PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Sox Attendance?

JoseCanseco6969
01-11-2005, 10:16 AM
With the great offseason so far, do you think it might translate into more attendance at the cell??

chisoxmike
01-11-2005, 10:20 AM
If the team stays in contention ALL SEASON long attendance will be higher than 2004, if they fold after the all-star break, or even not get off to a good start, attendance wont improve much.

Baby Fisk
01-11-2005, 10:31 AM
I predict the entire season will be sold out by March.

Enough prediction threads already.

Cellview22
01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
It's hard to predict attendance. A lot depends on weather..remember last year :angry: .

I'm surprised the Bulls are having low attendance. They're finally winning, and last night there were numerous sections in the 200 and 300 level that were completely empty.

mweflen
01-11-2005, 10:37 AM
It all depends on the type of start they get. "Great offseasons" don't mean great attendance, at least for the Sox. Sox fans are a discriminating, critical bunch (and thank goodness, I say), and don't pay to see a lackluster team.

gosox41
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
With the great offseason so far, do you think it might translate into more attendance at the cell??
It would be nice if there were more advance tickets sales this year.

I'm going with slightly higher then last year. I'm feeing to optimistic of late.

Bob

ewokpelts
01-11-2005, 11:48 AM
It's hard to predict attendance. A lot depends on weather..remember last year :angry: .

I'm surprised the Bulls are having low attendance. They're finally winning, and last night there were numerous sections in the 200 and 300 level that were completely empty.it is cold out, and to many, they havent proven anything yet....and, it was the warriors
Gene

24thStFan
01-11-2005, 12:07 PM
I voted for slightly better attendance because I think the '05 team will be better than the '04 team. However, a few things have to happen:

1. Good weather in April. From what I seeing on the news these days, you poor guys in Chi-town are having a brutal winter! I'm wishing for an early spring for Chicago--you deserve it.

2. A fast start. The Sox have to have a winning record in April and May. There are big early series with Minnesota, Cleveland, and Detroit, as well as a (dreaded) road trip to the west coast in May.

3. Be in contention after the All-Star Break. In August, two series with the Yankees and another West coast trip could be key.

4. A strong finish. The Sox need to win the Cleveland and Minnesota series in September. In fact, it would be nice if the Sox won all their September series.

SoxFan48
01-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Well said 24th Fan. If the Sox start fast, if the Sox continue fast and if the Sox end fast, fans will want to be part of it. Three ifs.

24thStFan
01-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Well said 24th Fan. If the Sox start fast, if the Sox continue fast and if the Sox end fast, fans will want to be part of it. Three ifs.Don't forget IF the weather cooperates, too! :D:

BeerHandle
01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
The team needs to be consistently win in 2005 to increase attendance. The Sox fans are sick of the team starting slow and then chasing to the top only to fall apart again!

BridgePortNative
01-12-2005, 12:15 PM
if the 2005 Sox can play as good all year as they did in May 2004 expect a large attendance

Rush20
01-12-2005, 01:09 PM
C'mon - The GREEN seats will secure 35,000 per game.! :smile:

bhayes520
01-12-2005, 01:29 PM
it is cold out, and to many, they havent proven anything yet....and, it was the warriors
Gene

plus, they were so good last year in attendance and all they did was lose, so people don't want to waste their money on an unproven team....

once they reach the .500 mark i think that they will start hoping back on the bandwagon

in regards to the white sox attendance, i voted for it to stay basically the same because of the fact that spring perpetually sucks in chicago, and I don't see that changing anytime soon

Lip Man 1
01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Cell:

You talk about the Bulls 'winning.' Last I looked they were still under .500 weren't they?

Let's see what happens when they hit a stretch where they are playing good teams.

Lip

Flight #24
01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Cell:

You talk about the Bulls 'winning.' Last I looked they were still under .500 weren't they?

Let's see what happens when they hit a stretch where they are playing good teams.

Lip
You mean teams like the Lakers, Pistons, Magic, Pacers, TWolves, Cavs?

gosox41
01-12-2005, 01:50 PM
You mean teams like the Lakers, Pistons, Magic, Pacers, TWolves, Cavs?
Good one.:supernana:

Bob

mweflen
01-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Another issue to consider is how the new tiered price gouging schemes will affect walk-up business, which historically has been a huge component of Sox attendance. With prices for "Prime" and "Premier" dates up to $9 more per ticket than regular dates, (regardless of section, as well - how many $29 UD seats do you envision flying out of the ticket windows?) attendance for those dates may actually see a downturn, unless the Sox are in 1st place.

On the other hand, 9 half-price monday dates (5 more than last year) will probably mean 50,000 more total attendance on the year. The question mark is on Tuesdays - last year, tuesday attendance was way up - if they do not continue the pepsi promotion, though, expect 5,000 fewer per game for those 12 dates.

batmanZoSo
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I think the reasonable prediction is slightly greater than 04, basically because the team itself is slightly greater than 04. Maybe a lot greater, but that depends.

If we win the division with a hot or at least competitive start to the season, we will surely go past 2 million and eclipse last year. I think this team has the potential to be 2000-good in terms of win-loss (and better talent wise all around with the much improved pitching). At least we will repeat the last two years and be in it until the final few weeks. But if any year lately could've been expected to be "different," it's this year. This is easily the best equipped team to win the division since KW took over and as such, the potential* biggest draw of the teams during his era.

If this team were to catch fire and dominate like the 2000 squad did, expect at least 2.3 million. The reason we didn't draw that amount in 2000 is that we were expected to stink and of course the you-know-what-trade was fresh in everyone's memories...as well as the strike fiasco for that matter. But now it seems we've won some of those lost fans back a bit--thanks in part to a much nicer looking park and whatever else--based on all the near sellouts and very respectable crowds we had last year. So becoming one of the bigger draws in the league (instead of being near the bottom) is not that far out of our grasp.

LVSoxFan
01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
The weather's somewhat of a factor, but the simple fact is, the fans show up when the Sox are winning. Which is what's unique about Sox fans in Chicago: the Cubs, Bulls and Bears can suuuuuck and still sell out--no dice at the Cell.

And while attendance overall may have been good last year, after the post ASG collapse and the Twins sweep (I was at two of the games in that series--doh!), attendance most DEFINITELY dived. I was there, I saw it.

Even the final home game--on a beautiful day, as it turned out--wasn't even close to full.

Winning puts fans in the seats on the South Side.

jabrch
01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
On the other hand, 9 half-price monday dates (5 more than last year) will probably mean 50,000 more total attendance on the year. The question mark is on Tuesdays - last year, tuesday attendance was way up - if they do not continue the pepsi promotion, though, expect 5,000 fewer per game for those 12 dates.
I hope something is done to fix Tuesday Night Fights...That got to the point of ridiculous last year.

HoustonAstros967
01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
With all their offseason acquisitions I could see the attendance rising greatly.

rdivaldi
01-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Good one.:supernana:

BobTell me about it. Good G-d Lip, do you have to be so negative about everything?

The Bulls are playing great ball...

eastchicagosoxfan
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I voted for slightly better attendance because I think the '05 team will be better than the '04 team. However, a few things have to happen:

1. Good weather in April. From what I seeing on the news these days, you poor guys in Chi-town are having a brutal winter! I'm wishing for an early spring for Chicago--you deserve it.

2. A fast start. The Sox have to have a winning record in April and May. There are big early series with Minnesota, Cleveland, and Detroit, as well as a (dreaded) road trip to the west coast in May.

3. Be in contention after the All-Star Break. In August, two series with the Yankees and another West coast trip could be key.

4. A strong finish. The Sox need to win the Cleveland and Minnesota series in September. In fact, it would be nice if the Sox won all their September series.That sums it up pretty darn well.

JoseCanseco6969
01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Even the final home game--on a beautiful day, as it turned out--wasn't even close to full.

I still have my ticket. Didnt feel like driving 70 minutes to see a meaningless game but kinda wish I had gone. First time I ever ate a ticket myself.

zach074
01-12-2005, 07:23 PM
More people will come, green seats and speedy players, whats not to like?:smile:

chisox06
01-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Attendance wont be affected by who you sign or how optimisitc the fans are before the season starts. It just comes down to how well the team plays. Especially with sox fans, if the team is out by the all star break, then the attencence will be lower. If were in it in September attendence will increase. Unless your the Cubs thats the way it works in Chicago.

Norberto7
01-13-2005, 10:30 PM
C'mon - The GREEN seats will secure 35,000 per game.! :smile:

Eh, only the scout seats, bleachers, and left field stands will be sold out opening day. Will increase throughout the year, though. Especially after long road trips.

SouthSideHitman
01-13-2005, 10:57 PM
With the great offseason so far, do you think it might translate into more attendance at the cell?? Great sig! The Big Lebowski is possibly the greatest movie ever. Ah, the Cohen brothers.

Anyway, attendence will definitly go up because the Sox have pitching, so they'll be in it, so people will come to the park. As the park looks better, the numbers keep creeping up and if we're in contention all year, as we should be, they will come. We also have more games per month in the summer than spring.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-13-2005, 11:14 PM

I'm surprised the Bulls are having low attendance. They're finally winning, and last night there were numerous sections in the 200 and 300 level that were completely empty.
I was there, it was actually pretty full. Not sold out, but very close to it. I think they also had a big walk-up crowd. Only reason it didn't sell-out is because of the rain.