PDA

View Full Version : Astros look for help

HoustonAstros967
01-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I've seen reports that the Astros are eyeing Jeromy Burnitz as a possible replacement for Carlos Beltran. I don't think there are many people that the Astros could get that could actually replace Beltran at the same skill level but I think Jeromy Burnitz is a good start. He hit around .283 and hit an impressive 37 homeruns. His 110 RBI's would give the Astros a much needed charge into a mediocure offense.

SoxFan76
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Replacement isn't the best word to use, especially when referring to a guy like Beltran. He would be a good choice to fill an outfield hole though.

HoustonAstros967
01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
The key to the Astros success lies in the hands of one man. The Rocket. Without him they are sunk. Signing him and a good center fielder, Jeromy Burnitz, would open a lot of doors for the Astros. Their rotation, Clemens, Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe would be very good. With Berkman they would have a good outfield. One key to the Astros success will be the level that Morgan Ensberg performs to. He needs to hit over .280 to keep his starting spot.

HoustonAstros967
01-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Replacement isn't the best word to use, especially when referring to a guy like Beltran. He would be a good choice to fill an outfield hole though.
very true a guy like Beltran doesn't come around often and they missed their opportunity. Now they just need someone to fill that hole.

JUribe1989
01-12-2005, 10:43 PM
For Burnitz there is one word to be said...........Coors!

veeter
01-12-2005, 10:49 PM
They also have a stud closer in Brad Lidge.

bhayes520
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
willie harris could hit 37 HRs at Coors.

NonetheLoaiza
01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Exactly. But I think you can count on him for a .280 avg and 25-30 HRs and around 80 rbis. Not terrible. It's a good start though to fill a hole, especially with not too many replacements available. Unless they want to make a run and try to trade for Mike Cameron, Burnitz is probably the best suitable "hole-filler".

Foulke You
01-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I think Minute Maid could yield almost as many homers for Burnitz as Coors did. Minute Maid is one shade below Coors in the top launching pads in baseball along with our own Comiskey Park.

FarWestChicago
01-12-2005, 11:37 PM
willie harris could hit 37 HRs at Coors.:nandrolone:

Let me work with him!!

Jjav829
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
The Astros definitely need some help. I don't know where they're gonna get it from, but they need to explore every option. They really should look into Maggs. If he's healthy, he'd give them the big boost they need. I know there was some talk about the Astros having interest in Austin Kearns, but I'm not sure there's a good match there. Backe for Soriano was discussed, though the Rangers might not trade Soriano now, but Backe for Kearns doesn't make much sense.

As for Burnitz, if that's the best the Astros can do, well, then they better do it. Frankly, I'm hoping Burnitz goes to the Cubs. Can you imagine the strikeouts that outfield could generate?! Burnitz-Patterson-Sosa could set a record for most K's by an outfield. :o:

Banix12
01-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Exactly. But I think you can count on him for a .280 avg and 25-30 HRs and around 80 rbis. Not terrible. It's a good start though to fill a hole, especially with not too many replacements available. Unless they want to make a run and try to trade for Mike Cameron, Burnitz is probably the best suitable "hole-filler".

He'll get the HR's and he'll get the RBI's but you're dreaming if you think you can count on him hitting around .280. He hit that last year but as I recall most seasons in Milwaukee he hit around or below .260. His swing is so haphazard and so prone to strikeouts you never really know what he is going to hit averagewise. A conservative estimate would put him somewhere in the .240-.260 range. However,something positive you do get with him is that Cannon of an arm he has. He's not the defensive gem he used to be in the OF, especially playing in center, but his is an arm you don't want to run on.

jordan23ventura
01-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Burnitz-Patterson-Sosa could set a record for most K's by an outfield. :o:
That would be nice. And add a couple holes in the middle infield, mix in some club house dissention and a little bit of salsa music, and just watch that team beat St. Louis and Houston.

My prediction:

1. Wood and Zambrano anchor that starting staff while Maddux falls apart and Rusch comes down to Earth. Prior struggles to throw six innings without a lollipop and a kiss, and Hawkins goes nuts demanding a trade.

2. Nomar assures fans in several radio interviews that "the whole thing has been taken out of context" and "the boys really aren't bothered by it."

3. Ramirez and Lee are a deadly tandem, but are not able to provide enough run support as the Sox tear them apart six times in a row.

4. Due to much reported problems in the clubhouse between Prior and Sosa, Sammy is ultimately traded near the deadline and goes on to finish the season strong with another team. This spurs a series of heated comments between Sosa and Prior, published in every major newspaper. On the final meeting of the year, Prior beans Sosa and the two beat the living crap out of each other on live television. For Sox fans, this is almost as wonderful as their 'impossible' 3-2 victory over the Red Sox, propelling them to the ALCS.

5. Last but not least, the entire media is FORCED to cover nothing but the Sox and the tide begins to slowly turn toward the South Siders.

Nick@Nite
01-13-2005, 08:06 AM
With the Astros not resigning Beltran, the likelihood of Clemens coming back are slim.

wsbaseball9
01-13-2005, 08:55 AM
i heard the astros were going to go after maggs unless of course they werent too concerned about dealing with boras again

Ol' No. 2
01-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I've seen reports that the Astros are eyeing Jeromy Burnitz as a possible replacement for Carlos Beltran. I don't think there are many people that the Astros could get that could actually replace Beltran at the same skill level but I think Jeromy Burnitz is a good start. He hit around .283 and hit an impressive 37 homeruns. His 110 RBI's would give the Astros a much needed charge into a mediocure offense.And his name starts with "B", preserving the "Killer B's".

Flight #24
01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
The key to the Astros success lies in the hands of one man. The Rocket. Without him they are sunk. Signing him and a good center fielder, Jeromy Burnitz, would open a lot of doors for the Astros. Their rotation, Clemens, Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe would be very good. With Berkman they would have a good outfield. One key to the Astros success will be the level that Morgan Ensberg performs to. He needs to hit over .280 to keep his starting spot.
Going a bit unnoticed in this whole discussion is that Berkman tore his ACL, and will likely miss the beginnig of the season and/or be less than 100% this year. That's a HUGE loss.

So while they might be able to "replace" Beltran with Burnitz, they also need to find some offense elsewhere to repalce what they're losing from Berkman.

IMO they'll need Rocket and some more help. Maggs might help, but unfortunately, his timing is likely to mirror Berkman's - out/limited early, then playing more as the season moves on......unless the Astros can convince him to take painkillers and go all out at the beginning of the season, then once his leg actually falls off at the knee, maybe Lance is ready to come back.

HoustonAstros967
01-13-2005, 07:53 PM
i heard the astros were going to go after maggs unless of course they werent too concerned about dealing with boras again
going after maggs is a bad idea. Yeah he can hit but what they lost in Carlos Beltran was a good outfielder. Maggs isn't in anyway a replacement for him in the outfield.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
01-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Wow, there sure are alot of Astros threads in here.