PDA

View Full Version : Do we need Vazquez?

konerko1413
01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
After the signing of El Duque, how many people think we still need vazquez?
if u think we do need him, what type of package do u think we could realistically send to arizona that would give us vazquez and still have a line up and bull pen that has recently seemed like it just fell into place (pending there are no significant injuries) and if we send over a package of minor leagures (which the d-backs seem to take easy) who would u plan to be used as call ups in case of injury?

NSSoxFan2
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I think there should be another option:

Not really but it would be nice!

OEO Magglio
01-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I think there should be another option:

Not really but it would be nice!
We don't need him, I like the rotation, I like the lineup, I like the bullpen, no need to mess with this team right now.

gobears1987
01-11-2005, 09:55 PM
We don't need him, I like the rotation, I like the lineup, I like the bullpen, no need to mess with this team right now. except to sign a utility infielder

A. Cavatica
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Of course we need him -- having 3 pitchers of the caliber of Buehrle & Garcia is a lot better than having 2, particularly if you get into the playoffs. But we can't afford him, so it's better to look for other ways to improve.

NSSoxFan2
01-11-2005, 10:05 PM
The only way I would like the trade is if the biggest name we gave up was Garland. Because I don't see that happening, we are fine as is. Also, don't forget that if in June and July we have a competing team, and one pitcher isn't producing to his potential, then KW might go out and see what the market has to offer then.

Frater Perdurabo
01-12-2005, 08:12 AM
You can never have enough pitching. You never know when someone will turn into a head case for an extended period (Garland), get injured (Hernandez) or get a sudden case of the "wilds" (Contreras). I'm with PHG; getting another starting pitcher pushes your current #5 to the bullpen, pushing your worst reliever back to Charlotte.

Now, is Vasquez worth Konerko? Probably not. But that's a completely different question. And he definitely isn't worth Konerko AND Garland. But maybe Arizona will take a package of Borchard, Diaz and Jaime Burke for Vasquez?

Jjav829
01-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Something of note. The D'backs have interest in acquiring a centerfielder who can leadoff. They have been trying to get Eric Byrnes. Meanwhile we get news that the Sox have called the A's about Eric Byrnes. Byrnes really makes no sense for this team. But he does make sense if the Sox flip Byrnes (or Rowand/Podsednik, depending on who the D'backs want) to the D'backs for Vazquez. That scenario makes the Sox interest in Byrnes a little more understandable.

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Something of note. The D'backs have interest in acquiring a centerfielder who can leadoff. They have been trying to get Eric Byrnes. Meanwhile we get news that the Sox have called the A's about Eric Byrnes. Byrnes really makes no sense for this team. But he does make sense if the Sox flip Byrnes (or Rowand/Podsednik, depending on who the D'backs want) to the D'backs for Vazquez. That scenario makes the Sox interest in Byrnes a little more understandable.Don't I recall something about Vazquez wanting to stay in the NL? Remember, he can bail out on his contract after 2005.

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050111&content_id=929954&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

scroll down to the Marlins on this page

Jjav829
01-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Don't I recall something about Vazquez wanting to stay in the NL? Remember, he can bail out on his contract after 2005.
He supposedly wants to pitch on the East Coast and in the NL. Who knows how much truth there is to that. I would assume that if Kenny is still chasing Vazquez, he has some information that Vazquez would welcome coming to Chicago. I don't know. I'm just saying that it makes sense that the Sox supposed interest in Byrnes is linked to a pursuit of Vazquez. Byrnes makes no sense on the team as currently constructed. But if Kenny is still after Vazquez, then he could look to acquire Byrnes to help make that trade. A package of Garland, Byrnes/Rowand/Podsednik (based on who Kenny will give up and who the D'backs will take), and a prospect/reliever could get the deal done.

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
He supposedly wants to pitch on the East Coast and in the NL. Who knows how much truth there is to that. I would assume that if Kenny is still chasing Vazquez, he has some information that Vazquez would welcome coming to Chicago. I don't know. I'm just saying that it makes sense that the Sox supposed interest in Byrnes is linked to a pursuit of Vazquez. Byrnes makes no sense on the team as currently constructed. But if Kenny is still after Vazquez, then he could look to acquire Byrnes to help make that trade. A package of Garland, Byrnes/Rowand/Podsednik (based on who Kenny will give up and who the D'backs will take), and a prospect/reliever could get the deal done.Could be. We all know how Kenny is when he gets his eye on a player. Byrnes certainly makes no sense for the Sox.

If the Marlins want him, who would they be offering in trade? Can Kenny get in on a 3-way? If the Marlins sign Delgado and get Vazquez, their payroll is going through the roof. They might be looking to unload a contract (Castillo, anyone?).

mdep524
01-12-2005, 01:03 PM
A package of Garland, Byrnes/Rowand/Podsednik (based on who Kenny will give up and who the D'backs will take), and a prospect/reliever could get the deal done.
I'd do that deal. Do the Sox need Vazquez? Well, that depends. Their starting staff is pretty strong right now, but it probably would need a boost to make the Sox World Serious. Contreras has a very high risk of being a big bust; El Duque may get injured; we all know Garland's problems.

They need one more guy to go behind Buehrle and Garcia come playoff time. Ben Sheets? Jason Schmidt? (potential FA after '05) Al Lieter? (potential FA after '05) BMac? We'll see what happens, but Vazquez could be that guy.

zach074
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Would i want him yes. But do we need him? Absolutely not.

Flight #24
01-12-2005, 03:46 PM
He supposedly wants to pitch on the East Coast and in the NL. Who knows how much truth there is to that. I would assume that if Kenny is still chasing Vazquez, he has some information that Vazquez would welcome coming to Chicago. I don't know. I'm just saying that it makes sense that the Sox supposed interest in Byrnes is linked to a pursuit of Vazquez. Byrnes makes no sense on the team as currently constructed. But if Kenny is still after Vazquez, then he could look to acquire Byrnes to help make that trade. A package of Garland, Byrnes/Rowand/Podsednik (based on who Kenny will give up and who the D'backs will take), and a prospect/reliever could get the deal done.
Well, the trade would end up being Garland+prospect+whoever we traded for Byrnes for Vazquez.

Given what I'd guess we'll need to send over for Byrnes (who's a solid, young OF), I doubt that would be a reasonable trade.