PDA

View Full Version : Baseball background

veeter
01-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm curious about the playing careers of WSI guys. Little league, High School, College...where and when did you play? I finished my career at St. Edward's Univ. in Austin,TX in 1989. (This could also be the "we're happy for ya" thread.)But I want nothing but bragging about yourselves.

jake27
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
played on one of them traveling teams in little league (we were 1 game away from going to puerto rico one year). played a few years at lake zurich hs. had to have 2 shoulder sugeries which screwed me over my last 2 years of high school ball. now im trying to find an amateur league for the summer to join now that my shoulder is all good... anyone know of any?

SoxFan76
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Did the whole little league thing, and played freshman ball in high school.

Unfortunately, I got injured freshman year, and the coach had some sort of grudge against me so I did not make the team sophomore year. I didn't try out jr. year, I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. So I go out sr. year only for the coach to tell me I have no chance to make the team. I wasn't bad by any means. Our high school had a lot of politics regarding baseball. Basically it was determined if you made the team or not in little league. Depends who your parents are, etc. On the other hand, I wasn't the best player by any means, and I was slow. I could play 3rd, but mostly 1st base. I was a bit 1-dimensional. Think Paulie Konerko, but less homers more doubles. Ok, I'm done :whiner: now. :redneck

I played summer ball all 4 years of high school.

I hope to be a baseball coach in the future when I hopefully am teaching at a high school. However, it may be tough considering I have no experience beyond high school baseball. But, assuming I have kids, I most definitely will be coaching my son/daughter if they choose to play baseball/softball.

soxfan26
01-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I was a grill cook for the Prince William Cannons during the Yankee years, I left for the Army the year they became a Sox affiliate. No kidding. :bandance:

Dadawg_77
01-13-2005, 06:20 PM
LL, broke my nose taking a baseball in face during an all star game, never was the same at the plate again. I bailed out at anything close.

ode to veeck
01-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey West, Shabbona Park dude ...

Daver
01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Four year varsity player in HS, was invited to tryouts for my college team, but I flunked out after one semster instead.

My career .191 BA convinced me not to bother trying to pursue it further.

DaveIsHere
01-13-2005, 06:48 PM
PLyed T-ball, Little leadue, quit for a couple years and played Feshman and Sophmore year in High School,I actually won quite a few games for our team. I either Struck out, got hit with the ball, or hit for extra bases, and I was quick. I quit to get a job Junior year like a dumbass, but that worked out 'cause I met my wife at the job. I was invited to try out in college, but was too busy, I still rememeber my last at-bat, I hit the 360 sign in our home field and got an easy triple(the field was huge like 410' to center, weird shape)

ND_Sox_Fan
01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I played two years at a community college after high school. I could not go any further as my best position was catcher, and after three knee surgerys, I can no longer squat. Injuries were caused from football and baseball.

I have been an assistant varsity coach (at my high school) over the last two years, and head coached 5 different summer teams since high school.

pearso66
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
LL, broke my nose taking a baseball in face during an all star game, never was the same at the plate again. I bailed out at anything close.
I also broke my nose playing baseball, but it was before the game during warmups, the coach hit a flyball, and one of the other kids jumped in front of me to catch it, unfortunatly he didnt, and right into my nose. I managed to get the bleeding under control in time to play the game, that was fun.

As how far I got, I played Little league from 3rd grade until 8th, took Freshman year off then played my soph and junior years in HS, quit after that because I hated the coach. I wasn't bad by any means, but I did blow my chance of starting in HS because I didn't work my new glove in enough my soph year, and after taking a year off was a little rusty, and made a couple of errors in one game. After that I rarely played. I played all 3 OF positions, plus dabbled a little at 2nd and 3rd. Was better in the OF though. And much better at D than O.

ChiSoxRowand
01-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Played little league for a while and all 4 years at Rockford East high school (2 varsity). Was a pitcher, Ist baseman, and outfielder.

Whitesox029
01-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I have played in park district leagues every summer since I was 5 years old, including numerous travel teams, and that will continue this summer. I've been royally screwed by the politics of high school baseball two years in a row. Then again, I suppose there's never been anyone cut from a h.s. baseball team who agreed with the decision, but the reason it gets under my skin is that sophomore year I participated in a physical training program run by the coaches at my school 6 long months from September to the beginning of March 3-4 days a week for 1-3 hours only to get disappointed again. It made me cynical, so this year I blew off the training and I'm going to consider tryouts nothing but a warm-up for the summer season.

whitesoxwilkes
01-13-2005, 09:44 PM
3 years varsity in high school, 2 years division I college ball. Pitched and played first and second.

I was a decent finesse pitcher and a very slappy but consistent hitter.

:bandance:

Daver
01-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Rub some dirt on it and get back in there.

I got knocked out cold from a bat that slipped out of the hand of a hitter, caught me right in the side of the head, I never left the game after I came to, I went to the hospital after the game was over at the coaches insistence, and started the next day.

Palehose13
01-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, I couldn't play baseball at the time, but I will tell you of my fastpitch softball career.

LaPorte High School softball and then 3 years (left b/c of transfer) of Div 2 NCAA softball at St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, IN. I played 2B(frosh and soph) and SS (junior). I hit second (excellent contact hitter), and wish I could spend some time with a few Sox players about bunting....they sure need it and I am one hell of a bunter. Hit and runs were also put on when I was at the dish. Never hit one over the fence (but my roomate always did), but had a good average and excellent OBP. Only struck out 3 times in 3 years and of course...I wore #13. :wink:

Irishsoxfan
01-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Not a career as such as nobody played baseball here when I was a kid. I came to the game late in life but now I'm player/manager of the Dublin Black Sox. Best time ever.

fquaye149
01-14-2005, 02:47 AM
This should be called the "Excuses thread."

I played H.S. ball all four years, had a good glove at first base (useless, I know) and a pretty quick bat...but if there was a way to get injured I found it. Sophomore year, I ran into the third baseman on a pop fly (or rather he ran into me) and got a serious concussion. Junior year I got a stress fracture in my foot from kicking my locker. Senior year it was my ACL. Excuses, excuses.

Nick@Nite
01-14-2005, 04:34 AM
I played little league, 8-12 year olds. But didn't play as a teenager. In 1995, while in Fairbanks Alaska, I played in a mens baseball league. What a great time! It was gratifying to know I could still hit a baseball. When throwing BP to each other, we would sometimes say what type of pitch was coming... I think everyone would agree it's much easier hitting a curveball when you KNOW it's coming. :D:

Dadawg_77
01-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Rub some dirt on it and get back in there.

I got knocked out cold from a bat that slipped out of the hand of a hitter, caught me right in the side of the head, I never left the game after I came to, I went to the hospital after the game was over at the coaches insistence, and started the next day.
Wasn't really an option, my pants and the base were as red as a summer sky at sun set. I lost at least a pint of blood out there. I did come back and play as a DH, wore a catchers mask as my helmet to protect my nose. They wouldn't let me take the field. To this day, I sneeze though my mouth from not be able to with gauze stuff up there after surgery.

cubhater
01-15-2005, 09:51 AM
I've been royally screwed by the politics of high school baseball two years in a row.

Ah, the joys of high school politics! My HS got a new coach and didn't know any players during tryouts. I kicked ass....no mistakes in the field and hit the hell out of the ball during tryouts but still got cut. A couple friends who made the team found out that some of the other players told the coach that I was a bad influence and I was a druggie with my long hair at the time. Guess the coach didn't want a future Grateful Deadhead on the team. So I said screw it and joined a Connie Mack team which was more competitive.

bhayes520
01-15-2005, 09:54 AM
welcome to baseball at the academy, sir....

I have played in park district leagues every summer since I was 5 years old, including numerous travel teams, and that will continue this summer. I've been royally screwed by the politics of high school baseball two years in a row. Then again, I suppose there's never been anyone cut from a h.s. baseball team who agreed with the decision, but the reason it gets under my skin is that sophomore year I participated in a physical training program run by the coaches at my school 6 long months from September to the beginning of March 3-4 days a week for 1-3 hours only to get disappointed again. It made me cynical, so this year I blew off the training and I'm going to consider tryouts nothing but a warm-up for the summer season.

SoxFan76
01-15-2005, 10:51 AM
It seems like baseball is the only sport with politics. Football probably does too, but people also don't get cut. My team didn't have politics, so I was fortunate. We also won state....I wonder if there is any connection there.

SoxFan48
01-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Played through little league...off several years until HS formed a baseball team my Junior-Senior years. 3 years in college, then signed a minor league contract with old Washington Senators..3 years in Class A where despite good 3B glove and decent power against fastballs, discovered could not hit breaking stuff at professional level.

Clembasbal
01-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Little League for Westlawn (we won the state championship and was one game away from Williamsport - the game was on ESPN).

High School at St. Rita, played all four years, sucked at hitting my final two years so did nothing but pitching.

College, played four years at Valparaiso Univeristy, at one point ranked 301st out of 308 Division 1 baseball teams...that and the fact that they never cut anybody, ever.

Played one varasity game there ever, pitched it and won.

I have played at Comisky Park, the new stadium in Gary, IN and the stadium for the Fort Wayne Wizards, IN (if they are still called that).

Other than this, I have played amatur ball, but it sucked and I am just wating to turn 30 so I can join other leagues (they seem to have a min. age of 30).

Clembasbal
01-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Politics was all over my high school baseball team, we got a new coach my junior year and that was pretty much it for me and the other older guyes there, he considered us the last of the other coaches recuriting class so he didn't like us (we weren't his guys). I played, but only pitched...but like I mentioned earlier I sucked at hitting anyway, so it did not matter.

I had a scholarship for some colleges, but lost them because I did not sign in my junior year, I got greeded, sucked senior year and ended up having a 1/2 ride to Valpo.

But politics (especially at private schools) runs sport programs. It is unfair, and I told myself when I coach I will not listen to parents - but it is tough, because then I have a chance of losing my job.

Whitesox029
01-15-2005, 06:42 PM
We also won state....I wonder if there is any connection there.
Most likely.
I think the reasons I got cut were because I'm only 5'6" and because I'm the first from my family ever to go to the school. They didn't want to take a chance. Actually there was a third possible reason, and that was that I got a bad bad case of dead arm for the last 2 or 3 days of the tryouts. I couldn't make the throw from 1st to 2nd with decent velocity in double play drills because it hurt so bad. I waited a couple months without throwing and it was good as new by the time the summer league rolled around. Never happened again. Just my luck.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Played for Lane Tech. City Champions baby.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Most likely.
I think the reasons I got cut were because I'm only 5'6" and because I'm the first from my family ever to go to the school. They didn't want to take a chance. Actually there was a third possible reason, and that was that I got a bad bad case of dead arm for the last 2 or 3 days of the tryouts. I couldn't make the throw from 1st to 2nd with decent velocity in double play drills because it hurt so bad. I waited a couple months without throwing and it was good as new by the time the summer league rolled around. Never happened again. Just my luck.

Arm has EVERYTHING to do with it. I sucked before I made the team but I had a GUN for an arm (probably only reason I made the team). I had a Juan Cruz body and an arm almost as good as his. I couldn't hit (walked a lot though) but did defend well. I'm bigger now and being on the team made me a much better hitter, fielder, pitcher, etc. What it didn't change is me being lazy.

Soxzilla
01-15-2005, 08:01 PM
I played some T-Ball.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-15-2005, 08:04 PM
This should be called the "Excuses thread."

I played H.S. ball all four years, had a good glove at first base (useless, I know) and a pretty quick bat...but if there was a way to get injured I found it. Sophomore year, I ran into the third baseman on a pop fly (or rather he ran into me) and got a serious concussion. Junior year I got a stress fracture in my foot from kicking my locker. Senior year it was my ACL. Excuses, excuses.

IS THAT YOU GRIFFEY???

Vestigio
01-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I played 9 years of little league at Dunham Park, and won the championship 2 straight years. In high school, I played baseball in my freshman, sophmore, and senoir years (I didnt like the seniors on the varsity team when I was a junior). Right now I am not playing any baseball at NPU because I have gotten gradually worse after my 6th year in little league. Damn coach:angry:

OurBitchinMinny
01-16-2005, 11:31 PM
3 year varsity starter at shortstop. Was being recruited by division 1-AA North Dakota St (they were D2 at the time I think), but tore my knee turning a DP early in my senior year and they shied away after that. Thought about maybe trying to walk on at the U of Minnesota, but that was pretty far-fetched. I never did quite excel at the hitting part of the game.

Cubbiesuck13
01-17-2005, 01:13 AM
I was drafted out of T-ball to coach pitch for my ability to cover first base when the balls hit to the first basemen when I played pitcher. I peaked in coach pitch but hung around long enough to continue to be a utility player up into the 18 and up league even though I was only 16. Not because I was good but because my brother is two years older than me and my parents could not take me to a seperate practice. It was there when I realized that I must be cursed. After sporting the highest batting average on the team I was spit upon by my jelouse brother midway through the season. I was never the same. The next game I went 0-4 with 3 k's. Then in high school I found out that you acually have to work out. With weights. So I smoked my youth away and found that church league softball is the perfect place for a overly enthusiastic second baseman with Ryan Sandburg type range and a Chuck Knoblach type arm. I have yet to hit a home run out of the park.

CHIsoxNation
01-17-2005, 02:06 AM
I started playing T-ball when I was very young. Pitched for a traveling baseball team along with a recreational baseball team all year round from 5th grade til 8th grade. After that I played at my high school for a few years until I had to leave for personal reasons. Due to an arm injury while pitching I was pretty much constrained to playing first base or being a DH throughout college and to this day. Still dreaming of being a walk on with the sox though :D: .