PDA

View Full Version : New low: SF media trolls A.J. Pierzynski with whisper campaign

blesto-v
01-15-2005, 10:09 AM
One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL)

:dunno:

Fredsox
01-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Ahhh. The infamous un-named yet un-umpeachable source. If there were so many of them, why can't this guy get one of them of go On the record? What about the trainer himself? Is he one of the sources? At least 6 people saw this and not one of them went into the clubhouse to tell the beat reporters? I gotta belive that something like this would be ALL over the papers the moment it happened.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I don't know. I also don't know if the trainer peed in AJ's gatorade the day before, and I don't know if the sportswriter has an ax to grind. Does anyone really think that a trainer would ignore the opportunity to sue a millionaire baseball player if he kicked him in the nuts for no reason at all?

This is crappy journalism. I'm not under any illusions about AJ being the nicest guy in the world, but I need a lot more than what this reporter is saying before I'll believe it.

jabrch
01-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I think that's FUNNY.

How many times have some of us had anything like this happen - a shot to the groin, or even a charlie horse or a pulled something....and some idiot asks "how does it feel?" That's a stupid question - and it warrants often a stupid response. Now giving it back to Conte in the groin may have been over the top if it happened, but I think its very funny.

johnny_mostil
01-15-2005, 10:28 AM
One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL)

Baloney. What exhibition game? A half-dozen eyewitnesses? There are hundreds if not thousands of people watching spring training exhibition games. All of them but a half-dozen were too drunk to talk about it? The beat writers were too busy to check it out? No way. This is libel.

johnny_mostil
01-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Ahhh. The infamous un-named yet un-umpeachable source. If there were so many of them, why can't this guy get one of them of go On the record? What about the trainer himself? Is he one of the sources? At least 6 people saw this and not one of them went into the clubhouse to tell the beat reporters? I gotta belive that something like this would be ALL over the papers the moment it happened.

If anything this is confirmation that some weenie in the Giants front office is trying to build a cover story in case Matheny can't hit .220 and Pierzynski looks good in Chicago. So far this offseason Sabean has saved us from Omar Vizquel's over-the-hillness and gift-wrapped us a starting catcher. He's going to look awfully stupid.

So, let's recap the holes in this story:

Less than 1% of the attendees at a spring training game allegedly witnessed the alleged action. People don't ignore injured players, they focus on them. No date is given because that can be checked out.
No reporter can vouch for it because they were elsewhere. It wasn't reported at the time.
Presumably he was wearing shin guards. If you kneed someone wearing shin guards, they'd drop like a stone and roll around. But nobody except the Unimpeachable Source and the Seven Dwarves noticed.
Let's consider the other factors:

The Giants never accepted being whipped in an arbitration hearing before the 2004 season.
AJ's not exactly Mr. Congeniality.
The Giants signed a non-hitting catcher to supplement their non-hitting catcher they already had to face a PR firestorm when their catchers don't hit.
There's no way it happened as described. It's an inoculation of the SF fan base against the possibility AJP hits .320 for a division winner.

SSN721
01-15-2005, 10:38 AM
:whatever: I dont buy it, and even if it is true, although a little harsh I have to admit it is kinda funny.

Fredsox
01-15-2005, 10:45 AM
There's no way it happened as described. It's an inoculation of the SF fan base against the possibility AJP hits .320 for a division winner.

Agree completely. And the putz from the SF Chronicle should be fired for publishing this crap. You can't say that stuff about people unless you're gonna back up the story with real evidence, not "a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes".

idseer
01-15-2005, 11:09 AM
and this belongs you-know-where.

scottmt
01-15-2005, 11:10 AM
It may or may not have happened, though I tend to believe a reputable newspaper wouldn't print an entirely apocryphal story. What I want to know is why anyone is willing to give Pierzynski a free pass on being a miserable jerk now that he's a Sox? If he were with the Twins when this happened, there would have been no limit to the number of people enraged by it. What if it had been Herm Schneider on the receiving end? Would it have been funny then? Take off the rose-colored glasses. Pierzynski is Ty Cobb without the racism and ability.

idseer
01-15-2005, 11:12 AM
It may or may not have happened, though I tend to believe a reputable newspaper wouldn't print an entirely apocryphal story. What I want to know is why anyone is willing to give Pierzynski a free pass on being a miserable jerk now that he's a Sox? If he were with the Twins when this happened, there would have been no limit to the number of people enraged by it.

exactly .... which only goes to prove there are as many jerk white sox fans as anywhere else.

Fredsox
01-15-2005, 11:21 AM
It may or may not have happened, though I tend to believe a reputable newspaper wouldn't print an entirely apocryphal story. What I want to know is why anyone is willing to give Pierzynski a free pass on being a miserable jerk now that he's a Sox? If he were with the Twins when this happened, there would have been no limit to the number of people enraged by it. What if it had been Herm Schneider on the receiving end? Would it have been funny then? Take off the rose-colored glasses. Pierzynski is Ty Cobb without the racism and ability.

You're making the assumption that it happened and I don't think that's been established. You can choose to believe a "reputable newspaper" but please concede that many news organizations who fall into that category have recently come under a huge amount of criticism for either moving to quickly on stories that later proved to be untrue, or in some cases (NY Times) actually making things up.

Just because a SF Chronicle columnist prints it doesn't make it so. He cites no sources and there is no plausible explanation as to why no one else reported it in almost a year.

voodoochile
01-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I moved this not because I disbelieve it, though the holes blown in the reporter's story certainly have merit, but because of the volatile nature of the responses so far.

Have at it folks...

For my money, it's always been thusly. People hate players until they play for their team. Pierzynski may not be a saint, but he is far from the worst person to ever don a uniform for a team I root for.

Can we at least wait until he does something morbid or crazily dangerous here in Chicago before stringing the guy up by a rope. Sometimes people change. Sometimes that change is motivated by the promise of an upcoming payday or by finally getting a message that their behavior is unacceptable. Sometimes they just stay jerks. AJ is our jerk now, so root for the uniform - you don't have to love every player that wears it.

At least he's not that selfish overhyped stat geek lazy fatass, Frank Thomas...:rolleyes: (look down before getting freaked out and thanks WU!)

idseer
01-15-2005, 11:34 AM
At least he's not that selfish overhyped stat geek lazy fatass, Frank Thomas...:rolleyes: (look down before getting freaked out and thanks WU!)

no no. don't apologize. i think you nailed it! :wink:

surfdudes
01-15-2005, 11:36 AM

exactly .... which only goes to prove there are as many jerk white sox fans as anywhere else.

And this story is very dubious and shouldn't be a thread. And if it was a bit true then the aformentioned trainer either has the patience and compassion of Gandi or he's a frightened little kiss a** for taking a shot to the groin and not reporting/retaliating, etc.....
I find it hard accepting the fact that I am giving AJ a free pass when:
A-All these stories are from when he was with Frisco
B-Frisco has underachieved for years
C- Barry Bonds and his baggage are there and nobody would ever place blame on his Royal Balconess

WinningUgly!
01-15-2005, 11:38 AM

It sounds like A.J. wanted to keep Conte & the magic cream he used on Barry Bonds, away from him.:rolleyes:

TheBull19
01-15-2005, 11:54 AM
It may or may not have happened, though I tend to believe a reputable newspaper wouldn't print an entirely apocryphal story. What I want to know is why anyone is willing to give Pierzynski a free pass on being a miserable jerk now that he's a Sox?

What did his twins teammates think of him?

"AJ doesn't care what people think of him, and that's the way he wins." - Guardado

"There are 29 teams that would love to have him...what he does for our pitching staff is phenomenal." - Mientkiewicz

"In the old days that's how everyone used to be. AJ's a throwback, he doesn't care whether the other team likes him." - twins bench coach Steve Liddle

"He's just enjoying the game, and other teams think that's being brash. He'll have those ugly swings, get a funny-looking hit and look in the dugout and say, 'Oh, my God.' I think that rubs some people the wrong way, but I love to see him battling like that. If you want to say that's arrogance, I'll say you've got to have a little of that to play this game. I don't think players on the other teams should love you. His job is to beat people's brains out, and I think he does that pretty good." - Gardenhire

"I like A.J. We're on the same page, which is important. And I tell you what -- I got his back. Someone messes with A.J., they're messing with me." - Hawkins

"All I know is I like A.J. He's real. He's himself. And if that ticks you off, tough." - Hunter

"A.J.'s the type of guy who if you play against him, you hate him. If you play on his team, you love him. He plays the game right -- plays hard, plays to win. " - bullpen coach Rick Stemelzak

So he didn't get along with the people with the Giants? I'd say that's commendable. The Bay Area press thinks he's a jerk? Sounds like the perfect guy for the South Side to me.

FightingBillini
01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
It sounds like A.J. wanted to keep Conte & the magic cream he used on Barry Bonds, away from him.:rolleyes:

Thats VICTOR Conte of Balco fame.

Dadawg_77
01-16-2005, 07:28 PM

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

Ouch...

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 07:30 PM
If A.J. does that to Herm, Herm may put A.J. on the 60-day disabled list himself.

Chisox003
01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Im sorry, but I thought that was pretty funny...Uncalled for, but I found it hilarious...He obviously hated SF, including the trainer....Im sure Giants fans wouldnt have found any comedy in it, as I wouldnt if he did that with the Sox, but when i read '"Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin,' I couldnt stop laughin...

Oh well, thats our catcher!

Tekijawa
01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I applaud this response... I got hit in the nuts hundreds of times when I played basketball and I wish I would have thought of this...

hose
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
AJ is a White Sox now , what was done in the past stays in the past.

I always knew Peirasijkeskiski was a drill rod but the slate is wiped clean from here forward.

I expect him to give 100%, be a good teamate and help the club win.

idseer
01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
sounds like a lot of you still swallow this story hook line and sinker.

amazing.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-17-2005, 11:05 AM
sounds like a lot of you still swallow this story hook line and sinker.

amazing.

Now you know why it is over here... with all the other nonsense.

We ought to issue hip waders for surfing this **** pile of a board.
:cool:

California Sox
01-17-2005, 05:27 PM
A friend of mine sent me this today. Haven't seen it on our board. Forgive me if someone has already posted it.

From Saturday's San Francisco Chronicle:

No class whatsoever

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new
employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring,
Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte
rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a
reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously
delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the
enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until
Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of
the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but
it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe
their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no
doubt that it happened."

Here's the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/giants/

I suggest Herm invest in a cup.

cbrownson13
01-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Eh, not a big deal to me. Someone comes up after I take a shot to the jewels and asks me "How it feels" deserves a shot. Especially coming from a male, that is an unneccessary and annoying question at that point.

Nick@Nite
01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
See the new fourum, What's The Score?...

Pierzynski...Whassupwithis? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44133)

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I once got spiked in the same place by a guy trying to break up a DP. While I was rolling on the ground trying to uncross my eyes the umpire came up to me and said "Go ahead and rub it, son. The crowd won't mind." If I could have straightened up my leg, he would have gotten the same treatment.

flo-B-flo
01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
This story gets the big SO WHAT!!

Mickster
01-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I once got spiked in the same place by a guy trying to break up a DP. While I was rolling on the ground trying to uncross my eyes the umpire came up to me and said "Go ahead and rub it, son. The crowd won't mind." If I could have straightened up my leg, he would have gotten the same treatment.

LOL. Quoting the coach from Johnny Be Good... "Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game!" :D:

TimoPerez
01-17-2005, 10:33 PM
This is funnier to some, more than others(Stan Conte).

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

MUsoxfan
01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
http://ebounding.host.sk/collage/lastweek2_small.jpg

Check the other forum...right near the top:D: (What's the Score?)

indysoxfan
01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
ask a stupid question.......:o:

TimoPerez
01-17-2005, 10:42 PM
I am very sorry about the other thread. I didn't see this one.

LincolnSquareOz
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Unbelievable. I may be willing to look past this if he hits .305 this year...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

(It's also referenced by Ron Rapoport in today's Sun-Times.)

soxfan43
01-18-2005, 09:04 AM
wow. kind of hilarious yet very disturbing at the same time. ozzie won't let him pull that **** here.

gosox41
01-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Unbelievable. I may be willing to look past this if he hits .305 this year...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/15/SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

(It's also referenced by Ron Rapoport in today's Sun-Times.)

This was posted earlier, and everyone think's its BS.

Bob

nccwsfan
01-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Don't ask me why, but I'm a little bit skeptical about that story....

JUribe1989
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
:threadsucks

Bisco Stu
01-22-2005, 04:54 AM
Apologize if this has been posted. Mind's been on football lately so haven't been here as much. From the 1/15/05 SF Chronicle:

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories that the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened." ...

TornLabrum
01-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Apologize if this has been posted. Mind's been on football lately so haven't been here as much. From the 1/15/05 SF Chronicle:

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories that the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened." ...

This came up on the Sox list. Now tell me, if this happened DURING A GAME, even an exhibition game, when there are thousands of people in the stands, people in the press box, and possibly people in the broadcast booth watching this as a trainer rushes out to help an injured player, absolutely no one wrote about it or said anything in the broadcast media until ten months after the fact?

dickallen15
01-22-2005, 08:11 AM
They lost me at "now it can be told." Why couldn't it be told before? They reported that other incident.

jabrch
01-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Kinda funny...if you get pounded in the nads, and you are rolling in pain, "HOW DOES IT FEEL" is a stupidass question. Now that doesn't excuse what is said to have happened, if it did...but it is funny as hell.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Apologize if this has been posted. Mind's been on football lately so haven't been here as much. From the 1/15/05 SF Chronicle:...

This was posted over a week ago and now has a lengthy thread filled with nearly as much bull**** as the person who started this ridiculous rumor... and I'm not counting out any "media source" as responsible for spreading it either.

I'm starting to like What's the Score more and more for holding this sort of low-grade crap...

:cool: