PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Day 2 Thread

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 03:01 AM
I know it's early but I'm about to go to sleep and won't be able to get on my computer until 5PM. Thought I'd continue since I already made the Day 1 thread. Hope you guys all get there safe (dress warmly!) and have a blast. I'm hoping I can make it there on Sunday.

Now, tell us all about your Day 2 experiences...

jake27
01-15-2005, 07:16 AM
its a lil after 7 am and i cant wait :bandance:

chisoxmike
01-15-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm leaving around 11.

gosoxgosox
01-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Did anyone attend the Family Matters Seminar? How was it? I didn't make it down there today. The line-up featured a group of really nice guys, I wanted to see how they interacted with their spouses/families. Any photographs?

And pardon me for asking this...but how were the wives?

Rocklive99
01-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I read on the other board that Wills mentioned WSI during the ESPN 1000 coverage

chisoxmike
01-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Just got back, I went to the Ozzie/KW/Hawk seminar, different attitude of fans this time around.

When asked who would play center Ozzie was talking, Hawk suggested Rowand, and Ozzie replied "I make the lineups." It was a funny scene.

Other than that, I picked my 2004 DVD (rip-off), I noticed a lot less vendors this year. There were only a few spots selling T-Shirts and hats and stuff like that. I picked up some 2005 schedules, they're a little different this year, not sure if I like them, there are three different ones, one with Ozzie, Paulie, and Freddy, of course I got the three different ones. Man Soo Lee said I was a very handsome man :?: when I met him at the garage sale. I also saw him in the garage before we left. He waved and put his car into reverse to talk.

Other than that, it was fun, I wish the season would start tomorrow. :)

You always feel like they are destined to go all the way when you leave for some reason.

PS- Thanks to Dan Helpingstine who signed his 1959 and Beyond Book for me today.

Joosh
01-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Just got back from SoxFest today. All around very good experience.

Picked up one of those mystery bags first thing. Came with some cards, and towel from the 2003 Home Run Derby, and...

An Autographed Frank Thomas Picture!!!!! Excited doesn't even begin to cover it.

Went to the Pitching thing with Politte. Very nice guy, gave a lot of good tips.

Somebody mentioned something about Freddy Garcia not being there because of Visa problems. Anyone hear anything about this?

Got an Auto from Burke, very nice guy as well.

Also went to the hitting thing with Paulie. He signed a mini bat of mine afterwards.

I was halfway through the Rowand line when they announced Bo Jackson would be signing autos. So I sent someone over to get a Bo Jackson card for me. Luckily, they found one and I got that signed, along with a ball by Rowand.

Also went to the hitting seminar.

All in All a very good day.:bandance: :bandance:

chisoxmike
01-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Did anyone attend the Family Matters Seminar? How was it? I didn't make it down there today. The line-up featured a group of really nice guys, I wanted to see how they interacted with their spouses/families. Any photographs?

And pardon me for asking this...but how were the wives?

Yeah, Gload pretty muched called his wife a... well he used the term "popular" of her among the other guys at school.

JUribe1989
01-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I got everybodys autograph who was there. Even Carlos May! I got pictures with AJ, Ozzie, KW, Carl Everett, and Tony La Russa. Everett is a funny guy. So is Paulie.

southsideirish71
01-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Just got back, I went to the Ozzie/KW/Hawk seminar, different attitude of fans this time around.

When asked who would play center Ozzie was talking, Hawk suggested Rowand, and Ozzie replied "I make the lineups." It was a funny scene.

Other than that, I picked my 2004 DVD (rip-off), I noticed a lot less vendors this year. There were only a few spots selling T-Shirts and hats and stuff like that. I picked up some 2005 schedules, they're a little different this year, not sure if I like them, there are three different ones, one with Ozzie, Paulie, and Freddy, of course I got the three different ones. Man Soo Lee said I was a very handsome man :?: when I met him at the garage sale. I also saw him in the garage before we left. He waved and put his car into reverse to talk.

You always feel like they are destined to go all the way when you leave for some reason.

PS- Thanks to Dan Helpingstine who signed his 1959 and Beyond Book for me today.

Just got back myself.

I was in that same line with ManSoo Lee at the garage sale. I was there with my 6 month old son all decked out in Black and white. He shook my sons hand. Pretty cool of him. Real down to earth guy.

The family matters seminar was pretty funny. People kidding arow about getting a loan because of his new contract. All the players talked about how wrigley was a dump from the field point of view. Cliff Politte kept saying that when he met his wife he got lucky. Farmio corrected him as it kind of sounded funny. But the best exchange was when Ross talked about how he met his wife. They both went to CSF and she is older. He said a lot of his older friends dated her and he "knew it was good and wanted to get some of that". His wife turned red and tugged on his ear. The look Arow gave him across the row was pretty funny. Arow seems to be a real down to earth type of guy. Crede doesnt talk, very quiet. Sleeps a lot from what Arow and his wife says. Cliff Politte met his wife when he was at a gym and his father was there trying get him to meet some girls said, how about the blonde in front of you.

The KW/Ozzie/Hawk seminar was a lot better than last year. The only major dumb question was some girl who asked "hey my father and I want to know why you didnt sign Beltran" KW answered I have 17 million reasons.
Everyone was a heck of a lot more civil, and people seem to be in a more positive mood than the fight night that was last year. KW was kind of shocked with all the praise. Ozzie asked at the end after a few people praised KW for the moves in the offseason, hey last year you wanted to beat him up, what gives.

Minnie's signature is getting more illegible year after year. I could of forged it this year.

Joosh
01-15-2005, 05:31 PM
For my own peace of mind, can anybody confirm that I have a geniune Frank Thomas Signature? I dont have a scanner, but a short description would be helpful. Thanks!!!!

NSSoxFan2
01-15-2005, 05:36 PM
For my own peace of mind, can anybody confirm that I have a geniune Frank Thomas Signature? I dont have a scanner, but a short description would be helpful. Thanks!!!!

If you bought it at SoxFest, I am pretty sure it's the real deal. I couldn't imagine what would happen to vendors if they tried selling counterfeit autographs.

whitesoxwilkes
01-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Big F, big T, sort of an oval shape drawn between the two. He usually writes his number just below it about 2/3rds of the way from the start of the F.

If it came from one of those mystery bags, I guarantee it's authentic.

Joosh
01-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks!!! It was just kinda weird looking, but its the real deal. It did come from one of those bags. They were a great idea.

DVsoxfan
01-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I had a great day...

I got Hawk's autograph at the Comcast booth. Also got a pic with him, he seems like a really great guy. I also got, Garland, Willie, Gload and Crede. We also saw Jerry Reinsdorf like 4 times as well. My friend even got his auto. The Q/A session was hilarious. We had really good third row seats too. Ozzie is histerical to listen to. He talked about all of the confusion over the Vizquel "signing". One little girl asked where she could send a card to Thomas to make him feel better. Also, someone brought up the Burke/Hunter incident, and Ozzie said, "If you want to do something, do it, dont just talk about doing something, go beat the sh...crap out of them. I forgets theres little kids in here". And hawk said that if that play happens and Torii is on your team, you give him a hug. Then he said that if youre his opponent you want to kill him. Hawk also said that we dont have to do to much to beat the Cubs, just let them beat themselves like in the last few years. Also, Hawk talked more about his joy of having Marriotti gone from radio, and how he hopes soon he will be fired from the Sun-Times. Oh yea, and KW recognized the lady who yelled at him last year...lol. KW also refused to comment on the Iguchi situation, then came shouts of "Flying under the radar" from the crowd.

I also bought an autographed Jeremy Reed baseball, so that when he's in the HOF I can sell it for millions...

EDIT: Also at Q/A session KW expressed desire to keep AJP and Konerko for the long term. Said that they will do all in power to keep Konerko.
Also, when asked by a fan who KW regretted not getting the most, KW said "hes on the Yankees, the big left hander". It was kind of odd that KW would answer that question, I guess it just shows that KW really wanted RJ.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Just got back myself.

Seemed really, really crowded this year downstairs on the floor.

I came away with 5 autographs today-

At 10 am, I was able to get Big Ben Davis to sign the sweet spot of a baseball and also got Cotts to sign a 2004 Topps Total card.

At 11 am, I got Jon Adkins to sign an '03 Donruss Champions card and Jamie Burke to sign an 8" x 10" color glossy. I guess there is a minor league card of Burke's floating around out there, but I've never seen it.

And here's the total steal of the day-

I left at 3pm to go have a late lunch at Houlihan's with my friend Pat. Rowand came strolling in and sat down two tables over. I've always said I wouldn't bug someone when they were eating- but I really wanted Aaron's auto. I believe they had just ordered, and I saw Aaron's wife get up to use the washroom. I asked her when she passed the table if she thought Aaron would mind signing a quick auto. She said go for it. I walked over and very discreetly (didn't make a big scene- kneeled down next to the table and was quiet) politely asked for his auto. I had his 2004 Topps Total card and a blue sharpie ready, so it literally took him 5 seconds. I told him congrats on the new contract and good luck this year. I guess I made a good impression on him and his family (his wife and maybe his mom and sister were with him). A few minutes later, a young lady from his table came over to ask to borrow my sharpie for a few minutes. Not sure what they needed it for. Anyway- all of this happened before their food came to the table. I never, in a million years, would have asked him for the auto if he was eating. Before we left, Jon Adkins came in with two chicks and went towards the back of the restaurant.

Uncle_Patrick
01-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Just got back, had a lot of fun. The Family Matters seminar was a blast. I went to it last year, and there was hardly anyone there. This year, there was a much bigger turn out. Also went to the Your 2005 White Sox seminar. It was a lot friendly this year. I also went the last seminar with Tony LaRussa and Goose Gossage. Heard a lot of great baseball stories. Also learned that Goose is hunter but loves animals. LaRussa ripped on him for being a hunter, but in a good natured way. Goose openly admitted that there was no point in debating the topic and didn't take offense to LaRussa's jokes about hunting.

mike squires
01-15-2005, 07:27 PM
all awesome stories guys. Keep them coming!!! Really wish I could have been there. Two years in a row not able t atted. Just had a baby last year. THis year we're broke.

How does Carl look. In better shape I hope.

Anyone ask Hawk about the Tampa Bay rumors?

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
im sure i saw all of you guys...did anybody see me in the gray jacket with the sleeves rolled up? I waited in line for konerko for aobut 2 hours...we were the last 5 people in the line...it was crazy. I wanted Your-Ebay but he was out. I got konerko and my bro and pops got Borchard. I got 2 free t-shirts from that little brookfield zoo raffle thingy. i also got Hawk's autograph and Bill Melton's. My dad talked to Bill for about 5 minutes and the people behind us were getting uber-mad so we pressed on. I met up with a few people i recognized...but i should have made my own WSI name tag. Oh well. By the time we got there...about 10:30 there were already people lined up for the 2oclock larussa :o: . There was no way in hell i was gunna get that guys autograph unless i sacrificed 3/4s of my sox fest which i didnt want to do. i got some cool shirts and clothes and pennants + other cool sox garb. i dont think the konerko was worth the wait but theres nothing we could do. I went to the Ben Davis thing on catching which was preety cool. he showed us how to block. Then some dude asked how he communicates with shingo. lol. well thast about it for my day at sox fest.

DVsoxfan
01-15-2005, 07:43 PM
all awesome stories guys. Keep them coming!!! Really wish I could have been there. Two years in a row not able t atted. Just had a baby last year. THis year we're broke.

Anyone ask Hawk about the Tampa Bay rumors?

When asked about team speed/breaking up AJP and Konerko, Ozz said he wasnt very worried about it. He said that Carl Everett is in EXCELLENT shape, and should be able to be another base-stealing threat. He also said that it will be fun to watch in Spring Training because now Ozz has the tools to play like he wants too. Also expect to see some funny stuff in ST as far as EVERYONE running. Said that this team will beat people by "running like hell". Didnt say anything about the Tampa rumors, but from his enthusaism about this upcoming season, and the team KW put together, I would be VERY VERY surprised if Hawk left. Theres now way thats gonna happen

DMarte708
01-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Anyone bother to ask Hawk, or another White Sox personnel about DJ's no-show situation?

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I'll keep in short.

Got CE to auto his gamer bat and a ball. 2 Crede atuo'd baseballs, 2 Tim Raines auto'd baseballs. 1 Gload auto'd baseball, 1 Gload gamer bat.

Tomorrow Konerko will auto my PK gamer helmet, 2 PK gamer jerseys and PK gamer bat.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Tomorrow Konerko will auto my PK gamer helmet, 2 PK gamer jerseys and PK gamer bat.

Whoa. I'm assuming you're taking the kids or friends or the wife with you? There's no way in hell they're going to let one guy get 5 items signed by PK, right?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Didnt say anything about the Tampa rumors, but from his enthusaism about this upcoming season, and the team KW put together, I would be VERY VERY surprised if Hawk left. Theres now way thats gonna happen

Hawk seemed a bit quieter than usual and let KW and Ozzie handle the questions for the most part. Still, it seems highly doubtful that he is leaving. He talked about how excited he is for the upcoming year and how fun this team is going be because of the pitching and speed.

On the otherhand, I didn't hear DJ's name mentioned one time anywhere during the event.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 08:29 PM
im sure i saw all of you guys...did anybody see me in the gray jacket with the sleeves rolled up? I waited in line for konerko for aobut 2 hours...we were the last 5 people in the line...it was crazy. I wanted Your-Ebay but he was out. I got konerko and my bro and pops got Borchard. I got 2 free t-shirts from that little brookfield zoo raffle thingy. i also got Hawk's autograph and Bill Melton's. My dad talked to Bill for about 5 minutes and the people behind us were getting uber-mad so we pressed on. I met up with a few people i recognized...but i should have made my own WSI name tag. Oh well. By the time we got there...about 10:30 there were already people lined up for the 2oclock larussa :o: . There was no way in hell i was gunna get that guys autograph unless i sacrificed 3/4s of my sox fest which i didnt want to do. i got some cool shirts and clothes and pennants + other cool sox garb. i dont think the konerko was worth the wait but theres nothing we could do. I went to the Ben Davis thing on catching which was preety cool. he showed us how to block. Then some dude asked how he communicates with shingo. lol. well thast about it for my day at sox fest.

yeh, i SAW you. you STEPPED on my little brother's foot and didn't bother to apologize. you my friend, are a JERK! haha, im kidding

A couple of questions for those of you who attended, I've never been to SoxFest;
1) how long are the lines for autographs?
2) do you have to pay for autographs or seminars do you just pay the $15 a day or $45 weekend pass and you get access to everything?

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Whoa. I'm assuming you're taking the kids or friends or the wife with you? There's no way in hell they're going to let one guy get 5 items signed by PK, right?

Actually my girlfriend is helping me. Your only allowed 1 item per player, but I'm allowed as many as I want. I guess when you fly in 2100 miles for Soxfest, your allowed a little leneance.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Actually my girlfriend is helping me. Your only allowed 1 item per player, but I'm allowed as many as I want. I guess when you fly in 2100 miles for Soxfest, your allowed a little leneance.

Ah, Ok. You've got a special deal set up, and you deserve it (2100 miles- wow!). I live a mile away, so I'll take my one item and be quiet now :D:

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:42 PM
yeh, i SAW you. you STEPPED on my little brother's foot and didn't bother to apologize. you my friend, are a JERK! haha, im kidding

A couple of questions for those of you who attended, I've never been to SoxFest;
1) how long are the lines for autographs?
2) do you have to pay for autographs or seminars do you just pay the $15 a day or $45 weekend pass and you get access to everything?

The longest lines are 3 hours to wait. The shortest might be 30 minutes.

Everything is included when you enter (except LaRussa's $5 donation for an auto). $15 gets you everything- autos and seminars. Just bring something to get autographed.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Just got back, had a lot of fun. The Family Matters seminar was a blast.

Ross Gload might be sleeping on the couch tonight though :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Ah, Ok. You've got a special deal set up, and you deserve it (2100 miles- wow!). I live a mile away, so I'll take my one item and be quiet now :D:

Deal is right. The "higher up" (who will remain nameless) at Soxfest and with the organization gave me the "A-OK" on it and anythinhg else I need. I feel like a guest of honor or something. :D:

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Deal is right. The "higher up" (who will remain nameless) at Soxfest and with the organization gave me the "A-OK" on it and anythinhg else I need. I feel like a guest of honor or something. :D:

Brooks is a cool guy. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Brooks is a cool guy. :D:

I will say this it ISN"T Brook.

BarbG
01-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Breakfast with Carl Everett this morning was the most fun I've had in a while. What a nice, friendly, FUNNY guy. He looks really good too, says his shoulder hurts but he's been dieting and working out. I hope he does well this year, we'll be cheering a little louder for him.

I was surprised how crowded it was today, had a great time at my first Sox Fest, how long til April?

Harris=God
01-15-2005, 10:35 PM
tomorrow will be my first soxfest and i was wondering if there is a lot to do other than was is on the schedule if not it will most likely be fun.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-15-2005, 10:42 PM

no way....that was ur brother? i remember stepping on some kids foot...MY BAD!

gobears1987
01-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Gee I wonder why!!!!

FarWestChicago
01-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Gee I wonder why!!!!Not Teal!!

:tealpolice:

NowBatting19
01-15-2005, 11:18 PM
I also just got back and had an awesome time. Can't wait for the season to start. I would have liked to have seen more of the seminars you guys have talked about, but I waited in line for LaRussa for 2 hours which took up most of the time. OH well. When LaRussa came in, Reinsdorf, Herm Schneider, Baines and Kittle were all there. Low and behold, before I knew it I was getting Reinsdorf's auto.---I told him I had a good feeling about this year, and he said the same thing. (Would he say otherwise?:smile: ) I know you all can sleep better tonight! Overall I got six autographs and had Gene Honda sign my program. He is the best. Did did anyone get cut off at LaRussa's stage? I know time was running out for him because of the seminar, I got his auto just before 4:00, and I saw PR people who looked a little worried toward the end. There was approx. 100 more people after me. Bummer if they didn't get it.

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2005, 11:30 PM
tomorrow will be my first soxfest and i was wondering if there is a lot to do other than was is on the schedule if not it will most likely be fun.

There are all sorts of vendors downstairs with just about every type of Sox item you could want, well just about. Enjoy your time at Soxfest!

Uncle_Patrick
01-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Gload's story about his wife had to be the highlight of the meeting! I think that he might have been sleeping on Aaron Rowand's couch after that.

manuelsucks
01-16-2005, 11:14 AM
It was a fun day. I got there and right away got Adkins and Burke signatures. Then I went and bought a couple T-shirts and a hoddie. There were some good deals there. I made my way upstairs to catch the end of the Family Matters seminar so I could get a seat for the seminar with Ozzie, KW and Hawk. I gotta say, Farmer looks a little... well I can't find an appropriate word, so let's just call him a little off the beaten trail. When the seminar began, there was only one stupid question, like someone had mentioned earlier. "Why wouldn't we go for Carlos Beltran?" KW's response was perfect "I can give your 17 million reasons why." I was a little disappointed when Hawk said something about Mariotti's lies, someone yelled "What about your lies!" That was uncalled for. Besides that, it was a very good experience. It really does get me excited for this season!

Unregistered
01-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I gotta say, Farmer looks a little... well I can't find an appropriate word, so let's just call him a little off the beaten trail. LOL, I was looking at the photo gallery on the official site and came across this photographic gem that had me rolling:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2370

"People ask me, 'Farmio, is that a loafer or a mocassin that you're wearing in the dead of winter?' and I tell them 'The term 'mocassin' is actually a loose Native American translation of the word 'Moc ho soc' which basically means 'loafer'..." :redneck

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 01:51 PM
I was a little disappointed when Hawk said something about Mariotti's lies, someone yelled "What about your lies!" That was uncalled for.

Yeah, ***? I don't know Hawk or what he has said that well, but what did he lie about? I'm sure he really thought that Garland would win 18 games when he said it.

zach074
01-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Gload's story about his wife had to be the highlight of the meeting! I think that he might have been sleeping on Aaron Rowand's couch after that.

What did Ross say?

manuelsucks
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, ***? I don't know Hawk or what he has said that well, but what did he lie about? I'm sure he really thought that Garland would win 18 games when he said it.

Hawk did say a questionable things, but like you said I never heard him say anything that he didn't believe. I really don't know what that guy was thinking.

SouthBendSox
01-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Dj isn't welcome

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I just got back from the weekend festivities at SoxFest. I don't think I've ever been to a more crowded SoxFest. I thought that I would avoid having to wait in line on Saturday if I left my hotel room after 10:00. WRONG! That line to get in was incredible! It stretched all the way from the entrance to the Pedway underneath the building next door. If this does not prove how large our fan base really is, nothing will.

I attended all the seminars so I won't reiterate what other posts said about them. I thought the trivia seminar with Moose and Melton going at it was funny. Harold was there too and I don't think he has ever said more in public than he did yesterday.

I also attended the Family Party, but it did not seem as exciting as last year's. Also, I had the impression that they had way too little food. I got there at about 6:45 because I was at the 5:15 Mass at Holy Name (Farmio was there too) and they fireworks show at Pioneer Court (which prevented me from crossing the Michigan Avenue bridge at the time). When I got there the food....IT GONE! Oh, well.

The best time was in the atrium bar Saturday night. The place erupted into cheers several times when the Falcons made a great play and when they showed the highlight of the Bulls' win over the Knicks. I spent some time talking with very affable Ozzie Guillen Jr. who was holding court and discussed many things. Aaron Rowand, Joe Crede, and Willie Harris were there amongst us in the atrium bar signing autographs and drinking. Dave Wills also stopped by; he and I talked some Horizon League basketball. I admit that I maybe had a tad more libations than I should have, but it was a great time there Saturday night. To me, this is always the true highlight of SoxFest.

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 04:53 PM
The best time was in the atrium bar Saturday night. The place erupted into cheers several times when the Falcons made a great play and when they showed the highlight of the Bulls' win over the Knicks. I spent some time talking with very affable Ozzie Guillen Jr. who was holding court and discussed many things. Aaron Rowand, Joe Crede, and Willie Harris were there amongst us in the atrium bar signing autographs and drinking. Dave Wills also stopped by; he and I talked some Horizon League basketball. I admit that I maybe had a tad more libations than I should have, but it was a great time there Saturday night. To me, this is always the true highlight of SoxFest.

Viva, were you at my table?

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Viva, were you at my table?

Maybe. I had the goofy Sox tie (which numerous people asked me where I got it). I tend to keep a low profile at SoxFest, even though Wills recognized me.

Foulke You
01-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I was a little disappointed when Hawk said something about Mariotti's lies, someone yelled "What about your lies!" That was uncalled for.

I had the unfortunate bad luck to be sitting near that drill rod. He would not shut up through the whole damn seminar on Saturday. I'm trying to listen to people's questions and comments from KW, Ozzie, and Hawk, and this guy behind me on the floor keeps yapping smartass comments for EVERYTHING (most of them were negative towards KW, Ozzie, and Hawk). I shot him a glare after the Hawk "lies" comment and I voiced my displeasure with him as we were walking out but I don't think he heard me however, I believe his friend did.

If that idiot had such issues with them, why didn't he have the guts to get in line and ask a question to their faces rather than sitting down on the floor and randomly yelling stuff and ruining everyone else's experience? Nobody came to the seminar to hear some blowhard fan rudely shoot his mouth off. He pissed me off so much, I was going to get security but the crowd was so thick, I would have missed the seminar trying to find someone to give him the boot. That guy was such a moron, words cannot describe the crap spewing from his mouth. I hope to God it wasn't a WSI poster because I feel most of the people around here have more class than that guy. There...felt good to get that rant off my chest.:cool:

jake27
01-16-2005, 05:13 PM
I was a little disappointed when Hawk said something about Mariotti's lies, someone yelled "What about your lies!" That was uncalled for. Besides that, it was a very good experience. It really does get me excited for this season!

i was by that really really old guy who said that. he was yelling stuff out during the whole thing, it got really annoying. :mad:

soxwon
01-16-2005, 05:14 PM
i had a great time.
hangar you crack me up!!!
mots is very cool too , i meet ewokpelts and een my nemesis KITTLE 42 introduced himself.
i made up some nametags that went over prett well.
also steff was there.
im sorry if i didnt mention your name, if i meet you.
i got tons of pics and graphs, cant wait till next fest!!!

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Maybe. I had the goofy Sox tie (which numerous people asked me where I got it). I tend to keep a low profile at SoxFest, even though Wills recognized me.

I talked to you a few times. I had on a black sweater and khakis.

Foulke You
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Overall, had a great time Friday and Saturday. Got a great White Sox bottle opener with Hawk's voice calling the Valentin homer that beat the Cubs in 2003, a $1 bottle of White Sox hot sauce (how could i pass that up?), and a 2003 All Star American League authentic jersey for $20 which was a steal.

I agree with previous posters that there wasn't as many venders selling jerseys, shirts, and the like. I was surprised that Grandstand and the jersey lettering guys weren't there this year. They were so busy last year, I thought for sure they'd get a booth again this year. Wonder why they didn't come back?

I attended the seminar with AJ Pierzynski, Polite, and Garland on Friday night. AJ is quite a character and I think he will fit in well and keep the clubhouse loose. Farmer had the comment of the night though responding to a fan who lost money betting that Garland would win more games than Buehrle every year. The fan playfully accused Farmer of giving him bad information because he kept telling us Garland was going to win 20 games. Farmer responded "Well, you see I didn't really lie though, because I never said he would win 20 games all in one season.":D:

Uncle_Patrick
01-16-2005, 05:27 PM
What did Ross say?

Ross and his wife attended the same college. He said she had dated some of his friends and was "popular" with the guys around campus.

Nick@Nite
01-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Maybe. I had the goofy Sox tie (which numerous people asked me where I got it).

Sounds like you were styling. :cool:

I wish I was there. :(:

Brian26
01-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Got a great White Sox bottle opener with Hawk's voice calling the Valentin homer that beat the Cubs in 2003

LOL! Wait a minute. This sounds like the coolest thing in this history of mankind. How did I miss this? This is a bottle opener that plays Hawk's call of that Jose walkoff? Does it play every time you open a bottle up? That is too good to be true. Where was that?

Brian26
01-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Ross and his wife attended the same college. He said she had dated some of his friends and was "popular" with the guys around campus.

It was a classic example of a guy trying to dig himself out a hole....but there was nothing but quicksand surrounding him.

Nick@Nite
01-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Who paid for the couch? :redneck

C-Dawg
01-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I had the unfortunate bad luck to be sitting near that drill rod. He would not shut up through the whole damn seminar on Saturday. I'm trying to listen to people's questions and comments from KW, Ozzie, and Hawk, and this guy behind me on the floor keeps yapping smartass comments for EVERYTHING (most of them were negative towards KW, Ozzie, and Hawk)

This was that guy that was yelling "Cheap!! Cheap!!" whenever Kenny was talking? I was a little ways behind him; couldn't tell exactly who it was, but everyone around was cringing due to the uncalled-for yelling. I guess there's always got to be a troublemaker even though everything else seemed to go so well.

C-Dawg
01-16-2005, 05:48 PM
The best time was in the atrium bar Saturday night.

Note to myself: Spend the extra money to stay at the Hyatt next year so I can attend the festivities in the bar!

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree with previous posters that there wasn't as many venders selling jerseys, shirts, and the like. I was surprised that Grandstand and the jersey lettering guys weren't there this year. They were so busy last year, I thought for sure they'd get a booth again this year. Wonder why they didn't come back?:D:

When I did some Christmas shopping at Grandstand, I was told by someone at Grandstand that they would not be at SoxFest because of a scheduling conflict. Grandstand was in Florida for a convention at which they get all their merchandise.

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 06:07 PM
I talked to you a few times. I had on a black sweater and khakis.

I wish I remembered the conversations and I apologize for that b/c I was probably way too drinky to remember everyone whom I talked to. I got there about 8:30 p.m., and it was 1:15 a.m. before I knew it!

Brian26
01-16-2005, 06:09 PM
This was that guy that was yelling "Cheap!! Cheap!!" whenever Kenny was talking?

Good Grief. Like Kenny has any control over that to begin with. What a moron.

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I just got home from the weekend. My dad called to ask what I said to KW at the Q&A. I said I had a bet to say "You da man". He then told me to check the Trib. :wink:

Had a great time meeting and chatting with other WSI'ers. My friend Scot is now a Sox fan...he had a great time and can't wait to see you guys again at the tailgate in Milwaukee.

I got a Harold Baines worn BP hat and a cracked game-used Aaron Rowand bat which he signed for me at the bar. I got autos and pics at the bar with Rowand, Crede, Raines, Everett, and Ozzie jr. Later, I was a bit loaded, so i was giving Joe Crede bunting lessons (he was asking me about what I played in college (softball) and tiold him that I was a hell of a bunter...) I think Rowand and I were on the same bathroom schedule (not on purpose), so I had a running joke with him (I told him he would be a God here in Chicago if he stays and performs the way he did last year). So everytime I passed him I said "A God, Aaron...a God!". I think he thought that was funny.

Carl Everett was sitting behind me most of the night. He is in GREAT shape and is a really nice guy. Rowand and Crede are very nice and approachable too. I won't write what I think of Willie Harris.

The only disappointments were that I never saw Podsednik and Guillen didn't come down to the bar like last year. Oh well, maybe next year.

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
The only disappointments were that I never saw Podsednik and Guillen didn't come down to the bar like last year. Oh well, maybe next year.

Ozzie Jr. was there.

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Ozzie Jr. was there.

Oh I know. We chatted quite a bit. He was sitting next to me near the end of the night. He went to Eckerd College, and I was going to go there but I got a larger scholarship offer from somewhere else. He's a great guy, but still not his dad. :wink:

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 06:56 PM
I just got home from the weekend. My dad called to ask what I said to KW at the Q&A. I said I had a bet to say "You da man". He then told me to check the Trib. :wink:

It got more attention than that.
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Kenny.bmp

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Ozzie Jr. was there.

How old is Ozzie Jr? This kid's got it made. All he does is party, and Ozzie Sr mentioned in the seminar that his son is on the Sox payroll as a translator for the team.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I won't write what I think of Willie Harris.

Uh oh. Willie hitting the juice too hard again?

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 07:09 PM

My soundcard isn't working on my computer. What is it? Is it my comment?

Nick@Nite
01-16-2005, 07:12 PM

:)

C-Dawg
01-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Heh heh, that's awesome!! :supernana:

Rocklive99
01-16-2005, 07:16 PM
My soundcard isn't working on my computer. What is it? Is it my comment?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050115&content_id=931535&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

In fact, one fan stood before the crowd microphone and announced to Williams that "you da man" in addition to being the team's Most Valuable Player. The sharp-witted Guillen, who joined Williams and television play-by-play man Ken 'Hawk' Harrelson on stage, couldn't resist poking a little fun at the change in attitude. "Last year, we almost went down there and fought," said Guillen, doing a mock karate kick to reinforce the point to an amused crowd. "Now, you think he's a genius."

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Heh heh, that's awesome!! :supernana:

What is it? :(: Stupid computer wopn't recognize my soundcard.

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I wish I remembered the conversations and I apologize for that b/c I was probably way too drinky to remember everyone whom I talked to. I got there about 8:30 p.m., and it was 1:15 a.m. before I knew it!

No worries, I can't remember much either. The big beers in a big glass were going down like water.

SoxBoy14
01-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, Gload pretty muched called his wife a... well he used the term "popular" of her among the other guys at school.

And people think he's not an asset to this team:D:

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 07:55 PM

yeah...even grandstand wasnt there....
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:19 PM
LOL! Wait a minute. This sounds like the coolest thing in this history of mankind. How did I miss this? This is a bottle opener that plays Hawk's call of that Jose walkoff? Does it play every time you open a bottle up? That is too good to be true. Where was that?yeah..the chicago sports and novelty guys had those....they have a store on michigan ave...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Note to myself: Spend the extra money to stay at the Hyatt next year so I can attend the festivities in the bar!
before taxes it was only 120 a night....super cheap considering that you get soxfest passes and free ud tix to boot...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:26 PM
does it have a hologram sticker? if so, go to mlb.com...they have an authenticator site...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks!!! It was just kinda weird looking, but its the real deal. It did come from one of those bags. They were a great idea.
then it's legit....i got a loaiza auto pic from the mystery bag...and i looked it up on teh authenticator site..it gave the date, venue, and "event" (it was signed in spring training)
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Ozzie Jr. was there.

Both he and his girlfriend were up in the bar Sat night.

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 08:32 PM
that's cool....tell jerry i said hi...
Gene

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 08:57 PM
What is it? :(: Stupid computer wopn't recognize my soundcard.

No silly, they just used your words to come up with a title for the main story on their website. I'm jealous. :tongue:

Palehose13
01-16-2005, 09:05 PM
No silly, they just used your words to come up with a title for the main story on their website. I'm jealous. :tongue:

Well that I saw, but the pic had multilmedia buttons, so I thought maybe that was what you were talking about.

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 10:19 PM
How old is Ozzie Jr? This kid's got it made. All he does is party, and Ozzie Sr mentioned in the seminar that his son is on the Sox payroll as a translator for the team.

Ozzie Jr. is 20 years old, per an old White Sox media guide that says he was born 6/30/84. Oney (1/25/86) is days away from turning 18. Ozney (1/2/92) is 13.

Brian26
01-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Oney..... and .....Ozney

Oney and Ozney?

And I thought Prince Fielder was bad....

Viva Medias B's
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
yeah..the chicago sports and novelty guys had those....they have a store on michigan ave...
Gene

Grandstand has 'em too.

Foulke You
01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
LOL! Wait a minute. This sounds like the coolest thing in this history of mankind. How did I miss this? This is a bottle opener that plays Hawk's call of that Jose walkoff? Does it play every time you open a bottle up? That is too good to be true. Where was that?

As a previous poster pointed out, it was at the Chicago Sports and Novelty Booth. It is pretty damn cool and although $8 is a bit steep for a bottle opener, it will be well worth it when my Cub fan friends come to visit, I will be sure to open their beer with it so they can hear: "That ball hit HARD into right center field...way back...he looks up YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YEEEEEEES!!!! JOSE VALENTIN!!!":cool:

Iwritecode
01-17-2005, 02:18 AM
before taxes it was only 120 a night....super cheap considering that you get soxfest passes and free ud tix to boot...
Gene

Be warned, for some reason this year the posted price for a two-night stay was only for two people. They did not advertise this information and I was highly upset when receiving my hotel bill.

They eventually gave me the advertised price but I told them that if they are going to do that agian next year, they need to be very clear on the prices.

If I bring 4 people to Soxfest, I expect to pay the price advertised. :angry:

I'm also going to email Brooks about this just so he's aware of it...

Iwritecode
01-17-2005, 02:20 AM

I saw you walking around but never really talked to you. I was the guy with long hair sitting at the table with Wilkes, Steff, Henry, Mickster, ect...

Hangar18
01-17-2005, 11:48 AM

I told Willie that Ive been calling him South-Side Willie for a while,
and that I told him I spoke to Rock and that he liked the name too,
and thats his new name .......... He said Oh Yeah? and said he likes
it a lot and and said Cool man and shook my hand. Sorry Hawk,
he doesnt like PeaPod heh heh :cool:

Hangar18
01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
WILKES, if you would be so kind as to Send me the pic
of me Being Interviewed by Univision, the spanish-language station
Friday Nite ...... :smile:

whitesoxwilkes
01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Sure. I need your email though...PM me.

steff
01-17-2005, 12:17 PM

He was much better than in Detroit. Him and Jim had some words, and he seemed much more positive and down to earth. Looking forward to working with Tim. More open minded in general. Good sign, IMO.

steff
01-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Both he and his girlfriend were up in the bar Sat night.

LMAO.. girlfriend..? :rolleyes:

robiwho
01-17-2005, 02:45 PM
As a previous poster pointed out, it was at the Chicago Sports and Novelty Booth. It is pretty damn cool and although $8 is a bit steep for a bottle opener, it will be well worth it when my Cub fan friends come to visit, I will be sure to open their beer with it so they can hear: "That ball hit HARD into right center field...way back...he looks up YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!! YEEEEEEES!!!! JOSE VALENTIN!!!":cool:

I got one of these for Christmas, it became the instant hit of the family party. Everyone suddenly got real thirsty. I think I've been drinking more beer since then just so I can hear Hawk! :smile:

The person who gave it to me said he got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, so they should be easy to find.

chisoxmike
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
One more thing I almost forgot...

I saw Man Soo Lee on Saturday, very nice guy, he said I was "a very handsome man." Ok :?: . I thought that was funny.

Rocky Soprano
01-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Friday night at the bar was awesome. I was standing right by Willie the whole night. He kept hugging me and my brother and just talking with us. He kept asking us all kinds of stuff and we kept asking him things about the team. Some guy was trying to be funny and asked him why he always struggles and he didnt like that, he said if they played me all year then I would be able to show you what I can do. He actually bought a round of drinks a couple of times.

I talked a bit to Everett, Minnie, Bill Melton, and Gene Honda.

I met Henry towards the end of the night.

I went back on Saturday but I was tired that I left around 11:30. So I guess I missed all the players.

ewokpelts
01-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Friday night at the bar was awesome. I was standing right by Willie the whole night. He kept hugging me and my brother and just talking with us. He kept asking us all kinds of stuff and we kept asking him things about the team. Some guy was trying to be funny and asked him why he always struggles and he didnt like that, he said if they played me all year then I would be able to show you what I can do. He actually bought a round of drinks a couple of times.

I talked a bit to Everett, Minnie, Bill Melton, and Gene Honda.

I met Henry towards the end of the night.

I went back on Saturday but I was tired that I left around 11:30. So I guess I missed all the players.
Yeah, but hanging with Willie is cool too...
Gene

DaleJRFan
01-18-2005, 09:22 AM
:tomatoaward

:)

Rocky Soprano
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but hanging with Willie is cool too...
Gene

Gene,

I saw you on Sunday at the Q&A session. I dont know if you saw me, I was sitting in the second row. I looked for you after but didnt find you.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know why none of the players were at the family party on Saturday night? Players always attended this in years past, but I didn't see a single one.

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know why none of the players were at the family party on Saturday night? Players always attended this in years past, but I didn't see a single one.

They were all in the bar doing Shots with me ...... :smile:

SOXFAN82
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Tony was a great guy to meet. I always was a fun of him after he left the club. I was shocked when I found out that he was going to be at soxfest. I made sure to see him at the seminar on Saturday. After the seminar he signed a few autographs then left the stage. He said before he left the stage that he would be back. He kept his word and came back behind the stage and signed autographs for some people. I got him to sign my 83 ball and took a pic with him. He was a very friendly guy. I hope to see him again at SoxFest.

Brian