PDA

View Full Version : The Most Overrated Team

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 02:45 AM
Who do you guys think is the most overrated team in baseball right now??????
I would have to say................ the Red Sox, the thing is their pitching is very overrated.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-16-2005, 02:54 AM
I know I'm going to get bashed by some for saying this but the Cleveland Indians. I've seen some people picking them to be the AL Central champs. I know they're a young team and they were great offensively last year, but they could all fall back down to earth. Their bullpen is still horrible and they probably made it even worse by acquiring Arthur Rhodes for Matt Lawton. If Juan Gonzalez makes the team, you can say goodbye to the team chemistry on the indians. He's a bigger headcase than Milton Bradley that they shipped off last season.

Whitesox029
01-16-2005, 03:05 AM
Cubs. The Trib picked them to win 100 games in 2004. I mean, come on. It's the Cubs we're talking about here people. Maddux is old, Rusch is iffy, the bullpen is non-existent, the offense is shaky as always with Alou gone and Sosa the clubhouse tumor.
Predictions:
Maddux will fail, Rusch will falter, the committee of closers will blow more games than they save in the month of April, Sosa will explode at Baker and take a bat to the non-salsa-music-playing boombox, and the beloved Flubs will finish 80-82, 4th place behind St. Louis, Houston, and a resurgent Cincinnatti club.

EDIT: Ok that last part might be wishful thinking, but 3rd place certainly isn't out of the question.

fquaye149
01-16-2005, 05:54 AM
I've got to say the Detroit Tigers. Since there are actually delusionally pessimistic Sox fans on this board who actually EXPECT the Sox to finish below the hapless Tigers (yes, they are STILL hapless), there is no way I can call any other team in baseball more overrated than a certain sub-.500 team who people expect to finish 2nd or 3rd above a team that is at least a .500 team.

Oh and the Indians with their no 3-4-5 in the rotation and world's ****tiest bullpen who are being picked as a "sleeper" to win this division are up there with overrated teams.

Other overrateds:

Rob Neyer picked the Brewers to contend as a sleepr. Not a chance.

The Mariners are being considered contenders after the Sexson/Beltre offseason. Not a chance.

The Mets if they sign Delgado will "have to be considered contenders." No way.

The Orioles if they sign Maggs will get press. Too bad. Won't do much.

There will be talk about the good young squad the Devil Rays have. Nope.

We might even hear some whimpers about Texas. Sorry.

Banix12
01-16-2005, 06:33 AM
The Padres. They appear to be a pretty popular pick to win the NL West this year. The division on the whole appears down. Nobody really trusts the moves made by the dodgers and the Giants (another overrated pick in its own right) are seemingly too old. This team last year looked pretty good but their starting pitching still appears suspect to me. They lost their top starter in Wells and replaced him with Woody Williams, not exactly raising the bar. I also heard they are renovating their new stadium a bit to make it a bit more friendly to their struggling hitters, which I think is going to backfire for their own pitchers.

LongLiveFisk
01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Cubs. For the past 2 or 3 years it seems as though way too many people just expect them to WIN the World Series (not just steamroll over everyone in the playoffs, but the win the WS as well). Come on, I mean Mark Prior is GOOD; he's not GOD. Since these two words are so close in spelling, people drinking Cubbie-blue kool-aid seem to have mixed them up and it has clouded their thinking.

Not that they need a special reason to be disillusioned or anything.

buehrle4cy05
01-16-2005, 11:07 AM
It's easily the Diamondbacks. They signed Russ Ortiz, who wasn't even in the Braves top 3 starters in the playoffs last year, Troy Glaus, who was hurt for most of 2004, and they traded Randy Johnson and got Javier Vazquez, who is coming of the worst year of his career.

veeter
01-16-2005, 11:25 AM
1. Cubs
2. Mets
3. Red Sox

Clarkdog
01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
It's the Cubs. No question.

What exactly have they done to improve this year? The Trib article about the Cubs prospects looking bright because of the "huge losses" sufffered by it's division opponents was laughable. No doubt the Astros lost a major piece when the lost Beltran and Hidalgo - and Clemens return in up for grabs. But the Cardinals don't look that bad despite losing Womack, Renteria, and Matheny. They have a leadoff man in Eckstein; and even without Renteria, a lineup with Walker, Pujols, Edmonds, Cabrera and Rolen is still formidable. Plus they improved thier pitching (considered a soft spot) by adding Mulder.

The Cubs lost their best clutch hitter in Alou and replaced him with Hollandsworth, a great 4th OF, but I don't see him as an everyday guy. They're going to be stuck with a cancer in Sosa, and decided to pass one of thier most consistent starters in Clement, by signing Rusch. Garciaparra, and Walker are nice signings, but they still don't change the base clogging makeup of the Cubs. Plus the bullpen is no better than it was at the close of the season. And anyone who thinks Joe Borowski is the answer...well I have bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

RKMeibalane
01-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Cubs

Baby Fisk
01-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Cubs

*waiting for Homefish to pipe in about how the Cubs are in fact the most UNDERRATED team in baseball and we will be eating our words in October.*

HoustonAstros967
01-16-2005, 01:15 PM
I going to have to say the Mets. Just because they signed Carlos and Pedro doesn't mean much. Pedro is starting to slow down and Carlos hasn't really proved himself as a consistant hitter. They had a big offseason but I think that the Braves are gonna take the NL East again. If the Marlins get Delgado I could see them having a big season as well.

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Another overrated team is the Nationals the former Expos. People consider them as contenders, but they have no pitching. Their only good pitcher is Livian Hernandez.

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 01:32 PM
don't forget they still don't have a LF

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
I guess I would go with the Cubs, just because they haven't really addressed their problems from last year. Their offseason has been akin to the Sox 2003-2004 offseason. They remain a one-dimensional, slugging team. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, they should have let Nomar walk and signed Renteria. Even though Nomar is the better hitter, Renteria fits what they need better. He's not a leadoff hitter, but he would have been a good #2 hitter. For that matter, Tony Womack would have been a better gamble than Todd Walker. At least Womack is a true leadoff hitter. Hell, they would be better off allowing Placido Polanco to masquerade as a leadoff man. Aside from the Cubs, I'd say the Mets and maybe even the Angels.

The Mets spent $200 million on Pedro, Beltran, and Benson. Are they that much better now? They needed Beltran just to have a decent offense. They were awful last year. You have to wonder how many games Piazza will play, and just what type of numbers he can put up. Neither Matsui not Reyes has proved much. Wright was great last year and should be fine unless the sophomore slump hits. I don't know, but considering their payroll I would expect a few more guarantees and a few less questions.

I have questions about the Angels as well. They overpaid an aging Steve Finley and a mediocre Orlando Cabrera. Who knows which Colon will show up this year. Kelvim Escobar is their most reliable pitcher? That's a little scary. They'll contend this year, and they should win the division just because the A's have regressed, and the Mariners and Rangers still lack the pitching to win. But I just don't know that they can do any better than last year. Then again, with Moreno as their owner, they can still make a big splash at the trade deadline.

RKMeibalane
01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Then again, with Moreno as their owner, they can still make a big splash at the deadline.

I'm expecting them to make such a move. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a team like the Mets decides to unload some of their high-priced players if they struggle early. The same is true of the Phillies and the Cubs, who are likely to be stuck with the Egomaniac at least until the AS Break.

CWSGuy406
01-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Who do you guys think is the most overrated team in baseball right now??????
I would have to say................ the Red Sox, the thing is their pitching is very overrated.

Their pitching is overrated?

David Wells, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo, and Wade Miller. Six starters, Arroyo being very underrated, and Miller quite possibly being one of the best value signings of the offseason (if healthy, he's number two starter good). Wakefield has his days, and Clement is alright, but with the depth they have, as well as their lineup -- you really can't argue against the BoSox, at least for making the Wildcard...

Dadawg_77
01-16-2005, 06:59 PM
On this site the most overrate is the Sox mostly, due to home town bias. In the outside world it is the Yankees. They still have the best lineup in baseball even with holes at CF and 1B. But the $100 Million pitching staff is suspect. Pavano and Wright have better timing then E Lo but how much else?

Whitesox029
01-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Another overrated team is the Nationals the former Expos. People consider them as contenders, but they have no pitching. Their only good pitcher is Livian Hernandez.
I'm a person, and I never considered Washington a contender...actually I haven't heard anyone say they thought the Nationals would be good...

JB98
01-16-2005, 09:43 PM
It's the Cubs. No question.

What exactly have they done to improve this year? The Trib article about the Cubs prospects looking bright because of the "huge losses" sufffered by it's division opponents was laughable. No doubt the Astros lost a major piece when the lost Beltran and Hidalgo - and Clemens return in up for grabs. But the Cardinals don't look that bad despite losing Womack, Renteria, and Matheny. They have a leadoff man in Eckstein; and even without Renteria, a lineup with Walker, Pujols, Edmonds, Cabrera and Rolen is still formidable. Plus they improved thier pitching (considered a soft spot) by adding Mulder.

Didn't Cabrera sign with Anaheim? Regardless, I agree the Cardinals should be the favorite in the NL Central. That lineup is still awesome. The key is the health of their rotation. Mulder, Morris and Carpenter were all iffy in that regard down the stretch last year. However, if the Cardinals can keep that group together, they'll walk away with the division.

I have to reluctantly agree with the Cubune's analysis on Houston. They lost Beltran, Kent and possibly Clemens. And Berkman is out until at least June with ACL surgery. I'd say they're in trouble.

Hopefully, adding Milton and Ramon Ortiz will help the Reds. We know Cincinnati can hit enough to be a threat, but you wonder about that pitching staff.

I don't think the Cubs will be as hyped in the national press this season. But make no mistake about it, they will be highly overrated by the local media again this year. They'll probably be good enough to finish with a winning record again this season, but I don't see any playoff or World Series glory in their future.

beckett21
01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Didn't Cabrera sign with Anaheim?

Yes he did. Eckstein signed with St. Louis.

I think the Dodgers will end up being the most overrated team FWIW. The Mets and Cubs will be overhyped as per usual.

OEO Magglio
01-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Cleveland.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I know this is will be unpopular on this forum but I think that the White Sox are the most overrated team.

I mean look at their offseason; they lost Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin, Scott Schoenweis, AND Billy Koch.

They have no 5th starter. They have no closer. They have no catcher.

KW really stuck it to the fans this offseason. I can't believe you guys didn't go off on him this weekend. Where have all the sluggers gone Kenny, where have all the sluggers gone?

Clarkdog
01-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Didn't Cabrera sign with Anaheim?

Yes. My bad, not exactly sure how his name got in there. I had just mentioned Eckstein.

AZChiSoxFan
01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
It's easily the Diamondbacks. They signed Russ Ortiz, who wasn't even in the Braves top 3 starters in the playoffs last year, Troy Glaus, who was hurt for most of 2004, and they traded Randy Johnson and got Javier Vazquez, who is coming of the worst year of his career.

Newsflash: By definition, you can't be overrated when nobody thinks you are any good. Every article I've seen, written on a national level, says how bad the D-backs signings were. If everyone thinks they are so bad, how can they be overrated?

DSpivack
01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm a person, and I never considered Washington a contender...actually I haven't heard anyone say they thought the Nationals would be good...

Yes, but I'm currently wearing a Nats t-shirt, so there.

HoustonAstros967
01-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I would agree that the Red Sox pitching rotation is very overrated but as a whole the team is still amazing. The Sox have good pitchers but by no means great pitchers. If Schilling can remain healthy he will anchor that staff and make the REd Sox real contenders again for the world series. Without him performing like he did last season the Sox are stuck with five other pitchers who can't compete with the Yankees.

SoxFanTillDeath
01-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd have to say the Mets, hands down. They are second to none in spending serious cash to pick up big name free agents and then tanking and trying to unload those same players the very next year.

On a side note, I think the Rangers are also very overrated. This team might as well let the opposing team set the ball up on a tee when they hit to save the stress on their backs. Their pitching is terrible.

DumpJerry
01-17-2005, 08:35 PM
It's easy to say the Flubs, but nobody, even their fans, have told me they are expecting anything from them this year.

I'm going with BoSox, lightening never strikes twice. They got lucky last year, came within three outs of being wiped out from the ALCS. Really.

JKryl
01-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Without a doubt, the Cubs.

rdivaldi
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
In 2005 without a doubt the Indians. I keep reading all of these glowing reports about great, YOUNG players on their team and I still have yet to find any except for Sabathia, Hafner, and Martinez. Nothing but a bunch of overrated 26- 27 year olds and scrubs on that team. I can hardly wait to laugh at all of the ignorant "experts" that are predicting a Tribe AL Central crown when they finish 4th this year.

SoxSpeed22
01-22-2005, 08:59 PM
The most overrated teams are the Indians, Diamondbacks and Mets.
Cleveland has good players with Sabathia, Lee, Westbrook, Martinez, Crisp & Gerut but it falls off. Ron Belliard had a lucky year and they have a double-A quality bullpen that didn't improve.
The Diamondbacks are a ****load in debt, Vasquez and Webb are overrated, they give two has-beens, Glaus and Ortiz, superstar contracts. And the rest of their lineup stinks.
The Mets, overrated pitching staff, not much of a bullpen, new manager, giant contracts, finish under 500 and Beltran's trade rumors plague "Sportcenter" during winter 2005-06.
As for the Cubs, they still need a closer. Their lineup still has a ton of strikeouts. And the whineyness! (blech).

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2005, 11:11 AM
don't forget they still don't have a LF

When's the big "Gagglio" signing?? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

HoustonAstros967
01-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Cubs. The Trib picked them to win 100 games in 2004. I mean, come on. It's the Cubs we're talking about here people. Maddux is old, Rusch is iffy, the bullpen is non-existent, the offense is shaky as always with Alou gone and Sosa the clubhouse tumor.
Predictions:
Maddux will fail, Rusch will falter, the committee of closers will blow more games than they save in the month of April, Sosa will explode at Baker and take a bat to the non-salsa-music-playing boombox, and the beloved Flubs will finish 80-82, 4th place behind St. Louis, Houston, and a resurgent Cincinnatti club.

EDIT: Ok that last part might be wishful thinking, but 3rd place certainly isn't out of the question.

The Cubs offseason has been very below average. They didn't replace their best hitter alou and they still have sammy sosa on the team. There is no way they are gonna win their division or wild card with a team like theirs. Also Latroy Hawkins is their closer!!!! Hes gonna blow every lead they get!

Kuzman
01-23-2005, 07:58 PM
i dont see how all you can say the red sox. they just won the world series for crying out loud and in impressive fashion. sweeping the first round, coming back from 3 games DOWN and finishing off the wankees, and then sweeping the cards in the world series.. thats about as dominant as they come not over rated.

but the cubs are the most overrated team hands down.

Hangar18
01-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Im not just saying this because I hate them ..............but I vote for
The Media Darling Cubs.
Theyve been touted, flouted, glorified and deified by the Chicago Media and National Media for 2 yrs now ........... all supposedly because
of the Magic of "Dusty", some foliage on the walls, a sheep-like following,
and a years of Mega Corporate Propoganda. Im glad the Reds and Mets Defied MLB's hollow attempt at giving the Cubs an easy path to the playoffs last september ....
the wrath of the baseball gods can be mighty .........

HoustonAstros967
01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't know how much people talk about the A's but i think that they are gonna be horrible in 2005. They lost two GREAT pitchers. If Zito dosen't put up a cy-young caliber year like he has in the past they are gonna be toast.

Takatsufan
01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
1.Cubs
2.Indians
3.Red Sox
4.Angels
5.Dodgers

SOXPHILE
01-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Devil Rays & Pirates.:rolleyes:

Sox Laundry Guy
01-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Dead right on Philly. This was a waste of a ton of talent. Fans are not supportive, the manager was looking over his shoulder all season, and they do not play cohesively at all. Thome is rumbling about playing for a winner, and I can't blame him. Then again, if this steroid lab keeps from getting hurt. He might be a lot smaller come opening day.This team, conceivably, could be in 4th next season.

marlins03
01-27-2005, 03:39 PM
i say the Braves are overrated they make the playoffs every year and instead of doing the chop them and the fans DO THE CHOKE

Vestigio
01-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I just heard some "baseball analyst" on ESPNews said that the Injuns will take the AL Central. How suprising!!!!:o: