PDA

View Full Version : To Spend or Not to Spend

BRDSR
01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Attention everyone is currently owns or has ever owned partial or full season ticket packages with the White Sox:

I'm currently considering purchasing two seats in the split-season Double Play package with the White Sox. That's the 27-game plan in which you get all the Saturday and Sunday games.

Right now I can't say for certain that my finances will allow it. I'll find out more in that department in early February. However, assuming that I do have the funds to purchase the tickets, would you all recommend it? As a college student who has worked hard and finds himself with a sizable amount of discretionary income, I'm wondering if this is a good way to spend my money. I hear a lot of griping from season ticket holders about various issues but not a lot of positives. That said, there must be some positives because people still buy season tickets. Is it nice to sit in the same seat for every game and get to know some people around you? What are the "Exclusive Season Ticket Holder Events" that you get invited to? Is it nice to know way ahead of time which games you'll be attending or do you sometimes miss the flexibility down the road?

Needless to say, it's a pretty big financial commitment, and I just wanted to get some feedback mostly on why WSI members choose to shell out thousands of dollars to purchase season tickets in one form or another. Any comments and insight would be appreciated.

CPditka
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Im in the exact situation, and was just going to post something to this regard. Anybody with an opinion?

Clembasbal
01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Go with the 27 games. That is what I have had for years. You might not get the best seats for Saturday and Sunday games only, but I recommend that that is the package you buy. Package "A" or weekday games - sucks, nothing but crappy teams so don't waste your money.

It is so hard to go to 27 games, let alone 81. So don't go overboard. Also, it will be hard to get rid of tickets early on in the year and later on in the season (unless the Sox are kicking butt - which I think will happen), so don't expect to sell them for more than face value.

Hope this helps, and if is doesn't...call a sales rep and ask questions to him/her.

MRKARNO
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
:reinsy

"SPEND!"

OzzieBall2004
01-12-2005, 09:04 PM
As far as not making all 27, there are selected season ticket exchange dates. My friend has ST's and he does that b/c he travels a lot.

CallMeNuts
01-12-2005, 09:12 PM
And get yourself a group of partners. That way, you can go with more friends and you have other people who can use the seats when you can't go. I've been doing this for 25 years now.

fed ex 4 pasqua
01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
as a 10 year holder of the weekday package, i will enjoy seeing the crap that consists of the yakees, red sox, dodgers, angels, and twins this year. but i do agree that i will be viewing crap the third friday in june.

FightingBillini
01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Damn, Brad. You have a lot more money than I do:D:

but if you have the money, go nuts. I know I would rather be at Sox games than working or whatever the hell else I will be doing this summer.

BRDSR
01-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Damn, Brad. You have a lot more money than I do:D:

but if you have the money, go nuts. I know I would rather be at Sox games than working or whatever the hell else I will be doing this summer.
Hey, it's not like I won't be working. But I've been blessed with good jobs that pay well whose schedule I can set. I hope it works out.

Ol' No. 2
01-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Attention everyone is currently owns or has ever owned partial or full season ticket packages with the White Sox:

I'm currently considering purchasing two seats in the split-season Double Play package with the White Sox. That's the 27-game plan in which you get all the Saturday and Sunday games.

Right now I can't say for certain that my finances will allow it. I'll find out more in that department in early February. However, assuming that I do have the funds to purchase the tickets, would you all recommend it? As a college student who has worked hard and finds himself with a sizable amount of discretionary income, I'm wondering if this is a good way to spend my money. I hear a lot of griping from season ticket holders about various issues but not a lot of positives. That said, there must be some positives because people still buy season tickets. Is it nice to sit in the same seat for every game and get to know some people around you? What are the "Exclusive Season Ticket Holder Events" that you get invited to? Is it nice to know way ahead of time which games you'll be attending or do you sometimes miss the flexibility down the road?

Needless to say, it's a pretty big financial commitment, and I just wanted to get some feedback mostly on why WSI members choose to shell out thousands of dollars to purchase season tickets in one form or another. Any comments and insight would be appreciated.To me the relevant point is how many games do you want to go to? If you plan on going to that many games anyway, the discount is substantial from the single-game pricing, especially if you buy your single-game tickets on Ticketmaster and have to pay their fee on top of the ticket price. And you'll get better seats for the high-demand games. Plus, you get the opportunity to get playoff tickets in the happy event that they make it.:smile:

The perks are nice, but they're not really enough to drive the decision one way or the other, IMO.

HebrewHammer
01-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I just plunked down for the 27 game package with the two ScRubs, two Dodgers, two Yankees and two Red Sox games.

I think its worth it, it's all games I'd want to go to anyway, it winds up a little cheaper and I get the seats I want, aces by me.

That and honestly, I am psyched to see this team in action, it should be a fun year.

Over By There
01-13-2005, 10:48 AM
If you've got the time and the dough, I would recommend it. I've had the 27-game (weekend) package in the past and really enjoyed it. You kind of get a pride for your section and your seats, and get to joke around with the people that you see all the time. The year of the All Star Game was great because you got ASG tickets. In "normal" years, you get access to playoff tickets, which would be huge if we make it.

I've had to cut down to the smaller packages the last couple years due to the birth of my son and now living a lot further from the park. It's just not possible for me to make the time investment anymore. But again, if I had the dough and the time, I would do it in a heartbeat. When my son gets older, I plan to do the package again when he can go to games with me. For this year, looks like about 10 games in person, and lots on my new HDTV.

jabrch
01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
If you have the $ and enjoy going to the games, there's no good reason not to. This team should be competitive. It should be a fun summer.

Hangar18
01-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Im in the exact situation, and was just going to post something to this regard. Anybody with an opinion?
:reinsy " I'll tell you what. If you SPEND and get a 27game Package,
I will Get you guys Randy Johnson. Deal? You guys have to fill the park
first, then I'll spend"
Hangar: "But Jerry, attendance was UP last year, Fans DID come out"

:reinsy " ....oh ......I ......ummmmmmmm (Door Slams, Tires Screech)

mweflen
01-13-2005, 11:09 AM
My dad has the weekend plan, which I take advantage of now and again.

Some thoughts on it:

If you don't like to turn your body at a 45 degree angle for three hours, consider getting your seats in the outfield rather than down the line. The LD seats down the line are angled towards the outfield, not towards the infield.

Consider your sun habits when choosing your section. 3rd base side bakes on sunny days, while 1st base side is in the shade most of the time. Totally a personal preference thing. And remember - if one or the other is totally uncomfortable, you have the option of going to the UD - they never check tickets up there, and you can usually find a nice seat in the sun/shade with a good view.

Unless games are in very high demand (Cubs and Yankees, I doubt Bosox and LA will command much), the best you'll generally do scalping is $15-$20 per ticket. Much better to get a few friends who'll take on a few games for face value.

Mickster
01-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Some thoughts on it:

If you don't like to turn your body at a 45 degree angle for three hours, consider getting your seats in the outfield rather than down the line. The LD seats down the line are angled towards the outfield, not towards the infield.

Consider your sun habits when choosing your section. 3rd base side bakes on sunny days, while 1st base side is in the shade most of the time. Totally a personal preference thing. And remember - if one or the other is totally uncomfortable, you have the option of going to the UD - they never check tickets up there, and you can usually find a nice seat in the sun/shade with a good view.
All excellent points. I had (2) split seasons last year in 145 and turning to see the plate was a bit annoying. Fortunately, this year we are sharing (4) premiums in 127 (behind visitor dugout) and am looking forward to sitting comfortably. :smile:

mweflen
01-13-2005, 11:31 AM
All excellent points. I had (2) split seasons last year in 145 and turning to see the plate was a bit annoying. Fortunately, this year we are sharing (4) premiums in 127 (behind visitor dugout) and am looking forward to sitting comfortably. :smile:
My dad's company tix were in 121, similar to your 127. Great view, loved it. Unfortunately, they've phased them out - so now it's baking/backache 150 and half-price Upper Deck Mondays for me :smile: