PDA

View Full Version : Whos the best overall team in baseball?

HoustonAstros967
01-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I hate saying this but i'm gonna have to say the Yankees. I don't think that just because they have a virtual all star team guarantees them a world series title. I think that the Red Sox are gonna give them another nail bitter in the ALCS but I think the Yankees are a better team. I'm gonna have to say that i'm saying Cardinals Yankees 2005 world series with the cardinals winning.

munchman33
01-15-2005, 04:25 PM
The Red Sox. The Yankees have way too many question marks. If everything goes right for the Yankees, then yes. But that could be said for any team.

santo=dorf
01-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Yanks

Johnson
Mussina
Brown
Pavano
Wright

That's Nasty!

cbrownson13
01-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Yanks

Johnson
Mussina
Brown
Pavano
Wright

That's Nasty!

Eh. Maybe not.

Johnson and Mussina will probably put up similiar numbers to what they have had in their career. But I consider everyone else a question mark.

Brown could have a great year, or he could be a head case and pitch not so good again.

Pavano is coming off a career year, but who knows if he can reproduce that. Last year was only his second year in his career that he made over 30 starts and the other time he did that his numbers weren't that great. Plus pitching in Yankee Stadium will be a little different than pitching in Pro Player Stadium.

And Wright will be a huge question mark. His shoulder is a problem and he needs to show that Leo Mazzone wasn't the reason for his success. He has never even come close to the year he had last year and he struggled in the playoffs.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Detroit

HoustonAstros967
01-15-2005, 05:45 PM
If Pavano and Wright can build off their great seasons last year than i think the Yanks are gonna go preety far. Johnson is gonna pitch great no matter what but my biggest concern is mussina and brown. They are both getting old and i don't think they are gonna put up the big numbers they need to. If ALL goes well i think the Yanks are gonna be better than the Red Sox.

FightingBillini
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Yanks

Johnson
Mussina
Brown
Pavano
Wright

That's Nasty!

Not really. Assuming that Johnson stays healthy and pitches the whole year (which is a big assumption considering his age, history of back problems and the fact that he has no cartilage left in his knees), he should have great year. Mussina is a shade of what he used to be. Brown is great when healthy, but he is almost never healthy. Who is going to be the third starter the half of the year he spends on the DL? Pavano is overrated, the NL equivalent of Jon Garland until 2004. Its a pretty big assumption that he will be consistent, let alone great. Wright is a pretty big injury risk, and he hasn't had a decent season away from Leo Mazzone since 1998. Mazzone taught him how to pitch effectively with the arm condition he has. How will he react when he gets shelled a couple starts in a row and Mazzone isn't there to settle him down?

RKMeibalane
01-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Boston. New York has too many holes.

Whitesox029
01-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Detroit
:tealpolice:
Sorry I've just been looking for an excuse to use this on someone...

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 08:07 PM
:tealpolice:
Sorry I've just been looking for an excuse to use this on someone...

NO PROBLEM. Just please change your sig. Anyone wanting Konerko gone is a nut; unless it's for Randy Johnson or someone amazing.

Jjav829
01-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Red Sox, until further notice. They upgraded from Cabrera to Renteria at short. They lost Pedro, which hurts the front of their rotation, but they are deeper with Clement, Wells, and Miller added in. As long as Schilling makes it back healthy in a reasonable amount of time, they'll be fine. Sadly, the Yankees would probably be 2nd.

Whitesox029
01-16-2005, 12:33 AM
NO PROBLEM. Just please change your sig. Anyone wanting Konerko gone is a nut; unless it's for Randy Johnson or someone amazing.
I agree, but I have to think of something first.

WinningUgly!
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Red Sox, until further notice. They upgraded from Cabrera to Renteria at short. They lost Pedro, which hurts the front of their rotation, but they are deeper with Clement, Wells, and Miller added in. As long as Schilling makes it back healthy in a reasonable amount of time, they'll be fine. Sadly, the Yankees would probably be 2nd.

I wanted to make a case for the Angels, but they're at least a starting pitcher short out there. They lost Guillen, Glaus & Eckstein from their lineup, but did a very solid job replacing them with Finley, Cabrera & Rivera.

Jjav summed it up pretty good. As long as Wade Miller is healthy by the AS break, I agree it's the BoSox.

hubbard347
01-16-2005, 12:33 PM
The New York Yankees.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2005, 12:48 PM
The Yankees...care to compare their starting pitching with the Red Sox's?

You get what you pay for folks.

Lip

California Sox
01-16-2005, 01:59 PM
On paper, the Yankmees. $200 mil buys a lot of quality. I'm intrigued, however, by the Cardinals. Obviously, the loss of Renteria is huge, but they're still going to score runs. Their pitching has a chance to be improved (depending on quite a few health variables) with Carpenter, Mulder, Morris, Marquis, and (NL Comeback Player of the Year) Rick Ankiel. They could win anywhere from 80 games (if Carpenter and Morris are hurt) to 100 games (if everyone stays healthy and Ankiel performs the way I suspect he will.) Should make for an interesting year in the NL Central.

doublem23
01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
The Yankees...care to compare their starting pitching with the Red Sox's?

You get what you pay for folks.

Lip

Randy Johnson, the 41-year-old who's already shown glimpses he can't handle life in the Bronx?

Mike Mussina, who threw the least amount of innings in his career since 1991 last year and also set a career low in BAA (.276)?

Kevin Brown, who's only started 30 or more games once in the last four years?

Jaret Wright? Who has a career ERA of 5.09 and has only posted an ERA sub-4.50 in the American League once; 1997 in Cleveland. Maybe that 3.28 last year had more to do with pitching in gigantic Turner Field with the Atlanta defense?

Carl Pavano? Who possess a career 4.21 ERA, entirely in the National League?

Bla. From 2001 on, the all the Yankees have ultimately proved is that you just can't collect a smorgasborg of top priced talent and expect to win, because you don't beat well-balanced teams in the play-offs. While I guess it's nice to have a team that wins 101 regular season games year in and year out, there are a handful of teams more capable of winning the World Series than New York.

JMO, but that rotation has as many question marks as the Sox's does.