PDA

View Full Version : CONSPIRACY: Sox salary dump!

Hangar18
01-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Was listening to the am670 News this morning, and they played a Soundbyte
from a White Sox Spokesperson. She said White Sox fans are the most
passionate and vocal, and do follow their team with a Passion, and she said
they were OK with Fans getting vocal and "disaggreeing" with Kenny and
SOX Mgmt. Shows that SOX fans really do care and arent afraid to
Display their Feelings. I Laughed hard in the car, but did take it 2 ways.

1. The SOX know they have very hard-core and passionate fans and it made
me feel VERY GOOD knowing the SOX are acknowledging us.
2. The SOX are Expecting to hear some Backlash for their Salary Dumping :o:

DaveIsHere
01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Was listening to the am670 News this morning, and they played a Soundbyte
from a White Sox Spokesperson. She said White Sox fans are the most
passionate and vocal, and do follow their team with a Passion, and she said
they were OK with Fans getting vocal and "disaggreeing" with Kenny and
SOX Mgmt. Shows that SOX fans really do care and arent afraid to
Display their Feelings. I Laughed hard in the car, but did take it 2 ways.

1. The SOX know they have very hard-core and passionate fans and it made
me feel VERY GOOD knowing the SOX are acknowledging us.
2. The SOX are Expecting to hear some Backlash for their Salary Dumping :o:
What salary dumping, are you on crack, they rebuilt the team

Ol' No. 2
01-14-2005, 10:05 AM
What salary dumping, are you on crack, they rebuilt the teamIn Hangarland, anything less than a 100% increase in payroll counts as a salary dump.:D:

DaveIsHere
01-14-2005, 10:06 AM
In Hangarland, anything less than a 100% increase in payroll counts as a salary dump.:D:
Gotcha!!:rolleyes:

Unregistered
01-14-2005, 10:06 AM
In Hangarland, anything less than a 100% increase in payroll counts as a salary dump.:D: Hangar and Lip are slowly becoming the same poster... :o:

whitesoxwilkes
01-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Hangar and Lip are slowly becoming the same poster... :o: Hangar, Lip and Ewokpelts.

In spite of all Lip's negativity, at least he uses proper grammar.

ewokpelts
01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Hangar, Lip and Ewokpelts.

In spite of all Lip's negativity, at least he uses proper grammar.hukid ohn fonicks werkid fir mi
Gene

Unregistered
01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Hangar, Lip and Ewokpelts.

In spite of all Lip's negativity, at least he uses proper grammar.Im SURE I have NO IDEA
what your
TALKING ABOUT.

:D:

Dan H
01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
The White Sox didn't salary dump but they chose to acquire cheaper players who are still questions to a degree, like Jermaine Dye and his recent injuries. I am optimistic for this year but that comes with a heavy dose of caution.

ewokpelts
01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
The White Sox didn't salary dump but they chose to acquire cheaper players who are still questions to a degree, like Jermaine Dye and his recent injuries. I am optimistic for this year but that comes with a heavy dose of caution.More or less how I feel. I still think Kenny can do better.
Gene

soxrme
01-14-2005, 10:47 AM
The White Sox didn't salary dump but they chose to acquire cheaper players who are still questions to a degree, like Jermaine Dye and his recent injuries. I am optimistic for this year but that comes with a heavy dose of caution.
We lost Maggs plus traded a .305 hitter for .244 hitter and an outfielder who has been hurt for two years. Caution would be an understatement. You cannot steal first base. Where is our closer? :redneck

Hangar18
01-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I think thats what the SOX Spokeswoman was alluding to when she mentioned
the "passion" of Sox Fans and the "Disagreements" the Fans have with Mgmt.
The SOX DONT want the "Disagreements" to make news tomorrow morning.
I still love that they acknowledged us, and that theyre EXPECTING FANS
to not be too Happy about this offseason.

In my book, they got rid of 2 very high salaries and replaced with cheaper players. Thats not so bad, but there are too many "IFS" with this roster.

If Pods can Hit 300 again and Steal Bases ...
If Contreras Can Win 15 Games,
If Vizcaino can Hold the Bullpen down ...
If El Duque Can Keep Winning,
If Dye can Regain his form and hit 300 and 30HR's

IF all those things can happen, this is going to be a GOOD Season.
If only SOME of those things happens ...... gonna be a loooooooong year

Flight #24
01-14-2005, 11:05 AM
We lost Maggs plus traded a .305 hitter for .244 hitter and an outfielder who has been hurt for two years. Caution would be an understatement. You cannot steal first base. Where is our closer? :redneck
Yeah, if only we had a guy who could save 19 and only blow 1, 0.98WHIP, .182BAA, 2.31ERA while allowing 3/25 IR to score. And that accomplished while not being the primary closer until 1/3-1/2waly through the season.

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/7255.jpg

"Hey wait - that's me!"

jabrch
01-14-2005, 11:12 AM
This might be the dumbest thread of the offseason.

soltrain21
01-14-2005, 11:12 AM
The Lee trade was not Lee/Scotty Po straight up. We got a lot more in return for Carlos, and you shouldn't be blind to that fact.

And doesn't every lineup have issues?

What if Nomar continues to be hurt?
What if last year was a fluke for Pavano?
Will Jaret Wright be good for the Yankees?
Will Sheffield's shoulder hold up?
What will happen with Jason Giambi?

Baby Fisk
01-14-2005, 11:13 AM
there are too many "IFS" with this roster.

If Pods can Hit 300 again and Steal Bases ...
If Contreras Can Win 15 Games,
If Vizcaino can Hold the Bullpen down ...
If El Duque Can Keep Winning,
If Dye can Regain his form and hit 300 and 30HR's

IF all those things can happen, this is going to be a GOOD Season.
If only SOME of those things happens ...... gonna be a loooooooong yearEvery team starts the season with lots of "ifs". The Yankees have "ifs", the Cubs have "ifs", the world champions have "ifs."

This ominous dread is not exclusive to the Chicago White Sox.

LVSoxFan
01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Um, what? "Where is our closer?"

The only reason I don't buy into this stuff about trading El Caballo and Maggs being a dismantling is--the Sox were crushing homers last year (didn't they lead the league?) and that was fun to watch, but it was also agony when, as Aaron Rowand pointed out, the next game they'd score... one run.

Me personally I'd rather see a team comprised of guys who were selected to fill specific roles than the mix-and-match team we've had of grinders and marquee players that hasn't worked out.

Make no mistake, we're mirroring the Twins approach this year because the other way hasn't worked out. Granted, with JR's cheap ass we'll never spend as much as the Yankees or even the Cubs--but if this new "small ball" or "Ozzie ball" or "Kenny ball" approach doesn't work out this season or next, I think it's fair to say we're doomed until we get a new owner.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves--'05 hasn't even begun yet.

Palehose13
01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Um, what? "Where is our closer?"

The only reason I don't buy into this stuff about trading El Caballo and Maggs being a dismantling is--the Sox were crushing homers last year (didn't they lead the league?) and that was fun to watch, but it was also agony when, as Aaron Rowand pointed out, the next game they'd score... one run.

Me personally I'd rather see a team comprised of guys who were selected to fill specific roles than the mix-and-match team we've had of grinders and marquee players that hasn't worked out.

Make no mistake, we're mirroring the Twins approach this year because the other way hasn't worked out. Granted, with JR's cheap ass we'll never spend as much as the Yankees or even the Cubs--but if this new "small ball" or "Ozzie ball" or "Kenny ball" approach doesn't work out this season or next, I think it's fair to say we're doomed until we get a new owner.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves--'05 hasn't even begun yet. :thumbsup:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-14-2005, 11:41 AM
More or less how I feel. I still think Kenny can do better.
GeneI agree... with a bigger payroll. I honestly believe that the current 2005 White Sox roster is the best team a $70 million payroll can buy.

mcfish
01-14-2005, 11:47 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2369&stc=1

"I'll take that 'salary dump.' Thanks!"

:everett:
"Hey, let me get some of that!"

voodoochile
01-14-2005, 11:49 AM
In my book, they got rid of 2 very high salaries and replaced with cheaper players. Thats not so bad, but there are too many "IFS" with this roster.

Actually, only one. Maggs was no longer the same player nor worth the high salary he had been offered last season.

So, they traded Lee only and they did manage to use that money to acquire another starting pitcher, as solid offensive player who should do well in the Cell, and upgraded bullpen and at worst a fourth OF who can steal bases and act as a defensive substitute late in games and at best is a premier leadoff hitter who will give other teams fits when he is on base 4 times out of 10 this season.

They didn't get rid of Maggs, he left and good riddance.

Do want him on the team at $11.2M next year? (minimum salary)

Flight #24
01-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Actually, only one. Maggs was no longer the same player nor worth the high salary he had been offered last season.

So, they traded Lee only and they did manage to use that money to acquire another starting pitcher, as solid offensive player who should do well in the Cell, and upgraded bullpen and at worst a fourth OF who can steal bases and act as a defensive substitute late in games and at best is a premier leadoff hitter who will give other teams fits when he is on base 4 times out of 10 this season.

They didn't get rid of Maggs, he left and good riddance.

Do want him on the team at $11.2M next year? (minimum salary)
Well put VC. I'd ask anyone against the trade: Would you rather have the combo of Lee+Davis or Pods+AJP? Offensively, it's probably not that far off of being an even swap. Now add in El Duque over Grilli and Vizcaino over Adkins/Cotts and it's a no-brainer. And that's without even thinking about the speed/balance provided to the O via the trade.

jabrch
01-14-2005, 11:54 AM
VC - add into that a good hitting catcher (or was that the "solid offensive player" you talked about?) and this really was a good offseason.

I agree with you 100% on Magglio. His own greed and selfishness is what ran him out of town. And it is what is going to end up costing him a lot of money. Had he just been honest with this franchise in the beginning, and said there was no way he'd have signed for anything less than $_____, we would have moved him last offseason somewhere - and he'd have probably gotten the deal he wanted. But he kept feeding that BS line that he wants to stay with the Sox, when he really had no interest in staying with us given our known salary constraints.

Turning down the offers we made to him, regardless of how much deferred money there might have been is going to end up costing him a lot of money. While I wish him health and happiness, I'm not to broken up about seeing a greedy athlete forced to regret his greed.

jabrch
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
No matter what happens - some people will always find something to complain about. Sox fans are almost cartoonish sometimes in how they complain about things.

Baby Fisk
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
No matter what happens - some people will always find something to complain about. Sox fans are almost cartoonish sometimes in how they complain about things.I just envisioned a beautiful tag: get a picture of some crying infants -- really red-faced and screaming their heads off -- and put some Sox logos or caps on them. You could throw that tag out everytime someone went on a childish rant about something ridiculous or untrue. I wish I had photoshop capability... :(:

Hangar18
01-14-2005, 12:18 PM
This might be the dumbest thread of the offseason.
the point of the thread was ..........The SOX acknowledge Fans are
Gonna be Mad tonite at them

Hangar18
01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
I agree with you 100% on Magglio. His own greed and selfishness is what ran him out of town. And it is what is going to end up costing him a lot of money.
This I agree on also more and more. It hurts because Maggs was
one of my favorite players, and to have him do this to us ....... hurts. :angry:

voodoochile
01-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Gonna be Mad tonite at them They are?

Maybe the Sox (or you) should read me (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43840)... or at least look at the poll results...:rolleyes:

munchman33
01-14-2005, 01:53 PM
This was probably the greatest offseason we've had in over twenty years. What are you people on.

Flight #24
01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
This was probably the greatest offseason we've had in over twenty years. What are you people on.
Not sure I'd go there. I remember an offseason where we added Albert Belle & Jaime Navarro, who were both among the top available players at the time.

Hindsight would tell you that was one of the worst offseasons, but at the time, it certainly looked like the big moves were being made. Here's hoping that this one, probably the best since then, ends up better than that one did!

ja1022
01-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Gonna be Mad tonite at themThis was probably the greatest offseason we've had in over twenty years. What are you people on.
There you have it; both ends of the spectrum.

faneidde
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
This was probably the greatest offseason we've had in over twenty years. What are you people on. Obviously not the same stuff you are taking. Let's see, the Sox lost arguably their two best players and you think it was the best offseason in a while? It was a very questionable offseason. It could be very good, or it could be very bad. I'm going to wait to call it the best ever.

CubKilla
01-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Let's see, the Sox lost arguably their two best players and you think it was the best offseason in a while?
Munch is undoubtedly a FOJR. Retooled the team while not significantly increasing payroll equals success for both himself and JR.

The good thing about all this is Sox fans have no clue how THIS team will perform. With the '03-'04 teams, you knew you were getting a team that would crush the ball and humiliate teams for a stretch then follow that same stretch with unbearable bouts of CorpseBall. '05 is gonna be a question mark until at least mid-June/July.

pearso66
01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Obviously not the same stuff you are taking. Let's see, the Sox lost arguably their two best players and you think it was the best offseason in a while? It was a very questionable offseason. It could be very good, or it could be very bad. I'm going to wait to call it the best ever.
The problem is if we held onto those 2 players, we likely dont get another pitcher, catcher or bullpen help, plus we possibly dont get 1 of those players, as no one knows how Maggs will perform. What if he can only DH from here on out? And w/o trading Lee as i said before, we dont get El Duque or AJ. I'll take my chances with the team gaining all we got, than 2 guys whom keep us at corpseball every other game

santo=dorf
01-15-2005, 12:33 AM
OK Hangar, were you the one who asked Reinsdorf about how the majority of Sox fans viewed these trades as a cost cutting measure? He didn't seemed too pleased with that comment and for those of you who missed it, he responded with how that money was spent, this year's payroll is higher than last year's, and how the Sox have the largest payroll in the AL Central.

Hangar18
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM
OK Hangar, were you the one who asked Reinsdorf about how the majority of Sox fans viewed these trades as a cost cutting measure? He didn't seemed too pleased with that comment and for those of you who missed it, he responded with how that money was spent, this year's payroll is higher than last year's, and how the Sox have the largest payroll in the AL Central.

YES. He seemed to dodge the question .......