PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays release Kevin Beirne, Matt DeWitt and Ryan Freel

jklm
10-19-2001, 06:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20011019/ap-bluejays-moves.html

TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Blue Jays released pitchers Kevin Beirne and Matt DeWitt and infielder Ryan Freel on Friday.

Beirne appeared in five games for Toronto and was 0-0 with a 12.86 earned-run average this season. He was 1-1 with a 1.57 ERA for Triple-A Syracuse in only 18 games after suffering from a rig cage strain.

DeWitt was 0-2 with a 3.79 ERA in 16 games for Toronto and 3-2 with aleague-leading 27 saves and a 2.78 ERA at Syracuse.

Freel opened the season with Toronto and hit .273 in six games with three RBIs and two stolen bases. At Syracuse, he hit .260 with 21 doubles, three triples, five home runs, 33 RBIs and 22 stolen bases.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-19-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by jklm

TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Blue Jays released pitchers Kevin Beirne and Matt DeWitt and infielder Ryan Freel on Friday.

That means the Wells trade is now just Boomer vs. Sirotka and Brian Simmons. Simmons is nothing but Chris Singleton and we're already too crowded in the outfield.

If Sirotka comes back healthy, we lose. Otherwise... a push?

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Just Wondering:
Does Gord Ash getting fired add anything to the Sox side?

NUCatsFan
10-19-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Just Wondering:

Actually, if this trade is what got Ash fired, it gives more of an edge to TO. Possibly the only man more incompetent than KW.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-19-2001, 08:03 PM
Just Wondering:

I suppose it would. If Ash was even slightly competent, the trade never would have been completed and we would have gotten an injured Sirotka back, along with Beirne, Simmons, and that minor league pitcher (Williams?) who was also injured. None of them would have been worth a damn to us in 2001 either.

Here's an interesting question: if the shoe was on the other foot with a six-year GM veteran KW accepting an injured Mike Sirotka, would Reinsdorf show him the door the way Toronto did to Ash?

I've got my doubts.

"As long as Kenny toes the party line (i.e. MY line), he's got a job for life."
:reinsy

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 08:08 PM
we would have gotten an injured Sirotka back, along with Beirne, Simmons, and that minor league pitcher (Williams?) who was also injured. None of them would have been worth a damn to us in 2001 either.

Actually if we had Simmons he would have beaten out Juilo, another "What If".

GASHWOUND
10-19-2001, 08:52 PM

Actually if we had Simmons he would have beaten out Juilo, another "What If".

Didn't we still have Singleton? They should've just played him all along and not bother even having Julio on the roster. I still think Chris had a down year last year cause of injury.
Those damn spring training games ruined us. HarOLD and Julio both had good spring trainings and thats why they were on this club earlier.
BTW, where is Jeff Abbot? Don't remember seeing him on any rosters. NORton is on the Rockies team.
Simmons sucked for Toronto. Maybe he'll do better next year but who knows.
The whole trade might be a wash, but at least we grabbed Glover out of Ash's reign as GM. Another GM probably wouldn't have made that trade. What was it, Scott Eyre for Glover? What a l.

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Didn't we still have Singleton? BTW, where is Jeff Abbot?

Yes we did but I think Juilo was his backup since Jose had to be the backup for Royce. Abbott was traded to Florida I believe for Juilo.

duke of dorwood
10-19-2001, 11:09 PM
I liked Beirne when he was here. Has a sound arm as far as I know. We should get him back in the system.

Soxheads
10-20-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I liked Beirne when he was here. Has a sound arm as far as I know. We should get him back in the system.

Yes, but his sound arm gave up a lot of sound hits.

doublem23
10-20-2001, 02:06 AM

That means the Wells trade is now just Boomer vs. Sirotka and Brian Simmons. Simmons is nothing but Chris Singleton and we're already too crowded in the outfield.

Well, what if Wells comes back healthy?

GASHWOUND
10-20-2001, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Yes, but his sound arm gave up a lot of sound hits.

Thats funny.. :)

But lets be fair...his sound arm gave up alot of sound homeruns also.

GASHWOUND
10-20-2001, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Well, what if Wells comes back healthy?

Well, than its still a Sirotka for Wells deal and the trade still is a push.
I'm sort of thinking maybe we should resign Wells. If he's that confident that he can come back, well than lets give it one more try.

oldcomiskey
10-20-2001, 01:21 PM
I still say Boomer was worth it in 01--Alomar too-=-just ask Buehrle and Lowe

RichieRichAllen
10-20-2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jklm
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20011019/ap-bluejays-moves.html

DeWitt was 0-2 with a 3.79 ERA in 16 games for Toronto and 3-2 with aleague-leading 27 saves and a 2.78 ERA at Syracuse.

What's the story on DeWitt? It doesn't seem that he had a bad year. Why the release?

Paulwny
10-20-2001, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

What's the story on DeWitt? It doesn't seem that he had a bad year. Why the release?

Good question, Jays need pitching, why let this guy go?

beausox
10-21-2001, 11:46 AM
Matt Dewitt is 25 (born in 1977), he was acquired by the Blue Jays from the Cardinals in teh Pat Hentgen deal several years ago. DeWitt was supposed to come over in the D. Wells deal but then the minor league pitcher we sent to teh Jays got hurt so we sent DeWitt back. I like his arm, he is young and has had some success. We should sign him.

We should also resign Beirne. I've always liked his arm, it seems everyone regarded him as too old to be a prospect, he's 27 and I think we should bring him to camp and see what he's got.