PDA

View Full Version : Hummel at SS/Borchard in CF

Vsahajpal
10-19-2001, 03:20 PM
From Baseball America

Q: Mark L. Peel from Arlington Heights, IL asks:
What's your take on Joe Borchard playing center field? He seems like the prototypical right fielder; how did he really look in center this year?

A: Moderator:Yu're right, he is a prototypical right fielder. But he has an excellent arm and covers a lot of ground in center field for a big guy. He looked good in the middle garden this year at Birmingham and gained a ton of experience by playing there. He probably is the long-term answer in right for the White Sox.

Tim Hummel seems like a solid hitter; how is his defense?

A: Moderator: Hummel's defense is no better than average. He moved from shortstop to second base during the season and did not look as overwhelmed. He picked it up as the season progressed with the bat and remains an above-average prospect in the White Sox's system.

A friend of mine quite likes Danny Sandoval of the Birmingham Barons as a prospect. What can you tell us about him?

A: Moderator: Sandoval came on strong during the 2000 season as well as last winter in Venezuela, but he was a little bit of a disappointment this year by having to return to Class A Winston-Salem for part of this season. He's a decent hitter with minimal power and a bit erratic with the glove. The jury is still out on whether he's a legitimate prospect.

Another Mark from Arlington Heights, Ill asks:
I know the BA top 20's were from the managers point of view. How about yours as Southern League correspondent. Would Ed Almonte have been in your top 20? Would Rays' prospects Kennedy (4) and Crawford (10) have been higher or lower?

A: Bill Ballew: Almonte would not have been in my top 20. It's hard to get a good feel of where Kennedy would have been because he was in Orlando for such a short period of time. Still, he dominated while he was there and continued to succeed at higher levels. Crawford might have been a notch or two higher, simply because he has so much untapped potential, but there was a lot of talent in the S.L. this year.

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Vic I have a question I need to ask you offline. Could you send me an email? My email address is:

sellhigh22@yahoo.com

Vsahajpal
10-19-2001, 03:31 PM
sure, did you get it?

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
sure, did you get it?

Yes I did, thanks.