PDA

View Full Version : My annual caravan thread

mike squires
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I know I"ve posted this before but te Cardinals came through this evening on their caravan and I'm always pissed that the Sox don't do something like this...maybe a few weeks leading up to Soxfest. Granted the Cards best player they sent was Bo Hart but at least they are making an effort at connecting with their fans. There is no reason Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand and Cliff Poelitte can't swing through Chicago's neighborng cites/towns...

SpammySosa
01-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I know I"ve posted this before but te Cardinals came through this evening on their caravan and I'm always pissed that the Sox don't do something like this...maybe a few weeks leading up to Soxfest. Granted the Cards best player they sent was Bo Hart but at least they are making an effort at connecting with their fans. There is no reason Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand and Cliff Poelitte can't swing through Chicago's neighborng cites/towns...
Even that minor league team on the Northside does the caravan.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
The Royals have done it for years.

Lip

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-12-2005, 10:49 PM
i dont get it

LauraJ14
01-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Yes but if you go to the Cardinals Winterfest (like Soxfest), it costs to get in and costs to get autographs. Pujols is $90, Rolen is $70 and Mulder, Marquis and Suppan are $40. Now the money goes to charity but still that's alot of money. So maybe that's why they do a caravan. At least with the Sox, all player autographs are free at Soxfest. And I wouldn't go to a Sox caravan that had Borchard or Hawk anyways.

Jjav829
01-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes but if you go to the Cardinals Winterfest (like Soxfest), it costs to get in and costs to get autographs. Pujols is $90, Rolen is $70 and Mulder, Marquis and Suppan are $40. Now the money goes to charity but still that's alot of money. So maybe that's why they do a caravan. At least with the Sox, all player autographs are free at Soxfest. And I wouldn't go to a Sox caravan that had Borchard or Hawk anyways.
Who the hell pays $40 for a Jeff Suppan autograph? I can see why people would pay for Rolen, Pujols, and even Mulder. But $40 for a Jeff Suppan autograph or a Jason Marquis autograph? That's like if the Sox charged $40 to get a Jon Garland autograph. The line would be like 4 people deep.

RKMeibalane
01-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Who the hell pays $40 for a Jeff Suppan autograph? I can see why people would pay for Rolen, Pujols, and even Mulder. But $40 for a Jeff Suppan autograph or a Jason Marquis autograph? That's like if the Sox charged $40 to get a Jon Garland autograph. The line would be like 4 people deep.
That's assuming that there are actually four Jon Garland fans. I don't think there are, at least not now.

jordan23ventura
01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
The organization would never dare send there players through the mean streets of the South Side. They are liable to be shot.

It would be so much better to send a few players through the North Side flinging poo.

Brian26
01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
A lot of people here either forgot or don't know that the White Sox actually used to do a caravan-type of deal during the winter. Generally, the Sox would send 3 or 4 players out at a time to all of the local malls, and they'd set up a table for autographs.

In the winter of 91, I went to the Fox Valley Mall to see McDowell, Thigpen, Minoso, Ozzie and Torborg. I remember them doing this in the late 80s and early 90s. They must have stopped these mall visits when they started doing Soxfest.

Maximo
01-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Back in the early 60's the Sox caravan used to roll into South Bend annually.

Once again, one of the reasons why the Michiana area was owned by the Sox back then. No longer true today.

Maximo
01-13-2005, 09:55 AM
My previous post got me to thinking again about some of Reinsdorf's business decisions as they pertain to the Sox. As I said, when I was a kid the Michiana area was loaded with Sox fans until they began to 'trickle off' to that other team.

Then South Bend built a stadium and got a Class A minor league franchise and for several years the Major League affiliate was the White Sox. Pudge Fisk did a short rehab here once for a couple of days and you couldn't get near the place.

Then Jerry Reinsdorf announced one day the that Sox had one too many minor league affiliates and were going to have "cut costs". So which one was selected? None of the ones in North Carolina.......nope, the one they selected was 80 miles down the 'toll road' from Sox Park.

I know this falls under the category of "Beating a Dead Horse".....but Jeesh!