PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark says...

doublem23
01-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet or not, but yesterday morning on SportsCenter, they had Jasyon Stark predicting where some of the big names in baseball will wind up by Opening Day '05 (Delgado, Sosa, etc.)... Stark says that Magglio Ordonez will wind up in Detroit since the Tigers are desperate to sign anyone after losing on Glaus, etc.

NonetheLoaiza
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I would obviously like Maggs out of the division so that we can't be hurt by his bat (should he actually play more than 30 games). The logic Stark uses is understandable so the Tiggers would desperately pay out the wazoo to get Ordonez.

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't put that much stock in anything Jayson Stark says.

StillMissOzzie
01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
No knock on Jayson Stark in particular, but ESPN was about 25% in predicting where the top 50 FA's would sign when I kept track of them in 2003.

Not too impressive.

SMO
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 04:54 PM
No knock on Jayson Stark in particular, but ESPN was about 25% in predicting where the top 50 FA's would sign when I kept track of them in 2003.

Not too impressive.

SMO
:gulp:
I'm surprised the percentage is that high. ESPN is terrible when it comes to predicting where players will end up. The trade-deadline percentage was even worse, IIRC. Those guys just throw **** at the wall to see if anything sticks.

NSSoxFan2
01-11-2005, 04:55 PM
I think that Magglio Benedict will go to the other side of town. And I can care less!!

Nixey 02
01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm surprised the percentage is that high. ESPN is terrible when it comes to predicting where players will end up. The trade-deadline percentage was even worse, IIRC. Those guys just throw **** at the wall to see if anything sticks.

Their percentage isn't even that high. Right now, they have predicted exactly 4 out of 40 (10%) correct. Nice job. Experts, my a**. :angry:

bhayes520
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
see the people predicting a super bowl slot from seattle this year, as well as many of the worst basektball predictions...EVER. college bball as well. i think that they are a little too worried about putting out funny (insert dumb for funny) commercials and trying to step into the world of reality tv (see dream job), rather than actually doing good sports (also see putting that damn water-skiing squirrel into a top 10 weekly:dtroll:

Brian26
01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I think that Magglio Benedict will go to the other side of town. And I can care less!!
How about Benedict Ordonez? Yeah, it's looking more and more like the bastard will go to the crybabies.

Fitting, isn't it?

Viva Medias B's
01-11-2005, 08:28 PM
How about Benedict Ordonez? Yeah, it's looking more and more like the bastard will go to the crybabies.

Fitting, isn't it?
I call Ordonez "Fredo."

NSSoxFan2
01-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Fitting, isn't it?
I was just checking this thread, and noticed my stupidity. I put two first names together. Benedict Ordonez is how I will refer to Maggs if he goes to the north side.

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 08:40 PM
I call Ordonez "Fredo."
Why "Fredo?"

JoseCanseco6969
01-11-2005, 09:57 PM
I call Ordonez "Fredo."
"I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

illinibk
01-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Their percentage isn't even that high. Right now, they have predicted exactly 4 out of 40 (10%) correct. Nice job. Experts, my a**. :angry:
How did they ever get four right? It's a miracle.

Nick@Nite
01-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Maggs is from Venezuela. Does he even know who is Benedict Arnold? :D:

NonetheLoaiza
01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't put any stock into what ESPN or any of their writers say either. But, if the Tigers are going to go after Ordonez, it makes sense that they might get him because they will throw money at him. Not to mention, he is comfortable in the AL Central. But, because Jayson Stark did say it, it probably won't happen.

Nixey 02
01-12-2005, 11:12 AM
How did they ever get four right? It's a miracle.
Three of their four correct predictions were re-signings:

Varitek
Morris
Benson

Sexson was the fourth correct prediction.

With the Dodgers signing Lowe, the wizards at ESPN are now 4 for 41.

veeter
01-12-2005, 11:23 AM

Fitting, isn't it? Why do you say it's looking more and more like he'll go to the Cubs? If you go by the number of b.s. articles written by the local papers then, yes. But if you look at his agent and the reluctance to spend money this off-season by the bearettes I see no scenario he signs with them. He will stay in the American league and battle knee pain all year. In those times of pain he can DH.

WinningUgly!
01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Three of their four correct predictions were re-signings:

Varitek
Morris
Benson

Sexson was the fourth correct prediction.

With the Dodgers signing Lowe, the wizards at ESPN are now 4 for 41.
Wow! They're even off their miserable pace of 10/50 last year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents). Six of the ones they correctly predicted, were players resigning with their old team. :rolleyes:

Nixey 02
01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Wow! They're even off their miserable pace of 10/50 last year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents). Six of the ones they correctly predicted, were players resigning with their old team. :rolleyes:
Miserable, indeed. In the interest of accuracy, I have re-visited this year's list yet again and the monkey-esque baseball "experts" at ESPN are actually 5 for 45 (.111)
(their fifth correct pick includes a possibly-retiring/possibly-returning Roger Clemens, who has accepted arbitration).

Anyway, the final 5 are as follows (with ESPN projection in parenthesis):

#6 Delgado (Marlins)
#7 Ordonez (Mets)
#37 Burnitz (Expos/Nationals)
#40 Batista (Expos/Nationals)
#43 Loaiza (Rangers)

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm with you on this, I remember in June or July they said Carlos Beltran would end up with us:rolleyes: Everybody else they thought would go to the Yonkees

HebrewHammer
01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
#40 Batista (Expos/Nationals)
If we're talking Tony, he just signed to play in Japan.