PDA

View Full Version : Sox Statue Talk

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 10:31 AM
At Sox Park they are adding several statues around the field throughout the years and what do you guys think will be there in 05? 04 was Minnie and the Old Roman.:hijacked:

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 10:34 AM
At Sox Park they are adding several statues around the field throughout the years and what do you guys think will be there in 05? 04 was Minnie and the Old Roman.I sort of assumed they would be statues of players whose numbers have been retired. Billy Pierce, maybe?

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I'd like to see ol' Aches and Pains
(Luke Appling) hope I didn't spell it wrong

NonetheLoaiza
01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Fisk...because he will be the new bench coach...

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Fisk...because he will be the new bench coach...
:tongue: :dtroll:

FightingBillini
01-12-2005, 11:10 AM
At Sox Park they are adding several statues around the field throughout the years and what do you guys think will be there in 05? 04 was Minnie and the Old Roman.:hijacked:
I emailed Brooks about this, and I think it would be a great idea.
They should put up statues of Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox next. They should put their statues either right next to eachother, or directly across from eachother on the concourse, but facing either way. They could have Luis with his arm raised in a throwing motion, and Nellie with his glove up ready to catch Luis' throw and turn two. A fitting way to forever honor one of baseball's all time best double play combos. What do you guys think?

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:12 AM
:thumbsup: Sounds great to me!

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
They should put up statues of Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox next. They should put their statues either right next to eachother, or directly across from eachother on the concourse, but facing either way. They could have Luis with his arm raised in a throwing motion, and Nellie with his glove up ready to catch Luis' throw and turn two. A fitting way to forever honor one of baseball's all time best double play combos. What do you guys think?What do I think? You're kidding, right?

Brian26
01-12-2005, 11:22 AM
They should put up statues of Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox next. They should put their statues either right next to eachother, or directly across from eachother on the concourse, but facing either way. Great idea. Although both players were great on their own, the fact that they played together on the same team in the same era somewhat interwines each of their legacies- especially since they were a doubleplay combination. It's hard to think of Nellie without Luis, and vice versa.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Fisk...because he will be the new bench coach...If we only had that Slice o' Pizza tag, I'd give it to you for that post. :thumbsup:

*clears throat conspicuously*

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
It would be awesome to see a statue of Fisk with all his gear on...........:smile:

ozzman
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
The Fisk statue that I envision would have him standing there in full gear, helmet on his head and his mask in his hand. Something like the little pic in the bottom left corner here

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/graphics/product_images/p881138reg.jpg

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:59 AM
The Fisk statue that I envision would have him standing there in full gear, helmet on his head and his mask in his hand. Something like the little pic in the bottom left corner here

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/graphics/product_images/p881138reg.jpgexactly what I was thinking:cool:

ozzman
01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I also think the Fisk one needs to be back by nancy's box. What better place for Fisk statue than back on the concourse behind the plate :)

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
:thumbsup:

FightingBillini
01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
What do I think? You're kidding, right?:?:

(seinfeldian rant)
Is that "You're kidding, right?" as in "horrible idea, it must be a joke. Nellie should be holding a bat", or is it "You're kidding, right?" as in "look at my name, I love Nellie, and think that particular idea is a great way to honor him and Looie":D:

zach074
01-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Maybe they should put one for all the players with retired numbers.

FightingBillini
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Maybe they should put one for all the players with retired numbers.
Yeah, I was thinking that. It would look good if they eventually had a statue behind every section on the concourse.

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
:?:

(seinfeldian rant)
Is that "You're kidding, right?" as in "horrible idea, it must be a joke. Nellie should be holding a bat", or is it "You're kidding, right?" as in "look at my name, I love Nellie, and think that particular idea is a great way to honor him and Looie":D:OK. I understand the confusion. I think a pair of statues of Aparicio and Fox turning 2 would be OUTSTANDING, and the most appropriate way of honoring them. That's the way we will always remember them.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe they should put one for all the players with retired numbers.Then, at the stroke of midnight on the next vernal equinox, a rabbinical warlock could stand at second base in USCF and murmur some incantations from the Sefer Yetzirah and all the statues would come alive and do our bidding. Of course, this dream team would be unstoppable and the world championship would finally be ours!

:reinsy
"Son, do you have any idea how much a warlock would cost? Forget it."

Yorke97
01-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Is it just me or are the statues kinda small? Anytime you choose to forever memorialize a person with a statue, it should be larger than life. Otherwise its just disrespectful.

"Well, we wanted to make the statue taller and have pedestal under it, but we didn't sell enough churros this season," --Chairman

DumpJerry
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Shoeless Joe, Shoeless Joe, Shoeless Joe....................

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Then, at the stroke of midnight on the next vernal equinox, a rabbinical warlock could stand at second base in USCF and murmur some incantations from the Sefer Yetzirah and all the statues would come alive and do our bidding. Of course, this dream team would be unstoppable and the world championship would finally be ours!Whooaaa. Duuuuuude. You really need to lay off that stuff for a while.:D:

FightingBillini
01-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Is it just me or are the statues kinda small? Anytime you choose to forever memorialize a person with a statue, it should be larger than life. Otherwise its just disrespectful.

"Well, we wanted to make the statue taller and have pedestal under it, but we didn't sell enough churros this season," --Chairman
I agree to a certain extent. I would have liked for the statues to be a little bigger, but I dont think they are disrespectful. The statues couldn't be too big, otherwise they would disrupt the continuity of the outfield concourse. Also, the statues now are more fan friendly. Fans can experience the players at their actual proportions. I can take a picture with my arm around Chuck Comiskey:D:

Actually, one thing I think would be REALLY awesome is, after Frank retires, they should put a HUGE statue of him outside of the park behind home plate. If anyone deserves a huge statue, its the Big Hurt.

Banix12
01-12-2005, 04:23 PM
How about a statue in honor of Bill Veeck?

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 04:25 PM
How about a statue in honor of Bill Veeck?Capital idea!

SpammySosa
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
How about a statue of Steve Dahl?

FightingBillini
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
How about a statue in honor of Bill Veeck?
Yes, I can see it now...
They could put it between the statue of Comiskey and one of Reinsdorf trampling orphans

"Funny story there. One time I was walking to my Bently caring large money bags with dollar signs on the front, cliche I know, but it makes me feel important. Anyways, there was a group of orphans begging for money..."

MUsoxfan
01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, I can see it now...
They could put it between the statue of Comiskey and one of Reinsdorf trampling orphans

"Funny story there. One time I was walking to my Bently caring large money bags with dollar signs on the front, cliche I know, but it makes me feel important. Anyways, there was a group of orphans begging for money..."
It would be like that one episode of The Simpsons when Mr. Burns ran over Bart

soxwon
01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
i think they should erect a statue of ME!

the One and Only The Great SOXWON.

atleast there would be a place for the birds to crap on LOL.

GregoryEtc
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM

I disagree. Take for instance the statue of Stone Henge from This is Spinal Tap. What it lacked in size, it more than made up for in beauty!

Plus... If we made all the statues 1/10 size, we could get 10X as many statues!

NonetheLoaiza
01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
:tongue: :dtroll:
are you calling me a troll?

seriously tho, fisk in his entire catching getup would be awesome...right behind the plate on the main concourse. i like the idea of aparicio and fox as well.

Risk
01-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Hopefully, its either Nellie or Fisk.

Father Risk is hoping for Billy Pierce (his favorite of all time).

Just my $0.02.:D:

Risk

MisterB
01-12-2005, 08:45 PM
It would be like that one episode of The Simpsons when Mr. Burns ran over Bart
"Yessss. Excellent..."

Chisox003
01-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Actually, one thing I think would be REALLY awesome is, after Frank retires, they should put a HUGE statue of him outside of the park behind home plate. If anyone deserves a huge statue, its the Big Hurt.
I thought the same thing....His trademark HR swing with the back foot off the ground, front leg bent, right hand off the bat and his left arm following through with the swing...Awesome

Fisk, Shoeless Joe, Nellie & Luis...Theyll all be normal size probably, but a HUGE statue by the main entrance of Frank would look awesome...Hell I wouldnt wait until he retired, do it....do it now!

mikef1331
01-13-2005, 12:59 AM
The Fisk statue that I envision would have him standing there in full gear, helmet on his head and his mask in his hand.

You mean a something like the pic in my new sig? :smile: This is my favorite card I have of Fisk.

Nellie_Fox
01-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Looie to Nel on the DP would be fine with me.

Veeck? I know I'm in the minority, but what did he do for the Sox besides the exploding scoreboard? He almost moved the team to Denver, and during both of his ownerships he traded away potential stars for over the hill veterans because he lacked money, leaving nothing behind when he left. Then, after he left, he spent all his time at Wrigley Field (where he planted the ivy) showing his true allegiance. He was always a Cubs fan, and only owned the Sox because the Cubs weren't available.

OurBitchinMinny
01-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Is it too early for a jose valentin or scott schoenweis statue?

NonetheLoaiza
01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
I want my Ken Hill statue!

BigEdWalsh
01-13-2005, 07:39 AM
They should put up statues of Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox next. They should put their statues either right next to eachother, or directly across from eachother on the concourse, but facing either way. They could have Luis with his arm raised in a throwing motion, and Nellie with his glove up ready to catch Luis' throw and turn two. A fitting way to forever honor one of baseball's all time best double play combos. What do you guys think?Gotta be the best idea ever!
:luis&nell
C'mon White Sox, do this!!

Hitmen77
01-13-2005, 08:53 AM
How about a statue in honor of Bill Veeck?Over Reinsdorf's dead body will that ever happen!

"our marketing surveys have shown that a vast majority of Sox fans hate Bill Veeck, Harry & Jimmy, and Nancy Faust."

soxrme
01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
They should put up statues of Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox next. They should put their statues either right next to eachother, or directly across from eachother on the concourse, but facing either way. They could have Luis with his arm raised in a throwing motion, and Nellie with his glove up ready to catch Luis' throw and turn two. A fitting way to forever honor one of baseball's all time best double play combos. What do you guys think?
I think this would be a great idea.:D:

soxrme
01-13-2005, 10:05 AM
It would be awesome to see a statue of Fisk with all his gear on...........:smile:
They would have to put in on the Fenway concourse:redneck

Ol' No. 2
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I think this would be a great idea.:D:Boyer is going to be at SoxFest on Sunday afternoon. Might be a good time to bring this up.

FightingBillini
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Boyer is going to be at SoxFest on Sunday afternoon. Might be a good time to bring this up.
I emailed Brooks about this, but he didnt get back to me yet. I am going to Soxfest on friday, not sun. Oh well. But remember, if anyone brings it up to Brooks and they actually do it, I get credit for it.:D: If anyone does mention it to him, post what he said.

JKryl
01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
There should be no question about this. While I love Fisk, we need to honor Shoeless Joe. He should be in center field looking down on the game he loved.

Realist
01-13-2005, 02:08 PM
They can put the statue of Dick Allen behind section 144 if they want. That way I'll always have someone I can smoke with. :smokin:

chisox59
01-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I think we need to honor Billy Pierce. If I recall correctly when the Veteran's Committee went through the list of players a few years ago he was dropped from consideration for the Hall of Fame. It's obvious that those people were asleep during the 1950's as was Al Lopez in the 1959 World Series when Billy didn't start games 2 and 6 (it ranks right up with Walter Payton not scoring a touchdown in Superbowl XX). The man needs to be honored while he is still among us and we can, once again, show our appreciation for him and all he did for us. I would follow that with the Fox/Aparicio DP idea.

wassagstdu
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM

I'll make a special trip to Chicago for that! What a great idea! Maybe they could put it downtown and get rid of that ugly Picasso lion.

Lip Man 1
01-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Joe Jackson by the way played left field not center. Happy Felsch played that position.

Lip

DSpivack
01-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Zeke Bonura!

BigEdWalsh
01-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Zeke Bonura!

Sure, right alongside a statue of Rip Radcliffe.

JKryl
01-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Joe Jackson by the way played left field not center. Happy Felsch played that position.

Lip

I mentioned Center not because he played there, but because that's the focal point of the stadium.

Yorke97
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I mentioned Center not because he played there, but because that's the focal point of the stadium.

AMEN. Joe Jackson NEEDS to be honored by the Sox. MLB refuses to recognize one of the finest natural hitters the game has ever seen, and so does the team whom he spent most of his career with. Heck we can't even retire a number!

FightingBillini
01-16-2005, 12:14 AM
AMEN. Joe Jackson NEEDS to be honored by the Sox. MLB refuses to recognize one of the finest natural hitters the game has ever seen, and so does the team whom he spent most of his career with. Heck we can't even retire a number!

Teams didn't wear numbers until the late 20's, so he never had one.
However, I agree with your sentiment. Jackson is one of the all-time best, and the treatment he received before and after his death is disgusting. Several months ago I saw a licensed MLB photo of Jackson with Ty Cobb. It disgusting that baseball is holding this life ban 50 years after his life ended, and even more disgusting that they thumb their nose at him while selling his photos for $60 a piece. We need a real commissioner and a real hall of fame.

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I heard after this season or before this season, Frank Thomas' Number will be retired

BridgePortNative
01-16-2005, 01:37 AM
I'll make a special trip to Chicago for that! What a great idea! Maybe they could put it downtown and get rid of that ugly Picasso lion.

I always thought of it as a baboon

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2005, 10:12 AM
I heard after this season or before this season, Frank Thomas' Number will be retiredI'm sure it will be, but not until after he officially retires.

Foulke29
01-17-2005, 10:23 AM

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/graphics/product_images/p881138reg.jpg

My favorite pose of Fisk - EVER - is the one on the top in the middle. when I was a kid, that's how I saw Fisk - diving for the impossible ball! I'd be cool if they could get a statue that looks like that...

BridgePortNative
02-11-2005, 09:35 PM
bringin' my thread back to LIFE!