starting tomorrow and Pete and Rosemary from Grandstand will be there. That's where they get a line on what is available for sale this year, and they really do need to go there. I first heard this in mid-December when I was at Grandstand.

gosoxgosox
01-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Who's hot and who's not?

Hope this doesn't offend anyone. My wife attended the Family Seminar and thought that the guys were just adorable. So, I am wondering about their "other-halves". Are they just as adorable?

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:02 PM
That person was correct. There is a trade show in Florida starting tomorrow and Pete and Rosemary from Grandstand will be there. That's where they get a line on what is available for sale this year, and they really do need to go there. I first heard this in mid-December when I was at Grandstand.

Hal-

Thanks again for the 2 extras on Saturday. Much appreciated!

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 07:12 PM
I also took a survey from the Sox marketing team downstairs about the whole Soxfest experience. Two very interesting questions they asked: Would you be inclined to go more often if the event was held in the suburbs, and What do you enjoy most about the event? Autographs? Seminars? etc. So, I guess they are at least thinking about the possibility of moving Soxfest to somewhere in the burbs. Living downtown right now, I love that it is at the Hyatt. I'm sure if I lived in the suburbs, it would be easier to get to if it was out there. Still, I hope they keep it downtown. I think the whole event seems more special being in the city. It gives people a fun chance to spend the weekend downtown who regularly wouldn't make it into the city.

My better half got asked about this and told me about it later on. I think moving it to the burbs is a rotten idea. People who live in the burbs I'm sure disagree with me 100%, so I propose a compromise. Why not have a caravan like the Twins do? They send 3 or 4 players at a time all over Minnesota and the Dakotas spreading Twinkie love, and then supplement that with a convention at the HumpDome.

So why don't we take a page from their book? Let's have a caravan around northern Illinois and NW Indiana to reach out to fans who can't schlep into the city, and keep Soxfest itself downtown.

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 07:20 PM
My better half got asked about this and told me about it later on. I think moving it to the burbs is a rotten idea. People who live in the burbs I'm sure disagree with me 100%, so I propose a compromise. Why not have a caravan like the Twins do? They send 3 or 4 players at a time all over Minnesota and the Dakotas spreading Twinkie love, and then supplement that with a convention at the HumpDome.

So why don't we take a page from their book? Let's have a caravan around northern Illinois and NW Indiana to reach out to fans who can't schlep into the city, and keep Soxfest itself downtown.

I live in the burbs and think SoxFest should stay downtown. I don't want to go to Oak Brook or Rosemont for SoxFest. That would suck!

mike squires
01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I wish i was held in a more family friendly place. I have a one year old and it would be nice to have an indoor swiming pool that she and my wife could be while I make my rounds. A weight room would be cool as well..(or do they have one and just not know about it?) My wife would be much more willing to go. The years I've gone I see plenty of strollers with baby's and toddlers..No way would I put my baby through that. Too hot and too crowded.

soxwon
01-16-2005, 07:40 PM
who was at sundays seminar with KW?

how about that guy who layed into KW?
but ozzie really got heated back at him, it was great.

also some guy in front of me getting Burkes autograph, asked him are you going to CHARLOTTE?
Burke said he didnt know yet?
then he told me I HATE THAT WORD "CHARLOTTE", he was a bit miffed.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:52 PM

The Sox actually used to do something like that in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember seeing McDowell, Fernandez, Thigpen and Minoso at Fox Valley Mall in early '91 on the Sox Caravan.

My guess is that most of the players live down south or out west during the offseason. It's easier to fly EVERYBODY in for one big weekend than coordinate different flights and have a few guys here and a few guys there for over the course of a month. The scheduling for that might become tricky.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:54 PM
also some guy in front of me getting Burkes autograph, asked him are you going to CHARLOTTE?
Burke said he didnt know yet?
then he told me I HATE THAT WORD "CHARLOTTE", he was a bit miffed.

Soxwon, I think I saw you in line somewhere. Were you wearing a WSI nametag?

soxwon
01-16-2005, 07:56 PM
yes i made up tags.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:01 PM
yes i made up tags.

Scary.

Soxzilla
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Did you go to the garage sale? That was the only place they were selling them.

Also, I liked how Ozzie responded to the guy who challenged KW on the departures of Ordonez and Lee.

Dammit, that is the one place I didn't go ... alright well. If anyone gets done with their video, lmk if you want to sell it:cool: . No big deal I guess, I still have whitesox.com for my highlights!

I was at the Sunday Seminar with Kenny ... I was really tempted to go up to the mic and ask ...

"So Kenny, I was wondering at one point mid-season when you'd explore the option on reacquiring Roberto Alomar?"

:redneck

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Had a good time as well. We got autographs from Ben Davis and Joe Crede ... and I made Ben sign a picture of himself "Bangin'" Ben Davis:redneck. He probably thought I was a total whack-job, ha. Crede didn't really say much, he was probably mad at me because I made him sign a picture of Davis:tongue: , but he seemed a little out of it.

The seminar was great, unfortunately Lip was there, and made some comments ot Kenny about how he gave away our two .300 hitters:rolleyes: . But he got booed, so Kenny got some props. And my brother also got Williams' signature.

Niel Cotts was also on the escalator behind as we were leaving, but I didn't notice him right away, and I looked him and he looked at me, like he wasn't sure if I would say anything. But I just nodded and let him on his way.

Very cool stuff.

give brooks an email at : bboyer@chisox.com he may be able to get you a copy of it...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
I went to the Kenny seminar..and asked him about moneyball...he basically se dthat Billy Beane is full of S%^% without saying he's full of aformentioned substance...sed that it'll be interesting to see moneyball work without hudson and mulder....

also went to the brooks seminar.....asked about st perks and pricing....pretty satisfied with his answer...oh....and the granton books are coming back....
Gene

Dan H
01-16-2005, 09:21 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone who came to my booth to buy my book or offer encouragement. It was greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to relate this story. Leo Bauby, the photo collector who shared my booth, had a picture of a boy about five years old wearing a Sox cap. The cap covered a great deal of the boy's face. Leo gave it to Roland Hemond. Hemond wanted to know who the boy was. Leo said, "It's your son, Roland." Hemond, in his words, "was overwhelmed."

chisoxmike
01-16-2005, 09:24 PM

It was at the register's when you leave, and it was a DVD this time. Finally. But anyway, you don't want it. Its a rip-off, for $15 there's nothing special on it. Its a 15 minute DVD that shows very brief highlights like the comback game vs. Indians in April, the comeback that fell short against the Yankees in April. All with Dave Wills talking over the highlights. I wish they would put together something like the 93 tape. It just was game by game with no interurptions and they showed the highlights as is, like you were watching them on tv.

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 09:24 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone who came to my booth to buy my book or offer encouragement. It was greatly appreciated.

I also wanted to relate this story. Leo Bauby, the photo collector who shared my booth, had a picture of a boy about five years old wearing a Sox cap. The cap covered a great deal of the boy's face. Leo gave it to Roland Hemond. Hemond wanted to know who the boy was. Leo said, "It's your son, Roland." Hemond, in his words, "was overwhelmed."
Dan,
That's a cool story.....sorry I didnt pick up the book this weekend...I was pretty busy....
Gene

chisoxmike
01-16-2005, 09:25 PM

Thanks for signing my book Dan! I love it. Can't wait for your next one. :smile:

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Dan, good to meet you this weekend. I look forward to starting in on your book tomorrow on the flight home. I'm sure its an excellent read.

SouthBendSox
01-16-2005, 09:36 PM
the insane amount of kenny williams love floating around right now is really hard to fathom...

but its january... hope springs eternal I guess

Brian26
01-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I went to the Kenny seminar..and asked him about moneyball...he basically se dthat Billy Beane is full of S%^% without saying he's full of aformentioned substance...sed that it'll be interesting to see moneyball work without hudson and mulder....

also went to the brooks seminar.....asked about st perks and pricing....pretty satisfied with his answer...oh....and the granton books are coming back....
Gene

Were you the one complaining about paying full price for games against the Detroit Tigers in May as a season ticket holder?

BRDSR
01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
the insane amount of kenny williams love floating around right now is really hard to fathom...

but its january... hope springs eternal I guess

Not true my friend. There was absolutely no kenny love last year at SoxFest. I was at the Q and A last year and couldn't make it to SoxFest this year, but it sounds like the difference was like night and day. I think Sox fans truely feel like Kenny has done his part to put a winning ballclub on the field. The questions that remain are out of his control(Frank Thomas' health along with everyone performing up to their expectations). If this season goes sour I hope we don't go on a tear blaming Kenny Williams. I've agreed with every single move he's made this offseason, with the possible exception of Hermanson for $2 million.

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Were you the one complaining about paying full price for games against the Detroit Tigers in May as a season ticket holder?
that'd be me....although i wouldnt call it complaining...mor elike expressing concern....i get discounted seats for the cubs games, but not the tigers or any other april/may game?
Gene

Brian26
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
that'd be me....although i wouldnt call it complaining...mor elike expressing concern....i get discounted seats for the cubs games, but not the tigers or any other april/may game?
Gene

Well, Brooks had a reply that made sense. And he's right (along with the guy who wrote the book he quoted)...once you start discounting tickets on any level, you're lowering the perceived value of the product. There's a certain logic that says the Sox should get rid of the half-price nights altogether and really limit the discounts they give out.

Soxzilla
01-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Any word on when they plan on doing that autograph day, where you get to roam the field before the game and grab autos of the players? I was looking at the schedule and didn't see it listed ... unless it is the same thing as 'kids day.'

I only ask because my brother couldn't meet Rowand, which was almost his sole purpose of going, so he was a bit dissappointed.:cool:

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, Brooks had a reply that made sense. And he's right (along with the guy who wrote the book he quoted)...once you start discounting tickets on any level, you're lowering the perceived value of the product. There's a certain logic that says the Sox should get rid of the half-price nights altogether and really limit the discounts they give out.
i'm not super mad about it...i am glad they adjusted the pricing for individual game buyers, and it only affects me for 6 games, but i have the nagging feeling that they pulled an "oops, we gave them the wrong price" and just rolled with it...
Gene

SouthBendSox
01-16-2005, 10:35 PM
anything to alienate their base...

please, make us more like the Flubs

snobby as we wanna be

Brian26
01-16-2005, 11:10 PM
i'm not super mad about it...i am glad they adjusted the pricing for individual game buyers, and it only affects me for 6 games, but i have the nagging feeling that they pulled an "oops, we gave them the wrong price" and just rolled with it...
Gene

Hey, it was a good question. I thought you challenged them a little bit more than Hangar did with the request to bring back the scoreboard clock :D:

GiveMeSox
01-16-2005, 11:26 PM
If anyone was at soxfest today and attended the Q and A session with Ozzie and Kenny, did you notice the disgruntled man who went after Kenny. This man stepped up to the mic and layed into him with a bitter and disgusted tone about how could he get rid of two .300 hitters in Maggs and Carlos. He attacked him straight up. The crowd almost boo'd. But Kenny made the right move and adressed him with 2 things, that we never won anything with both those guys part of the all or nothing offense, and also he traded carlos, Maggs walked on his own. The crowd started cheering and clapping as if to back Kenny, me included. To which i yelled at KW, "Get Em Kenny"!! The irony is last year everyone would have sided with the disgruntled fan, this year we side with Kenny. I think all of us as a sox family wanted the change and are in general dissapointed in Maggs unloyalty. We are happier with betting pitching, speed, and defense and you know what. Not just WSI's know it, but all sox fans. I am writing this becuase i fell very proud to be part of such a LARGE and team savvy fanbase known as the Chicago White Sox, and today just further emphasized it.

GO SOX 05!!

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey, it was a good question. I thought you challenged them a little bit more than Hangar did with the request to bring back the scoreboard clock :D:cut henry some slack...he's had a long weekend with his tinfoil hat...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
If anyone was at soxfest today and attended the Q and A session with Ozzie and Kenny, did you notice the disgruntled man who went after Kenny. This man stepped up to the mic and layed into him with a bitter and disgusted tone about how could he get rid of two .300 hitters in Maggs and Carlos. He attacked him straight up. The crowd almost boo'd. But Kenny made the right move and adressed him with 2 things, that we never won anything with both those guys part of the all or nothing offense, and also he traded carlos, Maggs walked on his own. The crowd started cheering and clapping as if to back Kenny, me included. To which i yelled at KW, "Get Em Kenny"!! The irony is last year everyone would have sided with the disgruntled fan, this year we side with Kenny. I think all of us as a sox family wanted the change and are in general dissapointed in Maggs unloyalty. We are happier with betting pitching, speed, and defense and you know what. Not just WSI's know it, but all sox fans. I am writing this becuase i fell very proud to be part of such a LARGE and team savvy fanbase known as the Chicago White Sox, and today just further emphasized it.

GO SOX 05!!
I'm not 100% convinced we're going in the right direction, but what that guy did was still tacky....if you're going to hit management...at least keep the anger in check...i was going to ask kenny for his resignation,but opted to ask him how he'd grade himself as gm.....
Gene

p.s. he gave himself an "f" for results, but said that f is for not winning a ws championship...

Mots09
01-17-2005, 12:13 AM
It was great to meet you guys. Hangar I am sorry if I made fun of you, but I don't remember when I did it? Lastnight wasn't a pretty night for me we went to Mother Hubbards and left at 4:45am......

and yes Hangar u did make up the nick name "south side Willie" I think he really dug it. More manly than 'Peapod'

Also you want to see that pic of arow crede and us flipping the cam the bird?

Also Aro said something that struck me as very humble, "I love coming down here and signing and posing for pics. The sox fans have been behind me even when I was going through some growing pains. Thus I feel this is the least I can do."
Very Classy

JDub35
01-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I just want to say that I had a good time at Sox Fest this weekend and it was great hanging out with all the WSI people. Very nice people

GO SOX!

Iwritecode
01-17-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm not 100% convinced we're going in the right direction, but what that guy did was still tacky....if you're going to hit management...at least keep the anger in check...i was going to ask kenny for his resignation,but opted to ask him how he'd grade himself as gm.....
Gene

p.s. he gave himself an "f" for results, but said that f is for not winning a ws championship...

I was standing in the back of the room when you stepped up to the mike. I have to admit I was a little nervous when I realized who you were. I have to give you credit for restraining yourself.

:cool:

DrCrawdad
01-17-2005, 02:46 AM
he gave himself an "f" for results, but said that f is for not winning a ws championship...

FWIW that candor is honorable at least. It's better than the guy the Bears had as offensive coordinator who gave himself a B this past season.

ewokpelts
01-17-2005, 02:51 AM
FWIW that candor is honorable at least. It's better than the guy the Bears had as offensive coordinator who gave himself a B this past season.When I saw how big of a media presence had gathered for Steff's showdown with Kenny, I figured I go all out and see how he'd grade himself.
Gene

OurBitchinMinny
01-17-2005, 02:54 AM

GO SOX 05!!

He paid for his ticket and has every right to voice his opinion just like KW has every right to explain himself and he is the one who has the final say. The Lee trade at face value is horrible. Posednik isnt even half the player lee is or will be. Who knows what you get from vizcaino. I know it freed up some more money for AJ and hernandez. On paper our lineup is way weaker, but the staff and pen (couldnt get much worse than last year) are better. Maggs looks stupid now for turning down the sox offer, but if maggs was healthy, the sox backloaded offer would have been blown out of the water. Maggs, maggs and not frank, carried this team for much of the last 5 years. While Im not quick to get on board the same boat as boras, Im not gonna take the sox word at face value either. They have a history of treating franchise changing players like **** (see thomas and fisk). Why did the bridges have to be burned? What would have been wrong with offering a 1 year deal loaded with incentives? Maggs was this franchise. I know KW is doing what he believes is best for the white sox and I support this team and even harbor hope that they can compete for the division title, but the way so many guys have turned on a guy who did so much for one team. I know for me, I will be sick to my stomach when I see magglio ordonez roaming the outfield of the urinal next year. So bad mouth maggs all you want. He gave this team everything he had and now will get back at them the way it will hurt them the worst (outside of signing with the twins or tribe).

doublem23
01-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Paying for a ticket doesn't give you the right to be an *******.

Iwritecode
01-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Maggs, maggs and not frank, carried this team for much of the last 5 years.

Carried them where? Second place? :?:

IMHO it was Frank that put this team on his back and carried them into the playoffs in 2000. He was the AL MVP that year.

Not that I'm taking anything away from Maggs. He was a great player while he was here and a big part of that 2000 division title but he didn't take this team anywhere Frank couldn't have had he stayed healthy.

That being said, I realize that in baseball, unlike basketball, you need more than one great player to make a good team.

pinwheels3530
01-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Had a great time everyone can't wait to hang out with everyone again soon!!

doublem23
01-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Carried them where? Second place? :?:

IMHO it was Frank that put this team on his back and carried them into the playoffs in 2000. He was the AL MVP that year.

Agree 100%. Maggs was awesome, a solid everyday player who did his job and did it very well, but 2000 and 2003, the best two teams we've fielded since 1994, it is no coincidence that Frank Thomas had mega years in them. He was, and might still be, the gear that turns this offense.

That, and for all the stupid **** Frank has said in his career, he never said, "Boy, I want to play for the Cubs. I dreamed about hitting between Sammy Sosa and Aramis Ramirez last night."

:hurt
Best player in Sox history

:maggs
Assclown

fquaye149
01-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Sox fans remind me of an old Emo Phillips joke...modified for the situation:

I was walking on a bridge and I saw a man who was about to jump off so I ran up to him and shouted "Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he asked
"There's so much to live for!"
"Like what?" he asked
"Well... where are you from?" I asked.
"Chicago," he said.
"Really? Me too!" I replied, "City or suburbs?"
"Suburbs," he said.
"Me too!" I replied, "White Sox or Cubs?"
"White Sox," he said.
"Oh my God! Me too!" I said, "So how about Kenny Williams. What do you think about him?"
"Um, he's all right. I think he's trying to win and he makes some good moves."
"Die heretic!" I said and I pushed him off the bridge.

TornLabrum
01-17-2005, 07:54 AM

This is more evidence that Brooks listens to what's being said here at WSI. PHG has said this on numerous occasions.

thepaulbowski
01-17-2005, 08:45 AM
My haul for the weekend:

Friday:
Jermaine Dye, Tim Raines, Ben Davis, Neal Cotts, Jaime Burke and AJ Piezinski all on their own baseballs. Rowand on baseball card and Cora on a piece of paper.

Skipped Saturday

Sunday: Pods on his own ball. AJ on a card. Politte, Adkins & Gload on pictures.

My only two purchases of the weekend from the garage sale were the White Sox wristband & and an autographed Jeremy Reed baseball. I did buy one of those gift bags and got an autographed Magglio picture. I tried to keep my spending in check this weekend.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Why did the bridges have to be burned? What would have been wrong with offering a 1 year deal loaded with incentives? Maggs was this franchise.The CBA says that they cannot offer a contract less than 80% of the previous year.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Check out ChicagoSports.com today. Ozzie's remark about Lee sliding into second like his wife was there turning the double play made the Trib.

Hangar18
01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
It was great to meet you guys. Hangar I am sorry if I made fun of you, but I don't remember when I did it? Lastnight wasn't a pretty night for me we went to Mother Hubbards and left at 4:45am......

and yes Hangar u did make up the nick name "south side Willie" I think he really dug it. More manly than 'Peapod'

Also you want to see that pic of arow crede and us flipping the cam the bird?

Also Aro said something that struck me as very humble, "I love coming down here and signing and posing for pics. The sox fans have been behind me even when I was going through some growing pains. Thus I feel this is the least I can do."
Very Classy

ARow is one of the coolest players Ive ever met. Way back in the day, at his first SoxFest, we were actually in his line, and he met my little nephew and cousin, and later that nite, at the Bar, We were eating Pizza and the kids were looking over all the merchandise we'd picked up, and Rowand goes cruising thru a Very Empty Bar (not anymore) and saw me and stopped and shook my hand. I asked him when he was done at his table, to come back and take some pics, he said SURE. The kids were in awe that an Actual
Ballplayer was saying hello to their uncle and being really nice.

I can relate the same story Saturday nite, Arow asked where my Nephew and younger cousin were, I told him they were there earlier, but had gone home already, and he Said he bets theyre alot bigger now, and I told him yeah, esp my cousin Greg, theyre both as tall as me now, and he said to say
Hello to them. I went home later and told the kids that, and they thought that was the COOLEST thing ever. A thumbs up to our own Aaron.

robiwho
01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Who's hot and who's not?

Hope this doesn't offend anyone. My wife attended the Family Seminar and thought that the guys were just adorable. So, I am wondering about their "other-halves". Are they just as adorable?

Their wives were all really beautiful and seemed really nice. They all made cute couples. I ran into Aaron and his wife later in the day and they were both great.

While there are obvious financial benefits, I couldn't help thinking how hard the baseball life has to be on families. Farmer talked about how he hired a teacher to homeschool his daughter when he was on the road. I think it was Cliff Politte's wife who said she would probably stop travelling with him when they had kids in school.

It was funny when they talked about the Sox-Cubs wives softball game. They were all happy that Grudzielanek wasn't on the team anymore, because his wife dominated last year's game.

Mots09
01-17-2005, 08:29 PM
I made out with 7 signed balls:

Rock Raines
PK
Ozzie
Carlos May
Minnie
Joe Crede
A Row

and my fav a pic that Hawk signed that has "HE GONE" on it.

cburns
01-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Were they good kissers?

ewokpelts
01-17-2005, 08:39 PM

Rock Raines
PK
Ozzie
Carlos May
Minnie
Joe Crede
A Row

and my fav a pic that Hawk signed that has "HE GONE" on it.
did anyone get thier hawk-pimp pictures signed?
Gene

whitesoxwilkes
01-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Gene

No...only time I was anywhere near him is when he went past me on the escalator. Doh!

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Waited in line for 3 hours Sunday for Konerko. Was the 3rd person in line stayed there from 10 to 1. Got all my game used stuff signed by him. Then saw him again as he and Rowand were leaving. Got a nice photo with him. Great Great Day!! :D:

Brian26
01-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Waited in line for 3 hours Sunday for Konerko. Was the 3rd person in line stayed there from 10 to 1. Got all my game used stuff signed by him. Then saw him again as he and Rowand were leaving. Got a nice photo with him. Great Great Day!! :D:

PK was awesome- he started signing at 12:45 (instead of his scheduled start time of 1:15). I must have been right behind you...I was deep in the 2nd row. Well worth the 2 hr wait for me....he's got a great autograph too.

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2005, 10:14 PM
PK was awesome- he started signing at 12:45 (instead of his scheduled start time of 1:15). I must have been right behind you...I was deep in the 2nd row. Well worth the 2 hr wait for me....he's got a great autograph too.

Yea he was doing the hitting seminar right next to stage 2 and that got out at 12:45 and he came right over and got down to business. That was nice. My butt was getting soar.

Brian26
01-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Yea he was doing the hitting seminar right next to stage 2 and that got out at 12:45 and he came right over and got down to business. That was nice. My butt was getting soar.

You hate to associate a guy's intelligence or mental capacity with how quickly he can sign his autograph, but did anyone compare PK's line at Stage 2 and Willie's line at Stage 1 by noon? I know PK got a head start, but it's amazing how quickly he flew through those autographs. Willie's line was moving quite slowly. Tim Raines was a slow one too.

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2005, 10:23 PM
You hate to associate a guy's intelligence or mental capacity with how quickly he can sign his autograph, but did anyone compare PK's line at Stage 2 and Willie's line at Stage 1 by noon? I know PK got a head start, but it's amazing how quickly he flew through those autographs. Willie's line was moving quite slowly. Tim Raines was a slow one too.

AJ and Pod also went quick. I wasn't in there line but was behind them waiting for Konerko. The VIP with Raines and Everett was the slowest line ever!! It took us forever.

Rocky Soprano
01-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Gene

I bought that Sports Illustrated and got it signed. When I got up to him I said, Hey Hawk check out this good looking guy. He said oh man you just ruined my day, check me out. Then I asked for a picture and he said sure come around here. I got a nice pic with him, then he said, hey I want to see you in the park this year and I said you will. He responded well Im going to remember you now so see you there. VERY AWESOME!

Iwritecode
01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I just wanted to add that I had a great time (as always) this weekend. It was fun to meet up with old friends as well some new ones and being able to put a face with a screenname.

It was fun being able to talk with the players in the bar although I was a little disappointed that there weren't as many as last year.

I got autographs from most of the current players. Cotts, Adkins, Burke, Davis, Pollite, Gload, Everett (signed an AS jersey), Posednik, Dye, Piersznski, , Uribe, Raines and Minuso (in the bar Friday night).

Rocky Soprano
01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Woo Hoo! I just checked the pics for SoxFest and I there I was!

Wearing the "white" Sox Hat and Jersy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/gosox21/mesoxfest.jpg

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Time for a haircut, Rock :D:

Rocky Soprano
01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Time for a haircut, Rock :D:

:redneck LOL. Good thing Im wearing a white hat and not a black one. If not then it would really be hard to tell us apart! :roflmao:

Too bad that girl is covering up my wife, she is behind me in a grey sweater.

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 02:56 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/gosox21/mesoxfest.jpg

My back is in the picture with brooks boyer...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I bought that Sports Illustrated and got it signed. When I got up to him I said, Hey Hawk check out this good looking guy. He said oh man you just ruined my day, check me out. Then I asked for a picture and he said sure come around here. I got a nice pic with him, then he said, hey I want to see you in the park this year and I said you will. He responded well Im going to remember you now so see you there. VERY AWESOME!
That's what happens when you "ruin" his day.
Gene

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Mayhaps they were talking with the fans. I wasnt in the auto lines, but maybe, just maybe, Paulie was signing more and talking less.
Gene

Chrisaway
01-18-2005, 10:49 PM

Yeah I had a short conversation with Raines welcoming him back and such and both him and Willie were standing up to pose for pics for every other fan thats probably why that line took longer.

ChiSoxGirl
01-20-2005, 12:11 AM
I just wanted to add that I had a great time (as always) this weekend. It was fun to meet up with old friends as well some new ones and being able to put a face with a screenname.

It was fun being able to talk with the players in the bar although I was a little disappointed that there weren't as many as last year.

I got autographs from most of the current players. Cotts, Adkins, Burke, Davis, Pollite, Gload, Everett (signed an AS jersey), Posednik, Dye, Piersznski, , Uribe, Raines and Minuso (in the bar Friday night).

I'm a new member to White Sox Interactive, but have been reading it for well over a year now. After SoxFest this weekend, I just decided I had to join!

I had a great time at SoxFest, as usual. :smile: This was my 12th annual and I stayed the weekend. I always enjoy seeing the players in the hotel bar, but as you said, there weren't as many down there as in years past; I think the secret's out! However, I did snag a picture with Aaron Rowand on Saturday night as he was coming in- we were sitting right by the stairs.

As for my autographs, I got Konerko, Crede, Gload, & LaRussa (after his seminar) on Saturday, also getting a picture with Tony LaRussa, which was awesome. I scored autos with Pierzynski, Podsednik, Cotts, Adkins, & Politte on Sunday, along with pictures with each player.

A funny story about my picture with Cotts. My camera has the red-eye reduction, so it flashes 3 times, which most people don't know, including Cotts. He sat down after the first flash and let out an "oh s**t" when he realized the picture hadn't been taken yet, and looked around to see if there were any little kids around! He & I were hysterical laughing, as were quite a few people in line in the front row, and he gladly took another one with me! :D: Something I loved about Cotts- he stood up and leaned in for pictures with people, which was very cool.

I attended Konerko's hitting clinic on Sunday, which was fantastic. He gave an excellent clinic and kept my attention throughout. I had a wristband for the Adkins/Politte signing and had intentions of leaving the clinic early, but it was so interesting that I stuck around. I even asked an intelligent question of Konerko, to which I received a very thorough response; he looked rather surprised such a question came from a girl!

I stopped in the Brooks Boyer seminar on Sunday afternoon and just loved it. Where else can you go and see your VP of Marketing on a panel, dressed in jeans, gym shoes, a '59 Aparicio jersey, complete with his SoxPride wristband?! Sidenote about the wristbands- LOVED the fact that each player wore one! I have mine.... Do you all have yours?

Overall, another excellent SoxFest experience. I can't wait 'til Feb. 16 when pitchers & catchers report! :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
ARow is one of the coolest players Ive ever met. Way back in the day, at his first SoxFest, we were actually in his line, and he met my little nephew and cousin, and later that nite, at the Bar, We were eating Pizza and the kids were looking over all the merchandise we'd picked up, and Rowand goes cruising thru a Very Empty Bar (not anymore) and saw me and stopped and shook my hand. I asked him when he was done at his table, to come back and take some pics, he said SURE. The kids were in awe that an Actual
Ballplayer was saying hello to their uncle and being really nice.

I can relate the same story Saturday nite, Arow asked where my Nephew and younger cousin were, I told him they were there earlier, but had gone home already, and he Said he bets theyre alot bigger now, and I told him yeah, esp my cousin Greg, theyre both as tall as me now, and he said to say
Hello to them. I went home later and told the kids that, and they thought that was the COOLEST thing ever. A thumbs up to our own Aaron.

Yay for Aaron Rowand! I always said he & Kelly Wunsch (I missed him this year) were the two friendliest, down-to-earth guys on the team. It's great to know there are more stories out there to back that belief up. :smile:

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Yay for Aaron Rowand! I always said he & Kelly Wunsch (I missed him this year) were the two friendliest, down-to-earth guys on the team. It's great to know there are more stories out there to back that belief up. :smile:

You can add Crede to that list too. We both probably had one (or two, or three) too many and we started talking about my college playing days (softball) where I was a hell of a bunter. I ended up instructing him how to bunt Saturday night, but the funny part is...he appeared to be listening (of course, he was probably just being polite, but if his bunting improves... :wink: )

Iwritecode
01-20-2005, 01:57 PM
You can add Crede to that list too. We both probably had one (or two, or three) too many

I've got a good picture of him and Henry. Together they are holding like 3 or 4 beers... :cool:

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I've got a good picture of him and Henry. Together they are holding like 3 or 4 beers... :cool:

LOL, yeah. Joe was two-fisting when he first came up. My guess is that peope were buying him beers. Heck, they make a lot more money than I do...they should buy me the beer! :cool:

JoseCanseco6969
01-20-2005, 02:01 PM

I also got a picture with hawk and I just figured id stick my head in and get a quick shot, but he insisted that i come around and take one with him. Awesome guy! I just wish my copy of the Sports Illustrated issue came earlier. I just got it tuesday as opposed to saturday like the guy promised
:angry::angry::angry:
Well, Sox Fest 2006 i guess will have to do.:D:

Iwritecode
01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
You can add Crede to that list too. We both probably had one (or two, or three) too many and we started talking about my college playing days (softball) where I was a hell of a bunter. I ended up instructing him how to bunt Saturday night, but the funny part is...he appeared to be listening (of course, he was probably just being polite, but if his bunting improves... :wink: )

A little off-topic...

I love fast-pitch softball and played it for years. My one question is why when girls play do they bunt so much? I've watched a few local tourneys around here and even on TV and a lot of the time I'll see 3 or 4 batters in a row all bunt...

Rocky Soprano
01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I also got a picture with hawk and I just figured id stick my head in and get a quick shot, but he insisted that i come around and take one with him. Awesome guy! I just wish my copy of the Sports Illustrated issue came earlier. I just got it tuesday as opposed to saturday like the guy promised
:angry::angry::angry:
Well, Sox Fest 2006 i guess will have to do.:D:

I gotta post a picture of that soon. It was awesome to see his reaction.

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
A little off-topic...

I love fast-pitch softball and played it for years. My one question is why when girls play do they bunt so much? I've watched a few local tourneys around here and even on TV and a lot of the time I'll see 3 or 4 batters in a row all bunt...

My team didn't bunt as much as some other college teams do. My guess would be an attempt to keep manufacturing runs. Fastpitch softball is a much faster game than baseball. You can't leadoff until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, there is no infield grass, the bases are only 40 feet away...etc. With all those factors, there is a very good chance of getting base via the bunt (it isn't always a guaranteed sacrifice) especially if the person can drag bunt from the left side. There's also another factor...most women generally aren't as strong as men, so lack of power hitters. Sure, there are quite a few power hitters. But most of them are built like Willie Harris...and we know how often he knocks it our of the park. :wink:

JoseCanseco6969
01-20-2005, 02:20 PM
r...oh....and the granton books are coming back....
Gene

Awesome to hear! The granton books allowed me to take tons of buddies of mine that normally wouldnt go to the games cause of the buy one get one deal. Any specific details regarding the books for this year would be appreciated if you got em.

ewokpelts
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
If that's the case, ozzie owes you that beer money...as a "consultants'" fee...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Awesome to hear! The granton books allowed me to take tons of buddies of mine that normally wouldnt go to the games cause of the buy one get one deal. Any specific details regarding the books for this year would be appreciated if you got em.
same as last year....ther's also a separate thread about them in the clubhouse...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
A little off-topic...

maybe they play ozzie ball.....
Gene

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
If that's the case, ozzie owes you that beer money...as a "consultants'" fee...
Gene

LOL...I doubt that Joe was even paying attention.

Iwritecode
01-20-2005, 02:39 PM
My team didn't bunt as much as some other college teams do. My guess would be an attempt to keep manufacturing runs. Fastpitch softball is a much faster game than baseball. You can't leadoff until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, there is no infield grass, the bases are only 40 feet away...etc. With all those factors, there is a very good chance of getting base via the bunt (it isn't always a guaranteed sacrifice) especially if the person can drag bunt from the left side. There's also another factor...most women generally aren't as strong as men, so lack of power hitters. Sure, there are quite a few power hitters. But most of them are built like Willie Harris...and we know how often he knocks it our of the park. :wink:

I always thought it was lack of bat speed. With the ball coming in that fast, they figured just sticking the bat in front of the ball was easier than actually trying to swing and hit it.

I was always a dead pull hitter (center to left-center) and just hit the crap out of the ball and ran like hell. Of course the compitetion I was playing against wasn't nearly as tough as any women's college team... :smile:

Iwritecode
01-20-2005, 02:42 PM
maybe they play ozzie ball.....
Gene

I did see a catcher get completely steam-rolled one time. Those women can be dangerous sometimes.

Ozzie would have been high-fiving her (the runner) in the dugout though. :smile:

Hangar18
01-20-2005, 02:54 PM

I saw one of those pictures ......theyre great. I have the Miller Lites because
I moved to the next table. The big beer someone got me, so I didnt want
to waste that one. I think Crede was doing the same .......Plus it got really
crowded :smile:

Palehose13
01-20-2005, 07:17 PM
I always thought it was lack of bat speed. With the ball coming in that fast, they figured just sticking the bat in front of the ball was easier than actually trying to swing and hit it.

I was always a dead pull hitter (center to left-center) and just hit the crap out of the ball and ran like hell. Of course the compitetion I was playing against wasn't nearly as tough as any women's college team... :smile:

Well, a fast pitch swing is very different than a baseball swing. You are correct that you don't have as much time as in baseball, but when you watch again notice how most hitters start their swing just as the pitcher's hand is at her hip. If it's a ball...you check swing. If the bat didn't get off the shoulder...she was taking all the way.

Also, the softball swing is quick wrist action, which makes it more of an "Ozzie ball" type game. College teams (and maybe HS teams now too) do a lot of quick wrist drills.

And about being brutal...yeah, it can be. I had quite a few concussions in college. One was when I barrelled into the catcher at home. The other two were when "Big Bertha" laid down a sac bunt (I played 2B) and my third baseman (my roommate) threw the freaking ball on the outside of the foul line. Of course now I had to cross the runners path to catch the ball. Don't worry, I hung on as I got plowed over. :wink: