PDA

View Full Version : Where was the WSI booth?

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
somebody metioned it was gunna be there today...i looked all over and i couldnt find anything! I looked upstairs, downstairs, but i didnt see it. I heard somebody talking about it yesterday and i guess i heard wrong. You know whats a wierd thought...i probably saw most of you guys today but didnt know. Crrazy. Did anybody see me? I was wearing a Gray jacket with the sleeves rolled up. I thought mabye if i got a WSI name tag it would be easier for the WSIers to ID me. Oh well.....:redface:

NSSoxFan2
01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
There wasn't a WSI booth this year. Also, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I was disappointed with the amount of vendors at SoxFest this year. For those of you who went on Saturday, was Triple Threat Sports there?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 07:41 PM
There wasn't a WSI booth this year. Also, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I was disappointed with the amount of vendors at SoxFest this year. For those of you who went on Saturday, was Triple Threat Sports there?

Suprisingly, no Triple Threat or Grandstand booths.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-15-2005, 07:44 PM
No WSI booth? DAMN IT!!!!

SaltyPretzel
01-15-2005, 09:22 PM

I was really disappointed also. It seems like there were about half the vendors there this year compared to years past.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I was really disappointed also. It seems like there were about half the vendors there this year compared to years past.

Lots of good deals though- especially the card stands.

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 09:47 PM
In reality though, how many booths selling baseball holders, bat holders, baseballs and that stuff can you have? I'm glad to see there were only 5 or 6 this year compared to 10-12 last year.

JKryl
01-16-2005, 12:07 AM
I went Friday night. It looked like a lot more of the floor was dedicated to the autograph lines. Whether this was because they didn't have enough vendors, or because they wanted to accomodate the fans, ... who knows. JR was there and answered fan questions. Brooks was there wandering around, being Brooks. Where they found this guy, I'll never know, but talk about a fan's friend, he's the one. In any case, the vendors that were there had some pretty cool stuff. The garage sale had Wilson gloves manufactured for the sponsors of the All Star game for $50, new lined jackets for $50, and a number of polo shirts for $5 and $10. The floor had one booth with Negro league stuff that knocked your eye out (leather jackets). In any event, God love us all, the season is in sight!

pinwheels3530
01-16-2005, 02:30 AM

Nope, no triple threat sports booth, poor Hangar didn't get to have his jersey fixed!!

NSSoxFan2
01-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Nope, no triple threat sports booth, poor Hangar didn't get to have his jersey fixed!!

I was hoping to buy myself a new Rowand jersey, and to get one of my jersey's numbered. I was mad, very mad.

jake27
01-16-2005, 07:08 AM
yeah i could care less about thenumberof card shops... i wanted more of a selection when it came to hats, shirts, jerseys, etc. i was very dissapointed that there werent many vendors there as in years past.

C-Dawg
01-16-2005, 09:22 AM
... i wanted more of a selection when it came to hats, shirts, jerseys, etc.

There were some pretty good deals for Billy Koch, Rafael Santana, Scott Schoenweiss, etc, jerseys in the Garaga Sale.

Hangar18
01-16-2005, 01:24 PM

There is a Huge Sports Memorabilia and Marketing Convention going on
this weekend also. Its ALWAYS held second weekend of January,
and Im told its the mecca of sporting goods/apparel. Thats why BOTH
GrandStand and ThripleThreat Werent there this year. Hopefully
they have it a week later next year .......

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 01:58 PM
George can talk more about this since he had the booth a few years ago but I think the Sox charge a lot of money to have a booth at Sox Fest and I also think they have to give 'approval' to any organization that wants to share space at their event.

Somehow I don't think the Sox 'organization' is very happy that WSI is around considering its comments as well as the fact that it is a much better site then the 'official' team web site.

Lip

Unregistered
01-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Somehow I don't think the Sox 'organization' is very happy that WSI is around considering its comments as well as the fact that it is a much better site then the 'official' team web site. Hmmm... I highly doubt that, considering that Sox' own PR guy Brooks Boyer mentions WSI pretty much any time he gets the chance.

But why let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory? :cool:

anewman35
01-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Somehow I don't think the Sox 'organization' is very happy that WSI is around considering its comments as well as the fact that it is a much better site then the 'official' team web site.

Lip

I don't see why the White Sox would particularly care that it's better than the "official" site. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "official" site basically just run by Major League Baseball? How much input do the White Sox really have into it? And if it's as little as I think it is, why would they really have any strong feelings for it?

buehrle4cy05
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Lots of good deals though- especially the card stands.

The card stands were pretty expensive, most were selling for high Beckett Value, I bought a Carlton Fisk Jacket Card for $5 over the BV without knowing it...

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Lip

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Those message boards are no longer ran independently and are in control by the MLB, which is why every site looks the same. Brooks Boyer was on ESPN 1000 the other night talking about how great it is that our fans use internet message boards to talk about Sox baseball, and they have great discussions. He even mention Soxtalk, White Sox Interactive, and the official MLB boards by name.

Who should we believe? You, or Boyer? :rolleyes:

pinwheels3530
01-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmmm... I highly doubt that, considering that Sox' own PR guy Brooks Boyer mentions WSI pretty much any time he gets the chance.

But why let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory? :cool:

Yeah it seems like Brook's got a lot of his ideas from here like ( 59 jersey's, bringing Nancy to Sox fest etc....) all were mentioned and discussed here.

zach074
01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah it seems like Brook's got a lot of his ideas from here like ( 59 jersey's, bringing Nancy to Sox fest etc....) all were mentioned and discussed here.

What if Brooks is really one of us.:o: Hows that for a conspiracy theory?

SouthBendSox
01-16-2005, 03:23 PM
as John Anderson once said "I wish I coulda been there"

Mickster
01-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Lip

You couldn't be more wrong.

Joosh
01-16-2005, 03:35 PM

*Twilight Zone theme Plays*

:unsure:

Brian26
01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
You couldn't be more wrong.

Yep. Mickster gets it. You ever hear the expression "there is no such thing as bad press?"

In all honesty, the White Sox should be sending George checks every month and thanking him. WSI is giving the Sox, essentially, free publicity.

Who cares if someone use the forum to complain about a pitching change or what color the seats are. There is no such thing as bad press.

lths06
01-16-2005, 05:40 PM

So that's why Hangar's autograph is getting so much $ on EBAY :tongue:

TornLabrum
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
George can talk more about this since he had the booth a few years ago but I think the Sox charge a lot of money to have a booth at Sox Fest and I also think they have to give 'approval' to any organization that wants to share space at their event.

Lip

Two comments related to this post:

1) Our booth consisted of one table and one cubicle. Our rental cost was $650.00. Since we're a 501(c)(3) corporation we're very careful about how we spend that kind of money since we want as much as possible to go to CBCC. That's why we do the pencil pull. It not only pays for the booth, but makes a tidy amount that we can donate to our charity. WSI would have to sell a bunch of T-shirts, etc. to pay for a booth.

2) When I was in the "private" autograph session yesterday afternoon, one of the Sox personnel with Carl Everett said, "You're with WSI, aren't you?" When I replied in the affirmative, he said, "Great site!" So if ownership is ag'in us (which I really have no idea of one way or the other?), at least some of the employees love us.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:19 PM
So if ownership is ag'in us (which I really have no idea of one way or the other?), at least some of the employees love us.

I guess none of us know how JR feels, but Brooks gave WSI a shout-out on AM 1000 Thursday night. No doubt about it- he loves us.

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Those message boards are no longer ran independently and are in control by the MLB, which is why every site looks the same. Brooks Boyer was on ESPN 1000 the other night talking about how great it is that our fans use internet message boards to talk about Sox baseball, and they have great discussions. He even mention Soxtalk, White Sox Interactive, and the official MLB boards by name.

Who should we believe? You, or Boyer? :rolleyes:

Yeah. Heck, the Red Sox owner posts on a privately run site like WSI and not on the Red Sox MLB message board.

I think he does post here...probably not a "regular", but I'd be willing to put money down that he has posted and will continue to do so. This board is a great place for him and his team to "bounce ideas" without any of us knowing.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah. Heck, the Red Sox owner posts on a privately run site like WSI and not on the Red Sox MLB message board.

Sons of Sam Horn.

They require an application now w/ an essay to be granted posting privileges.

zach074
01-16-2005, 08:45 PM

I think he does post here...probably not a "regular", but I'd be willing to put money down that he has posted and will continue to do so. This board is a great place for him and his team to "bounce ideas" without any of us knowing.

So were like test mice? I like it!:bandance:

pearso66
01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Sons of Sam Horn.

They require an application now w/ an essay to be granted posting privileges.

Maybe we need an essay to be granted posting privileges here, that way we can weed out the people who don't like proper grammar

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Does anyone else think Seththesock1 is really Brooks?
Maybe Brooks wants us to wear some green and grey 1917 style jerseys

Daver
01-16-2005, 08:57 PM
2) When I was in the "private" autograph session yesterday afternoon, one of the Sox personnel with Carl Everett said, "You're with WSI, aren't you?" When I replied in the affirmative, he said, "Great site!" So if ownership is ag'in us (which I really have no idea of one way or the other?), at least some of the employees love us.

We have never recieved a cease and decist order from MLB, as has happened to fan sites in the past, but we have also taken steps to keep this from happening. I would doubt anyone in White Sox management would want this site shut down, as I know for a fact more than a few of them are regular lurkers. If they were interested in shutting this site down, Dave Wills would not be allowed to plug it on a regular basis.

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 09:12 PM

Sure. Why not? It's perfect. We are all hard core fans, yet I think we are a pretty diverse group of people. If Brooks or a member of his team posts something, but words it so that we have no idea it is them or that they are really making a pitch they get HONEST replies from us and maybe even suggestions for tweaking. The mlb site is too full of trolls and other crap to do something like that.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
A few points:

Unregistered...before making any more statements perhaps you should speak with PHG and find out what happened when he contacted Rob Gallas and Scott Reifert about getting credentials as well as help for myself with contacting former players for the monthly interviews.

I also suggest you speak with Dan Helpingstein who is a member of WSI concerning what happened after he had an interview lined up with Carlos May.

There's a big difference between folks like Dave Willis (who is not paid by the Sox by the way but by ESPN Radio 1000) and the organization itself.

Daver is correct that the Sox have never tried to shut the site down but he is also correct that the mods and PHG have taken great pains to avoid giving them any reason to do so. As some will remember it was a concern a few years ago when MLB was going about doing those very same things. In fact PHG addressed the possibility in his interview with me for the web site.

MLB does run all the web sites. However the Sox have Scott Merkin who writes their unique stories and does the rare interviews. Each site has their own individuality. I think there are some in the organization who would be very happy if WSI disappeared so that more fans would be loyal to the 'official' web site. Case in point who's site does the more in depth and in my opinion better interviews?

Lip

Unregistered
01-17-2005, 02:46 AM
A few points:

Unregistered...before making any more statements perhaps you should speak with PHG and find out what happened when he contacted Rob Gallas and Scott Reifert about getting credentials as well as help for myself with contacting former players for the monthly interviews.

There's a big difference between folks like Dave Willis (who is not paid by the Sox by the way but by ESPN Radio 1000) and the organization itself.

Lip Fair enough, but I didn't even mention Dave Wills. I posted that Brooks Boyer has mentioned WSI several times, seemingly every chance he gets. Surely he is paid by the Sox.

Also, I think there is a big difference between the Sox acknowledging and supporting a fan site - and them giving things like Press Credentials and the like to one. I mean, if WSI were to get press credentials, then Soxtalk and other sites (who, IMO aren't half of what WSI is) all get them too, correct? And if they didn't get them, then they're the ugly stepchildren, fans are alienated, etc, etc.

I work for Yankees Magazine and even WE don't have press credentials. Writers meet with players when they absolutely have to (i.e. writing a feature on said player), but other than that, it is very limited. I don't know if every team operates like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the industry standard. (You probably know that better than me)

As people have already posted in this thread, Brooks and the Sox HAVE TO know that any publicity is good publicity, and that whether they agree or disagree with opinions on this board, WSI is a vital community that is only helping the fanbase become larger and certainly more knowlegable.

StillMissOzzie
01-17-2005, 03:12 AM

We're laboratory mice
Our genes have been spliced
We're dinky, we're Pinky and the Brain!

SMO
:D:

doublem23
01-17-2005, 03:12 AM

Are you talking about the same radio station that just fired their morning guy because of the rift he was causing between them and Jerry Reinsdorf and two of their big guns (and that's the station's own admission, not some crappy whining by the buffoon); the Bulls and Sox?

I'm quite certain that Reinsdorf and the rest of the Sox front office can get Dave Wills stop his praise of WSI or have ESPN find a new guy, especially considering the Sox/Bulls and ESPN-1000 are in contract discussions, IIRC.

Or maybe it's just that crackpot conspiracy theories really only work well when they support your own argument?

Worst. Logic. Ever.

:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
01-17-2005, 08:12 AM
A few points:

I also suggest you speak with Dan Helpingstein who is a member of WSI concerning what happened after he had an interview lined up with Carlos May.

Daver is correct that the Sox have never tried to shut the site down but he is also correct that the mods and PHG have taken great pains to avoid giving them any reason to do so. As some will remember it was a concern a few years ago when MLB was going about doing those very same things. In fact PHG addressed the possibility in his interview with me for the web site.

MLB does run all the web sites. However the Sox have Scott Merkin who writes their unique stories and does the rare interviews. Each site has their own individuality. I think there are some in the organization who would be very happy if WSI disappeared so that more fans would be loyal to the 'official' web site. Case in point who's site does the more in depth and in my opinion better interviews?

Lip

Lip,

Most of what you say is as I remember it, too. However, one thing you didn't mention is the excuse MLB gave for attempting to shut down those other web sites. So here is a point of clarification. They were using team logos without permission. If I'm not mistaken, at least some of those groups were were selling merchandise with team logos on them. That's trademark infringement and that is what gave MLB the excuse to go after those teams.

Just ask Bayer what happens if you don't protect a trademark (in this case "Aspirin.") I don't know about today, but 30 years ago when we were honeymooning in Canada, TV commercials showed the bottle with the name "Aspirin," not "Bayer Aspirin" as in the USA.

This is also why in commercials for grocery stores, etc. that are perhaps selling products using the Superbowl, etc. as an excuse, you hear them say, "the big game." The NFL won't let them use their registered trademark.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
This is also why in commercials for grocery stores, etc. that are perhaps selling products using the Superbowl, etc. as an excuse, you hear them say, "the big game." The NFL won't let them use their registered trademark.

Hey, I like that.

TheBigGame.com
Totally Biased. Utterly Petty. Completely Unobjective.

ehh... it'll never work.

:redneck

BeerHandle
01-17-2005, 09:35 AM
There is a Huge Sports Memorabilia and Marketing Convention going on
this weekend also. Its ALWAYS held second weekend of January,
and Im told its the mecca of sporting goods/apparel. Thats why BOTH
GrandStand and ThripleThreat Werent there this year. Hopefully
they have it a week later next year .......

Wills said they had it earlier this year so it was before the cub convention.

Clement's beard
01-17-2005, 09:55 AM

So that they could accomidate the cubs?

TornLabrum
01-17-2005, 10:08 AM

The official explanation for the weekend date was that the Hyatt came under new management, and they screwed up all the exhibition/convention dates. The official explanation also states that the Sox want to go back to having it "The Big Game" (see another thread) weekend.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Unregistered:

The Dave Willis reference wasn't specifically directed to you but was mentioned in this thread by someone else. I just wanted to clarify the point.

Hal...as usual you are correct. Perhaps it's just on how you view the situation. Strickly from a business perspective I just feel the Sox themselves would be happier if they had the only web site in town.

The fact that WSI has gotten the media play that it has, has got to bug some of them. On the flip side that's a testiment to the work done by guys like you, PHG, Daver, West and others.

Lip

Chisoxfn
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I can't speak for WSI, but I will say this with my dealings with the White Sox through my two sites. They have been nothing but class and to me treat fan sites better then any other team in baseball.

This is based on my experiences with them mixed with second hand stories I've gotten from others who have had sites with different teams.

I'm sure they don't like some of the things said, but at the same time it gives them avenues to come on by and check out for marketing purposes (I think thats probably the best reason).

As far as the press thing MLB keeps a very tight ship on who can get press passes and who can't.

ewokpelts
01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
The official explanation for the weekend date was that the Hyatt came under new management, and they screwed up all the exhibition/convention dates. The official explanation also states that the Sox want to go back to having it "The Big Game" (see another thread) weekend.
dont forget that mlb was going to have spring training start early due to the world cup...but it got bumped to next year. If you notice, the soxfest 06 dates are the same as this years(2nd weekend in jan)
Gene

Lip Man 1
01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Chisonfn:

It's interesting that you mention this. I just got an e-mail from an individual who has connections with both WSI as well as the Sox themselves. By connections, I mean he is a poster here and has also had to work with the Sox for professional reasons.

I have been asking his help in an attempt to get Roland Hemond, one of the finest Sox G.M.'s ever, to consent to an interview. I thought you'd be interested in seeing a part of his e-mail:

"I really don't think this is going the be a problem. The White Sox don't like WSI, but somehow I don't think that is going to matter to him. From what I hear, Hemond has next to no influence on the team, and he doesn't even have an office now. He is loyal, yet I don't think they can do much to him if he goes his own way on stuff."

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

Mickster
01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Chisonfn:

It's interesting that you mention this. I just got an e-mail from an individual who has connections with both WSI as well as the Sox themselves. By connections, I mean he is a poster here and has also had to work with the Sox for professional reasons.

I have been asking his help in an attempt to get Roland Hemond, one of the finest Sox G.M.'s ever, to consent to an interview. I thought you'd be interested in seeing a part of his e-mail:

"I really don't think this is going the be a problem. The White Sox don't like WSI, but somehow I don't think that is going to matter to him. From what I hear, Hemond has next to no influence on the team, and he doesn't even have an office now. He is loyal, yet I don't think they can do much to him if he goes his own way on stuff."

Lip

Well that solves the dilemma. :cool:

munchman33
01-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Well that solves the dilemma. :cool:

C'mon, that's a lot more evidence than anyone else has brought to the table. And we have no reason to believe Lip would lie to us.

After browsing here for the last couple of years, I can understand why the organization would have reservations about endorsing the site. There's a lot of hatred and general disdain being spewn about. I'm sure they'd much rather have us go to the MLB official site, where they're always serving Kool-aid.

doublem23
01-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Nothin' like a game of "He said, She said."

FarWestChicago
01-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Chisonfn:

LipJesus H, Lip. You run around claiming Reinsy is the cause of Original Sin, the Fall of the Roman Empire and every other possible thing you can apply some warped, paranoid logic twist to connect him to. You endlessly praise scumbags like the Moron and Borass (we all know, the enemy of my enemy is my friend). Then you run around screaming the Sox don't like WSI. First of all, who the hell cares? As long as they leave us alone, big deal. Second of all, if the Sox don't like WSI it's hugely your fault. You're like the kid who let's an SBD loose in class and then screams, "Somebody farted!!". My gawd. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Brian26
01-17-2005, 10:03 PM

Lip

I hate be an ass about this, but Hemond right now falls into the Moose Skowron category for me: guys who are a little bit washed up and who will talk to anyone who's willing to listen and tell them how great they were.

God love both of them. They're great guys.

I've seen Hemond at Soxfest now for three years in a row trying to get recognized by people...just standing around in the hallway waiting for someone to come up to him and say hi.

Lip- I highly doubt Hemond would say no to an interview. In fact, if you've got an aero-bed and some extra tv dinners in the freezer, Hemond would probably fly out to Idaho and spend the week at your house. In return, all you'll have to do is listen to 15 different versions of his story about discovering Jorge Orta in the jungles of Argentina back in '68.

redandwhite
01-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Moose came to my middle school a few years back, and boy did you just hit it right on the nose with that comment. The guy talked to the entire school in the auditorium as if he was some American legend.

It was quite funny.

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Moose came to my middle school a few years back, and boy did you just hit it right on the nose with that comment. The guy talked to the entire school in the auditorium as if he was some American legend.

It was quite funny.

Well, when you have 8 World Series rings I think you are some sort of legend. I love hearing the old stories Moose and Roland have, they never get old.

redandwhite
01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, when you have 8 World Series rings I think you are some sort of legend. I love hearing the old stories Moose and Roland have, they never get old.

Very true.

Brian26
01-17-2005, 10:24 PM

Unfortunately, none of those 8 rings occurred in his 2.5 year White Sox career.

beckett21
01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Jesus H, Lip. You run around claiming Reinsy is the cause of Original Sin, the Fall of the Roman Empire and every other possible thing you can apply some warped, paranoid logic twist to connect him to. You endlessly praise scumbags like the Moron and Borass (we all know, the enemy of my enemy is my friend). Then you run around screaming the Sox don't like WSI. First of all, who the hell cares? As long as they leave us alone, big deal. Second of all, if the Sox don't like WSI it's hugely your fault. You're like the kid who let's an SBD loose in class and then screams, "Somebody farted!!". My gawd. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Bulls-eye. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Chisonfn:

LipI really can't see any reason why Reinsdorf would give WSI a second thought. Do we threaten him in any way? There are lots of other message boards besides the MLB ones (Yahoo, etc.) and they don't serve Kool-Aide there, either. It's not as if no other medium is ever critical of the Sox. Compared to a major newspaper or radio station, the number of people who read this site is tiny.

Lip Man 1
01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Folks:

Next time I'll keep my comments to myself.

Brian:

I can't believe you made that comment about Hemond. That was underserved in my opinion.

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Another note on Hemond, people either need to remember (if you were ali ve abck them) or take a Sox history lesson. Hemond saved the Sox in more ways than one in the early 70's. We might not have a team to go see, have this great board or have Soxfest if it wasn't for him.

Dan H
01-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Another note on Hemond, people either need to remember (if you were ali ve abck them) or take a Sox history lesson. Hemond saved the Sox in more ways than one in the early 70's. We might not have a team to go see, have this great board or have Soxfest if it wasn't for him.

I agree with this completely. Hemond did a hell of a job during the early '70's and had next to nothing to work with with Bill Veeck. He was the first GM to bring a division title to Chicago. If the Sox don't take advantage of his baseball knowledge, then the organization is short changing itself. Hemond is also a true gentleman.

I don't know exactly how the White Sox feel about WSI or any other fan site, but I am sure they are leery of anything they can't control.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Look at it this way. Roland Hemond had to put up with and work through more serious issues then any G.M. in the history of the organization.

Here's what I mean.

Hemond, when he took over, had to rebuild a team that was the worst club in MLB by far, in an area of Chicago that 'supposedly' was bad, in a stadium that was falling apart for an owner that didn't have or want to spend a lot of money. In one year the Sox went from 56 to 79 wins. Plus after 1975 he had to contend with the fact of 'free agency' and another owner who didn't have the ability to spend a lot of money.

Frank Lane never had to worry about free agency, or the perception that Comiskey Park was located in a bad neighborhood or that the stadium was becomming old. Ed Short didn't have to worry about those issues either, at least until 1966. (i.e. the neighborhood and stadium)

Ron Schueler and Kenny Williams certainly didn't have to worry about the stadium factor did they?

No indidivdual did more with less from the G.M. position then Roland Hemond. Plus he was a good guy, liked by the fans and media which certainly didn't hurt at a time the Sox were looking for any positives they could get.

Maybe I'm myopic but I don't understand the comments from some directed towards him.

Then after leaving the Sox, seemingly overnight he turns the laughingstock Baltimore Orioles, losers of their first 18 games to start the season, into a contender in the Eastern Division going down to the final days before being eliminated. I think the O's lost 18 straight in 1988 and contended in 1989.

Lip

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't know exactly how the White Sox feel about WSI or any other fan site, but I am sure they are leery of anything they can't control.

I believe in Separation of Church & State, and I believe in Separation of
Fan Site & Team. One tends to influence the other if both run together.
And YES, Roland HEmond is a very nice man. I always make it a point to
Stop him when I see him wandering SoxFest and Say Hello and Thank him
for the work hes done for the team. He always is happy to hear that
and to know some Fans still care about him. He and I also agree on
Whats his hardest moment as a SOX Fan. The Britt Burns game against
the Orioles .........

SOXFAN82
01-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I cant wait to get some info on the Minnie statue. To bad the only one they had for Charley Comiskey was in a auction.

Brian

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I cant wait to get some info on the Minnie statue. To bad the only one they had for Charley Comiskey was in a auction.

Brian
How much did that end up going for?

Brian26
01-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I think the O's lost 18 straight in 1988 and contended in 1989.

Lip

And because the Sox loved Roland Hemond so much, they were there to make sure the streak didn't reach 19 games. What a great group of guys that '88 team was.