PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Day 1 Thread

WhiteSoxFan84
01-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I won't be attending today and I really wanted to go. But, since I won't be there, I know a lot of you will be. Please tell me and everyone else interested how it was, who was there, who you met, what autographs you got, and everything else that went down over there.

Palehose13
01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Ugh...still waiting to leave. :(:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Well at least you're going!! :(: :(: :(:

MUsoxfan
01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Should have called in a sub today PH13. That's gonna be an awful drive at this hour

Palehose13
01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Should have called in a sub today PH13. That's gonna be an awful drive at this hour
Oh, I did. I'm waiting for my friend to get off of work and I have no idea when that is and his cell phone isn't working. :(:

NSSoxFan2
01-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Whats up guys? It's about 8:45 and everything is still going strong. I am really psyched about Sox baseball, as I always am, but in particular when SoxFest rolls around. The only thing I am disappointed at is the lack of great merchandise. Triple Threat Sports nor Grandstand were there, and no one else was putting names on jerseys like in the past.

WHAT A GREAT TIME!

C-Dawg
01-14-2005, 08:46 PM
The only thing I am disappointed at is the lack of great merchandise. Triple Threat Sports nor Grandstand were there, and no one else was putting names on jerseys like in the past.

Hmmm, maybe tomorrow perhaps?

zach074
01-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Lucky! I wish i could be there.

JGarlandrules20
01-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Just got back, it was really fun. I got 6 autographs: Podsednik, Crede, Konerko, Garland, Politte, and Adkins.

I saw some WSI people too, suprisingly. They had the nifty little nametags on. I recognized someone else from the photo gallery....pinwheels3530. his son is really cute!

I'm proud of the fact I'm making progress when I meet players. I don't spazz as much. :redface:

I have 9 pictures to waste then I'll get my film developed.....

and let me just say...jon garland looked soo hot! :smile:

JUribe1989
01-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Just got back, it was really fun. I got 6 autographs: Podsednik, Crede, Konerko, Garland, Politte, and Adkins.

I saw some WSI people too, suprisingly. They had the nifty little nametags on. I recognized someone else from the photo gallery....pinwheels3530. his son is really cute!

I'm proud of the fact I'm making progress when I meet players. I don't spazz as much. :redface:

Did you get any pictures of you with players?

JGarlandrules20
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Did you get any pictures of you with players?Yep, all six I got pics with. I'm not sure how well the Scott Podsednik one will turn out...the flash didn't go off.

Realist
01-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm planning on showing up tomorrow afternoon. On another thread someone told me everything shuts down by 5pm on Saturday. Is this true? I've gotta go charm the masses at the bar tonite and I won't be getting outta there until 7am. I wanna get some sleep tomorrow morning, so if it's going until 9pm again tomorrow I get to sleep in.

NonetheLoaiza
01-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought it was a great day one. I went to the Base Stealing 101 seminar with Willie, Pods, Rock, and Hawk. I gotta say, I love the seminars, because its just pure baseball talk, and I love that. I went around downstairs too, got Pods, Dye, etc autograph. Also, purchased one the bags with White Sox memorabilia for White Sox charities. My dad got a Dan Wright signed ball in his bag, while I came out with a Konerko signed picture. Gotta say, day one was great. Looking forward to the next two days as well. Hope everyone elses time was good too.

bafiarocks03
01-14-2005, 10:25 PM

haha.. I did see Jon too, and i agree he did look hot! But not as hot as my Willie! Anywoo this year was very exciting! I got Willie Harris' autograph on my 'Harris' jersey! I got Juan Uribe on my 'Konerko' jersey! Willie was wearing this hat, and he looked soo cute! anywoo! i was shaking when i got up there, so i did get a picture of them, just not with them! But i did of Jamie Burke, i was in that one!Then got Ben Davis, Neal Cotts, and Jamie Burke (now married..very sad), on my 'Konerko' jersey! I got a picture with Jamie, just because I love him the most out of those 3! hehe! I almost caught Joe Crede's signed T-Shirt in the Opening Ceremonies thing! i was that close!

JGarlandrules20
01-14-2005, 10:31 PM
haha.. I did see Jon too, and i agree he did look hot! But not as hot as my Willie! Anywoo this year was very exciting! I got Willie Harris' autograph on my 'Harris' jersey! I got Juan Uribe on my 'Konerko' jersey! Willie was wearing this hat, and he looked soo cute! anywoo! i was shaking when i got up there, so i did get a picture of them, just not with them! But i did of Jamie Burke, i was in that one!Then got Ben Davis, Neal Cotts, and Jamie Burke (now married..very sad), on my 'Konerko' jersey! I got a picture with Jamie, just because I love him the most out of those 3! hehe! I almost caught Joe Crede's signed T-Shirt in the Opening Ceremonies thing! i was that close!Willie did look cute, I must say! :smile:

Crede's shirt flew right over my head. I thought he was trying to kill me...it was too high for me to snag it, though.

bafiarocks03
01-14-2005, 10:38 PM
I thought it was a great day one. I went to the Base Stealing 101 seminar with Willie, Pods, Rock, and Hawk. I gotta say, I love the seminars, because its just pure baseball talk, and I love that. I went around downstairs too, got Pods, Dye, etc autograph. Also, purchased one the bags with White Sox memorabilia for White Sox charities. My dad got a Dan Wright signed ball in his bag, while I came out with a Konerko signed picture. Gotta say, day one was great. Looking forward to the next two days as well. Hope everyone elses time was good too.

Yea I was at that seminar too, to see my Willie, except i did get there at like 8:00, cuz i was getting Neal, Ben, and Jamie! But Willie is so cute and so funny! i was standing on the wall toward the back, and i was still about to cry!:D:

BainesHOF
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Friday's Soxfest was a good experience for me. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood from the start. The ballroom was packed by the time opening ceremonies got underway. (It was so packed that people were held up at the entrance for, according to a buddy, an unnecessarily long time without being told why even after the ballroom crowd was let out to go downstairs to the main area. Apparently a Sox employee or two copped a bad attitude with the people who didn't know why there were still waiting even after the ballroom emptied.) Inside the ballroom, though, it was nice to have Nancy Faust and her organ warm up the crowd.

The Garage Sale had plenty of stuff, but not many premium items. Another friend of mine bought the only Roberto Alomar bat available, while I bought an Ordonez helmet, a Thomas lockerroom nameplate and a 9-11-03 lineup card of that infamous game where Loaiza got rocked by the Twins that pretty much sealed our fate. I was at that game and figured, as much as it hurt, that the card was a historical representation of the disappointing season. I didn't even notice this until after I bought it, but the backround of the card has a special 9-11 commemorative logo which looks cool. I also bought autographed sharp-looking photos of Shingo and Uribe, along with a 2004 season highlights DVD. A bonus at the Garage Sale was Harold Baines walked in unannounced, sat down at a table and starting signing away. I was able to get two different Baseball Digests with him on the cover signed.

Once I headed downstairs I immediately went to get Hawk to sign a ball at the little Comcast table. I asked him how many games we were going to win this year. After a long, thoughtful pause, he said "88 to 91" and then settled on "91," saying that should be good enough to make the playoffs, and then anything could happen after that. I said I was hoping that we could win maybe a couple more and he said candidly, "You can't expect that with the two guys (Ordonez and Lee) we lost." It was a refreshingly honest answer. Hawk was all fired up. That was good to see.

Then I headed to the Raines/Dye line. I had Raines sign an old White Sox bat of his. He was very friendly with everyone and took his time to give a good signature to everyone. Unfortunately Dye, for some dumb reason, wouldn't sign any balls on the sweet sport, which is where collectors prefer. Since there are no pictures of Dye in a Sox uniform yet, quite a number of people myself included didn't have Dye sign anything. I did talk with him a bit and welcomed him to Chicago and told him we were counting on him to have a big year. He said he feels good, so hopefully that holds true. For whatever reason, Dye didn't seem like he wanted to be there though. He kept looking at his watch and checking to see where the line ended. I hope he shows much more interest in playing.

I got Moose Skowron to sign a ball and asked him what was the farthest home run he had hit. He then recalled his top five, which included three in Yankee Stadium's bleachers (he proudly noted that Mantle hit only two there), a blast at Fenway which was the second-longest hit there, and a roof shot at Comiskey. He concluded by saying he wishes he could play one more season so he'd be a millionaire. He was great to listen to...Then I had Bill Melton sign a photo of him in his powder blue uniform. I told him he should be on TV and of course he agreed.

In between I checked out most of the vendors booths. I picked up an 1983 DVD, a cool Nellie Fox photoball and a couple of Fox pins, and a handful of cool photos.

Instead of making a last run at another autograph line, a friend and I decided to check out the seminar on stealing bases with Podsednik, Harris, Raines and Hawk. It was amazing how Hawk really put it to Harris about his inability to steal. I'm not a big fan of Harris, but I felt a bit bad for him because Hawk was blunt about Harris' troubles, and Hawk really went on and on about them. To Harris' credit, he later said that he knows that the reason Hawk says such things is because he cares. It seemed like a genuine answer too. Podsednik was really well spoken and upbeat. I think Sox fans are going to like him a lot, as long as he reaches base with regularity. The way Raines was talking, it seems like he wants to see Podsednik and Harris steal third more. Later in the seminar during the Q&A with fans, some fans started to talk tough in general about the team. Saturday's Q&A with Kenny Williams and Hawk should be a doozie. I just hope people remember it is Reinsdorf which forces Willliams to have to go cheap and take chances with players. In my opinion, Reinsdorf is the one who needs to be grilled, not Williams or Hawk.

The only negative for me was having to pay $39 for parking at the Hyatt garage for over six hours. That's stealing. The Sox should pressure the Hyatt into providing $20 parking for fans attending the fest. The $39 is a blatant rip-off and I'm sure will leave people with a bad taste in their mouth on what should be an otherwise fun Soxfest experience.

Have fun this weekend if you go. I'll be returning Sunday.

Shingotime!!
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Did anyone get a sox pride wristband?

NonetheLoaiza
01-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Of course...I picked up 5 of them for me and a couple friends. I really like it, because you can just about identify Sox fans if they are wearing them. Plus, it goes to a good cause. Did anyone check out the mystery bags that the White Sox Charities were selling?

chisoxcardsbabe
01-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Of course...I picked up 5 of them for me and a couple friends. I really like it, because you can just about identify Sox fans if they are wearing them. Plus, it goes to a good cause. Did anyone check out the mystery bags that the White Sox Charities were selling?
One of my friends bought one just for the hell of it....I wasn't impressed. It DID contain a Joe Borchard signed ball, and that's when I knew it was worth the whole ten dollars.

BainesHOF
01-14-2005, 11:17 PM
One thing I forgot to add: In case anyone was still wondering, Baines told me he is back as the team's bench coach.

bafiarocks03
01-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Did anyone get a sox pride wristband?

hehe i got 5!

jake27
01-14-2005, 11:28 PM
One of my friends bought one just for the hell of it....I wasn't impressed. It DID contain a Joe Borchard signed ball, and that's when I knew it was worth the whole ten dollars.
what do these bags have in it? just an autograph or an autograph and some other little stuff?

chisoxcardsbabe
01-14-2005, 11:34 PM
what do these bags have in it? just an autograph or an autograph and some other little stuff?
Just little odds and ends you'd expect to find in a goodie bag. If I recall, there were also some arbitrary baseball cards, a patch, a lanyard, and last year's yearbook as well as a few small other things.

I suppose this is a good buy for the person who enjoys surprises.

SoxFan76
01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately Dye, for some dumb reason, wouldn't sign any balls on the sweet sport, which is where collectors prefer.
Probably because he signs balls for fans, not for people who immediately go out and sell the ball on eBay to make a profit. Just my guess though.

And thanks for all the info, Baines. It's a lot more informative than how cute Willie and Garland are. :rolleyes:

Just kiddin' girls. :D:

BainesHOF
01-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Probably because he signs balls for fans, not for people who immediately go out and sell the ball on eBay to make a profit.
That might be the reason, but it's a dumb reason if so. Most people don't sell the autographs. They want it on the sweet spot because it not only looks the best there, but it will match the rest in a collection when displayed together.

It doesn't make any sense to me that a multi-millionaire would care about where he signed a ball, especially during an official team fanfest.

Cubbiesuck13
01-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I have never been to fan fest and I don't know that much about it so I was hoping you guys could tell me if there is a Q&A session every day? If so, any good solid qustions today?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-14-2005, 11:55 PM
I have never been to fan fest and I don't know that much about it so I was hoping you guys could tell me if there is a Q&A session every day? If so, any good solid qustions today? The Q&A with KW was Friday last year, but it's on saturday this year. I think they only do one Q&A session with KW for the entire fest.

Brian26
01-14-2005, 11:59 PM
The Q&A with KW was Friday last year, but it's on saturday this year.
There was a Q & A last year with Kenny on Friday, Sat, and Sunday.

This year, they're doing one on Sat (w/ Hawk) and Sun (w/ Rooney).

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-15-2005, 12:00 AM
There was a Q & A last year with Kenny on Friday, Sat, and Sunday.

This year, they're doing one on Sat (w/ Hawk) and Sun (w/ Rooney). Shows what I know. :D: I just remember Friday from last year because of the media attention it got.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Jermaine Dye came off like a total duechebag. I had two blank balls in my hand ready for signing- one by Raines and one by Dye. When the lady on the stage announced that Dye didn't sign the sweet spot, I just had to laugh. I passed him right by when I got up there, as did the 3 or 4 people directly in front of me and behind me. This is when he really started to look like a prick, when he had nothing to do but watch people pass him up.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:04 AM
The lines seemed very long tonight for some reason.

I was able to snag a Raines auto on a baseball (he put #30 on it), a Politte auto on a 2004 Topps Total card, an Ed Farmer auto on an old '81 Fleer card, Baines auto on his '84 Topps card, and Walker's auto on his '83 rookie Topps card. All four of the baseball cards came out really nice with the blue fine-point sharpie. Walker pressed down a little too hard on his auto, IMHO, but it still looks cool.

Lots of choices for who to get tomorrow.

Also picked up 20 old Ventura cards I didn't have, so it was a productive night.

rwcescato
01-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Friday's Soxfest was a good experience for me. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood from the start. The ballroom was packed by the time opening ceremonies got underway. (It was so packed that people were held up at the entrance for, according to a buddy, an unnecessarily long time without being told why even after the ballroom crowd was let out to go downstairs to the main area. Apparently a Sox employee or two copped a bad attitude with the people who didn't know why there were still waiting even after the ballroom emptied.) Inside the ballroom, though, it was nice to have Nancy Faust and her organ warm up the crowd.

The Garage Sale had plenty of stuff, but not many premium items. Another friend of mine bought the only Roberto Alomar bat available, while I bought an Ordonez helmet, a Thomas lockerroom nameplate and a 9-11-03 lineup card of that infamous game where Loaiza got rocked by the Twins that pretty much sealed our fate. I was at that game and figured, as much as it hurt, that the card was a historical representation of the disappointing season. I didn't even notice this until after I bought it, but the backround of the card has a special 9-11 commemorative logo which looks cool. I also bought autographed sharp-looking photos of Shingo and Uribe, along with a 2004 season highlights DVD. A bonus at the Garage Sale was Harold Baines walked in unannounced, sat down at a table and starting signing away. I was able to get two different Baseball Digests with him on the cover signed.

Once I headed downstairs I immediately went to get Hawk to sign a ball at the little Comcast table. I asked him how many games we were going to win this year. After a long, thoughtful pause, he said "88 to 91" and then settled on "91," saying that should be good enough to make the playoffs, and then anything could happen after that. I said I was hoping that we could win maybe a couple more and he said candidly, "You can't expect that with the two guys (Ordonez and Lee) we lost." It was a refreshingly honest answer. Hawk was all fired up. That was good to see.

Then I headed to the Raines/Dye line. I had Raines sign an old White Sox bat of his. He was very friendly with everyone and took his time to give a good signature to everyone. Unfortunately Dye, for some dumb reason, wouldn't sign any balls on the sweet sport, which is where collectors prefer. Since there are no pictures of Dye in a Sox uniform yet, quite a number of people myself included didn't have Dye sign anything. I did talk with him a bit and welcomed him to Chicago and told him we were counting on him to have a big year. He said he feels good, so hopefully that holds true. For whatever reason, Dye didn't seem like he wanted to be there though. He kept looking at his watch and checking to see where the line ended. I hope he shows much more interest in playing.

I got Moose Skowron to sign a ball and asked him what was the farthest home run he had hit. He then recalled his top five, which included three in Yankee Stadium's bleachers (he proudly noted that Mantle hit only two there), a blast at Fenway which was the second-longest hit there, and a roof shot at Comiskey. He concluded by saying he wishes he could play one more season so he'd be a millionaire. He was great to listen to...Then I had Bill Melton sign a photo of him in his powder blue uniform. I told him he should be on TV and of course he agreed.

In between I checked out most of the vendors booths. I picked up an 1983 DVD, a cool Nellie Fox photoball and a couple of Fox pins, and a handful of cool photos.

Instead of making a last run at another autograph line, a friend and I decided to check out the seminar on stealing bases with Podsednik, Harris, Raines and Hawk. It was amazing how Hawk really put it to Harris about his inability to steal. I'm not a big fan of Harris, but I felt a bit bad for him because Hawk was blunt about Harris' troubles, and Hawk really went on and on about them. To Harris' credit, he later said that he knows that the reason Hawk says such things is because he cares. It seemed like a genuine answer too. Podsednik was really well spoken and upbeat. I think Sox fans are going to like him a lot, as long as he reaches base with regularity. The way Raines was talking, it seems like he wants to see Podsednik and Harris steal third more. Later in the seminar during the Q&A with fans, some fans started to talk tough in general about the team. Saturday's Q&A with Kenny Williams and Hawk should be a doozie. I just hope people remember it is Reinsdorf which forces Willliams to have to go cheap and take chances with players. In my opinion, Reinsdorf is the one who needs to be grilled, not Williams or Hawk.

The only negative for me was having to pay $39 for parking at the Hyatt garage for over six hours. That's stealing. The Sox should pressure the Hyatt into providing $20 parking for fans attending the fest. The $39 is a blatant rip-off and I'm sure will leave people with a bad taste in their mouth on what should be an otherwise fun Soxfest experience.

Have fun this weekend if you go. I'll be returning Sunday.
You should have parked at the millenium garage and walked. I park there for $12 for the day and not get bothered by anyone. It can be a long walk but who cares its cheap.
Rich

I_Liked_Manuel
01-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Jermaine Dye came off like a total duechebag. I had two blank balls in my hand ready for signing- one by Raines and one by Dye. When the lady on the stage announced that Dye didn't sign the sweet spot, I just had to laugh. I passed him right by when I got up there, as did the 3 or 4 people directly in front of me and behind me. This is when he really started to look like a prick, when he had nothing to do but watch people pass him up.
come on, the guy's taking time out of his offseason to come to soxfest, so what if he doesnt sign the 'sweet spot'? to be honest, i really didnt know it was that big of a deal unless you were going to sell it.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-15-2005, 12:19 AM
no coverage of soxfest on comcast sports net this year?

Cubbiesuck13
01-15-2005, 12:21 AM
come on, the guy's taking time out of his offseason to come to soxfest, so what if he doesnt sign the 'sweet spot'? to be honest, i really didnt know it was that big of a deal unless you were going to sell it.
I agree. I think it is kinda funny when the players try and get back at the dealers wanting to make a buck. Anyone else laugh when a player will sign and sign and sign for kids then continue to ignore the balding, heavy set man with about twelve things in his hand for the player to sign before the ballgame? Then again I don't really like it when the player has a PR apperence but charges money to sign. I supose it works out in my small world of reasoning.

jabrch
01-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Probably because he signs balls for fans, not for people who immediately go out and sell the ball on eBay to make a profit. Just my guess though.

Lemme guess....there is a huge market out there for Jermaine Dye autographed sweetspot balls....

My a$$...

That's a crappy thing to do. It's not like this is a Frank Thomas - where there might actually be a lot of demand for his autograph. And its not like this is people molesting him at a restaurant.

Sign the ball on the center - make the fans happy. For 10mm over 2 years, I think you can do that Jermaine....right?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Then I headed to the Raines/Dye line. I had Raines sign an old White Sox bat of his. He was very friendly with everyone and took his time to give a good signature to everyone. Unfortunately Dye, for some dumb reason, wouldn't sign any balls on the sweet sport, which is where collectors prefer.
Baines! I was behind you in the Raines/Dye line. I asked your friend about the Maggio helmet, and he told us how much it cost. I remember you had the authentic Raines bat with you too.

Totally agree with you about Dye. I was wavering back and forth if he even deserved his own ball to get signed on the sweet spot, but when he pulled that stunt I walked right past him.

Nice choice on the Raines bat. Where did you pick that up originally?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:25 AM
I've got 15 or 16 signed balls in my den. I like the way they look when the sweet spot is signed. I'll never sell my collection.

And for the record, it's not a free signing. I paid 45 bucks for the weekend pass. So what's the big deal if he signs the sweet spot? It works both ways.

SoxFan76
01-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Lemme guess....there is a huge market out there for Jermaine Dye autographed sweetspot balls....

My a$$...

That's a crappy thing to do. It's not like this is a Frank Thomas - where there might actually be a lot of demand for his autograph. And its not like this is people molesting him at a restaurant.

Sign the ball on the center - make the fans happy. For 10mm over 2 years, I think you can do that Jermaine....right?
Hey now, I wasn't taking a side. I just thought that may of been Dye's mindset.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:30 AM
I agree. I think it is kinda funny when the players try and get back at the dealers wanting to make a buck.
Each table had about 4 security guards standing over the players to make sure they only signed one item each. There weren't any "dealers" there trying to get 12 things signed. There were all fans. I've been going to Soxfest for years and this is the first time someone has ever made an announcement that he won't sign the sweet spot of the baseball. What's the big deal?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 12:32 AM
And I'm pretty sure Mr. Reinsdorf took care of the guy's plane tickets for the weekend. I'm fairly certain he didn't pay his own way to fly into Chicago.

Cubbiesuck13
01-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Each table had about 4 security guards standing over the players to make sure they only signed one item each. There weren't any "dealers" there trying to get 12 things signed. There were all fans. I've been going to Soxfest for years and this is the first time someone has ever made an announcement that he won't sign the sweet spot of the baseball. What's the big deal?

I wasn't acusing you. I was just wondering if I was the only one to ever see a grown man try and wedge his way in a group of kids to get an autograph. Nothing wrong with collecting, but when the grown man has multiple items and it is at the ballpark before a game I find it a little funny when the grown man gets turned down. The story about the refusual to sign a sweet spot simply reminded me of it. It really isn't a big deal at all. And if I paid fourty-five bucks then I would wonder why he couldn't sign were I liked as well.

FightingBillini
01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Calm down Dye bashers. I talked to a worker there who said that Dye has a licensing contract, and he couldn't sign the sweetspot. I guess he can only do it on specific balls that are sold by whoever pays him.

Remember, Michael Jordan was only allowed to sign Wilson basketballs. Sometimes guys sign contracts are are weird like that.

chisox2005
01-15-2005, 12:55 AM
A little off the Dye subject, but was Tony LaRussa there signing?? Just wondering if he was gonna be there for the whole weekend or if he's just going for a day.

FightingBillini
01-15-2005, 01:02 AM
A little off the Dye subject, but was Tony LaRussa there signing?? Just wondering if he was gonna be there for the whole weekend or if he's just going for a day.
LaRussa will only be there on Saturday.

BainesHOF
01-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Baines! I was behind you in the Raines/Dye line. I asked your friend about the Maggio helmet, and he told us how much it cost. I remember you had the authentic Raines bat with you too.

Totally agree with you about Dye. I was wavering back and forth if he even deserved his own ball to get signed on the sweet spot, but when he pulled that stunt I walked right past him.

Nice choice on the Raines bat. Where did you pick that up originally?

Actually I'm the guy who had the Magglio helmet. My friend who had the Raines bat is actually named Brian as well.

I can't remember for sure where I got my Raines bat because it was awhile ago, but I want to say it was from an SCD advertiser out of California who dealt in bats and other equipment, and sold quite a bit of White Sox stuff about 10-12 years ago. He must have had a clubhouse source at the time.

OurBitchinMinny
01-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Why all the bitching about where dye signs the ball? Unless you are kid or its your only source of income, why even bother with autographs? And if you care so much just be glad he signed it. This kind of talk can turn people against a guy before he even sets foot on the field. I dont give a damn if he acts like albert belle, as long as he goes out and performs on the field

FightingBillini
01-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Why all the bitching about where dye signs the ball? Unless you are kid or its your only source of income, why even bother with autographs? And if you care so much just be glad he signed it. This kind of talk can turn people against a guy before he even sets foot on the field. I dont give a damn if he acts like albert belle, as long as he goes out and performs on the field

Exactly. I was waiting in line for Konerko's autograph, so I couldn't get Dye's, though I really wanted to. Don't forget that Dye came to Chicago because he wanted to win. He turned down more money from other teams because he loved this city and he thought this team was good. This guy gives lots and lots of money to charity. Everyone has a rough day, maybe Jermaine was under the weather. I myself had a temp of 101 and was on the second day of a flu. I, however, didnt have to sit and sign 500 autographs. If you guys want to bitch about the guy's licensing deal, then go ahead. Im sorry he wasn't allowed to sign the sweet spot for you. If you want to bitch that he was cranky and checking his watch, you can do that too. I myself will lead a standing ovation when they announce Dye on opening day. I can only hope that he starts a trend of classy, genuine players who turn down more money elsewhere to be a part of this team, this city, and to bring us a world series championship.

havelj
01-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Why the infatuation with autographs and merchandise? I've been to SoxFest many times and it seems like a waste of time to stand in line. Go there for the seminars, talk to the players, talk to the announcers and other fans to get excited. Get inside information on what they think of the season, get the players fired up about being in Chicago, beating the Twins/Cubs etc. If your kid really wants to get an autgraph, cool - do it. But for adults to stand in line and get one and walk away is a waste of time.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 02:54 AM
It's so funny how when a player does something "wrong" at Soxfest or something off the field, everyone points to how much he's making. "We're paying you 10mm for 2 years, you better sign my balls". Stop making yourselves look like kids. Get the autograph and be happy you got one. I can barely get any because I work almost everyday and never get to games early enough.

Some of you sound like Randy Moss when asked about his $10,000 fine, "What's $10,000 to a guy like me? Come on". Well Randy, $10,000 to me is a crapload. And any autograph anywhere on a baseball is good enough for me. Instead of thanking these players for taking time off from what's supposed to be their vacation time, we bitch and moan because we didn't get our autographs on our sweet spots.

:whiner: Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Moving on to a positive note, it sounded like a GREAT day one. Any idea if Sunday is sold out? I'm going to try my best to make it.

BigEdWalsh
01-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Why the infatuation with autographs and merchandise? I've been to SoxFest many times and it seems like a waste of time to stand in line. Go there for the seminars, talk to the players, talk to the announcers and other fans to get excited. Get inside information on what they think of the season, get the players fired up about being in Chicago, beating the Twins/Cubs etc. If your kid really wants to get an autgraph, cool - do it. But for adults to stand in line and get one and walk away is a waste of time.

To each their own.
I know what you mean though. I for one at my age feel weird getting autographs. On Kid's Day's I have taken my son and he always wants me to get in a seperate line, so that he can get more autographs. I always come up with some stupid excuse to get out of it.

Jjav829
01-15-2005, 10:10 AM
It's so funny how when a player does something "wrong" at Soxfest or something off the field, everyone points to how much he's making. "We're paying you 10mm for 2 years, you better sign my balls". Stop making yourselves look like kids. Get the autograph and be happy you got one. I can barely get any because I work almost everyday and never get to games early enough.

Some of you sound like Randy Moss when asked about his $10,000 fine, "What's $10,000 to a guy like me? Come on". Well Randy, $10,000 to me is a crapload. And any autograph anywhere on a baseball is good enough for me. Instead of thanking these players for taking time off from what's supposed to be their vacation time, we bitch and moan because we didn't get our autographs on our sweet spots.

:whiner: Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Moving on to a positive note, it sounded like a GREAT day one. Any idea if Sunday is sold out? I'm going to try my best to make it.

:worship:

Don't worry about where he signs it. Get your autograph and be happy. For every one person out there who likes the ball signed on the sweet spot so it looks good on display, there are two dopes who use their children (or their friend's children, etc.) to get something signed so they can sell it. I don't know if he has a licensing agreement or if he just doesn't like to provide the cretins with autographs that they can sell. Either way, who cares.

gosox41
01-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Whats up guys? It's about 8:45 and everything is still going strong. I am really psyched about Sox baseball, as I always am, but in particular when SoxFest rolls around. The only thing I am disappointed at is the lack of great merchandise. Triple Threat Sports nor Grandstand were there, and no one else was putting names on jerseys like in the past.

WHAT A GREAT TIME!

In noticed that there was a lot fewer booths then last season. Too bad, because that's one of my favorite things to do there.

Bob

santo=dorf
01-15-2005, 10:41 AM
And I'm pretty sure Mr. Reinsdorf took care of the guy's plane tickets for the weekend. I'm fairly certain he didn't pay his own way to fly into Chicago.

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a press release or hearing from one of the PR people that Dye wouldn't be able to make it to Soxfest due to prior commitments. Maybe he cancelled something to come here. :dunno: Either way, I think it's silly to :whiner: about a player not signing a ball in a particular spot. Here's an idea; have him sign the ball where ever he wants, and then use that ball to get other Sox players autographs on it.

flo-B-flo
01-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Jermaine Dye hitting, catching, and throwing a ball is WAY more important to me than signing one. He didn't sign my ball: WAAHH! Honestly how much does an authentic, signed jermaine Dye ball fetch nowadays? And WHO CARES!!:rolleyes: Oh and last night I found an allstar game - on tape - where Carlton Fisk became the oldest player to get a hit in the allstar game. Seeing BASEBALL in the dead of winter renders the whole DYE thing irrelevant. GO-GO SOX!!

Sox Laundry Guy
01-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Would anyone know/have tapes of the games in the ALCS in '83? Thanks. :gulp:

CHIsoxNation
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, I just wanted to say that I had a lot of fun yesterday. It was my first time being able to attend SoxFest and I enjoyed it a lot. I was able to get close to nince autographs and talk with many different people. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Carl Everett looked like he had dropped some pounds over the offseason, that was pretty good to see. I wish I could go to the rest of the weekend but yesterday was still a lot of fun.
My favorite part of day 1 was probably when Ross Gload asked someone not to "kiss his a**" after someone made a comment to him about how he should have the starting role at first base. Out of respect for Paulie, Ross made the coment and still signed this guy's autograph. It was pretty funny though.

Sufferin
01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Damn, who shives a git where a player signs on the ball? I don't even know where the "sweey spot" is, although I'm guessing in teh biggest spot between the laces. I never understood teh infiatuation with autographs myself. I can see collecting ball/other items from hstoric games. But why do you get so excited about a scribble?

My sister's friend once catered an event and got Aparicio's autograph ona napkin becasue she thought I'd ike it (I believe I was in High School at the time). Awfully sweet of her, but I looked at it, put it somewhere and don't know what happened to it. I tmay still be in the bottom drawer of my dresser along with my 83 Sox newspapers, but I really don't have any idea. It's a friggin signature of someone who happens to play asport well, get over yourself and get some perspective on life!:whiner:

BTW, If you're 10 I apologize, go ahead get exicted then.:D:

JGarlandrules20
01-15-2005, 01:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/sully559/paulie.jpg
Paulie and I :smile:

Vestigio
01-15-2005, 03:07 PM
For my first Soxfest I had a pretty good time. My dad, brother and I first went to the Garage Sale (I knew it would have been a bad idea, because we had to wait about 20 minutes before we actually got inside, and missed all of the 5:30 signings) and I got a ST Sox jersey. When I got downstairs, my dad, brother, and I decided to got to stage 4 to get Baines and Walker's auto. After about a 50 minute wait, I got a baseball signed, my bro got his Sox jersey signed, and my dad asked Baines to sign his Soxfest program. After we got our autographs, we checked out the booths for a few hats, too bad none came in my size. About an hour of looking around, we were going to leave, but before we left, I went to get 3 packs of cards. My first two pack had absolutely nothing, but in the third I pulled a Wood/Prior double jersey card.

I also saw two Hangar and Steff. I saw Steff while I was waiting in line at the Garage sale. When I was about to leave I noticed Hangar asking a question to JR at the ESPN1000 radio booth, too bad I didnt hear his entire question.

The only thing that annoyed me was that now this season you have to pay extra for premium games like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers games.

mike squires
01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Would anyone know/have tapes of the games in the ALCS in '83? Thanks. :gulp:

Lipman has Game one. PM him I'm sure he'd work something out for you. I recommend the documentary. It has a lot of the ALCS highlights game by ame inluding Burns' gutsy peformance. Drysdale has a lot of the calls.

buehrle4cy05
01-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Just got back from SoxFest. Got a ball signed by Ben Davis, glove signed by Neal Cotts, and a ball signed by Paul Konerko, Aaron Rowand, and Bo Jackson. I was about 100 back in line to get Rowand's auto when they announced that Jackson had showed up and would give autographs....pretty nice deal.

Realist
01-15-2005, 03:56 PM

Thank God it's not just me. I was planning on going to my first Sox Fest today, but it sounds like a bunch of lines of people getting autographs and pictures taken. That's just not my scene at all. I think I'm just gonna order a pizza and watch a movie with my cat.

SoxFan76
01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Thank God it's not just me. I was planning on going to my first Sox Fest today, but it sounds like a bunch of lines of people getting autographs and pictures taken. That's just not my scene at all. I think I'm just gonna order a pizza and watch a movie with my cat.

Because everyone is different. Having said that, I'm with you. :D:

.....Except it would be with my dog....:wink:

santo=dorf
01-15-2005, 04:20 PM
When I was about to leave I noticed Hangar asking a question to JR at the ESPN1000 radio booth, too bad I didnt hear his entire question.

Don't worry, it was stupid, and angered JR.

buehrle4cy05
01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Was I the only one here who got Bo Jackson's auto?

Joosh
01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Was I the only one here who got Bo Jackson's auto?

No, I also got his. As soon as I heard that he was here and going to sign auto's for our line, I threw money at my best friend and said if he brought me back a Bo Jackson Card, he could keep whatever change he got from it and use it to buy whatever. Needless to say, he came back about 10 mins later with the card, and I got it signed.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Lipman has Game one. PM him I'm sure he'd work something out for you. I recommend the documentary. It has a lot of the ALCS highlights game by ame inluding Burns' gutsy peformance. Drysdale has a lot of the calls.

I noticed they had the '83 documentary on DVD now. I don't remember that from last year....only remember the VHS. Smart idea on their part if they did make the DVD's.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:22 PM
No, I also got his. As soon as I heard that he was here and going to sign auto's for our line, I threw money at my best friend and said if he brought me back a Bo Jackson Card, he could keep whatever change he got from it and use it to buy whatever. Needless to say, he came back about 10 mins later with the card, and I got it signed.

You guys totally lucked out. I had no idea Bo was going to show up. Any chance he'll be there tomorrow?

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't worry, it was stupid, and angered JR.

Wow. What did he ask specifically? I saw JR standing by the ESPN table.

Joosh
01-15-2005, 08:31 PM
You guys totally lucked out. I had no idea Bo was going to show up. Any chance he'll be there tomorrow?

No, they said over the PA that he would only be there for that one autograph signing. Sorry.

Brian26
01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I've been to SoxFest many times and it seems like a waste of time to stand in line. Go there for the seminars, talk to the players, talk to the announcers and other fans to get excited. Get inside information on what they think of the season, get the players fired up about being in Chicago, beating the Twins/Cubs etc. If your kid really wants to get an autgraph, cool - do it. But for adults to stand in line and get one and walk away is a waste of time.

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense, as the best way to talk to the players is to actually stand in line and get an autograph. There's no other way to even have 10 seconds of time with guys like Konerko, Everett or Raines.

As far as standing in line, I had a great time on Friday night and Saturday morning talking to people in line next to me. It's an awesome sense of camaraderie that's hard to even explain. To have that many people with a common interest as unique as this, from all different backgrounds and walks of life, is an amazing thing. It's really a giant pep rally that brings people together.

The autograph, to me, is a memento of the experience. It's something to look at up on the shelf and remember the event and the upcoming season by. And how often do you get to say good luck and a few kind words to a player while he signs something for you? I'm sure that's the same for 99% of the other people too. I don't think it's a waste of time at all.

StillMissOzzie
01-15-2005, 11:18 PM
The autograph, to me, is a memento of the experience. It's something to look at up on the shelf and remember the event and the upcoming season by. And how often do you get to say good luck and a few kind words to a player while he signs something for you? I'm sure that's the same for 99% of the other people too. I don't think it's a waste of time at all.

That's pretty much how I feel. I don't buy autographs (eg, through the mail/ eBay, etc.), I like to GET autographs, although sometimes I do shell out $ to get them. That's the major draw for me. That said, Friday night I got Podzilla (on his Kane Count Cougar minor league card) and Crede and Cotts on rookie cards and Ben Davis on a ?? card and Jamie Burke signed the 2004 program that came in my grab bag. Later on, in the bar, Melton autographed a card too.

I also won a Maggs bobblehead from Hal on the WCSF pencil pull!

SMO
:gulp:

fquaye149
01-16-2005, 04:58 AM
I went to the Base Stealing 101 seminar with Willie, Pods, Rock, and Hawk. .

Rock: I will be going to school to teach.

Willie: Oh? I will be going to school to LEARN.

(apologies to Adam Sandler)

Hangar18
01-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Wow. What did he ask specifically? I saw JR standing by the ESPN table.

Hangar told Uncle Jerry that some in the SOX Fanbase are interpreting the
moves they made as cost-cutting, and he got mad and said the SOX still
have a higher payroll than Cleveland and Minnesota(to which someone in the crowd muttered "what about therest of the league") He said he thinks this team will go all the way

Unregistered
01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
have a higher payroll than Cleveland and Minnesota(to which someone in the crowd muttered "what about therest of the league") He said he thinks this team will go all the way PLEASE tell me that when you talked to JR you referred to yourself in the 3rd person... :D:

santo=dorf
01-16-2005, 01:13 PM
have a higher payroll than Cleveland and Minnesota(to which someone in the crowd muttered "what about therest of the league") He said he thinks this team will go all the way

You didn't say "some," you said "the majority of Sox fans" to which Dickerson and Reinsdorf interrupted you by saying "I think most Sox fans don't see this as a cost-cutting move."

zach074
01-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Now JR has a good reason to cut payroll, his new goal in life is to just piss you off Hangar.

Flight #24
01-16-2005, 01:54 PM
You didn't say "some," you said "the majority of Sox fans" to which Dickerson and Reinsdorf interrupted you by saying "I think most Sox fans don't see this as a cost-cutting move."

How anyone defines Cost(2005) > Cost(2004) as cost cutting is still beyond me.

Maybe that's the "new math"? (Copyright Lip, 2004)

whitesoxwilkes
01-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Quick funny story from FRiday night:

Politte, Garland and AJ did a seminar on pitching and signed for a bit afterwards. One fan walked up to Politte with a great 8x10 of him pitching and Politte was like "where did you get that? do they have more?" and even offered to buy it from him when he found out it was the only one the vendor downstairs had. Cliff's a really candid and funny guy.

If anyone was at that seminar, I was the questioner who told Farmer to put some damned socks on.

:bandance:

ewokpelts
01-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Now JR has a good reason to cut payroll, his new goal in life is to just piss you off Hangar.
:reinsy
It's the icing on my money cake!

Cubbiesuck13
01-17-2005, 12:18 AM

Not only do I have a favorite sox player, I now have a favorite sox FAN. I think that was a great question and the fact the JR got upset is icing on my cake.

longshot7
01-17-2005, 12:33 AM

Give 'em hell, Henry!!

TommyJohn
01-17-2005, 01:48 AM
He said he thinks this team will go all the way

WOW! Does this mean that Boston, New York and Minnesota are dropping out
of the league? What an ass.

JGarlandrules20
01-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Quick funny story from FRiday night:

Politte, Garland and AJ did a seminar on pitching and signed for a bit afterwards. One fan walked up to Politte with a great 8x10 of him pitching and Politte was like "where did you get that? do they have more?" and even offered to buy it from him when he found out it was the only one the vendor downstairs had. Cliff's a really candid and funny guy.

Lol. Cliff is so cool.