PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Rumor Mill Thread; Ordonez, Sweeney, Cora

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Here are some random tidbits I found on SI.com. Interesting things to look at;
1) Sweeney possibly looking to get traded and makes me think of possible teams that may need a 1B. Anyone else thinking Yankees? It's early, but this might turn into something, so we shall keep an eye on this.

2) Cora with Indians not official yet. Heck, has Kevin Millwood signed with them yet?

3) If Magglio does sign with Baltimore, here are the dates when you can show him how you really feel; May 12-15.

First baseman Mike Sweeney, frustrated with the Royals' shallow plunge into the off-season free-agent market, said Thursday he felt "misled" by the team's plan to build a contender around him and would not rule out trade possibilities.
-- Kansas City Star
The Indians are in serious negotiations with infielder Alex Cora to fill a utility position on the roster.
-- Akron Beacon-Journal

The Orioles began gathering medical information on free agent outfielder Magglio Ordoņez, who missed most of last season with a knee injury and as a result may command less in salary.
-- Washington Post

The Critic
01-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Here are some random tidbits I found on SI.com. Interesting things to look at;
1) Sweeney possibly looking to get traded and makes me think of possible teams that may need a 1B. Anyone else thinking Yankees? It's early, but this might turn into something, so we shall keep an eye on this.

2) Cora with Indians not official yet. Heck, has Kevin Millwood signed with them yet?

3) If Magglio does sign with Baltimore, here are the dates when you can show him how you really feel; May 12-15.

Interesting stuff.
So the ship in K.C.'s finally taken on enough water for Sweeney to grab a raft, huh? :redneck

As for Maggs, I have no anger - I appreciate his time here and I'm sorry it didn't work out, but the Sox couldn't have made their moves if they'd paid what he and his agent were asking. I wish him nothing but the best, especially if he winds up in the National League.

BTW, in your sig, AJ looks a bit like Expos-era Larry Walker to me.

batmanZoSo
01-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Interesting stuff.
So the ship in K.C.'s finally taken on enough water for Sweeney to grab a raft, huh? :redneck

As for Maggs, I have no anger - I appreciate his time here and I'm sorry it didn't work out, but the Sox couldn't have made their moves if they'd paid what he and his agent were asking. I wish him nothing but the best, especially if he winds up in the National League.

BTW, in your sig, AJ looks a bit like Expos-era Larry Walker to me.

Sweeney should've gotten out of that dump years ago. He's a helluva good player.

Soxzilla
01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Yankmees just signed Tino, so I doubt they'd be willing to sign on a guy like Sweeney.

But hey! Whatever gets him out of the division!:redneck

Brian26
01-15-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I heard what Kenny said at the seminar today. Yeah, Mags had a nice career here, and I'll always remember the good times. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

As for your last sentence, if he winds up in the National League on the Cubs, he can go **** himself. :angry:

The Critic
01-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I heard what Kenny said at the seminar today. Yeah, Mags had a nice career here, and I'll always remember the good times. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

As for your last sentence, if he winds up in the National League on the Cubs, he can go **** himself. :angry:

As long as he has 6 bad games, and I think you can guess which 6 those are, I hope he does well for the other 156. I liked him a lot on the Sox, so I can't wish ill will on him. Not blaming anyone who does, only speaking for myself. The Cubs will find a way not to win anyway, so I don't want Maggs to be the reason....if he ends up there.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
As long as he has 6 bad games, and I think you can guess which 6 those are, I hope he does well for the other 156. I liked him a lot on the Sox, so I can't wish ill will on him. Not blaming anyone who does, only speaking for myself. The Cubs will find a way not to win anyway, so I don't want Maggs to be the reason....if he ends up there.

We can agree to disagree on this one. If I have to see his name and picture in the paper every morning because of any success he achieves at the dump on Clark and Addison, I'll have to puke.

It didn't hurt as bad when Ventura left because he at least went to a National League team in New York. Mags can end up anywhere...except the northside. I rather play him 17 times a year on the Tigers than 6 times a year on the Cubs.

dickallen15
01-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Sweeney would want to move west if he moved.

Nick@Nite
01-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I watched allot of games in K.C. last season. I can attest that Sweeney has a spring loaded glove at 1B. Not to mention that I've seen wounded turtles move quicker in the field than him. Other than that, he's a pretty fine hitter when his back isn't so sore that it lands him the DL.

PINWHEELS
01-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Sweeney should've gotten out of that dump years ago. He's a helluva good player.Yes He Is, And He Also a Kills the White Sox!