PDA

View Full Version : MLB Extra Innings

Chisox003
01-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Anybody have it? I would really like to get it for this season, but I need some info. on it first. How do I get it? How much is it? Is it worth it? How many games per week?

Anybody who knows about it holla back..Thanks

jenmcm76
01-16-2005, 07:37 AM
I've gotten the Extra Innings package for the last 2 years, so here's what I know:

You have to sign up through either your cable or satellite provider, usually starting some time in March. If you have cable, I believe you have to have digital cable, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You don't get every game with the MLB Extra Innings package, only up to 60/week. Last year they showed 115 Sox games. This doesn't sound like much, but most of the remaining games were shown on national networks - 29 on WGN, 5 on ESPN/ESPN2, and 4 on FOX. So even though I lived WAY outside the Chicago area the last couple of years, I still got to see 153 Sox games. The exact number will vary based on who your home market team is, since Extra Innings only shows out-of-market games. For example, if your home market team is Detroit, Extra Innings won't show any Sox-Detroit games - but the local FSN or Comcast will. I believe the list price of the package is $169 for the whole season, but I signed up early last year and got it for $149 - DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!! If you're not sure, check out the free preview that they always have during the first week of the season.

One note is that you only get Hawk and DJ about half the time. The other half of the time, you get the opponent's announcers. It is nice to see what the other half thinks of our guys from time to time, though.

You can check out the InDemand website for info, but there's not a whole lot there right now: http://www.indemand.com/sports (http://www.indemand.com/sports/)

johnny_mostil
01-16-2005, 10:08 AM
I've gotten the Extra Innings package for the last 2 years, so here's what I know:

You have to sign up through either your cable or satellite provider, usually starting some time in March. If you have cable, I believe you have to have digital cable, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You don't get every game with the MLB Extra Innings package, only up to 60/week. Last year they showed 115 Sox games. This doesn't sound like much, but most of the remaining games were shown on national networks - 29 on WGN, 5 on ESPN/ESPN2, and 4 on FOX.

Generally, most of the unavailable games aren't there because of national blackout clauses.

Last year , if your ISP was Verizon or anybody else who bundled in MSN Premium, you could catch the missing games over the Internet via the radio relay (when it was working). If not, the subscription was really cheap -- fifteen bucks or so -- for the radio-only.

Whitesoxtom
01-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Generally, most of the unavailable games aren't there because of national blackout clauses.

Last year , if your ISP was Verizon or anybody else who bundled in MSN Premium, you could catch the missing games over the Internet via the radio relay (when it was working). If not, the subscription was really cheap -- fifteen bucks or so -- for the radio-only.

It is a great package if you like to watch alot of baseball. I had it last year and loved it. I watched a west coast night game almost every night at bed time.

Certain games are not shown for various reasons. Blackouts for ESPN, FOX national telecasts are the most common reason. Also, if a game is on an obscure network that Directv does not carry, the game will not be shown.

Most games are shown and you will get a schedule showing exactly which games will be aired.

I found myself not watching much baseball after the Sox were eliminated, so I didn't get my full moneys worth.

Baby Fisk
01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree with everyone above. I love the Extra Innings package and will definitely order it again this year (I order it through my digital cable service).

JUribe1989
01-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I had it last year and the best part was getting to hear all of the different announcers. My favorite is still Hawk, but I love the Royals and Pirates announcers as well.

Medford Bobby
01-16-2005, 01:06 PM
:angry: The worst market in the world to live in is Las Vegas. That town is considered a muliple market city. For some reason it's a Diamondback,Dodgers, Padres,Giants and A's. Also I think the Rockies or Angels are part of the mix. So If the local A's station is showing the A's -White Sox game, you won't get the Chicago Comcast feed because it's filtering in the A's local market, EVEN though you can't get the local A's station...it's very screwed up there, lots of complaints from fan's who move to Vegas and get the MLB package:whiner:

Chisox003
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys....I'm definitely getting it if its available to me...

One last questions...Is W.O.W. cable considered digital? I hope I can get it through this, because WOW is my cable and internet service...Anybody know?

Thanks again!

rmusacch
01-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks a lot guys....I'm definitely getting it if its available to me...

One last questions...Is W.O.W. cable considered digital? I hope I can get it through this, because WOW is my cable and internet service...Anybody know?

Thanks again!

Are you that interested in watching other teams' games. Since you live in Chicago, don't you get all the Sox games? I have had it the last four seasons being I live in Memphis to watch the Sox. I found myself watching less and less this past season and will probably not get it for this season plus I am moving to Dallas.

Rocklive99
01-16-2005, 06:05 PM
It's nice, I had for 2 years, but I dropped it this offseason. I didn't watch that it that much last year since I'm not home all the time and it seemed like there were a lot of national broadcasts last year. I am thinking of the MLB.TV deal since it costs less, good use for me on the go with my laptop, and shows a lot more games because they show "over the air" local feeds, which would be WCIU for us.

If undecided, they usually do a week or two free preview during the first week of the season, but it probably costs less if you order it earlier

Whitesoxtom
01-16-2005, 06:34 PM
It's nice, I had for 2 years, but I dropped it this offseason. I didn't watch that it that much last year since I'm not home all the time and it seemed like there were a lot of national broadcasts last year. I am thinking of the MLB.TV deal since it costs less, good use for me on the go with my laptop, and shows a lot more games because they show "over the air" local feeds, which would be WCIU for us.

If undecided, they usually do a week or two free preview during the first week of the season, but it probably costs less if you order it earlier

MLB.TV is nice if you have no other options. Unless something changes this year, they don't show obscure broadcasts. Obscure broadcasts are normally not shown because they may not be fed via satellite. MLB.TV falls under the same blackout restricitons as Extra Innings, though it is tougher to track as you can login from anywhere.

Also, MLB.TV has about a 10 minute delay, but that is no big deal if you have nothing else.

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 09:06 PM
:angry: The worst market in the world to live in is Las Vegas. That town is considered a muliple market city. For some reason it's a Diamondback,Dodgers, Padres,Giants and A's. Also I think the Rockies or Angels are part of the mix. So If the local A's station is showing the A's -White Sox game, you won't get the Chicago Comcast feed because it's filtering in the A's local market, EVEN though you can't get the local A's station...it's very screwed up there, lots of complaints from fan's who move to Vegas and get the MLB package:whiner:
makes me want to NOT move to vegas...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 09:08 PM
MLB.TV is nice if you have no other options. Unless something changes this year, they don't show obscure broadcasts. Obscure broadcasts are normally not shown because they may not be fed via satellite. MLB.TV falls under the same blackout restricitons as Extra Innings, though it is tougher to track as you can login from anywhere.

Also, MLB.TV has about a 10 minute delay, but that is no big deal if you have nothing else.
no..the games are on a minute or less delay...i had extra innings and had a free trial of mbl.tv through my isp....played a game on tv and online...they almost synced up...the mlb.radio on sprint cell phones is about 2 mins...
Gene