PDA

View Full Version : Who might be available at midseason?

A. Cavatica
01-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't expect our Crede-Uribe-Harris infield to hold up. Based on past performances, we'll be lucky if two of these guys are able to hold on to starting jobs. But there aren't any difference-makers available right now, and we're not sure what our biggest need will be. Maybe KW is playing it smart by not gambling on an Iguchi, and waiting until midseason to make his next move.

I haven't seen a list of next year's free agents. Who might become available?

mdep524
01-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's a site that lists 2005-06 potential free agents:

http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/06agency.html

Looks like slim pickins among infielders. Maybe if the Cubs fall out of the race they'll trade us Nomar.

MUsoxfan
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't expect our Crede-Uribe-Harris infield to hold up. Based on past performances, we'll be lucky if two of these guys are able to hold on to starting jobs. But there aren't any difference-makers available right now, and we're not sure what our biggest need will be. Maybe KW is playing it smart by not gambling on an Iguchi, and waiting until midseason to make his next move.

I haven't seen a list of next year's free agents. Who might become available?
Pitchers and catchers don't report for another month and you're already talking about midseason acquisitions? Christ....at least cut them a little slack

34 Inch Stick
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
A return to the future of Tony G. would be very nice. He can back up all three positions and he is in the last year of that above market contract KC gave him. KC should fail early this year and he is just the type of player they will be looking to move.

Mohoney
01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
A return to the future of Tony G. would be very nice. He can back up all three positions and he is in the last year of that above market contract KC gave him. KC should fail early this year and he is just the type of player they will be looking to move.
Plus, if Crede falters, he can be locked up as a reasonable stopgap until Fields is ready.

Ol' No. 2
01-13-2005, 03:25 PM

I haven't seen a list of next year's free agents. Who might become available?You don't really want to know the answer to that question, do you?
:ralomar:

Giallo
01-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Roberto Alomar may be available. :D:

Edit - It was too easy. Beat me to it.

RKMeibalane
01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
It really depends on which teams aren't playing well. Expectations are high in New York right now, with the Mets having signed Beltran. If, however, the Mets are below .500 when July rolls around, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that they would look into moving one of their high-priced players (i.e. Cliff Floyd, Kaz Matsui, etc.). I don't know if either of these guys is a good fit for the Sox (Floyd has a no-trade clause preventing a trade here), but the general idea is that most of the players being dealt will be those who are playing on bad teams or teams that have underchieved and are looking toward 2006.

Tekijawa
01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Sammy Sosa?

MUsoxfan
01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Sammy Sosa?
That should be in the deepest teal available. The Teal Police should issue a warrant for that one

samram
01-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Floyd has a no-trade clause preventing a trade here.
Probably not a good fit then.:D: I think Ben Sheets will be available- the Brewers will be bad again and they'll be looking to move him. Other pitchers I could see on the block are Ponson (ick), A.J. Burnett (since he already was this offseason), and maybe Halladay if Toronto is bad again. Among position players, Catalanotto will probably be discussed here at some point during the season (he was certainly discussed enough last season). Maybe Jay Gibbons from Baltimore, as well as Roberts and Hairston. Soriano could be available too if Texas doesn't do well. I don't know if any of these guys (except Roberts) is particularly desirable for the Sox.

A. Cavatica
01-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Probably not a good fit then.:D: I think Ben Sheets will be available- the Brewers will be bad again and they'll be looking to move him. Other pitchers I could see on the block are Ponson (ick), A.J. Burnett (since he already was this offseason), and maybe Halladay if Toronto is bad again. Among position players, Catalanotto will probably be discussed here at some point during the season (he was certainly discussed enough last season). Maybe Jay Gibbons from Baltimore, as well as Roberts and Hairston. Soriano could be available too if Texas doesn't do well. I don't know if any of these guys (except Roberts) is particularly desirable for the Sox.
Speaking of the Red Sox, I think they'd deal Mueller to free up money for Sheets, who they're already targeting. Mueller would be a great pickup at either 3B or 2B. Mark Loretta would be another good target and can play all three spots.

Polanco would be a good pickup for 2B/SS, Randa would be OK at third, and of course I'd love to have Durham back if I didn't have to pay his whole salary.

I don't see us being interested in Catalanotto. I have a hunch KW was talking to the Jays about him when he made the trade for Podsednik, but the fit with the Brewers was better. We're probably set for outfielders unless there's another injury.

samram
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Speaking of the Red Sox, I think they'd deal Mueller to free up money for Sheets, who they're already targeting. Mueller would be a great pickup at either 3B or 2B. Mark Loretta would be another good target and can play all three spots.

Polanco would be a good pickup for 2B/SS, Randa would be OK at third, and of course I'd love to have Durham back if I didn't have to pay his whole salary.

I don't see us being interested in Catalanotto. I have a hunch KW was talking to the Jays about him when he made the trade for Podsednik, but the fit with the Brewers was better. We're probably set for outfielders unless there's another injury.
Probably true, but looking back upon the lust some here had for Cat last summer, I could see some posters bringing his name up again.

champagne030
01-13-2005, 10:17 PM

I'd like Loretta too, but i see the Padres being in that race so I doubt them dumping.....Bret Boone might be available, either for nothing in return or Seattle picking up a large chunk of the cash. I cannot stand his throwing of the bat, ala tori, but if I have to cheer AJ and El Duque this year, I might as well make it a trifecta.

munchman33
01-13-2005, 10:29 PM
(Floyd has a no-trade clause preventing a trade here),
I doubt he'd object to a trade here. He's from the Chicago area.

Chisox003
01-13-2005, 10:44 PM
I think its a safe bet to say that Tony G will be back sooner than '06...I think the team really misses him, as Konerko and him were best friends and A Row even said today they really missed him...Plus, we are in desperate need of an IF...Hes a guy that you know what you are getting, and its not at all a risk...I say go for it

samram
01-13-2005, 11:17 PM
That's exactly why he would reject a trade to Chicago.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Damn, June got here so quick, we're already talking about midseason pick ups.

From that list, I think Ray Durham and Joe Randa are most interesting and most realistic. Durham will be off the block unless the G-men are out of contention early which I don't see happening.

FightingBillini
01-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Yes, and he grew up a Sox fan. He has talked before about how horrible ownership is and how he would never play for Uncle Jerry.

jordan23ventura
01-14-2005, 03:04 AM
Damn, June got here so quick, we're already talking about midseason pick ups.

From that list, I think Ray Durham and Joe Randa are most interesting and most realistic. Durham will be off the block unless the G-men are out of contention early which I don't see happening.
I think Graffy is most realistic on that list.

Most interesting? Aramis Ramirez. Although it would never go down, I would LOVE to steal that guy away from the Cubs. They can have Maggs for all I care. I'll take the 3rd baseman.

And to respond to another post about Boston eyeing Ben Sheets, everyone in the world is eyeing him although I doubt he's going to be a FA anytime soon. Personally, I hope Milwaukee's new ownership ponies up and signs him to a long term deal for their fans. If not, the Sox would have to give up something like McCarthy+Anderson+Rowand+Cotts IMO to get him. Plus JR would have to open up the pocketbook and lock this guy up because he has Cy Young written all over him.

Flight #24
01-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes, and he grew up a Sox fan. He has talked before about how horrible ownership is and how he would never play for Uncle Jerry.
Is that true? I've seen reports/quotes that he has a no-trade to BOTH Chicago teams and was quoted as saying that he thinks playing in his hometwon on either side would entail so much pressure/distractions that he'd prefer not to. I never heard any specific comments from him on JR.

That said - If the Sox are contending and the Mets stink, I would guess that he'd rethink his position.

FightingBillini
01-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Is that true? I've seen reports/quotes that he has a no-trade to BOTH Chicago teams and was quoted as saying that he thinks playing in his hometwon on either side would entail so much pressure/distractions that he'd prefer not to. I never heard any specific comments from him on JR.

That said - If the Sox are contending and the Mets stink, I would guess that he'd rethink his position.
I personally dont want him. If and when he is healthy, he puts up good numbers. However, he is almost never healthy. People on this board are bitching that we got "injury-riddled" Jermaine Dye who had 2 separate freak injuries, that is hardly injury prone. Floyd actually is injury prone, he cant stay on the field. Besides that, there is nowhere to play Floyd. Big Frank will be back and healthy by the trading deadline.

Whitesox029
01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Ordonez anyone?

eastchicagosoxfan
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
I was discussing the upcoming season today, and the question arose as to who are free agents next year. Which players are potential mid-season trades to contenders?

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 07:34 PM
There was another thread somewhat relating to this before, and I'll answer the same way. Right now, nobody knows who's a contender and who's not. Some teams that you may think are bottom-dwellers may jump up and surprise some people. That being said, let's wait until at least a month of the season is over so we're not speculating complete nonsense.

soxfan26
01-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Here is the other speculation thread (www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44052&highlight=free+agents)

Foulke You
01-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I can't believe nobody noticed who was on that list who could fill the infielder role:

:thechoice
"Oh yeah, get ready for the franchise's fielding percentage champion to return!"

Lip Man 1
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Regarding Cliff Floyd.

In a Sports Illustrated story in the summer of 2002 or 2003 they discussed Floyd's background. The story quoted him as saying that he grew up a Sox fan and that his hero was Harold Baines. Floyd said that he would be in the stands at old Comiskey Park chanting the sing-song, 'Ha - rold, Ha - rold.'

The story did not quote Floyd at all on Sox ownership.

The story noted however that (at that time... I don't know if it has changed) Floyd DID have the Sox lisated as one of the 'no trade' to teams.

It said nothing one way or another about the Cubs.

Infer from that what you will.

Lip