PDA

View Full Version : Ticketmaster + Sox + Opening Day = Dirty Trick

BeerHandle
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, I could not get to the Cell this morning to buy tickets because a customer meeting went longer then expected. So instead, I tried to purchase opening day tickets online. I had no trouble getting online to buy tickets at exactly 10 am; however, for the first 15 minutes when I entered "Best Available" all that came back was the 500 level. I found this very hard to believe so I kept cancelling the order and starting over. Well, after 15 minutes of disappointment, I gave in and bought tickets upstairs. I then checked again at 10:45 am and found a lot of great seats (lower bowl) available online. I was so ticked off. I think the Sox purposely have TicketMaster sell upstairs seats. There is no way the system should have been coming back saying "Best Available" was in the 500 level at 10:00 to 10:15 am. As a matter of fact I just checked again and I can get 2 tickets together in the reserved bleachers!

TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE! Did anyone else experience this? Next year, I'm going to the cell!
:angry:

MUsoxfan
01-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Not to mention having to pay those ridiculous Ticketmaster surcharges. The trip to the box office is worth it on any given day rather than paying ticketmaster for nothing.

jabrch
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, I could not get to the Cell this morning to buy tickets because a customer meeting went longer then expected. So instead, I tried to purchase opening day tickets online. I had no trouble getting online to buy tickets at exactly 10 am; however, for the first 15 minutes when I entered "Best Available" all that came back was the 500 level. I found this very hard to believe so I kept cancelling the order and starting over. Well, after 15 minutes of disappointment, I gave in and bought tickets upstairs. I then checked again at 10:45 am and found a lot of great seats (lower bowl) available online. I was so ticked off. I think the Sox purposely have TicketMaster sell upstairs seats. There is no way the system should have been coming back saying "Best Available" was in the 500 level at 10:00 to 10:15 am. As a matter of fact I just checked again and I can get 2 tickets together in the reserved bleachers!

TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE! Did anyone else experience this? Next year, I'm going to the cell!
Ticketmaster has never had the same inventory as the box office has. The best available tickets are available to those who come to the park. Fair or not...that's how it has always been. You don't even have to be there at 7AM and wait in line - get there at 9 or 10 - you'd likely have better and more options.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-14-2005, 02:32 PM

:angry:Dude, RELAX. Be calm. Breathe in, breathe out. Order the better tickets and cancel the order for the Upper Deck tickets. I got some great seats at 10:05 and kept finding very nice seats until about 11:30.

DaleJRFan
01-14-2005, 02:34 PM

I got really good seats for 4/7 on ticketmaster without any problems...

spiffie
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
I logged in at 10AM and got a pair in the lower bowl, first base side, row 4.

As for the ticket availability, a lot of times tickets open up later on because either people A) log in, request tickets, get them held for a couple minutes, and then don't order them or B) People make the order, then for some reason the purchase is denied so the tickets come back into circulation. When you factor in people who likely were jamming the system with multiple computers I'm sure a lot of tickets were in that limbo state of being held but unordered throughout the early part of the morning.

joe250
01-14-2005, 02:38 PM
TOTAL BUSH LEAGUE! Did anyone else experience this? Next year, I'm going to the cell! :angry:
Yep, two years in a row now. Last year I called up Ticketmaster right when tix went on sale and was told "best available" was in upper deck. This year I tried online - same result. I don't want to end up with two pairs of tix, so I'm not going to order again, even though much better seats are now "magically" available. I'm pretty sure they purposely screwed us over.

anewman35
01-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure they purposely screwed us over.
What possible reason could they have for this? It's opening day, it's pretty much going to sell out no matter what. Why would the want to screw people over?

BeerHandle
01-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Yep, two years in a row now. Last year I called up Ticketmaster right when tix went on sale and was told "best available" was in upper deck. This year I tried online - same result. I don't want to end up with two pairs of tix, so I'm not going to order again, even though much better seats are now "magically" available. I'm pretty sure they purposely screwed us over.
I ended up buying two sets of 6. My first set is upstairs and my second is in the bleachers. I'm hoping to move one of the sets for face value a week before the game.

joe250
01-14-2005, 02:52 PM
What possible reason could they have for this? It's opening day, it's pretty much going to sell out no matter what. Why would the want to screw people over?
Perhaps in order to ensure that the upper deck fills up they offer those seats as "best available" right away.

I'm just a little bummed about it. Not trying to start a conspiracy theory or anything.

thepaulbowski
01-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Got lower deck online no problem at 10:00.

BeerHandle
01-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Got lower deck online no problem at 10:00.
I wish I had your luck. Next year to the Cell I go.

FoulkeFan
01-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I had EXACTLY this same thing happen to me. At 10:20, I started trying, first for 8 tix, then 4 and then 2. All of them came back with upper deck only left. So I caved and bought 8 upper deck seats (sec 512 no less UGH). Then I tried about 10 mins later and there were bleachers available! I bought 4 bleacher seats because I thought I was so lucky to have gotten lowers. Now I check again at 2:00pm and there are still bleachers left. This sucks because now I have more seats than I need. I cannot understand this at all.

Sad
01-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I was online as soon as they went onsale and searched Sat April 30 vs. Detroit for 2 tix- lower box and it said Sec 154 was best available
???

FEH :mad:
that's really hard to believe... i wonder if some aren't blocked off for SOX-fest...

MUsoxfan
01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I believe that the box office at the Cell had the rights to all of the best tickets for a period of time. So they probably had the whole lower deck box and a few of the bleacher front rows reserved for potential buyers at the park. The unsold tickets will probably be released soon. But they probably felt it was fair to give the best tickets to those who waited at the park.

joe250
01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
I believe that the box office at the Cell had the rights to all of the best tickets for a period of time.
That makes sense - and is fair. I'll be waiting in line next year then.

voodoochile
01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Never ever ever specify best available when order from ticketmaster.

Always specify your seating area and wait for it to try and find something for you.

Best available is not only done by availability, but by price, so you will get section 512 row 15 before getting section 532 row 16 because of how they define the seats (the first are UD box which simply have to be better than UD reserved because they cost more, right?)

If forced into the UD when you don't want to be there, try for reserved, not box. You will get better seats everytime.

At least that was how it was before they relabeled the park last year. I haven't bought seats in 2003, so it may have changed.

Still, don't let the computer make all of the decisions for you and you will find you get better seats regularly.

Best available = please take my money and screw me big time.

BeerHandle
01-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Never ever ever specify best available when order from ticketmaster.

Always specify your seating area and wait for it to try and find something for you.

Best available is not only done by availability, but by price, so you will get section 512 row 15 before getting section 532 row 16 because of how they define the seats (the first are UD box which simply have to be better than UD reserved because they cost more, right?)

If forced into the UD when you don't want to be there, try for reserved, not box. You will get better seats everytime.

At least that was how it was before they relabeled the park last year. I haven't bought seats in 2003, so it may have changed.

Still, don't let the computer make all of the decisions for you and you will find you get better seats regularly.

Best available = please take my money and screw me big time.
I also tried specific lower level seats and it said that there weren't any available. Now., I hard that find to believe because I just found two in the lower bowl. This TickerMaster is a bunch of BS!

joe250
01-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I tried that several times with different areas all over the lower deck and it always came back with nothing available.

They must not release some sections till later, I guess.

JKryl
01-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Sell out? Dude, you haven't been to too many opening days at Sox Park. :smile:

JKryl
01-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I tried that several times with different areas all over the lower deck and it always came back with nothing available.

They must not release some sections till later, I guess.
Exactly, we got on line at 10, and got decent lower deck seats right away by specifying specific seats.