PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Stewart

Paulwny
10-19-2001, 07:34 PM
Anyone know if Shannon Stewart can play cf? He batted 1st most of the season, not bad no's. He's going to arbitration, has hired a new agent, will be asking for $6-8 mil/yr, Jays not happy. May be looking to trade him and go with their minor league prospect Wells. Is this too much $$ for us.

Spiff
10-19-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Anyone know if Shannon Stewart can play cf? He batted 1st most of the season, not bad no's. He's going to arbitration, has hired a new agent, will be asking for $6-8 mil/yr, Jays not happy. May be looking to trade him and go with their minor league prospect Wells. Is this too much $$ for us.

Stewart has played center on occasion, not so much lately though. I don't think Reinsdorf is afraid to spend Stewart-type money but I think that's the max. Hopefully the Sox will take a look at Stewart and decide whether or not he'd be a good fit.

LongDistanceFan
10-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if Shannon Stewart can play cf? He batted 1st most of the season, not bad no's. He's going to arbitration, has hired a new agent, will be asking for $6-8 mil/yr, Jays not happy. May be looking to trade him and go with their minor league prospect Wells. Is this too much $$ for us. i have be spouting stewart for cf....... even tho he is more suited for lf, he can do cf or should i say he has the speed for it. great look at #1 leadoff hitter.

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Is this too much $$ for us.

I think you know that answer to that Paul.
I wonder how much money Damon is going to command oops I should say how much Boras will ask for.

Paulwny
10-19-2001, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think you know that answer to that Paul.
I wonder how much money Damon is going to command oops I should say how much Boras will ask for.

Im not sure on this one. Stewart is not a free agent so we would have to make a trade. We'd be losing some salary money.

dougs78
10-19-2001, 07:52 PM
I would love to see Stewart as the Sox leadoff hitter. However, i think that mountainous problems with that are A) the money and B) the fact that he plays outfield, if we got him, I'm assuming Lee would be part of the package?? C) We are not Toronto's "most favored" trading partner.
overall, I still don't think you will see a new leadoff hitter from outside the organization, I guess Ray will have to do it again unless we think Rowand would be able to do it yet. Who else is even a possibility?

Doug

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 08:01 PM
Im not sure on this one. Stewart is not a free agent so we would have to make a trade. We'd be losing some salary money.

Who would you offer to try to get him?

GASHWOUND
10-19-2001, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I would love to see Stewart as the Sox leadoff hitter. However, i think that mountainous problems with that are A) the money and B) the fact that he plays outfield, if we got him, I'm assuming Lee would be part of the package?? C) We are not Toronto's "most favored" trading partner.
overall, I still don't think you will see a new leadoff hitter from outside the organization, I guess Ray will have to do it again unless we think Rowand would be able to do it yet. Who else is even a possibility?

Doug

True, Toronto and the Sox aren't very good friends and will probably try to avoid each other.(3 team trade?)

The only other choice for leadoff is Jose. He can bat leadoff. Is good at taking walks. But he's been successful as the #2 batter.
Ray's our guy, ike it or not.

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
True, Toronto and the Sox aren't very good friends and will probably try to avoid each other.(3 team trade?)

Well with Gord out of the way we could make a deal with them. As long as we don't trade them a pitcher we should be ok! :)

Daver
10-19-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Doug

Rowand could lead off,but will he play if they don't unload Singleton or Lee?

duke of dorwood
10-19-2001, 10:06 PM
WE'd be a lot better with Stewart. Salary can be dumped in other areas to fill a big time need .

:hitless

Uh Oh

Soxheads
10-19-2001, 11:27 PM
I doubt we would get Stewart without giving up Konerko or some one similar.

RKMeibalane
10-20-2001, 12:19 AM
I doubt if Toronto will be making any deals with the Sox anytime soon, mainly because of the "shoulder-gate" incident surrounding Mike Sirotka and David Wells. However, the Blue Jays played poorly enough last season to warrant making some changes, and trading Stewart might be what they need.

I would like to see the Sox find someone who is capable of getting on base at least forty percent of the time, because that has been an area of concern, especially this season. It's one thing if a team has a slugger (Thomas) in the middle of the lineup, but Frank wasn't around much this year, and his absence prevented the Sox from being able to score in bunches as they did many times during the 2000 season. In the event that the Sox offense struggles at all next season, a way is needed to manufacture runs in order to minimze the chances of falling behind in games where runs are "hard to come by."

Paulwny
10-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Who would you offer to try to get him?

For Stewart the Jays will only take pitching, all their positional players seem set, maybe a multi-player trade is needed.

LongDistanceFan
10-20-2001, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I doubt if Toronto will be making any deals with the Sox anytime soon, mainly because of the "shoulder-gate" incident surrounding Mike Sirotka and David Wells. However, the Blue Jays played poorly enough last season to warrant making some changes, and trading Stewart might be what they need.

I would like to see the Sox find someone who is capable of getting on base at least forty percent of the time, because that has been an area of concern, especially this season. It's one thing if a team has a slugger (Thomas) in the middle of the lineup, but Frank wasn't around much this year, and his absence prevented the Sox from being able to score in bunches as they did many times during the 2000 season. In the event that the Sox offense struggles at all next season, a way is needed to manufacture runs in order to minimze the chances of falling behind in games where runs are "hard to come by." b/c of ash, they may trade with us, with everything examine by a microscope. if this was a true idea, i will add one of their young ss prospect, fillipe lopez...... they have 3 ss prospects..... then offer then a deal.

Paulwny
10-20-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
b/c of ash, they may trade with us, with everything examine by a microscope. if this was a true idea, i will add one of their young ss prospect, fillipe lopez...... they have 3 ss prospects..... then offer then a deal.

You're right on paper their supposed to have 3 quality ss in the minors. However, I don't know their names.