PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Threatening to Leave Wrigley?

Viva Magglio
10-19-2001, 07:08 AM
Tribune to Daley: Hurry up and play (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wrig19.html)

This article by Fran Spielman in today's Sun-Times implies that the Cubs are considering moving out of Wrigley Field if Mayor Daley does not act fast on Tribune Co.'s requests to expand the ballpark. As Mike Murphy said on the Score this morning, that is a bluff. The Cubs would never leave Wrigley. He is probably right, but I would not have a problem with the Cubs leaving Planet Earth, let alone Wrigley Field.

Memo to Cubs (and, for that matter, Fire fans too): Mayor Daley has much more imporant items on his agenda than playground upgrades for you guys. Especially since the events of September 11th, we have greater issues to deal with. Ripping Mayor Daley over not putting your desires atop his agenda is highly inappropraite. In New York, all plans for new stadia have been put on hold since you know when. Imagine what the reaction in the Big Apple would be if the Boss ripped Mayor Giuliani over putting a new Yankee Stadium on hold.

Tragg
10-19-2001, 07:40 AM
For an organization that is supposedly Chicago's team, and represents the ethic and spirit of the great city, as compared to the scum on the south side, those poll numbers are awfully weak. Only 60% support a renovation (we're not talking about hundreds of millions for a new stadium).

More proof that Cubdom is a fraud, a media invention - there are other places for the idiots to go and get drunk on summer afternoons.

duke of dorwood
10-19-2001, 08:19 AM
Cubdom is a fraud. A kingdom invented by those at Cubune tower. Imagine the nerve of blackmail in these nervous times.
They are arrogant enough to get away with it. They are such a necessity to life.

:nocubs

cheeses_h_rice
10-19-2001, 09:18 AM
The day the Flubbies voluntarily leave Golden Goose Field, as I like to call it, is the day I grow a third arm. Flubs management knows very well that 40-60% of their seats are filled on any given day BECAUSE they play where they play, including the location within the city and the fancy neighborhood and the park itself.

The park and neighborhood are the only things keeping the Flubs from becoming a redheaded stepchild of a team a la the Pirates, Royals, or Expos. They would never dare leave that park voluntarily.

Spiff
10-19-2001, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
In New York, all plans for new stadia have been put on hold since you know when. Imagine what the reaction in the Big Apple would be if the Boss ripped Mayor Giuliani over putting a new Yankee Stadium on hold.

Why would Springsteen care about a new Yankee Stadium??? :)

Iwritecode
10-19-2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The day the Flubbies voluntarily leave Golden Goose Field, as I like to call it, is the day I grow a third arm. Flubs management knows very well that 40-60% of their seats are filled on any given day BECAUSE they play where they play, including the location within the city and the fancy neighborhood and the park itself.

The park and neighborhood are the only things keeping the Flubs from becoming a redheaded stepchild of a team a la the Pirates, Royals, or Expos. They would never dare leave that park voluntarily.

Well said Cheeses. Just try to get one of their "fans" to admit to what you said.

Dadawg_77
10-19-2001, 03:38 PM
If the Cubs moved out, would you be happy if the Sox moved into Wrigley

GASHWOUND
10-19-2001, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Exactly. I never read or heard such Bull. Thats like Sham_ME saying he would stop doing the "hop" after he makes contact with the ball. It woud never happen. How arrogant of the flubs to threaten to leave "The Urinal?" WHO CARES!!!!!! Leave, my life will go on as normal.
Does anyone know if Mayor Daley is a Sox fan or a Chub fan?
I think Mayor Daley should threaten them by saying, "how about we get rid of all those bars cause it promotes alcholism and the empty lots could be used for parking lots!"

Jerry_Manuel
10-19-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Does anyone know if Mayor Daley is a Sox fan or a Chub fan?

Sox fan as far as I know.

Viva Magglio
10-19-2001, 09:44 PM
Mayor Daley is a BIG White Sox fan, as was his father. Remember, the White Sox play in Bridgeport which is the home base of Daleydom.

Soxheads
10-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The day the Sox move to Wrigley, I will devote myself to a life of celibacy.

ihatethecubs
10-19-2001, 11:47 PM
the talk ive heard from fire fans, they seem to think the fire is going to get a new stadium built on sacred ground, the parking lot where old comiskey once stood or on armour park. Thats never going to happen. they also think that while soldier field is under repair, they are going to play at comiskey. do we want people throwing toilet paper rolls and smoke bombs on our field while the turf gets ripped up and painted on?

what fire fans think (http://fireultras.com/usa/newstadion.htm)

Streets
10-20-2001, 02:18 AM
I think it would be great to see the Fire get their own stadium, in the city as well. There are also plans for a stadium in the suburbs. That's just not gonna cut it. Keep them in the city. As far as it being next to Comiskey...I don't think that's such a bad idea.

doublem23
10-20-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Streets
I think it would be great to see the Fire get their own stadium, in the city as well. There are also plans for a stadium in the suburbs. That's just not gonna cut it. Keep them in the city. As far as it being next to Comiskey...I don't think that's such a bad idea.

Whatever. Does anyone really care about the Fire, cuz I sure as hell don't.

Bmr31
10-20-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

uhhh, no??

Dadawg_77
10-20-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

uhhh, no??

honestly, I would love it for matter of personal greed. I would I have to spend the buck 50 to get there. The Sox would be playing right down the street from me.

Soxheads
10-20-2001, 10:25 PM
In my lifetime, I dont want to see the sox playing at any place not named comiskey.

CLR01
10-21-2001, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
the talk ive heard from fire fans, they seem to think the fire is going to get a new stadium built on sacred ground, the parking lot where old comiskey once stood or on armour park. Thats never going to happen. they also think that while soldier field is under repair, they are going to play at comiskey. do we want people throwing toilet paper rolls and smoke bombs on our field while the turf gets ripped up and painted on?

what fire fans think (http://fireultras.com/usa/newstadion.htm)

IMO, the city should just give Comiskey to the fire and build the sox a new stadium. It suits them perfect, they can get rid of the upper deck seats. That will put the stadium capacity somewhere around 25,000 which is exactly what MLS wants for their teams. The can use the empty concrete where the upper deck seats used to stand for advertisements. Companies would eat that up, the ads would be large and could easily be seen from the sky, road, seats.

FarWestChicago
10-21-2001, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

IMO, the city should just give Comiskey to the fire and build the sox a new stadium. It suits them perfect, they can get rid of the upper deck seats. That will put the stadium capacity somewhere around 25, 000 which is exactly what MLS wants for their teams. The can use the empty concrete where the upper deck seats used to stand for advertisements. Companies would eat that up, the ads would be large and could easily be seen from the sky, road, seats. You'll stop at nothing to get the Sox to move to Schaumburg. :)

CLR01
10-21-2001, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You'll stop at nothing to get the Sox to move to Schaumburg. :)

LOL, i think i will propose my ideas to the city of chicago, Schaumburg and JR and his buddies. Then i will immediately return home and start getting rid of some of these houses while waiting for the answer. If they say no, well atleast i have a better view.